Are you seeing hopto.today redirects in the Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, FF and Microsoft Edge every time you use the internet browser to surf the Internet? This means that your personal computer is infected with an adware (sometimes called ‘ad-supported’ software) which looks the entire traffic generated by you and on this basis, it shows a ton of annoying pop-up ads. Currently, this adware are widely spread, due to the fact that most people are trying to find free software, download and install them on the PC without proper attention to the fact that the ‘ad supported’ software can penetrate into the PC along with them.
The ad-supported software usually affects only the Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge by changing the internet browser’s settings or installing a dangerous extensions (addons). Moreover, possible situations, when any other browsers will be affected too. The adware will perform a scan of the personal computer for browser shortcuts and modify them without your permission. When it infects the web-browser shortcuts, it’ll add the argument like ‘http://site.address’ into Target property. So, each time you launch the web browser, you will see an unwanted hopto.today web-page.
The adware may insert lots of ads directly to the web-pages that you visit, creating a sense that the advertising links has been added by the creators of the web-site. Moreover, a legal advertising links may be replaced on the fake advertisements, that will offer to download and install various unnecessary and harmful programs. Moreover, the adware has the ability to collect a lot of personal information about you (your ip address, what is a web page you are viewing now, what you are looking for on the Net, which links you are clicking), which can later transfer to third parties.
We recommend to get rid of the ad-supported software, which redirects your browser on the hopto.today unwanted site, as soon as you found this problem, as it can direct you to web-resources which may load other harmful software on your computer.
How can you prevent the hopto.today pop-ups
How to manually remove hopto.today redirect
The simple answer is right here on this page. We have put together simplicity and efficiency. It’ll allow you easily to clean your PC of ad-supported software. Moreover, you can choose manual or automatic removal method. If you are familiar with the PC system then use manual removal, otherwise use the free anti-malware tool designed specifically to remove ad-supported software which causes unwanted hopto.today pop-up ads. Of course, you can combine both methods. Read this manual carefully, bookmark or print it, because you may need to close your web-browser or restart your computer.
- Remove suspicious and unknown software by using Windows Control Panel
- Remove hopto.today redirect from Mozilla Firefox
- Remove hopto.today pop-up ads from Google Chrome
- Get rid of hopto.today advertisements from Internet Explorer
- Disinfect the browser’s shortcuts to get rid of hopto.today redirect
- Remove unwanted Scheduled Tasks
Remove suspicious and unknown software by using Windows Control Panel
The best way to start the machine cleanup is to remove unknown and suspicious programs. Using the Windows Control Panel you can do this quickly and easily. This step, in spite of its simplicity, should not be ignored, because the removing of unneeded applications can clean up your internet browser from ads, hijackers and so on.
- If you are using Windows 8, 8.1 or 10 then press Windows key, click Search. Type “Control panel”and press Enter.
- If you are using Windows XP, Vista, 7, then press “Start” button and click “Control Panel”.
- It’ll display the Windows Control Panel.
- Click “Uninstall a program” under Programs category.
- You will see a list of all installed software.
- Scroll through the all list, and remove suspicious and unknown applications. To quickly find the latest installed applications, we recommend sort software by date.
See more details in the video instructions below.
Remove hopto.today redirect from Mozilla Firefox
First, start the FF. Next, click the button in the form of three horizontal stripes (). It will show the drop-down menu. Next, click the “Help” button ().
In the Help menu, click the “Troubleshooting Information”. In the upper-right corner of the “Troubleshooting Information” page, click “Refresh Firefox” button.
Confirm your action, click the “Refresh Firefox”.
Remove hopto.today pop-up ads from Google Chrome
Reset Google Chrome settings is a easy way to delete the malware and adware, as well as to restore the internet browser’s settings that have been changed by adware.
- Now start the Chrome and click Menu button (small button in the form of three horizontal stripes).
- It will display the Google Chrome main menu. Select “Settings” option.
- You will see the Chrome’s settings page. Scroll down and click “Show advanced settings” link.
- Scroll down again and click the “Reset settings” button.
- The Chrome will open the reset profile settings page as on the image above.
- Next, click the “Reset” button.
- Once this process is finished, your web browser’s settings will be restored to their original defaults. This will reset your home page, newtab page and search provider by default.
- To learn more, read the post How to reset Chrome settings to default.
Get rid of hopto.today advertisements from Internet Explorer
First, launch the Internet Explorer, then press the button in the form of gear (). It will show the Tools drop-down menu as on the image below. Next, click the “Internet Options”.
In the Internet Options window click on the Advanced tab, then click the Reset button. The Internet Explorer will display the “Reset Internet Explorer settings” window as shown on the screen below. Select the “Delete personal settings” check box, then click on “Reset” button.
You will now need to reboot your PC system for the changes to take effect.
Disinfect the browser’s shortcuts to get rid of hopto.today redirect
When the ad-supported software is started, it can also modify the web browser’s shortcuts, adding an argument like “http://site.address” into the Target field. Due to this, every time you run the browser, it will be redirected to an annoying advertisements.
To clear the browser shortcut, right-click to it and select Properties. On the Shortcut tab, locate the Target field. Click inside, you will see a vertical line – arrow pointer, move it (using -> arrow key on your keyboard) to the right as possible. You will see a text which begins with “http://” which has been added here. You need to remove it.
When the argument is removed, click the OK button. You need to clean all shortcuts of all your web browsers, as they may be infected too.
Remove unwanted Scheduled Tasks
If the annoying hopto.today site opens automatically on Windows startup or at equal time intervals, then you need to check the Task Scheduler Library and get rid of all the tasks that have been created by ‘ad-supported’ applications.
Press Windows and R keys on the keyboard together. This shows a dialog box that titled as Run. In the text field, type “taskschd.msc” (without the quotes) and click OK. Task Scheduler window opens. In the left-hand side, press “Task Scheduler Library”, like below.
In the middle part you will see a list of installed tasks. Select the first task, its properties will be display just below automatically. Next, click the Actions tab. Pay attention to that it launches on your PC system. Found something like “explorer.exe http://site.address” or “chrome.exe http://site.address”, then you need remove it. If you are not sure that executes the task, check it through a search engine. If it is a component of the ‘ad-supported’ application, then this task also should be removed.
Having defined the task that you want to remove, then click on it with the right mouse button and select Delete as shown on the screen below.
Repeat this step, if you have found a few tasks that have been created by ‘ad-supported’ software. Once is finished, close the Task Scheduler window.
How to remove hopto.today with free malware removal program
Manual removal hopto.today requires some computer skills. Some files and registry entries that created by the adware may be not completely removed. We suggest that use the Malwarebytes Free which are completely clean your PC system. Moreover, the freeware will help you to remove malware, web browser hijackers and toolbars that your system may be infected too.
- Please download Malwarebytes to your desktop by clicking on the following link.
Category: Security tools
Update: March 20, 2018
- At the download page, press the Download button. Your browser will show the “Save as” prompt. Please save it onto your desktop.
- When the download process is complete, please close all applications and open windows on your computer. Double-click on the icon that’s named mb3-setup.
- This will run the Setup wizard of Malwarebytes onto your PC. Follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
- Once the Setup wizard has done installing, the malware remover will start and show the main window.
- Further, click the “Scan Now” button to begin checking your machine for the ad-supported software that redirects your internet browser to the hopto.today annoying web site. This procedure can take quite a while, so please be patient.
- Once the scan is finished, it will show a screen which contains a list of malicious software that has been found.
- When you are ready, press on “Quarantine Selected” button to begin cleaning your PC. Once the process is done, you may be prompted to reboot your PC system.
- Close the Anti-Malware and continue with the next step.
Video instruction, which reveals in detail the steps above.
How to stop hopto.today pop-up ads
To increase your security and protect your PC system against new unwanted ads and malicious web sites, you need to use an application that blocks access to harmful ads and web-sites. Moreover, the application can block the show of intrusive advertising, that also leads to faster loading of web pages and reduce the consumption of web traffic.
- Download AdGuard application by clicking on the following link.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: November 7, 2017
- Once downloading is finished, run the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” window. Follow the prompts.
- Once the installation is complete, click “Skip” to close it and use the default settings, or press “Get Started” to see a quick tutorial that will help you get to know AdGuard better.
- In most cases, the default settings are enough and you do not need to change anything. Each time, when you start your computer, AdGuard will launch automatically and stop popup ads, hopto.today redirects, as well as other malicious or misleading sites. For an overview of all the features of the application, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the AdGuard icon, that is located on your Windows desktop.
Remove hopto.today pop-ups and malicious extensions with AdwCleaner.
If MalwareBytes cannot remove the unwanted hopto.today advertisements from the Chrome, FF, MS Edge and Internet Explorer, then we suggests to use the AdwCleaner. AdwCleaner is a free removal tool for adware, browser hijackers, PUPs and toolbars.
Download AdwCleaner by clicking on the link below.
Author: Xplode, MalwareBytes
Category: Security tools
Update: April 30, 2018
When the download is done, open the directory in which you saved it. Double click the AdwCleaner icon. Once this tool is started, you will see a screen such as below.
Now, click the “Scan” button . This will begin scanning the whole personal computer to find out malicious extensions and ad supported software that displays advertisements from hopto.today web-page. Once the scanning is finished, it will show a scan report as shown below.
Review the report and then click “Clean” button. It will open a prompt. Click “OK”. When the cleaning procedure is complete, AdwCleaner may ask you to restart your computer.
Look at the following video, which completely explains the process of using the AdwCleaner to remove ad supported software, browser hijackers and other harmful programs.
Now your PC system should be free of the hopto.today redirect. Remove AdwCleaner. We suggest that you keep AdGuard (to help you block unwanted pop-up ads and annoying dangerous pages) and Malwarebytes (to periodically scan your machine for new malware and adware). Make sure that you have all the Critical Updates recommended for Windows OS. Without regular updates you WILL NOT be protected when new dangerous applications and ad supported software are released.
If you are still having problems while trying to delete hopto.today pop-up ads from your machine, then ask for help in our Spyware/Malware removal forum.