The appearance of undesired Ad by Advertise pop-up ads in your web browser means that your computer is infected with an adware (sometimes named ‘ad-supported’ software). It makes changes to the computer settings and configures itself so as to run automatically each time the PC system is turned on. Immediately after startup, the adware begins to monitor the user’s actions and insert advertisements signed with “Ad by Advertise” directly into the open windows of the Chrome, Firefox, Edge and IE. So, if you notice that your internet browser has become show lots of annoying pop up ads, then you do not need to wait. Use the step by step guide below and remove “Ad by Advertise” ads as quickly as possible.
It’s not a good idea to have an unwanted program like this adware that causes unwanted “Ad by Advertise” advertisements. The reason for this is simple, it doing things you do not know about. The ad supported software can also be used to collect lots of personal information about you that can be later transferred to third parties. You do not know if your home address, account names and passwords are safe. And of course you completely don’t know what will happen when you click on any “Ad by Advertise” advertisements.
The adware often change all browser shortcuts that located on your Desktop to force you visit various intrusive ad pages. As a result, your web-browser can still redirect you to the annoying “Ad by Advertise” pages despite your computer is actually free of ad supported software and other malware.
Instructions that is shown below, will help you to clean your PC from the ad supported software as well as remove “Ad by Advertise” undesired ads from the Chrome, Firefox, Edge and Internet Explorer and other web-browsers.
Remove “Ad by Advertise” popup ads
The answer is right here on this page. We have put together simplicity and efficiency. It will help you easily to free your computer of ‘ad supported’ software that causes web-browsers to open undesired “Ad by Advertise” pop-up advertisements. Moreover, you can select manual or automatic removal solution. If you’re familiar with the computer then use manual removal, otherwise use the free anti malware tool made specifically to remove adware. Of course, you can combine both methods. Read this manual carefully, bookmark or print it, because you may need to exit your browser or reboot your PC.
How to remove “Ad by Advertise” ads without any software
The useful removal steps for the “Ad by Advertise” pop up ads. The detailed procedure can be followed by anyone as it really does take you step-by-step. If you follow this process to remove “Ad by Advertise” advertisements let us know how you managed by sending us your comments please.
Remove potentially unwanted applications through the MS Windows Control Panel
Check out the Microsoft Windows Control Panel (Programs and Features section) to see all installed software. We advise to click on the “Date Installed” in order to sort the list of applications by the date you installed them. If you see any unknown and suspicious programs, they are the ones you need to uninstall.
- If you are using Windows 8, 8.1 or 10 then press Windows button, next press Search. Type “Control panel”and press Enter.
- If you are using Windows XP, Vista, 7, then press “Start” button and click “Control Panel”.
- It will show the Windows Control Panel.
- Further, press “Uninstall a program” under Programs category.
- It will open a list of all software installed on the personal computer.
- Scroll through the all list, and delete suspicious and unknown software. To quickly find the latest installed programs, we recommend sort programs by date.
See more details in the video guidance below.
Remove unwanted Scheduled Tasks
Once installed, the ad supported software can add a task in to the Windows Task Scheduler Library. Due to this, every time when you launch your PC, it will show “Ad by Advertise” unwanted site. So, you need to check the Task Scheduler Library and remove all malicious tasks that have been created by ‘ad-supported’ program.
Press Windows and R keys on your keyboard simultaneously. It will show a prompt which called Run. In the text field, type “taskschd.msc” (without the quotes) and press OK. Task Scheduler window opens. In the left-hand side, click “Task Scheduler Library”, as displayed on the screen below.
In the middle part you will see a list of installed tasks. Select the first task, its properties will be display just below automatically. Next, click the Actions tab. Necessary to look at the text which is written under Details. Found something like “explorer.exe http://site.address” or “chrome.exe http://site.address” or “firefox.exe http://site.address”, then you need get rid of this task. If you are not sure that executes the task, then google it. If it’s a component of the unwanted programs, then this task also should be removed.
Further click on it with the right mouse button and select Delete as shown below.
Repeat this step, if you have found a few tasks that have been created by adware. Once is finished, close the Task Scheduler window.
Disinfect the internet browser’s shortcuts to get rid of “Ad by Advertise” advertisements
After installed, this ad-supported software may add an argument like “http://site.address” into the Target property of the desktop shortcut for the Chrome, Internet Explorer, Firefox and MS Edge. Due to this, every time you launch the internet browser, it will show an unwanted ad web page.
Right click on the web browser’s shortcut, click Properties option. On the Shortcut tab, locate the Target field. Click inside, you will see a vertical line – arrow pointer, move it (using -> arrow key on your keyboard) to the right as possible. You will see a text “http://site.address” that has been added here. Remove everything after .exe. An example, for Google Chrome you should remove everything after chrome.exe.
To save changes, click OK . You need to clean all internet browser’s shortcuts. So, repeat this step for the Chrome, Microsoft Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox and Edge.
Get rid of “Ad by Advertise” advertisements from Internet Explorer
By resetting IE web-browser you restore your web-browser settings to its default state. This is basic when troubleshooting problems that might have been caused by adware that causes browsers to open undesired “Ad by Advertise” advertisements.
First, run the Internet Explorer, press ) button. Next, press “Internet Options” as on the image below.
In the “Internet Options” screen select the Advanced tab. Next, click Reset button. The Internet Explorer will display the Reset Internet Explorer settings prompt. Select the “Delete personal settings” check box and click Reset button.
You will now need to restart your computer for the changes to take effect. It will delete ‘ad supported’ software that causes web browsers to open undesired “Ad by Advertise” advertisements, disable malicious and ad-supported internet browser’s extensions and restore the Internet Explorer’s settings like homepage, new tab page and search engine by default to default state.
Remove “Ad by Advertise” ads from Google Chrome
If your Chrome web-browser is redirected to unwanted “Ad by Advertise” web pages, it may be necessary to completely reset your browser program to its default settings.
- First, start the Google Chrome and click the Menu icon (icon in the form of three horizontal stripes).
- It will show the Google Chrome main menu, click the “Settings” menu.
- Next, click “Show advanced settings” link, which located at the bottom of the Settings page.
- On the bottom of the “Advanced settings” page, click the “Reset settings” button.
- The Chrome will open the reset settings prompt as shown on the screen above.
- Confirm the browser’s reset by clicking on the “Reset” button.
- To learn more, read the blog post How to reset Google Chrome settings to default.
Remove “Ad by Advertise” advertisements from Firefox
If the Firefox web-browser program is hijacked, then resetting its settings can help. The Reset feature is available on all modern version of Firefox. A reset can fix many issues by restoring FF settings like newtab page, start page and search engine by default to its default state. It will save your personal information like saved passwords, bookmarks, and open tabs.
Run the Firefox and click the menu button (it looks like three stacked lines) at the top right of the web browser screen. Next, click the question-mark icon at the bottom of the drop-down menu. It will open the slide-out menu.
Select the “Troubleshooting information”. If you’re unable to access the Help menu, then type “about:support” in your address bar and press Enter. It bring up the “Troubleshooting Information” page as shown on the image below.
Click the “Refresh Firefox” button at the top right of the Troubleshooting Information page. Select “Refresh Firefox” in the confirmation prompt. The Firefox will start a process to fix your problems that caused by the ‘ad supported’ software that causes web-browsers to display intrusive “Ad by Advertise” pop ups. After, it is complete, press the “Finish” button.
Get rid of “Ad by Advertise” pop up advertisements with free software
The adware may hide its components which are difficult for you to find out and get rid of completely. This can lead to the fact that after some time, the ‘ad supported’ software that causes web-browsers to display undesired “Ad by Advertise” ads again infect your personal computer. Moreover, We want to note that it is not always safe to delete adware manually, if you do not have much experience in setting up and configuring the Windows operating system. The best way to scan for and get rid of ad supported software is to run free malicious software removal software.
Run Zemana Anti-malware to remove “Ad by Advertise”
Zemana Anti-malware highly recommended, because it can detect security threats such ad-supported software and ad-supported softwares which most ‘classic’ antivirus programs fail to pick up on. Moreover, if you have any “Ad by Advertise” advertisements removal problems which cannot be fixed by this tool automatically, then Zemana Anti-malware provides 24X7 online assistance from the highly experienced support staff.
- Please download Zemana from the following link. Save it to your Desktop so that you can access the file easily.
Author: Zemana Ltd
Category: Security tools
Update: July 16, 2019
- At the download page, click on the Download button. Your browser will display the “Save as” prompt. Please save it onto your Windows desktop.
- Once the download is finished, please close all applications and open windows on your PC. Next, launch a file called Zemana.AntiMalware.Setup.
- This will launch the “Setup wizard” of Zemana Anti Malware onto your PC system. Follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
- When the Setup wizard has finished installing, the Zemana Free will start and open the main window.
- Further, click the “Scan” button .Zemana Anti-Malware program will scan through the whole computer for the adware that causes multiple undesired pop-ups. When a threat is detected, the count of the security threats will change accordingly.
- Once Zemana Anti-Malware (ZAM) has completed scanning your personal computer, Zemana Free will display a list of detected threats.
- Review the report and then click the “Next” button. The tool will remove ad-supported software which created to redirect your web browser to various ad web pages like “Ad by Advertise” and add items to the Quarantine. When disinfection is finished, you may be prompted to reboot the PC.
- Close the Zemana Free and continue with the next step.
Use Malwarebytes to delete “Ad by Advertise” pop up ads
You can remove “Ad by Advertise” popup ads automatically with a help of Malwarebytes Free. We advise this free malicious software removal utility because it can easily get rid of browser hijackers, ‘ad supported’ software, PUPs and toolbars with all their components such as files, folders and registry entries.
Download MalwareBytes Anti Malware (MBAM) from the following link and save it directly to your Windows Desktop.
Category: Security tools
Update: April 15, 2020
Once the download is done, close all applications and windows on your personal computer. Double-click the install file named mb3-setup. If the “User Account Control” prompt pops up as displayed on the screen below, click the “Yes” button.
It will open the “Setup wizard” that will help you install MalwareBytes Anti-Malware on your computer. Follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
Once setup is finished successfully, press Finish button. MalwareBytes will automatically start and you can see its main screen as shown on the screen below.
Now click the “Scan Now” button for checking your PC for the ad supported software that causes multiple undesired pop up advertisements. Depending on your PC system, the scan can take anywhere from a few minutes to close to an hour. While the MalwareBytes is checking, you may see how many objects it has identified either as being malware.
When the system scan is finished, the results are displayed in the scan report. In order to remove all threats, simply press “Quarantine Selected” button. The MalwareBytes Free will get rid of adware which causes unwanted “Ad by Advertise” pop up advertisements. Once the task is finished, you may be prompted to reboot the PC.
We recommend you look at the following video, which completely explains the process of using the MalwareBytes to remove ad-supported software, browser hijacker and other malware.
Remove “Ad by Advertise” advertisements from browsers with AdwCleaner
AdwCleaner is a free portable application that scans your system for adware that causes multiple unwanted pop up advertisements, PUPs and browser hijackers and helps get rid of them easily. Moreover, it will also help you remove any harmful web browser extensions and add-ons.
- Download AdwCleaner by clicking on the link below. Save it to your Desktop so that you can access the file easily.
Author: Xplode, MalwareBytes
Category: Security tools
Update: June 30, 2021
- Select the file location as Desktop, and then press Save.
- When downloading is finished, launch the AdwCleaner, double-click the adwcleaner_xxx.exe file.
- If the “User Account Control” prompts, click Yes to continue.
- In the AdwCleaner window, click the “Scan” to begin scanning your computer for the ‘ad supported’ software which causes annoying “Ad by Advertise” popups. While the AdwCleaner application is scanning, you can see count of objects it has identified as threat.
- Once AdwCleaner completes the scan, AdwCleaner will open a list of all threats found by the scan. Make sure all items have ‘checkmark’ and press “Clean”. If the AdwCleaner will ask you to reboot your PC, click “OK”.
The steps shown in detail in the following video.
Use AdBlocker to block “Ad by Advertise” and stay safe online
If you surf the Internet, you cannot avoid malvertising. But you can protect your web browser against it. Download and use an ad blocking application. AdGuard is an ad-blocking which can filter out a lot of of the malvertising, stoping dynamic scripts from loading malicious content.
- Download AdGuard program from the following link.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: November 15, 2018
- Once the download is done, launch the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” program window. Follow the prompts.
- After the installation is finished, click “Skip” to close the installation application and use the default settings, or click “Get Started” to see an quick tutorial that will allow you get to know AdGuard better.
- In most cases, the default settings are enough and you do not need to change anything. Each time, when you launch your PC system, AdGuard will start automatically and block pop-ups, web pages such “Ad by Advertise”, as well as other harmful or misleading sites. For an overview of all the features of the program, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the icon named AdGuard, which can be found on your desktop.
Tips to prevent “Ad by Advertise” pop-up ads and other unwanted applications
Now your PC system should be free of the adware that causes a lot of undesired “Ad by Advertise” pop up ads. Remove AdwCleaner. We suggest that you keep Zemana Anti Malware (to periodically scan your PC for new ‘ad supported’ softwares and other malicious software) and AdGuard (to help you stop intrusive popups and harmful pages). Moreover, to prevent adwares, please stay clear of unknown and third party applications, make sure that your antivirus program, turn on the option to scan for PUPs (potentially unwanted programs).
If you need more help with “Ad by Advertise” related issues, go to our Spyware/Malware removal forum.