Safeguard 2009 is a rogue antispyware program that looks like MS AntiSpyware 2009. Safeguard 2009 is distributed through the fake.alert trojan that displays fake security alerts, pop-ups found on fake anti-spyware online scanners. During installation, the software is set to start automatically when your computer starts and may drastically slow the performance of your computer.
Immediately after launch, System Guard 2009 starts scanning the computer and found a lot of trojans and spyware that cannot be removed unless you first purchase the software. The program also generates false security alerts, looks like Windows Security Center alerts, that recommends that you register SafeGuard 2009 in order to remove trojans and spyware found on your PC. If you are a non-techie computer user then this method of removing Safeguard 2009 and any associated malware from your computer is for you.
Symptoms in a HijackThis Log.
O4 – HKCU\..\Run: [Safeguard 2009] “C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SafeguardSoft Ltd\Safeguard 2009\sf2009.exe” /autorun
Use the following instructions to remove Safeguard 2009 (Uninstall instructions).
- Download MalwareBytes Anti-malware (MBAM). Close all programs and Windows on your computer.
- Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application. When the installation begins, keep following the prompts in order to continue with the installation process. Do not make any changes to default settings and when the program has finished installing, make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
- If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
- Once the program has loaded, select “Perform Quick Scan”, then click Scan.
- The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
- When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
- Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
- When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.
Safeguard 2009 creates the following files.
%APPDATA%\SafeguardSoft Ltd\Safeguard 2009\sf2009.exe
%APPDATA%\SafeguardSoft Ltd\Safeguard 2009\BASE
%APPDATA%\SafeguardSoft Ltd\Safeguard 2009\DELETED
%APPDATA%\SafeguardSoft Ltd\Safeguard 2009\LOG
%APPDATA%\SafeguardSoft Ltd\Safeguard 2009\LOG\20090206129351795.log
%APPDATA%\SafeguardSoft Ltd\Safeguard 2009\SAVED
%UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Safeguard 2009\Safeguard 2009.lnk
If you need help with the instructions, then post your questions in our Spyware Removal forum.