Q. Unwanted website titled with Can’t play this video frequently popping up! What can I do to stop this from happening and remove unwanted pop-ups?
The full text of the pop-up is:
Can’t play this video! Perhaps your browser doesn’t allow video playback. Please click the Allow button to watch the video. Click Allow! Please click the Allow button to watch the video.
A. “Can’t play this video!” is a misleading website that designed to force you into clicking “Allow” button in order to trick you into subscribing push notifications (pop-up ads). If those popups keep appearing and greatly affect you, then it indicate that your PC system is affected with PUP (potentially unwanted program) or adware (also known as ‘ad-supported’ software). You can search whether there is adware in your control panel or undesired plugin on your web browser. If any, you should first remove it from your PC system.
If your computer is infected with adware, you may experience any of the following symptoms:
- advertising banners appear on pages that you are visiting;
- when you go to a web site, you’re automatically redirected to another web-site that you do not intend to visit;
- browser pop ups appear and recommend fake updates and other unwanted apps;
- other unwanted programs or malicious software may be installed without your consent.
If you want to get rid of “Can’t play this video” pop-ups, you will not succeed, because the adware is very stubborn. Using the following instructions, you surely can remove “Can’t play this video” pop-up completely from your web browsers.
How to remove “Can’t play this video” pop-ups
There are a few ways which can be used to delete “Can’t play this video” pop up. But, not all potentially unwanted applications like this adware can be completely deleted utilizing only manual ways. In many cases you’re not able to delete any adware using standard Windows options. In order to get rid of “Can’t play this video” pop-ups you need complete a few manual steps and use reliable removal tools. Most experienced security professionals states that Zemana Anti-Malware, MalwareBytes or HitmanPro utilities are a right choice. These free applications are able to find and remove “Can’t play this video” popups from your machine and revert back your web-browser settings to defaults.
To remove “Can’t play this video” pop-up, use the steps below:
- Get rid of “Can’t play this video” pop ups without any tools
- How to remove “Can’t play this video” pop up automatically
- Run AdBlocker to block “Can’t play this video” and stay safe online
- Method of “Can’t play this video” pop ups intrusion into your PC system
- Finish words
Get rid of “Can’t play this video” pop ups without any tools
These steps to get rid of “Can’t play this video” popups without any apps are presented below. Be sure to carry out the step-by-step tutorial completely to fully get rid of this adware responsible for redirecting your browser to the “Can’t play this video” website.
Remove potentially unwanted applications through the MS Windows Control Panel
Check out the Windows Control Panel (Programs and Features section) to see all installed software. We recommend to click on the “Date Installed” in order to sort the list of applications by the date you installed them. If you see any unknown and dubious applications, they are the ones you need to remove.
Make sure you have closed all web-browsers and other programs. Next, delete any unrequested and suspicious programs from your Control panel.
Windows 10, 8.1, 8
Now, press the Windows button, type “Control panel” in search and press Enter. Select “Programs and Features”, then “Uninstall a program”.
Look around the entire list of apps installed on your personal computer. Most probably, one of them is the adware that causes a large number of undesired “Can’t play this video” pop-ups. Select the questionable program or the application that name is not familiar to you and delete it.
Windows Vista, 7
From the “Start” menu in Microsoft Windows, choose “Control Panel”. Under the “Programs” icon, choose “Uninstall a program”.
Choose the dubious or any unknown applications, then click “Uninstall/Change” button to delete this unwanted application from your computer.
Click the “Start” button, select “Control Panel” option. Click on “Add/Remove Programs”.
Choose an undesired application, then press “Change/Remove” button. Follow the prompts.
Get rid of “Can’t play this video” pop-up from IE
The IE reset is great if your web browser is hijacked or you have unwanted add-ons or toolbars on your web browser, which installed by an malware.
First, run the IE, then click ‘gear’ icon . It will open the Tools drop-down menu on the right part of the web-browser, then click the “Internet Options” as on the image below.
In the “Internet Options” screen, select the “Advanced” tab, then press the “Reset” button. The IE will open the “Reset Internet Explorer settings” prompt. Further, press the “Delete personal settings” check box to select it. Next, click the “Reset” button as on the image below.
When the task is finished, press “Close” button. Close the Internet Explorer and restart your PC system for the changes to take effect. This step will help you to restore your internet browser’s startpage, default search engine and new tab to default state.
Get rid of “Can’t play this video” from Firefox by resetting web-browser settings
If your Mozilla Firefox browser is re-directed to “Can’t play this video” without your permission or an unknown search provider shows results for your search, then it may be time to perform the web-browser reset. However, your saved passwords and bookmarks will not be changed, deleted or cleared.
Click the Menu button (looks like three horizontal lines), and click the blue Help icon located at the bottom of the drop down menu as displayed on the screen below.
A small menu will appear, click the “Troubleshooting Information”. On this page, click “Refresh Firefox” button as on the image below.
Follow the onscreen procedure to restore your Firefox internet browser settings to their original state.
Remove “Can’t play this video” pop-ups from Google Chrome
Another solution to remove “Can’t play this video” pop ups from Chrome is Reset Chrome settings. This will disable malicious extensions and reset Google Chrome settings to default values. Essential information such as bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, cookies, auto-fill data and personal dictionaries will not be removed.
- First launch the Google Chrome and click Menu button (small button in the form of three dots).
- It will open the Google Chrome main menu. Select More Tools, then click Extensions.
- You’ll see the list of installed add-ons. If the list has the extension labeled with “Installed by enterprise policy” or “Installed by your administrator”, then complete the following tutorial: Remove Chrome extensions installed by enterprise policy.
- Now open the Chrome menu once again, press the “Settings” menu.
- You will see the Google Chrome’s settings page. Scroll down and click “Advanced” link.
- Scroll down again and press the “Reset” button.
- The Google Chrome will display the reset profile settings page as shown on the image above.
- Next click the “Reset” button.
- Once this procedure is complete, your web browser’s search engine by default, homepage and newtab page will be restored to their original defaults.
- To learn more, read the post How to reset Chrome settings to default.
How to remove “Can’t play this video” pop up automatically
It’s very difficult for classic antivirus to detect adware software and other kinds of potentially unwanted software. We suggest you run a free anti-adware such as Zemana AntiMalware, MalwareBytes Anti Malware (MBAM) and Hitman Pro from our list below. These utilities will allow you scan and remove trojans, malware, spyware, keyloggers, bothersome and malicious adware from an infected PC system.
How to delete “Can’t play this video” pop up with Zemana Anti-Malware (ZAM)
We suggest using the Zemana Anti Malware (ZAM) which are completely clean your computer of the adware. The tool is an advanced malware removal program created by (c) Zemana lab. It’s able to help you get rid of potentially unwanted applications, browser hijackers, malicious software, toolbars, ransomware and adware software that causes internet browsers to display annoying “Can’t play this video” pop ups.
Zemana Anti Malware (ZAM) can be downloaded from the following link. Save it on your Windows desktop.
Author: Zemana Ltd
Category: Security tools
Update: July 16, 2019
When downloading is finished, close all windows on your personal computer. Further, run the setup file named Zemana.AntiMalware.Setup. If the “User Account Control” prompt pops up as displayed on the image below, click the “Yes” button.
It will open the “Setup wizard” which will help you install Zemana on the PC. Follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
Once install is finished successfully, Zemana Anti-Malware will automatically start and you may see its main window as on the image below.
Next, click the “Scan” button for scanning your personal computer for the adware software responsible for redirecting your browser to the “Can’t play this video” site. This process may take quite a while, so please be patient. While the Zemana Anti Malware utility is scanning, you can see how many objects it has identified as being infected by malicious software.
Once that process is done, you can check all items detected on your PC system. Review the results once the tool has done the system scan. If you think an entry should not be quarantined, then uncheck it. Otherwise, simply press “Next” button.
The Zemana Anti Malware (ZAM) will remove adware software responsible for “Can’t play this video” popups and add threats to the Quarantine. After finished, you can be prompted to restart your personal computer.
Scan your system and remove “Can’t play this video” pop ups with Hitman Pro
In order to make sure that no more malicious folders and files related to adware are inside your machine, you must run another effective malware scanner. We recommend to run Hitman Pro. No installation is necessary with this tool.
- Please go to the following link to download the latest version of HitmanPro for Windows. Save it on your Windows desktop or in any other place.
Category: Security tools
Update: June 28, 2018
- When downloading is finished, start the Hitman Pro, double-click the HitmanPro.exe file.
- If the “User Account Control” prompts, click Yes to continue.
- In the HitmanPro window, click the “Next” . HitmanPro program will scan through the whole machine for the adware software which designed to reroute your web-browser to various ad web-pages such as the “Can’t play this video”. Depending on your personal computer, the scan can take anywhere from a few minutes to close to an hour. While the Hitman Pro program is scanning, you may see how many objects it has identified as threat.
- After the scan is complete, you’ll be displayed the list of all detected items on your personal computer. Review the results once the utility has complete the system scan. If you think an entry should not be quarantined, then uncheck it. Otherwise, simply click “Next”. Now, press the “Activate free license” button to begin the free 30 days trial to get rid of all malware found.
How to remove “Can’t play this video” with MalwareBytes AntiMalware
If you’re still having issues with the “Can’t play this video” pop up — or just wish to check your machine occasionally for adware and other malicious software — download MalwareBytes Anti Malware (MBAM). It’s free for home use, and scans for and removes various unwanted software that attacks your machine or degrades system performance. MalwareBytes Free can get rid of adware, PUPs as well as malware, including ransomware and trojans.
Download MalwareBytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) by clicking on the link below. Save it directly to your Windows Desktop.
Category: Security tools
Update: April 15, 2020
Once the downloading process is complete, close all applications and windows on your PC. Open a directory in which you saved it. Double-click on the icon that’s named mb3-setup as shown on the screen below.
When the installation starts, you’ll see the “Setup wizard” which will help you install Malwarebytes on your PC system.
Once install is done, you’ll see window as on the image below.
Now press the “Scan Now” button to perform a system scan with this tool for the adware responsible for “Can’t play this video” pop-up. This procedure can take some time, so please be patient. While the utility is scanning, you can see how many objects and files has already scanned.
Once MalwareBytes Free completes the scan, you can check all threats detected on your computer. When you’re ready, click “Quarantine Selected” button.
The Malwarebytes will now get rid of adware responsible for redirecting your web browser to the “Can’t play this video” web-site. After that process is done, you may be prompted to reboot your system.
The following video explains few simple steps on how to delete browser hijacker infection, adware and other malware with MalwareBytes AntiMalware.
Run AdBlocker to block “Can’t play this video” and stay safe online
By installing an ad blocking program like AdGuard, you’re able to block “Can’t play this video”, autoplaying video ads and remove tons of distracting and annoying ads on sites.
- Download AdGuard from the link below.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: November 15, 2018
- After downloading it, start the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” program window. Follow the prompts.
- After the installation is complete, press “Skip” to close the install application and use the default settings, or click “Get Started” to see an quick tutorial that will allow you get to know AdGuard better.
- In most cases, the default settings are enough and you do not need to change anything. Each time, when you start your computer, AdGuard will start automatically and stop unwanted advertisements, block “Can’t play this video” pop-ups, as well as other harmful or misleading web pages. For an overview of all the features of the program, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the icon called AdGuard, that can be found on your desktop.
Method of “Can’t play this video” pop ups intrusion into your PC system
After completing the few simple steps above, your personal computer should be free from adware software, which cause undesired “Can’t play this video” pop-ups to appear and other malware. The IE, Chrome, Edge and Firefox will no longer reroute you to various undesired websites like “Can’t play this video”. Unfortunately, if the steps does not help you, then you have caught a new adware, and then the best way – ask for help here.