The Search My Tabs is an unwanted browser extension that opens intrusive pop up ads and can redirect to various ad web pages. If the “Search My Tabs” gets installed into the Google Chrome then your PC system is infected with an adware (sometimes called ‘ad-supported’ software). The adware is an unwanted software which is going to display you lots of popup ads and deals. Of course, it’s not a malware or virus in the “general meaning” of this word. The “Search My Tabs” extension will not delete or damage your files, but it can change some browser’s settings to display lots of unwanted ads and pop-ups. So, you’d better to uninstall the “Search My Tabs” using the step by step guidance below and thus remove any undesired ads from the Google Chrome.
The “Search My Tabs” extension can collect your Net surfing activity by recording URLs visited, IP addresses, web-browser version and type, cookie information, Internet Service Provider (ISP) and web pages visited. Such kind of behavior can lead to serious security problems or privacy information theft. This is another reason why the “Search My Tabs” that causes multiple intrusive advertisements and pop-ups, is categorized as PUP (potentially unwanted program).
It is important, do not use “Search My Tabs” and do not click on its ads, as they can lead you to a more harmful or misleading web-pages. The best option is to use the guide posted below to free your system of adware and thereby get rid of “Search My Tabs” .
Remove “Search My Tabs” from Google Chrome
The following steps will help you to get rid of “Search My Tabs” from the Chrome web browser. Moreover, the steps below will help you to delete malicious software, hijacker infections, potentially unwanted apps and toolbars that your system may be infected. Please do the instructions step by step. If you need assist or have any questions, then ask for our assistance or type a comment below. Read it once, after doing so, please print this page as you may need to close your web-browser or reboot your personal computer.
To remove “Search My Tabs”, use the following steps:
- Manual “Search My Tabs” adware removal
- Scan your machine and remove “Search My Tabs” with free tools
Manual “Search My Tabs” adware removal
These steps to delete “Search My Tabs” ad-supported software without any apps are presented below. Be sure to carry out the step-by-step steps completely to fully delete this “Search My Tabs” ad supported software which causes intrusive popup ads.
Delete PUPs through the MS Windows Control Panel
In order to remove potentially unwanted apps like this ‘ad supported’ software, open the Windows Control Panel and click on “Uninstall a program”. Check the list of installed apps. For the ones you do not know, run an Internet search to see if they are ad supported software, hijacker or potentially unwanted apps. If yes, uninstall them off. Even if they are just a apps which you do not use, then uninstalling them off will increase your personal computer start up time and speed dramatically.
Windows 8, 8.1, 10
First, click Windows button , then press Search . Type ‘Control panel’and press Enter like below.
After the ‘Control Panel’ opens, press the ‘Uninstall a program’ link under Programs category as shown on the image below.
You will see the ‘Uninstall a program’ panel as on the image below.
Very carefully look around the entire list of programs installed on your PC system. Most probably, one of them is the “Search My Tabs” ad-supported software that reroutes your web browser to unwanted ad pages. If you have many software installed, you can help simplify the search of malicious software by sort the list by date of installation. Once you have found a dubious, unwanted or unused application, right click to it, after that click ‘Uninstall’.
Windows XP, Vista, 7
First, click ‘Start’ button and select ‘Control Panel’ at right panel as on the image below.
Once the Windows ‘Control Panel’ opens, you need to press ‘Uninstall a program’ under ‘Programs’ as displayed in the figure below.
You will see a list of programs installed on your system. We recommend to sort the list by date of installation to quickly find the software that were installed last. Most likely, it is the “Search My Tabs” which cause annoying pop-ups to appear. If you are in doubt, you can always check the program by doing a search for her name in Google, Yahoo or Bing. Once the program which you need to delete is found, simply click on its name, and then click ‘Uninstall’ as shown on the screen below.
Remove “Search My Tabs” from Chrome
Like other modern internet browsers, the Chrome has the ability to reset the settings to their default values and thereby restore the internet browser’s settings such as home page, newtab page and search provider by default that have been replaced by the “Search My Tabs” adware that causes multiple annoying ads and popups.
- First, start the Chrome and press the Menu icon (icon in the form of three dots).
- It will show the Chrome main menu. Select More Tools, then click Extensions.
- You will see the list of installed extensions. If the list has the extension labeled with “Installed by enterprise policy” or “Installed by your administrator”, then complete the following steps: Remove Chrome extensions installed by enterprise policy.
- Now open the Chrome menu once again, click the “Settings” menu.
- Next, click “Advanced” link, which located at the bottom of the Settings page.
- On the bottom of the “Advanced settings” page, click the “Reset settings to their original defaults” button.
- The Chrome will show the reset settings prompt as shown on the screen above.
- Confirm the internet browser’s reset by clicking on the “Reset” button.
- To learn more, read the blog post How to reset Google Chrome settings to default.
Scan your machine and remove “Search My Tabs” with free tools
Many antivirus companies have made software that allow detect ‘ad supported’ software and thereby get rid of “Search My Tabs” from the Chrome web browser. Below is a a few of the free applications you may want to use. Your computer may have a ton of PUPs, adware and hijacker infections installed at the same time, so we suggest, if any unwanted or harmful program returns after restarting the system, then launch your system into Safe Mode and run the antimalware tool once again.
How to delete “Search My Tabs” adware with Zemana Anti-malware
Zemana Anti-malware highly recommended, because it can look for security threats such adware and adwares which most ‘classic’ antivirus programs fail to pick up on. Moreover, if you have any “Search My Tabs” removal problems which cannot be fixed by this tool automatically, then Zemana Anti-malware provides 24X7 online assistance from the highly experienced support staff.
- Visit the page linked below to download Zemana Free. Save it to your Desktop.
Author: Zemana Ltd
Category: Security tools
Update: July 16, 2019
- After the downloading process is finished, close all apps and windows on your machine. Open a file location. Double-click on the icon that’s named Zemana.AntiMalware.Setup.
- Further, press Next button and follow the prompts.
- Once installation is finished, press the “Scan” button to perform a system scan with this tool for the “Search My Tabs” adware which created to redirect your web browser to various ad web-pages. A system scan can take anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes, depending on your PC system. While the tool is scanning, you can see count of objects and files has already scanned.
- When the scan is finished, Zemana Free will show a screen which contains a list of malicious software that has been detected. All detected threats will be marked. You can remove them all by simply press “Next”. When the task is done, you can be prompted to reboot your computer.
Use Malwarebytes to remove “Search My Tabs”
You can get rid of “Search My Tabs” automatically with a help of Malwarebytes Free. We recommend this free malware removal tool because it can easily get rid of browser hijackers, adware, PUPs and toolbars with all their components such as files, folders and registry entries.
- Visit the page linked below to download MalwareBytes AntiMalware (MBAM). Save it on your Microsoft Windows desktop or in any other place.
Category: Security tools
Update: April 15, 2020
- Once the download is complete, close all apps and windows on your computer. Open a directory in which you saved it. Double-click on the icon that’s named mb3-setup.
- Further, click Next button and follow the prompts.
- Once setup is complete, click the “Scan Now” button to begin scanning your machine for the “Search My Tabs” which causes unwanted pop up advertisements. Depending on your personal computer, the scan can take anywhere from a few minutes to close to an hour. When a threat is found, the count of the security threats will change accordingly.
- Once the scan is done, the results are displayed in the scan report. In order to remove all items, simply press “Quarantine Selected”. After disinfection is complete, you can be prompted to reboot your PC system.
The following video offers a tutorial on how to remove browser hijackers, adware and other malicious software with MalwareBytes.
If the problem with “Search My Tabs” ‘ad supported’ software is still remained
AdwCleaner is a portable tool that searches for and deletes unwanted applications such as hijackers, ad supported software, toolbars, other web-browser extensions and other malicious software. It scans your computer for “Search My Tabs” ‘ad supported’ software that causes web browsers to open unwanted pop-up ads and produces a list of threats marked for removal. AdwCleaner will only erase those unwanted apps that you wish to be removed.
Download AdwCleaner by clicking on the link below. Save it on your Windows desktop or in any other place.
Author: Xplode, MalwareBytes
Category: Security tools
Update: March 22, 2021
After the download is finished, open the file location and double-click the AdwCleaner icon. It will start the AdwCleaner utility and you will see a screen like below. If the User Account Control dialog box will ask you want to start the program, click Yes button to continue.
Next, press “Scan” . AdwCleaner tool will begin scanning the whole computer to find out “Search My Tabs” adware which cause unwanted pop-up advertisements to appear. A scan may take anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes, depending on the number of files on your personal computer and the speed of your PC. When a malicious software, ad-supported software or potentially unwanted apps are detected, the number of the security threats will change accordingly. Wait until the the checking is done.
After the checking is finished, AdwCleaner will display you the results as displayed in the figure below.
You may move threats to Quarantine (all selected by default) by simply click “Clean” button. It will display a dialog box. Click “OK” button. The AdwCleaner will remove “Search My Tabs” ad-supported software that causes browsers to display unwanted popup advertisements. Once the process is finished, the utility may ask you to reboot your personal computer. After restart, the AdwCleaner will open the log file.
All the above steps are shown in detail in the following video instructions.
Run AdBlocker to stay safe online
It’s also critical to protect your browsers from malicious pages and ads by using an ad-blocker program such as AdGuard. Security experts says that it will greatly reduce the risk of malicious software, and potentially save lots of money. Additionally, the AdGuard can also protect your privacy by blocking almost all trackers.
- Download AdGuard application by clicking on the link below. Save it on your MS Windows desktop.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: November 15, 2018
- When the download is finished, start the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” program window. Follow the prompts.
- Once the installation is complete, click “Skip” to close the install application and use the default settings, or click “Get Started” to see an quick tutorial that will assist you get to know AdGuard better.
- In most cases, the default settings are enough and you do not need to change anything. Each time, when you start your PC, AdGuard will start automatically and block pop up ads, as well as other malicious or misleading sites. For an overview of all the features of the program, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the icon named AdGuard, that can be found on your desktop.
How to “Search My Tabs” get installed onto computer
Many adware are included in the freeware installation package. Most commonly, a user have a chance to disable all included “offers”, but certain installers are developed to confuse the average users, in order to trick them into installing the “Search My Tabs” which developed to reroute your web browser to various ad sites. Anyway, easier to prevent the adware rather than clean up your PC after one. So, keep the browser updated (turn on automatic updates), use a good antivirus apps, double check a free programs before you start it (do a google search, scan a downloaded file with VirusTotal), avoid malicious and unknown web-pages.
Now your system should be free of the “Search My Tabs” ad-supported software that designed to redirect your web-browser to various ad web sites. Uninstall AdwCleaner. We suggest that you keep Zemana Anti-Malware (to periodically scan your machine for new adwares and other malicious software) and AdGuard (to help you stop intrusive pop-up advertisements and harmful web sites). Moreover, to prevent ad supported softwares, please stay clear of unknown and third party applications, make sure that your antivirus program, turn on the option to scan for PUPs (potentially unwanted programs).
If you need more help with “Search My Tabs” adware related issues, go to our Spyware/Malware removal forum.