What is PUP.Winlogon.Heuristic? Experienced security professionals has determined that the PUP.Winlogon.Heuristic is a malicious software. It is dropped or downloaded on your personal computer while surfing the Internet. This security threat can perform a number of harmful actions of a developers’s choice on your PC system.
The PUP.Winlogon.Heuristic may alter system settings and files, create new folders, download and install other malicious software onto infected system, use your computer for malicious actions, send information about you to a remote hacker.
The PUP.Winlogon.Heuristic can steal your private information such as: your ip address, what is a web page you are viewing now, what you are looking for on the Internet, which links you are clicking, and much, much more. This virus may monetize its functionality by collecting data from your browsing sessions and selling it to third party companies. This puts your personal information at a security risk.
So, if you find that your antivirus software detects the PUP.Winlogon.Heuristic threat, then you don’t need to wait. Complete the steps below and remove PUP.Winlogon.Heuristic virus without a wait.
Remove PUP.Winlogon.Heuristic (removal tutorial)
There are a simple guidance below that will assist you to delete PUP.Winlogon.Heuristic virus from your MS Windows system. The most effective solution to remove this virus is to follow the manual steps and then run Zemana Free, MalwareBytes or Hitman Pro automatic tools (all are free). The manual steps will help to weaken this virus and these malicious software removal tools will completely delete PUP.Winlogon.Heuristic virus and return the computer settings to default.
To remove PUP.Winlogon.Heuristic, perform the steps below:
- Delete potentially unwanted software using Windows Control Panel
- Use Zemana Anti Malware (ZAM) to get rid of PUP.Winlogon.Heuristic virus
- Remove PUP.Winlogon.Heuristic from web browsers with HitmanPro
- How to automatically get rid of PUP.Winlogon.Heuristic with MalwareBytes Free
- Delete PUP.Winlogon.Heuristic from Firefox
- Remove PUP.Winlogon.Heuristic from Chrome
- Get rid of PUP.Winlogon.Heuristic virus from Internet Explorer
- How to stay safe online
- Finish words
Delete potentially unwanted software using Windows Control Panel
First, go to Microsoft Windows Control Panel and uninstall dubious apps, all programs you don’t remember installing. It’s important to pay the most attention to apps you installed just before PUP.Winlogon.Heuristic virus appeared on your web browser. If you don’t know what a program does, look for the answer on the World Wide Web.
Press Windows button , then click Search . Type “Control panel”and press Enter. If you using Windows XP or Windows 7, then click “Start” and select “Control Panel”. It will display the Windows Control Panel as displayed on the image below.
Further, click “Uninstall a program”
It will display a list of all applications installed on your PC. Scroll through the all list, and delete any dubious and unknown programs.
Use Zemana Anti Malware (ZAM) to get rid of PUP.Winlogon.Heuristic virus
Zemana Anti Malware highly recommended, because it can scan for security threats such adware and viruss that most ‘classic’ antivirus apps fail to pick up on. Moreover, if you have any PUP.Winlogon.Heuristic virus removal problems which cannot be fixed by this utility automatically, then Zemana Free provides 24X7 online assistance from the highly experienced support staff.
Now you can install and use Zemana AntiMalware (ZAM) to delete PUP.Winlogon.Heuristic virus from your web-browser by following the steps below:
Visit the page linked below to download Zemana Free setup file named Zemana.AntiMalware.Setup on your system. Save it on your MS Windows desktop or in any other place.
Author: Zemana Ltd
Category: Security tools
Update: July 16, 2019
Start the installation package after it has been downloaded successfully and then follow the prompts to setup this utility on your computer.
During installation you can change certain settings, but we suggest you do not make any changes to default settings.
When setup is finished, this malicious software removal tool will automatically start and update itself. You will see its main window as shown in the figure below.
Now click the “Scan” button to perform a system scan for the PUP.Winlogon.Heuristic, other malware and potentially unwanted software. A system scan can take anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes, depending on your computer. While the Zemana AntiMalware (ZAM) tool is scanning, you may see count of objects it has identified as being affected by malicious software.
Once finished, Zemana Free will show a list of all items found by the scan. Review the results once the tool has complete the system scan. If you think an entry should not be quarantined, then uncheck it. Otherwise, simply press “Next” button.
The Zemana Anti-Malware will remove PUP.Winlogon.Heuristic, other malware and potentially unwanted programs and move threats to the program’s quarantine. When the procedure is finished, you can be prompted to restart your computer to make the change take effect.
Remove PUP.Winlogon.Heuristic from web browsers with HitmanPro
Hitman Pro is a free portable program that scans your personal computer for ad supported software, potentially unwanted software including the PUP.Winlogon.Heuristic threat and allows delete them easily. Moreover, it’ll also help you get rid of any malicious internet browser extensions and add-ons.
- Installing the HitmanPro is simple. First you will need to download Hitman Pro on your personal computer by clicking on the following link.
Category: Security tools
Update: June 28, 2018
- Once downloading is complete, start the HitmanPro, double-click the HitmanPro.exe file.
- If the “User Account Control” prompts, click Yes to continue.
- In the HitmanPro window, click the “Next” . HitmanPro utility will start scanning the whole computer to find out the PUP.Winlogon.Heuristic and other kinds of potential threats such as malware and adware. A system scan may take anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes, depending on your personal computer. When a malicious software, ad supported software or PUPs are detected, the number of the security threats will change accordingly. Wait until the the checking is finished.
- After the scan is done, Hitman Pro will display a screen that contains a list of malicious software that has been found. Review the report and then press “Next”. Now, click the “Activate free license” button to begin the free 30 days trial to remove all malicious software found.
How to automatically get rid of PUP.Winlogon.Heuristic with MalwareBytes Free
If you are having problems with the PUP.Winlogon.Heuristic virus removal or just wish to check your PC occasionally for malicious software, then download MalwareBytes. It is free for home use, and finds and removes various unwanted software that attacks your PC or degrades PC performance. MalwareBytes Anti Malware (MBAM) can delete adware, PUPs as well as malicious software, including ransomware and trojans.
- Installing the MalwareBytes Free is simple. First you will need to download MalwareBytes on your machine from the link below.
Category: Security tools
Update: April 15, 2020
- At the download page, click on the Download button. Your internet browser will display the “Save as” prompt. Please save it onto your Windows desktop.
- When the downloading process is done, please close all apps and open windows on your PC. Double-click on the icon that’s named mb3-setup.
- This will start the “Setup wizard” of MalwareBytes Free onto your machine. Follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
- When the Setup wizard has finished installing, the MalwareBytes Free will start and open the main window.
- Further, click the “Scan Now” button to perform a system scan with this utility for the PUP.Winlogon.Heuristic and other security threats. A system scan can take anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes, depending on your computer. While the MalwareBytes program is checking, you can see count of objects it has identified as threat.
- After MalwareBytes has completed scanning, you will be displayed the list of all found items on your PC.
- In order to delete all threats, simply click the “Quarantine Selected” button. Once finished, you may be prompted to reboot the personal computer.
- Close the Anti-Malware and continue with the next step.
Video instruction, which reveals in detail the steps above.
Delete PUP.Winlogon.Heuristic from Firefox
If the Mozilla Firefox settings have been modified by the PUP.Winlogon.Heuristic virus, then resetting it to the default state can help. It’ll save your personal information such as saved passwords, bookmarks, auto-fill data and open tabs.
First, run the Firefox and click button. It will display the drop-down menu on the right-part of the internet browser. Further, click the Help button () as displayed on the image below.
In the Help menu, select the “Troubleshooting Information” option. Another way to open the “Troubleshooting Information” screen – type “about:support” in the web-browser adress bar and press Enter. It will show the “Troubleshooting Information” page like below. In the upper-right corner of this screen, click the “Refresh Firefox” button.
It will open the confirmation prompt. Further, click the “Refresh Firefox” button. The Firefox will begin a procedure to fix your problems that caused by the PUP.Winlogon.Heuristic virus. Once, it’s done, click the “Finish” button.
Remove PUP.Winlogon.Heuristic from Chrome
If your Google Chrome browser settings are altered by PUP.Winlogon.Heuristic , it may be necessary to completely reset your internet browser application to its default state.
- First, run the Chrome and click the Menu icon (icon in the form of three dots).
- It will display the Google Chrome main menu. Select More Tools, then press Extensions.
- You will see the list of installed extensions. If the list has the addon labeled with “Installed by enterprise policy” or “Installed by your administrator”, then complete the following tutorial: Remove Chrome extensions installed by enterprise policy.
- Now open the Chrome menu once again, click the “Settings” menu.
- Next, click “Advanced” link, that located at the bottom of the Settings page.
- On the bottom of the “Advanced settings” page, click the “Reset settings to their original defaults” button.
- The Google Chrome will open the reset settings prompt as shown on the screen above.
- Confirm the internet browser’s reset by clicking on the “Reset” button.
- To learn more, read the blog post How to reset Google Chrome settings to default.
Get rid of PUP.Winlogon.Heuristic virus from Internet Explorer
The Internet Explorer reset is great if your internet browser is infected by PUP.Winlogon.Heuristic virus or you’ve unwanted extensions or toolbars on your internet browser, that installed by a malware.
First, start the Internet Explorer. Next, click the button in the form of gear (). It will open the Tools drop-down menu, click the “Internet Options” as displayed on the image below.
In the “Internet Options” window click on the Advanced tab, then press the Reset button. The Microsoft Internet Explorer will show the “Reset Internet Explorer settings” window as shown in the following example. Select the “Delete personal settings” check box, then click “Reset” button.
You will now need to restart your computer for the changes to take effect.
How to stay safe online
By installing an ad-blocking program such as AdGuard, you are able to block malicious sites, autoplaying video ads and remove a large number of distracting and annoying ads on webpages.
Installing the AdGuard is simple. First you’ll need to download AdGuard on your Microsoft Windows Desktop from the following link.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: November 15, 2018
Once the download is done, run the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” screen as shown in the following example.
Follow the prompts. When the install is finished, you will see a window as shown on the screen below.
You can press “Skip” to close the installation program and use the default settings, or click “Get Started” button to see an quick tutorial which will assist you get to know AdGuard better.
In most cases, the default settings are enough and you do not need to change anything. Each time, when you start your computer, AdGuard will run automatically and stop pop-up ads, as well as other malicious or misleading websites. For an overview of all the features of the application, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the AdGuard icon, which is located on your desktop.
Once you have finished the few simple steps outlined above, your personal computer should be clean from PUP.Winlogon.Heuristic and other malicious software. Your antivirus software will no longer detect any security threats. Unfortunately, if the few simple steps does not help you, then you have caught a new malicious software, and then the best way – ask for help here.