The Maps Hub is a program that falls under the category of malware from internet browser hijackers family. The appearance of Maps Hub New Tab in your browser means that browser hijacker get installed on your machine, which makes certain changes to current settings of web-browsers by modifying the new tab, startpage and default search provider. So, if you find that when you start your web browser, it opens this unwanted site, then you do not need to wait , you need to perform the steps below and delete Maps Hub New Tab ASAP.
The hijacker can also set up the Maps Hub site as the Mozilla Firefox, Edge, Microsoft Internet Explorer and Chrome default search engine that cause search redirects via the page. In this way, developers of the hijacker infection have an opportunity to display various ads together with the search results for your query. These unwanted advertisements will be combined in the redirected web-page. This can bring a lot of revenue for makers of the hijacker.
The Maps Hub hijacker infection is not a virus, but the virus behaves similarly. As a rootkit hides in the system, modifies some settings of browsers, and blocks them from changing. Also this hijacker may install additional internet browser add-ons and modules that will open ads and popups. And finally, the Maps Hub hijacker be able to collect lots of confidential information like what sites you’re opening, what you are looking for the Internet and so on. This information, in the future, may be sold to third parties.
To find out how to remove Maps Hub homepage, we recommend to read the few simple steps added to this blog post below. The guide was prepared by experienced security professionals who discovered a method to get rid of the annoying Maps Hub browser hijacker out of the computer.
How to remove Maps Hub
There are exist several free browser hijacker removal tools. Also it’s possible to get rid of Maps Hub manually. But we advise to combine all these methods below into the one removal algorithm. Follow the steps of the instructions. Some of the steps below will require you to shut down this site. So, please read the few simple steps carefully, after that bookmark or print it for later reference.
To remove Maps Hub, perform the following steps:
- Manual Maps Hub homepage removal
- Use free malware removal utilities to completely remove Maps Hub start page
- Stop Maps Hub and other annoying web sites
- Tips to prevent Maps Hub and other unwanted apps
- Finish words
Manual Maps Hub homepage removal
Read this section to know how to manually remove the Maps Hub browser hijacker. Even if the guide does not work for you, there are several free malicious software removers below which can easily handle such browser hijacker infections.
Deleting the Maps Hub, check the list of installed programs first
The process of hijacker infection removal is generally the same across all versions of MS Windows OS from 10 to XP. To start with, it’s necessary to check the list of installed software on your machine and remove all unused, unknown and dubious software.
- If you are using Windows 8, 8.1 or 10 then click Windows button, next press Search. Type “Control panel”and press Enter.
- If you are using Windows XP, Vista, 7, then press “Start” button and click “Control Panel”.
- It will show the Windows Control Panel.
- Further, press “Uninstall a program” under Programs category.
- It will display a list of all applications installed on the machine.
- Scroll through the all list, and delete dubious and unknown software. To quickly find the latest installed programs, we recommend sort applications by date.
See more details in the video tutorial below.
Remove Maps Hub search from Google Chrome
In order to be sure that there is nothing left behind, we recommend you to reset Google Chrome internet browser. It’ll return Chrome settings including search provider, newtab and startpage to defaults.
- First, start the Chrome and click the Menu icon (icon in the form of three dots).
- It will show the Google Chrome main menu. Choose More Tools, then click Extensions.
- You will see the list of installed extensions. If the list has the extension labeled with “Installed by enterprise policy” or “Installed by your administrator”, then complete the following tutorial: Remove Chrome extensions installed by enterprise policy.
- Now open the Chrome menu once again, click the “Settings” menu.
- Next, press “Advanced” link, which located at the bottom of the Settings page.
- On the bottom of the “Advanced settings” page, press the “Reset settings to their original defaults” button.
- The Google Chrome will display the reset settings dialog box as on the image above.
- Confirm the browser’s reset by clicking on the “Reset” button.
- To learn more, read the article How to reset Google Chrome settings to default.
Get rid of Maps Hub from Mozilla Firefox
Resetting your FF is good initial troubleshooting step for any issues with your browser application, including the reroute to Maps Hub site.
Launch the Firefox and click the menu button (it looks like three stacked lines) at the top right of the web browser screen. Next, press the question-mark icon at the bottom of the drop-down menu. It will display the slide-out menu.
Select the “Troubleshooting information”. If you are unable to access the Help menu, then type “about:support” in your address bar and press Enter. It bring up the “Troubleshooting Information” page as displayed on the screen below.
Click the “Refresh Firefox” button at the top right of the Troubleshooting Information page. Select “Refresh Firefox” in the confirmation dialog box. The Firefox will start a task to fix your problems that caused by the browser hijacker which redirects your browser to unwanted Maps Hub web-page. When, it is done, press the “Finish” button.
Get rid of Maps Hub homepage from IE
First, launch the IE. Next, click the button in the form of gear (). It will open the Tools drop-down menu, press the “Internet Options” as on the image below.
In the “Internet Options” window click on the Advanced tab, then click the Reset button. The IE will open the “Reset Internet Explorer settings” window as shown on the image below. Select the “Delete personal settings” check box, then press “Reset” button.
You will now need to restart your computer for the changes to take effect.
Use free malware removal utilities to completely remove Maps Hub start page
If you are unsure how to remove Maps Hub browser hijacker infection easily, consider using automatic hijacker removal applications that listed below. It will identify the browser hijacker that responsible for web-browser redirect to the intrusive Maps Hub page and remove it from your system for free.
Automatically delete Maps Hub with Zemana Anti-Malware (ZAM)
We advise using the Zemana that are completely clean your computer of the hijacker infection. The utility is an advanced malware removal program made by (c) Zemana lab. It is able to help you get rid of potentially unwanted apps, browser hijackers, adware, malicious software, toolbars, ransomware and other security threats from your PC system for free.
Zemana Anti-Malware can be downloaded from the following link. Save it on your MS Windows desktop.
Author: Zemana Ltd
Category: Security tools
Update: July 16, 2019
Once the downloading process is complete, close all windows on your personal computer. Further, launch the setup file named Zemana.AntiMalware.Setup. If the “User Account Control” prompt pops up as displayed below, click the “Yes” button.
It will open the “Setup wizard” that will assist you install Zemana Free on the machine. Follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
Once installation is finished successfully, Zemana will automatically launch and you can see its main window as shown in the following example.
Next, press the “Scan” button to perform a system scan with this tool for the browser hijacker that responsible for browser reroute to the intrusive Maps Hub page. This process can take quite a while, so please be patient. During the scan Zemana Anti Malware will detect threats exist on your computer.
When Zemana has finished scanning, you can check all items found on your PC system. Make sure all threats have ‘checkmark’ and click “Next” button.
The Zemana Free will remove hijacker that causes internet browsers to display unwanted Maps Hub web page and add threats to the Quarantine. After disinfection is finished, you can be prompted to reboot your personal computer.
Remove Maps Hub browser hijacker and malicious extensions with Hitman Pro
HitmanPro is a portable application that requires no hard installation to identify and get rid of hijacker responsible for redirecting user searches to Maps Hub. The program itself is small in size (only a few Mb). Hitman Pro does not need any drivers and special dlls. It is probably easier to use than any alternative malware removal utilities you have ever tried. HitmanPro works on 64 and 32-bit versions of Windows 10, 8, 7 and XP. It proves that removal tool can be just as effective as the widely known antivirus applications.
Installing the HitmanPro is simple. First you will need to download HitmanPro on your PC system by clicking on the link below.
Category: Security tools
Update: June 28, 2018
When downloading is done, open the file location. You will see an icon like below.
Double click the HitmanPro desktop icon. Once the utility is started, you will see a screen as shown on the screen below.
Further, click “Next” button to perform a system scan for the hijacker that responsible for web-browser reroute to the annoying Maps Hub web site. When Hitman Pro completes the scan, you’ll be opened the list of all found items on your PC system as shown on the screen below.
When you are ready, click “Next” button. It will show a prompt, click the “Activate free license” button.
How to get rid of Maps Hub with Malwarebytes
You can delete Maps Hub startpage automatically with a help of Malwarebytes Free. We suggest this free malware removal tool because it may easily remove hijackers, ad supported software, PUPs and toolbars with all their components such as files, folders and registry entries.
- Download MalwareBytes by clicking on the following link.
Category: Security tools
Update: April 15, 2020
- At the download page, click on the Download button. Your web-browser will display the “Save as” prompt. Please save it onto your Windows desktop.
- When the downloading process is finished, please close all software and open windows on your PC system. Double-click on the icon that’s named mb3-setup.
- This will open the “Setup wizard” of MalwareBytes Anti-Malware onto your machine. Follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
- When the Setup wizard has finished installing, the MalwareBytes Free will start and show the main window.
- Further, click the “Scan Now” button to perform a system scan for the hijacker which created to reroute your browser to the Maps Hub web-site. While the MalwareBytes AntiMalware program is scanning, you can see number of objects it has identified as threat.
- When the scan is finished, you can check all threats detected on your system.
- In order to get rid of all threats, simply click the “Quarantine Selected” button. Once disinfection is complete, you may be prompted to reboot the PC.
- Close the Anti-Malware and continue with the next step.
Video instruction, which reveals in detail the steps above.
Stop Maps Hub and other annoying web sites
It’s important to use ad-blocker apps such as AdGuard to protect your personal computer from harmful web pages. Most security experts says that it’s okay to block advertisements. You should do so just to stay safe! And, of course, the AdGuard can to block Maps Hub and other unwanted sites.
- Visit the page linked below to download the latest version of AdGuard for MS Windows. Save it on your Microsoft Windows desktop.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: November 15, 2018
- When the download is complete, launch the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” program window. Follow the prompts.
- After the installation is finished, click “Skip” to close the setup program and use the default settings, or click “Get Started” to see an quick tutorial that will allow you get to know AdGuard better.
- In most cases, the default settings are enough and you don’t need to change anything. Each time, when you start your personal computer, AdGuard will launch automatically and block pop-up advertisements, web-pages such as Maps Hub, as well as other malicious or misleading sites. For an overview of all the features of the application, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the icon called AdGuard, which can be found on your desktop.
Tips to prevent Maps Hub and other unwanted apps
The hijacker responsible for redirects to Maps Hub, can be categorized as potentially unwanted application (PUA) which mostly comes on the computer with other free software. Most often, this unwanted program comes without the user’s knowledge. Therefore, many users aren’t even aware that their PC has been hijacked with malicious software. Please follow the easy rules in order to protect your system from any unwanted programs: do not install any suspicious programs, read the user agreement and choose only the Custom, Manual or Advanced install option, do not rush to click the Next button. Also, always try to find a review of the application on the Net. Be careful and attentive! If Maps Hub startpage has already come into your machine, then you need to scan your machine for hijacker infection and other malicious software. Use our detailed step-by-step guide that are listed above.
Now your personal computer should be free of the hijacker responsible for changing your web browser settings to Maps Hub. We suggest that you keep AdGuard (to help you stop unwanted advertisements and annoying harmful pages) and Zemana Anti Malware (ZAM) (to periodically scan your computer for new malware, browser hijackers and ad-supported software). Make sure that you have all the Critical Updates recommended for Microsoft Windows OS. Without regular updates you WILL NOT be protected when new browser hijackers, malicious software and ad-supported software are released.
If you are still having problems while trying to delete Maps Hub homepage from your web-browser, then ask for help in our Spyware/Malware removal forum.