Antivirus 2009 Plus is a rogue antivirus/antispyware program that looks like RapidAntivirus. The program is distributed through the use trojans and pop-ups found on fake anti-spyware online scanners. Once infected with the trojans your computer will display fake security alerts stating that your computer is infected with malware. If you are clicking on the fake alert, then the trojan will install Antivirus 2009 Plus or opens up a Antivirus 2009 Plus home site asking you to purchase the program in order to protect your PC.
During installation, Antivirus 2009 Plus configures itself to run automatically every time, when you start your computer. Once running, it will scan your computer and reports false or exaggerated system security threats on the computer that cannot be removed unless you first purchase the software. Also Antivirus 2009 Plus finds are legitimate programs and labels them as spyware, for example C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes’ Anti-malware\mbam.exe labels as Spyware.ActivityKey and C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe labels as Keylogger.Stawin.
Antivirus 2009 Plus also generates false security alerts, fake firewall alerts and may drastically slow the performance of your computer. Use the free instructions below for removing the Antivirus 2009 Plus and any associated malware from your computer.
Symptoms in a HijackThis Log.
O4 – Startup: Antivirus 2009 plus.lnk = C:\Program Files\Antivirus 2009 plus\Antivirus 2009 plus.exe
Use the following instructions to remove Antivirus 2009 plus (Uninstall instructions).
- Download MalwareBytes Anti-malware (MBAM). Close all programs and Windows on your computer.
- Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application. When the installation begins, keep following the prompts in order to continue with the installation process. Do not make any changes to default settings and when the program has finished installing, make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
- If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
- Once the program has loaded, select “Perform Quick Scan”, then click Scan.
- The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
- When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
- Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
- When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.
Antivirus 2009 Plus creates the following files and folders.
%programfiles%\Antivirus 2009 plus
%programfiles%\Antivirus 2009 plus\Antivirus 2009 plus.exe
%programfiles%\Antivirus 2009 plus\Buy.url
%programfiles%\Antivirus 2009 plus\Help.url
%programfiles%\Antivirus 2009 plus\HowToBuy.txt
%programfiles%\Antivirus 2009 plus\ID.dat
%programfiles%\Antivirus 2009 plus\License.txt
%programfiles%\Antivirus 2009 plus\Uninstall.exe
%UserProfile%\Application Data\Antivirus 2009 plus
%UserProfile%\Application Data\Antivirus 2009 plus\Antivirus 2009 plus.ini
%UserProfile%\Desktop\Antivirus 2009 plus.lnk
%UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\Antivirus 2009 plus.lnk
c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Antivirus 2009 plus
c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Antivirus 2009 plus\Purchase License.lnk
c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Antivirus 2009 plus\Start Antivirus 2009 plus.lnk
c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Antivirus 2009 plus\Support Page.lnk
c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Antivirus 2009 plus\Uninstall.lnk
If you need help with the instructions, then post your questions in our Spyware Removal forum.