The Terela is an adware (also known as ‘ad-supported’ software), which was set on your computer without your consent. The adware is used to open a lot of intrusive popup advertisements within the Chrome, Microsoft Internet Explorer, FF and Edge’s screen. As, the advertisers do not disdain to use any methods to promote their web pages and attract new users. Below we explain how to uninstall Terela adware and thereby remove any annoying ads from your internet browsers.
The Terela program can insert a large amount of advertisements directly to the web pages that you visit, creating a sense that the advertising banners has been added by the creators of the web-site. Moreover, a legal advertising links may be replaced on the fake advertisements, that will offer to download and install various unnecessary and harmful applications. Moreover, the ad-supported software has the ability to collect a huge count of personal information about you (your ip address, what is a web page you are viewing now, what you are looking for on the Internet, which links you are clicking), which can later transfer to third parties.
The malicious programs from the ‘ad supported’ software family that modifies the settings of browsers usually affects only the Chrome, Firefox, IE and MS Edge. However, possible situations, when any other browsers will be affected too. The adware may change the Target property of a web-browser’s shortcut, so every time you open the internet browser, instead of your start page, you will see an intrusive ad page.
Table of contents
- What is Terela
- Remove Terela virus
- How to manually uninstall Terela program
- How to automatically get rid of Terela virus
- Use AdBlocker to stop unwanted ads and stay safe online
- Where the Terela virus comes from
- To sum up
We recommend to remove Terela virus that redirects your web-browser on the annoying web pages, as soon as you found this problem, as it can direct you to web-resources that may load other harmful software on your personal computer.
Remove Terela virus
The answer is right here on this web page. We have put together simplicity and efficiency. It will allow you easily to clean your PC system of Terela software that redirects your web browser to undesired ad pages. Moreover, you can choose manual or automatic removal method. If you’re familiar with the machine then use manual removal, otherwise use the free anti-malware tool created specifically to remove adware virus. Of course, you can combine both methods. Some of the steps below will require you to exit the site. So, please read the few simple steps carefully, after that bookmark or print it for later reference.
How to manually uninstall Terela program
If you perform exactly the step by step guide below you should be able to uninstall Terela virus from your computer and thereby remove all unwanted ads in the Google Chrome, Firefox, IE and MS Edge internet browsers.
Delete all adware and other potentially unwanted software through the MS Windows Control Panel
Check out the MS Windows Control Panel (Programs and Features section) to see all installed software. We recommend to click on the “Date Installed” in order to sort the list of programs by the date you installed them. If you see any unknown and suspicious programs, they are the ones you need to delete.
Press Windows button , then press Search . Type “Control panel”and press Enter. If you using Windows XP or Windows 7, then click “Start” and select “Control Panel”. It will display the Windows Control Panel as shown on the screen below.
Further, press “Uninstall a program”
It will display a list of all programs installed on your PC system. Scroll through the all list, and uninstall any suspicious and unknown applications.
Fix web browser shortcuts, changed by adware
Now you need to clean up the web-browser shortcuts. Check that the shortcut referring to the right exe-file of the web browser, and not on any unknown file.
Open the properties of the browser shortcut. Right click on the shortcut of infected web browser and select the “Properties” option and it will show the properties of the shortcut. Next, select the “Shortcut” tab and have a look at the Target field like below.
Normally, if the last word in the Target field is chrome.exe, iexplore.exe, firefox.exe. Be sure to pay attention to the extension, should be “exe”! All shortcuts that have been modified by adware like Terela usually point to .bat, .cmd or .url files instead of .exe like below
Another variant, an address has been added at the end of the line. In this case the Target field looks such as …Application\chrome.exe” http://site.address as shown in the figure below.
In order to fix a shortcut, you need to insert right path to the Target field or remove an address (if it has been added at the end). You can use the following information to fix your shortcuts that have been changed by adware.
|Google Chrome||C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe|
|Mozilla Firefox||C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe|
|Internet Explorer||C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe|
|C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe|
|Opera||C:\Program Files (x86)\Opera\launcher.exe|
Once is finished, click OK to save changes. Repeat the step for all internet browsers that are re-directed to the Terela unwanted site.
How to automatically get rid of Terela virus
Run malware removal tools to get rid of Terela virus automatically. The free software utilities specially created for browser hijacker infections, ‘ad supported’ software and other potentially unwanted software removal. These tools can delete most of adware virus from Chrome, Microsoft Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox and Microsoft Edge. Moreover, it may remove all components of ad-supported software from Windows registry and system drives.
Remove Terela adware with Zemana Anti-malware
You can delete Terela automatically with a help of Zemana Anti-malware. We suggest this malware removal utility because it may easily remove browser hijackers, PUPs, Terela software which redirects your internet browser to unwanted ad sites with all their components such as folders, files and registry entries.
- Please download Zemana anti malware to your desktop by clicking on the following link.
Author: Zemana Ltd
Category: Security tools
Update: July 16, 2019
- At the download page, click on the Download button. Your browser will open the “Save as” dialog box. Please save it onto your Windows desktop.
- Once the download is finished, please close all programs and open windows on your personal computer. Next, launch a file named Zemana.AntiMalware.Setup.
- This will launch the “Setup wizard” of Zemana antimalware onto your system. Follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
- When the Setup wizard has finished installing, the anti-malware will run and show the main window.
- Further, click the “Scan” button to perform a system scan for the Terela adware virus that created to redirect your web browser to various ad web sites. A system scan can take anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes, depending on your computer. While the utility is scanning, you can see count of objects it has identified either as being malware.
- Once the system scan is finished, it will open a screen that contains a list of malicious software that has been found.
- Make sure all entries have ‘checkmark’ and click the “Next” button to begin cleaning your computer. Once the procedure is finished, you may be prompted to restart the machine.
- Close the Zemana Anti-Malware and continue with the next step.
Remove Terela virus with Malwarebytes
We suggest using the Malwarebytes Free. You may download and install Malwarebytes to scan for adware and thereby remove Terela adware from your internet browsers. When installed and updated, the free malware remover will automatically scan and detect all threats exist on the personal computer.
Download Malwarebytes on your personal computer from the link below. Save it on your Windows desktop or in any other place.
Category: Security tools
Update: April 15, 2020
Once the download is done, close all applications and windows on your computer. Double-click the set up file named mb3-setup. If the “User Account Control” dialog box pops up as shown on the image below, click the “Yes” button.
It will open the “Setup wizard” that will help you install Malwarebytes on your computer. Follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
Once setup is finished successfully, click Finish button. Malwarebytes will automatically start and you can see its main screen as on the image below.
Now click the “Scan Now” button . This will begin scanning the whole PC to find out Terela program that causes web browsers to show undesired popup ads. This procedure can take some time, so please be patient. While the tool is scanning, you can see how many objects it has identified as being infected by malware.
Once the system scan is done, it’ll show a screen that contains a list of malware that has been found. Review the scan results and then click “Quarantine Selected” button. The Malwarebytes will start removing ad supported software and other security threats. Once disinfection is complete, you may be prompted to restart the PC system.
We suggest you look at the following video, which completely explains the process of using the Malwarebytes to remove adware and other malware.
Run AdwCleaner to remove Terela software from your computer/h4>
AdwCleaner is a free removal utility that can be downloaded and run to delete Terela virus which cause intrusive popup advertisements to appear, browser hijacker infections, malicious software, potentially unwanted applications, toolbars and other threats from your computer. You may use this tool to scan for threats even if you have an antivirus or any other security program.
Download AdwCleaner utility from the link below. Save it to your Desktop so that you can access the file easily.
Author: Xplode, MalwareBytes
Category: Security tools
Update: January 20, 2021
After downloading is finished, open the folder in which you saved it and double-click the AdwCleaner icon. It will run the AdwCleaner tool and you will see a screen as shown below. If the User Account Control prompt will ask you want to open the program, press Yes button to continue.
Next, press “Scan” to perform a system scan with this tool for the Terela app that causes a huge number of unwanted ads. This process can take some time, so please be patient. While the tool is checking, you can see number of objects it has identified as being infected by malware.
Once the scan is finished is finished, the results are displayed in the scan report as shown below.
In order to remove all items, simply click “Clean” button. It will show a prompt. Click “OK” to start the cleaning procedure. Once the clean-up is finished, the AdwCleaner may ask you to restart your machine. After restart, the AdwCleaner will display the log file.
All the above steps are shown in detail in the following video instructions.
Use AdBlocker to stop unwanted ads and stay safe online
By installing an ad-blocker application like AdbGuard, you’re able to stop unwanted ads, autoplaying video ads and get rid of a large number of distracting and unwanted ads on pages.
- Download AdGuard program from the following link.Adguard download
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: November 15, 2018
- When the download is complete, launch the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” program window. Follow the prompts.
- When the installation is finished, click “Skip” to close the installation program and use the default settings, or click “Get Started” to see an quick tutorial that will help you get to know AdGuard better.
- In most cases, the default settings are enough and you do not need to change anything. Each time, when you start your computer, AdGuard will start automatically and block ads, as well as other malicious or misleading web-pages. For an overview of all the features of the application, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the icon named AdGuard, which can be found on your desktop.
Where the Terela virus comes from
To sum up
Once you have finished the guide shown above, your PC should be clean from Terela program, hijacker infections and other malware. The Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, IE and MS Edge will no longer display unwanted web sites when you browse the World Wide Web. Unfortunately, if the guide does not help you, then you have caught a new adware, and then the best way – ask for help.
- Download HijackThis by clicking on the link below and save it to your Desktop.
Category: Security tools
Update: November 7, 2015
- Double-click on the HijackThis icon. Next click “Do a system scan only” button.
- When it completes the scan, the scan button will read “Save log”, click it. Save this log to your desktop.
- Create a Myantispyware account here. Once you’ve registered, check your e-mail for a confirmation link, and confirm your account. After that, login.
- Copy and paste the contents of the HijackThis log into your post. If you are posting for the first time, please start a new thread by using the “New Topic” button in the Spyware Removal forum. When posting your HJT log, try to give us some details about your problems, so we can try to help you more accurately.
- Wait for one of our trained “Security Team” or Site Administrator to provide you with knowledgeable assistance tailored to your problem with the undesired Terela adware.