The Search.webshields.org is a new browser hijacker infection from the big family of web-browser hijackers that affects browsers and modifies its settings such as home page, newtab page and search provider by default. It’s currently very active spreading on the Net. Many users have problems with cleaning a system from Search.webshields.org homepage and restoring the Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer and Edge settings.
The Search.webshields.org hijacker usually affects only the Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox and Microsoft Edge. However, possible situations, when any other web-browsers will be affected too. The browser hijacker infection will perform a scan of the PC for browser shortcuts and modify them without your permission. When it infects the internet browser shortcuts, it will add the argument such as ‘http://search.webshields.org/’ into Target property. So, each time you launch the web-browser, you will see the Search.webshields.org unwanted web-site.
The browser hijacker, which set the Search.webshields.org search as your home page can also set this annoying page as your search engine. You will encounter the fact that the search in the web-browser has become impossible to use, because the search results will consist of a large number of advertising links, links to malicious and misleading web-sites and a small amount of regular links, which are obtained from a search in the major search engines. Therefore, look for something using Search.webshields.org site would be a waste of time or worse, it can lead to even more infected system.
The Search.webshields.org browser hijacker is not a virus, but the virus behaves similarly. As a rootkit hides in the system, changes internet browser settings, and blocks them from changing. Also this browser browser hijacker infection can install additional browser addons, extensions and modules that will display advertisements and popups. And finally, the Search.webshields.org hijacker infection can collect a wide variety of personal information such as what web pages you are opening, what you are looking for the World Wide Web and so on. This information, in the future, may be transferred to third parties. Therefore it’s very important to disinfect your computer ASAP. Thereby get rid of Search.webshields.org , as well as other malware and ad supported software, which can be installed onto your system along with it.
How to Search.webshields.org hijacker get installed onto system
Most often, the free applications installer includes the optional potentially unwanted applications such as this browser hijacker. So, be very careful when you agree to install anything. The best way – is to choose a Custom, Advanced or Manual installation mode. Here disable (uncheck) all optional software in which you are unsure or that causes even a slightest suspicion. The main thing you should remember, you don’t need to install the optional applications which you do not trust! The only thing I want to add. Once the free programs is installed, if you uninstall this software, the start page and search provider by default of your favorite browser will not be restored. This must be done by yourself. Just follow the step-by-step guide below.
How to manually remove Search.webshields.org
If you perform exactly the guide below you should be able to remove the Search.webshields.org search. Read it once, after doing so, please print this page as you may need to close your browser or reboot your personal computer.
- Get rid of Search.webshields.org associated software by using Windows Control Panel
- Disinfect the browser’s shortcuts to get rid of Search.webshields.org search
- Remove Search.webshields.org redirect from Google Chrome
- Remove Search.webshields.org from Mozilla Firefox
- Delete Search.webshields.org from Microsoft Internet Explorer
Get rid of Search.webshields.org associated software by using Windows Control Panel
Press Windows button , then press Search . Type “Control panel”and press Enter. If you using Windows XP or Windows 7, then click “Start” and select “Control Panel”. It will open the Windows Control Panel as shown on the image below.
Further, press “Uninstall a program” It will display a list of all software installed on your PC system. Scroll through the all list, and uninstall any suspicious and unknown programs.
Disinfect the browser’s shortcuts to get rid of Search.webshields.org startpage
Now you need to clean up the browser shortcuts. Check that the shortcut referring to the right exe-file of the browser, and not on any unknown file. Right click to a desktop shortcut for your browser. Choose the “Properties” option.
It will open the Properties window. Select the “Shortcut” tab here, after that, look at the “Target” field. The browser hijacker can replace it. If you are seeing something like “…exe http://search.webshields.org/” then you need to remove “http…” and leave only, depending on the web-browser you are using:
- Google Chrome: chrome.exe
- Opera: opera.exe
- Firefox: firefox.exe
- Internet Explorer: iexplore.exe
Look at the example as shown below. Once is finished, click the “OK” button to save the changes. Please repeat this step for internet browser shortcuts which redirects to an unwanted web-sites. When you have completed, go to next step.
Remove Search.webshields.org redirect from Google Chrome
Reset Chrome settings is a simple way to uninstall the malware and adware extensions, as well as to restore the web-browser’s settings that have been modified by hijacker.
- Open the Chrome and click Menu button (small button in the form of three horizontal stripes).
- It will open the Chrome main menu. Select “Settings” option.
- You will see the Chrome’s settings page. Scroll down and press “Show advanced settings” link.
- Scroll down again. Press the “Reset settings” button.
- The Chrome will show the reset profile settings page as shown on the image above.
- Next press the “Reset” button.
- Once this task is finished, your web-browser’s homepage, new tab page and search engine by default will be restored to their original defaults.
- To learn more, read the post How to reset Google Chrome settings to default.
Remove Search.webshields.org from Mozilla Firefox
First, start the FF. Open the main menu by clicking on the button in the form of three horizontal stripes (). It opens the drop-down menu. Next, click the Help button (). In the Help menu click the “Troubleshooting Information”. In the upper-right corner of the “Troubleshooting Information” page click on “Refresh Firefox” button as shown on the image below. Confirm your action. Click on the “Refresh Firefox”.
Delete Search.webshields.org from Microsoft Internet Explorer
To restore the homepage and search engine by default you need to reset the IE’s settings to the state, they were when the Windows OS was first installed on your computer.
First, launch the Internet Explorer. Open the Tools menu (click ‘gear’ icon ). It displays the drop-down menu on the right part of the browser, then click the “Internet Options”. In the “Internet Options” dialog screen, you need to click the “Advanced” tab, then click the “Reset” button. The IE will display the “Reset Internet Explorer settings” dialog box. Further, click the “Delete personal settings” check box to select it. Next, press the “Reset” button as shown in the figure below. Once the task is finished, click “Close” button, then close the Microsoft Internet Explorer. Restart your computer for the changes to take effect. This step will help you to back your internet browser’s start page and search provider by default to default state.
How to remove Search.webshields.org with Antimalware
Remove Search.webshields.org hijacker manually is difficult and often the browser hijacker is not completely removed. Therefore, we recommend you to use the MalwareBytes Anti-malware Free that are completely clean your PC. Moreover, the free application will help you to delete adware and toolbars that your computer may be infected too.
- Download MalwareBytes Anti-malware (MBAM) from the link below. Malwarebytes Anti-malware
Category: Security tools
Update: April 15, 2020
- Close all applications and windows on your computer. Open a directory in which you saved it. Double-click on the icon that named mbam-setup.
- Further, press Next button and follow the prompts.
- Once installation is finished, press the “Scan Now” button to start scanning your PC for Search.webshields.org hijacker. This procedure can take some time, so please be patient.
- When the scan is finished, make sure all entries have “checkmark” and click “Remove Selected”. Once disinfection is finished, you may be prompted to Restart.
How to block Search.webshields.org redirect
To increase your security and protect your system against new annoying ads and dangerous web-pages, you need to use program that blocks access to malicious advertising links and web sites. Moreover, the software can block the show of intrusive advertising, which also leads to faster loading of sites and reduce the consumption of web traffic.
- Download AdGuard program using the following link.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: November 15, 2018
- After the download is complete, run the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” program window. Follow the prompts.
- Once the installation is done, click “Skip” to close the installation program and use the default settings, or click “Get Started” to see an quick tutorial that will help you get to know AdGuard better.
- In most cases, the default settings are enough and you do not need to change anything. Each time, when you start your system, AdGuard will start automatically and block pop-up ads, sites such Search.webshields.org, as well as other dangerous or misleading pages. For an overview of all the features of the application, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the icon named AdGuard, which is located on your desktop.
Remove Search.webshields.org browser hijacker infection and malicious extensions with AdwCleaner.
If MalwareBytes Anti-malware cannot remove this browser hijacker infection, then we suggests to use the AdwCleaner. AdwCleaner is a free removal tool for browser hijackers, adware, PUPs, toolbars. Also you can ask for help our Myantispyware team below.
Download AdwCleaner from the link below.
Author: Xplode, MalwareBytes
Category: Security tools
Update: January 20, 2021
Once finished, open a directory in which you saved it. You will see an icon like below.
Double click the AdwCleaner desktop icon. Once this tool is started, you will see a screen as shown on the screen below.
Press “Scan” button to perform a system scan for Search.webshields.org browser hijacker infection and browser’s malicious extensions. Once AdwCleaner has finished, it will open a scan report as shown on the image below.
Review the report and then click “Cleaning” button. It will open a prompt.
Click “OK”. When the cleaning process is finished, the AdwCleaner may ask you to reboot your personal computer.
When your PC is started, you will see an AdwCleaner log.
How to ask for help the Myantispyware team
If you are seeking a help for Search.webshields.org removal then follow these steps.
- Download HijackThis from the link below and save it to your Desktop. HijackThis download
Category: Security tools
Update: November 7, 2015
- Double-click on the HijackThis icon, and click the button labeled “Do a system scan only”.
- Once the scan is complete, the scan button will read “Save log”, click it. Save this log to your desktop
Create a Myantispyware account here. Once you’ve registered, check your e-mail for a confirmation link, and confirm your account. After that, login.
- Copy and paste the contents of the HijackThis log into your post. If you are posting for the first time, please start a new thread by using the “New Topic” button in the Spyware Removal forum. When posting your HJT log, try to give us some details about your problems, so we can try to help you more accurately.
- Wait for one of our trained “Security Team” or Site Administrator to provide you with knowledgeable assistance tailored to your problem with Search.webshields.org removal.