Is your internet browser redirected to different web-site named Default-search.net ? This problem may be caused by browser hijacker. The hijacker is a type of malware which is made to modify settings of browsers. If you get it on your system, then you may experience any of the following problems: lots of pop-up advertisements, multiple toolbars on your web browser which you did not install, web-sites load slowly, start page, new tab and search provider by default is replaced without your permission. The guidance which follow, we will tell you about how to solve these problems, remove browser hijacker infection and thereby remove Default-search.net start page from the Firefox, Google Chrome, Internet Explorer and Edge forever.
The Default-search.net hijacker infection takes over your web-browser’s default search provider and controls what will be opened to you whenever you do a searching. Other than the search results, it also provides a huge count of annoying ads on the search page. Some of these ads developed to mislead you into buying some questionable products and software. Moreover, sometimes, those ads could redirect you to misleading or malicious web sites.
Also, ‘ad-supported’ software (also known as adware) may be installed on the computer together with Default-search.net hijacker. It will insert lots of ads directly to the web sites which you view, creating a sense that advertisements has been added by the authors of the web site. Moreover, legal advertisements can be replaced on fake advertisements that will offer to download and install various unnecessary and malicious applications. Moreover, the Default-search.net hijacker has the ability to gather user information which may be later transferred to third parties.
A malicious software which introduces changes to settings of browsers on Default-search.net commonly affects only Mozilla Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explorer and MS Edge. However, possible situations, when any other browsers will be affected too. The Default-search.net browser hijacker infection can change the Target property of internet browser’s shortcuts, so every time you run the web browser, instead of your start page, you will see a completely different page.
It’s important, don’t use Default-search.net web-page and don’t click on ads placed on it, as they can lead you to a more harmful or misleading web sites. The best option is to use the steps posted below to free your PC of hijacker, remove the Default-search.net homepage, and thereby return your favorite start page and search engine.
Remove Default-search.net redirect
There are present several free browser hijacker removal utilities. Also it is possible to remove Default-search.net start page manually. But we recommend to combine all these solutions below into the one removal algorithm. Follow the steps of the guide. Read it once, after doing so, please print this page as you may need to exit your web browser or restart your computer.
To remove Default-search.net, use the steps below:
- Manual Default-search.net removal
- Use free malware removal utilities to completely remove Default-search.net
- Stop Default-search.net and other unwanted web-sites
- Tips to prevent Default-search.net and other unwanted programs
- To sum up
Manual Default-search.net removal
The useful removal instructions for the Default-search.net startpage. The detailed procedure can be followed by anyone as it really does take you step-by-step. If you follow this process to remove Default-search.net start page let us know how you managed by sending us your comments please.
Remove PUPs through the Microsoft Windows Control Panel
The process of hijacker removal is generally the same across all versions of MS Windows OS from 10 to XP. To start with, it’s necessary to check the list of installed applications on your computer and uninstall all unused, unknown and suspicious software.
- If you are using Windows 8, 8.1 or 10 then click Windows button, next click Search. Type “Control panel”and press Enter.
- If you are using Windows XP, Vista, 7, then click “Start” button and click “Control Panel”.
- It will show the Windows Control Panel.
- Further, press “Uninstall a program” under Programs category.
- It will show a list of all programs installed on the computer.
- Scroll through the all list, and delete suspicious and unknown applications. To quickly find the latest installed programs, we recommend sort applications by date.
See more details in the video tutorial below.
Get rid of Default-search.net from FF by resetting web-browser settings
First, run the Mozilla Firefox and click button. It will show the drop-down menu on the right-part of the browser. Further, click the Help button () as shown in the following example
In the Help menu, select the “Troubleshooting Information” option. Another way to open the “Troubleshooting Information” screen – type “about:support” in the internet browser adress bar and press Enter. It will display the “Troubleshooting Information” page as displayed in the figure below. In the upper-right corner of this screen, press the “Refresh Firefox” button.
It will show the confirmation dialog box. Further, click the “Refresh Firefox” button. The Mozilla Firefox will begin a procedure to fix your problems that caused by the hijacker infection which designed to redirect your browser to the Default-search.net web page. After, it is finished, click the “Finish” button.
Delete Default-search.net from Chrome
Reset Google Chrome settings is a easy way to remove the browser hijacker, harmful and ‘ad-supported’ extensions, as well as to recover the browser’s homepage, new tab and default search engine that have been changed by Default-search.net hijacker infection.
- First start the Chrome and click Menu button (small button in the form of three horizontal stripes).
- It will show the Google Chrome main menu. Select “Settings” option.
- You will see the Chrome’s settings page. Scroll down and press “Show advanced settings” link.
- Scroll down again and click the “Reset settings” button.
- The Google Chrome will display the reset profile settings page as shown on the image above.
- Next click the “Reset” button.
- Once this task is finished, your internet browser’s newtab page, homepage and search provider by default will be restored to their original defaults.
- To learn more, read the post How to reset Chrome settings to default.
Get rid of Default-search.net startpage from Internet Explorer
If you find that Internet Explorer internet browser settings such as startpage, new tab and default search engine having been hijacked, then you may restore your settings, via the reset browser process.
First, launch the Microsoft Internet Explorer, then click ‘gear’ icon . It will display the Tools drop-down menu on the right part of the web-browser, then press the “Internet Options” as shown on the image below.
In the “Internet Options” screen, select the “Advanced” tab, then click the “Reset” button. The Microsoft Internet Explorer will show the “Reset Internet Explorer settings” prompt. Further, click the “Delete personal settings” check box to select it. Next, press the “Reset” button as shown on the screen below.
When the process is finished, click “Close” button. Close the IE and reboot your machine for the changes to take effect. This step will help you to restore your browser’s home page, new tab page and search engine by default to default state.
Fix infected browsers shortcuts to delete Default-search.net
Unfortunately, the browser hijacker can also hijack Windows shortcuts (mostly, your web-browsers shortcuts), so that the Default-search.net home page will be displayed when you launch the Chrome, Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox and Microsoft Edge or another web-browser.
Right click to a desktop shortcut for your web browser. Choose the “Properties” option. It will open the Properties window. Select the “Shortcut” tab here, after that, look at the “Target” field. The browser hijacker infection can rewrite it. If you are seeing something like “…exe http://site.address” then you need to remove “http…” and leave only, depending on the web-browser you are using:
- Google Chrome: chrome.exe
- Opera: opera.exe
- Firefox: firefox.exe
- Internet Explorer: iexplore.exe
Look at the example as on the image below.
Once is finished, click the “OK” button to save the changes. Please repeat this step for web-browser shortcuts which redirects to an intrusive sites. When you have completed, go to next step.
Use free malware removal utilities to completely remove Default-search.net
Run malware removal tools to remove Default-search.net automatically. The free programs tools specially developed for browser hijacker infection, adware and other potentially unwanted applications removal. These tools can remove most of hijacker from Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer and MS Edge. Moreover, it can remove all components of Default-search.net from Windows registry and system drives.
Automatically remove Default-search.net with Zemana Anti Malware (ZAM)
We recommend you to use the Zemana Anti Malware which are completely clean your personal computer. Moreover, the utility will help you to remove PUPs, malware, toolbars and ad supported software that your computer can be infected too.
Download Zemana Anti Malware by clicking on the link below and save it to your Desktop.
Author: Zemana Ltd
Category: Security tools
Update: July 16, 2019
After the downloading process is complete, close all applications and windows on your personal computer. Open a directory in which you saved it. Double-click on the icon that’s called Zemana.AntiMalware.Setup as shown below.
When the install starts, you will see the “Setup wizard” which will allow you install Zemana AntiMalware on your PC system.
Once installation is done, you will see window as displayed on the image below.
Now press the “Scan” button to begin scanning your personal computer for the browser hijacker which created to redirect your web-browser to the Default-search.net web page. This procedure may take quite a while, so please be patient. While the tool is scanning, you can see how many objects and files has already scanned.
Once Zemana Anti-Malware (ZAM) completes the scan, a list of all threats detected is produced. Make sure all items have ‘checkmark’ and click “Next” button.
The Zemana Free will remove browser hijacker that developed to redirect your browser to the Default-search.net web site.
How to automatically delete Default-search.net with Malwarebytes
You can remove Default-search.net homepage automatically with a help of Malwarebytes Free. We advise this free malicious software removal tool because it can easily remove browser hijackers, ad-supported software, potentially unwanted applications and toolbars with all their components such as files, folders and registry entries.
- Download MalwareBytes Anti Malware (MBAM) from the link below. Save it on your MS Windows desktop.
Category: Security tools
Update: July 25, 2019
- When the downloading process is finished, close all software and windows on your PC system. Open a file location. Double-click on the icon that’s named mb3-setup.
- Further, click Next button and follow the prompts.
- Once install is finished, click the “Scan Now” button . MalwareBytes AntiMalware (MBAM) utility will start scanning the whole computer to find out browser hijacker that cause a redirect to Default-search.net web-page. While the MalwareBytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) program is scanning, you may see count of objects it has identified as threat.
- As the scanning ends, MalwareBytes Free will display you the results. All detected threats will be marked. You can delete them all by simply click “Quarantine Selected”. After finished, you can be prompted to reboot your PC.
The following video offers a guidance on how to get rid of browser hijacker infections, ad-supported software and other malicious software with MalwareBytes Free.
Remove Default-search.net from web-browsers with AdwCleaner
AdwCleaner is a free portable program that scans your machine for adware, potentially unwanted programs and hijackers such as Default-search.net and helps remove them easily. Moreover, it’ll also help you remove any harmful web browser extensions and add-ons.
- Download AdwCleaner by clicking on the link below and save it to your Desktop.
Author: Xplode, MalwareBytes
Category: Security tools
Update: July 23, 2019
- Select the directory in which you saved it as Desktop, and then press Save.
- Once the downloading process is finished, launch the AdwCleaner, double-click the adwcleaner_xxx.exe file.
- If the “User Account Control” prompts, press Yes to continue.
- In the AdwCleaner window, press the “Scan” to perform a system scan for the hijacker infection which cause a reroute to Default-search.net site. This process can take some time, so please be patient.
- When the scan is done, AdwCleaner will display a scan report. Review the scan results and then press “Clean”. If the AdwCleaner will ask you to restart your computer, press “OK”.
The step-by-step tutorial shown in detail in the following video.
Stop Default-search.net and other unwanted web-sites
By installing an adblocker application such as AdGuard, you’re able to block Default-search.net, autoplaying video ads and get rid of a large number of distracting and unwanted ads on web pages.
Installing the AdGuard ad blocker program is simple. First you’ll need to download AdGuard by clicking on the link below.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: November 15, 2018
Once the downloading process is finished, double-click the downloaded file to start it. The “Setup Wizard” window will show up on the computer screen as displayed on the image below.
Follow the prompts. AdGuard will then be installed and an icon will be placed on your desktop. A window will show up asking you to confirm that you want to see a quick tutorial as displayed in the figure below.
Click “Skip” button to close the window and use the default settings, or click “Get Started” to see an quick instructions that will allow you get to know AdGuard better.
Each time, when you start your personal computer, AdGuard will run automatically and block pop-up advertisements, pages such Default-search.net, as well as other malicious or misleading web sites. For an overview of all the features of the program, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the AdGuard icon, which can be found on your desktop.
Tips to prevent Default-search.net and other unwanted programs
To sum up
Now your PC system should be clean of the hijacker infection that causes internet browsers to display annoying Default-search.net web site. Uninstall AdwCleaner. We suggest that you keep Zemana Anti-Malware (to periodically scan your computer for new browser hijackers and other malware) and AdGuard (to help you block unwanted ads and malicious web-pages). Moreover, to prevent hijacker infections, please stay clear of unknown and third party programs, make sure that your antivirus program, turn on the option to find PUPs (potentially unwanted programs).
If you need more help with Default-search.net homepage related issues, go to our Spyware/Malware removal forum.