If you are reading this article because you have received an email starting with “I am a hacker who has access to your operating system” and you are worried, you can stop worrying! This email is a new EMAIL SCAM.
This scam uses your email account name to convince you that the hacker was able to hack your email box, get full access to your computer and use you webcam to record video while you watch adult websites (porn). In order to keep the video from being sent to your contacts, the hacker demands a ransom payment in bitcoins.
Our team continue to receive reports of fraudulent messages. Below is an example of one of the extortion messages being sent out. The wording varies to some extent, but the email message looks something like this:
Hello! I am a hacker who has access to your operating system. I also have full access to your account. I've been watching you for a few months now. The fact is that you were infected with malware through an adult site that you visited. If you are not familiar with this, I will explain. Trojan Virus gives me full access and control over a computer or other device. This means that I can see everything on your screen, turn on the camera and microphone, but you do not know about it. I also have access to all your contacts and all your correspondence. Why your antivirus did not detect malware? Answer: My malware uses the driver, I update its signatures every 4 hours so that your antivirus is silent. I made a video showing how you satisfy yourself in the left half of the screen, and in the right half you see the video that you watched. With one click of the mouse, I can send this video to all your emails and contacts on social networks. I can also post access to all your e-mail correspondence and messengers that you use. If you want to prevent this, transfer the amount of $727 to my bitcoin address (if you do not know how to do this, write to Google: "Buy Bitcoin"). My bitcoin address (BTC Wallet) is: 1NiDJxCEzhvtBSREmXmQzQ27qtbpk7eZLF After receiving the payment, I will delete the video and you will never hear me again. I give you 50 hours (more than 2 days) to pay. I have a notice reading this letter, and the timer will work when you see this letter. Filing a complaint somewhere does not make sense because this email cannot be tracked like my bitcoin address. I do not make any mistakes. If I find that you have shared this message with someone else, the video will be immediately distributed. Best regards!
|Type||Bitcoin Email Scam|
|Subject line||Your Life Can Change, Read This Carefully, This Is The First And Last Time|
What to do when you receive “I am a hacker who has access to your operating system” email scam
Here are some easy steps which you need to follow after receiving these emails.
- Do not panic.
- Do not pay the ransom.
- Do not respond to the email spam.
- Mark the email as SPAM (junk mail)
- Avoid clicking links in email.
- Cover over your computer’s cam and add a micblock to the microphone port.
- Report any scams like these to the FBI’s Internet Crime Complaint Center.
- Scan your computer for malware
- Install an anti-phishing software
- If you receive an email that is similar but not the same as the example above, make sure you remove any personal info in this message, then post it as comment on this article. It will help our team monitor the latest scams.
How to scan your computer for malware
IT security specialists have built efficient removal tools to aid users in removing malicious software. Below we will share with you the best malware removal utilities that have the ability to search for and delete malware, adware, trojans and worms.
Download Zemana Free to detect and remove malware automatically from your computer. This is a freeware tool specially developed for malicious software removal. This utility can get rid of trojans, worms, adware and browser hijackers from Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer, MS Edge and Chrome and Microsoft Windows registry automatically.
- Zemana Anti Malware can be downloaded from the following link. Save it to your Desktop so that you can access the file easily.
Author: Zemana Ltd
Category: Security tools
Update: February 14, 2019
- Once the downloading process is complete, close all programs and windows on your PC system. Open a file location. Double-click on the icon that’s named Zemana.AntiMalware.Setup.
- Further, click Next button and follow the prompts.
- Once installation is complete, click the “Scan” button . Zemana program will scan through the whole machine for malicious software. A system scan can take anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes, depending on your computer. When a threat is found, the number of the security threats will change accordingly.
- As the scanning ends, Zemana Anti-Malware (ZAM) will show you the results. In order to remove all threats, simply click “Next”. After the cleaning process is finished, you can be prompted to reboot your computer.
How to protect yourself from phishing web-sites
It is important to use an AdBlocker program like the AdGuard to protect your system from phishing and harmful web pages. Most security experts says that it is okay to stop unwanted ads. You should do so just to stay safe! And, of course, the AdGuard can to block malicious and misleading web sites.
AdGuard can be downloaded from the following link. Save it on your Microsoft Windows desktop.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: November 15, 2018
After downloading it, start the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” screen as shown on the image below.
Follow the prompts. After the install is complete, you will see a window as displayed below.
You can click “Skip” to close the installation application and use the default settings, or press “Get Started” button to see an quick tutorial that will allow you get to know AdGuard better.
In most cases, the default settings are enough and you do not need to change anything. Each time, when you start your computer, AdGuard will start automatically and stop unwanted ads, block phishing, harmful or misleading web sites. For an overview of all the features of the application, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the AdGuard icon, which can be found on your desktop.