The appearance of annoying start.searchcontrolsettings.bid popups offering install a questionable browsers extension means that your computer is infected with an adware (also known as ‘ad-supported’ software). It makes changes to the machine settings and configures itself so as to launch automatically each time the computer is turned on. Immediately after startup, the ad-supported software begins to monitor the user’s actions and insert ads directly into the open windows of the FF, Chrome, Internet Explorer and MS Edge. So, if you notice that your browser has become display this web-site, then you do not need to wait . Perform the guide below and remove start.searchcontrolsettings.bid ads as quickly as possible.
The adware can change the settings of the Firefox, Google Chrome, Internet Explorer and MS Edge, but often that a malicious software such as this can also infect all types of internet browsers by changing their desktop shortcuts. Thus forcing the user each time open the browser to see start.searchcontrolsettings.bid annoying advertisements.
The adware may insert a lot of advertisements directly to the pages that you visit, creating a sense that the advertising banners has been added by the creators of the web page. Moreover, a legal advertising links may be replaced on the fake advertisements, that will offer to download and install various unnecessary and harmful programs. Moreover, the adware has the ability to collect a lot of personal information about you (your ip address, what is a web page you are viewing now, what you are looking for on the Web, which links you are clicking), which can later transfer to third parties.
Therefore it’s very important to follow the instructions below ASAP. The step-by-step instructions will assist you to remove adware as well as clean your computer from the start.searchcontrolsettings.bid pop-up ads. What is more, the step-by-step guide below will help you remove other dangerous software like unwanted toolbars and browser hijackers, which could penetrate the machine along with the ad supported software.
How to start.searchcontrolsettings.bid pop-ups get installed onto system
Probably, the ad-supported software get installed onto your computer when you have installed a free applications like E-Mail checker, PDF creator, video codec, etc. Because, most commonly the ‘ad supported’ software is bundled within the install packages from Softonic, Cnet, Soft32, Brothersoft or other similar web sites. Even removing the program that contains adware, does not help you get rid of the start.searchcontrolsettings.bid advertisements. Therefore, you must follow the instructions below to delete all annoying ads.
How to manually remove start.searchcontrolsettings.bid
The following instructions is a step-by-step guide, that will help you manually remove start.searchcontrolsettings.bid from the Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge.
- Delete suspicious and unknown programs by using Windows Control Panel
- Remove start.searchcontrolsettings.bid ads from Chrome
- Get rid of start.searchcontrolsettings.bid pop-ups from FF
- Get rid of start.searchcontrolsettings.bid pop-ups from Internet Explorer
- Disinfect the browser’s shortcuts to get rid of start.searchcontrolsettings.bid redirect
- Remove unwanted Scheduled Tasks
Delete suspicious and unknown programs by using Windows Control Panel
Press Windows key , then click Search . Type “Control panel”and press Enter. If you using Windows XP or Windows 7, then click “Start” and select “Control Panel”. It will open the Windows Control Panel as shown on the image below.
Next, click “Uninstall a program”
It’ll display a list of all software. Scroll through the all list and delete any suspicious and unknown software.
Remove start.searchcontrolsettings.bid ads from Chrome
Reset Google Chrome settings is a simple way to remove the malicious and ad-supported extensions, as well as to restore the web browser’s home page, newtab page and search provider by default that have been changed by ad supported software.
- Open the Google Chrome, then click the Menu icon (icon in the form of three horizontal stripes).
- It will show the Google Chrome main menu. Click the “Settings” menu.
- Next, click the “Show advanced settings” link, that located at the bottom of the Settings page.
- Further, click the “Reset settings” button, which located at the bottom of the Advanced settings page.
- The Chrome will display the reset settings prompt as shown on the screen above.
- Confirm the internet browser’s reset by clicking on the “Reset” button.
- To learn more, look the article How to reset Google Chrome settings to default.
Get rid of start.searchcontrolsettings.bid pop-ups from FF
If the Firefox settings have been changed by the ad supported software, then resetting it to the default state can help you to remove the redirect onto start.searchcontrolsettings.bid page.
First, start the Firefox and press button. It will open the drop-down menu on the right-part of the browser. Next, click the Help button () as shown in the figure below.
In the Help menu, select the “Troubleshooting Information” option. Another way to open the “Troubleshooting Information” screen – type “about:support” in the browser address bar and press Enter. It will display the “Troubleshooting Information” page like below. In the upper-right corner of this screen, press the “Refresh Firefox” button.
It will open the confirmation prompt, click the “Refresh Firefox” button. The Firefox will start a task to fix your problems that caused by the ‘ad supported’ software. When it’s finished, click the “Finish” button
Get rid of start.searchcontrolsettings.bid pop-ups from Internet Explorer
To remove the start.searchcontrolsettings.bid pop-ups you need to reset the IE to the state, which was when the Windows was installed on your PC system.
First, start the IE, then click ‘gear’ icon . It will open the drop-down menu on the right part of the internet browser, then click the “Internet Options” as shown on the screen below.
In the “Internet Options” screen, you need to select the “Advanced” tab and click the “Reset” button. The Microsoft Internet Explorer will open the “Reset Microsoft Internet Explorer settings” prompt as on the image below. Next, click the “Delete personal settings” check box to select it. After that, click the “Reset” button.
When the task is finished, click “Close” button. Close the Microsoft Internet Explorer and restart your personal computer for the changes to take effect. This step will help you to restore your web-browser’s settings to default state and disable ‘ad-supported’ extensions.
Disinfect the browser’s shortcuts to get rid of start.searchcontrolsettings.bid redirect
When the adware is started, it can also modify the web browser’s shortcuts, adding an argument such as “http://site.address” into the Target field. Due to this, every time you launch the web browser, it will be rerouted to an annoying advertisements.
To clear the web-browser shortcut, right-click to it and select Properties. On the Shortcut tab, locate the Target field. Click inside, you will see a vertical line – arrow pointer, move it (using -> arrow key on your keyboard) to the right as possible. You will see a text that starts with “http://” which has been added here. You need to remove it.
When the argument is removed, click the OK button. You need to clean all shortcuts of all your internet browsers, as they may be infected too.
Remove unwanted Scheduled Tasks
Once installed, the ‘ad supported’ software can add a task in to the Windows Task Scheduler Library. Due to this, every time when you open your computer, it will open start.searchcontrolsettings.bid annoying web-site. So, you need to check the Task Scheduler Library and remove all tasks that have been created by malicious program.
Press Windows and R keys on your keyboard simultaneously. It will display a prompt that titled as Run. In the text field, type “taskschd.msc” (without the quotes) and click OK. Task Scheduler window opens. In the left-hand side, press “Task Scheduler Library”, as shown in the figure below.
In the middle part you will see a list of installed tasks. Select the first task, its properties will be show just below automatically. Next, click the Actions tab. Necessary to look at the text which is written under Details. Found something like “explorer.exe http://site.address” or “chrome.exe http://site.address” or “firefox.exe http://site.address”, then you need delete this task. If you are not sure that executes the task, then google it. If it is a component of the adware, then this task also should be removed.
Further press on it with the right mouse button and select Delete as shown on the image below.
Repeat this step, if you have found a few tasks that have been created by unwanted software. Once is complete, close the Task Scheduler window.
How to remove start.searchcontrolsettings.bid ads automatically
Manual removal is not always as effective as you might think. Often, even the most experienced users can not completely get rid of start.searchcontrolsettings.bid ads from the infected computer. This is because the ad-supported software can hide its components which are difficult for you to find out and delete completely. This may lead to the fact that after some time, the adware again infect your personal computer and it will start to display unwanted start.searchcontrolsettings.bid pop-up ads. Moreover, I want to note that it is not always safe to remove ‘ad supported’ software manually, if you do not have much experience in setting up and configuring the computer.
I suggest using the Malwarebytes Free that are completely clean your PC system. It is an advanced malware removal program developed by (c) Malwarebytes lab. This program uses the world’s most popular anti-malware technology. It’s able to help you remove browser hijackers, malware, adware, toolbars, ransomware and other security threats from your personal computer for free.
Now, press the link below to download Malwarebytes Free on your computer. Save it on your Windows desktop or in any other place.
Category: Security tools
Update: February 5, 2019
After the download is finished, close all programs on your personal computer. Next, open the setup file named mb3-setup. If the “User Account Control” prompt pops up as on the image below, click the Yes button.
It will open the “Setup wizard” which will help you install Malwarebytes on your machine. Follow the prompts and don’t make any changes to default settings.
Once install is finished successfully, press Finish button. Then Malwarebytes will automatically start and you can see its main screen as on the image below.
Now click the “Scan Now” button for checking your system for the ad supported software which cause a redirect to start.searchcontrolsettings.bid. Once the ‘ad supported’ software or malware is found, the number of the detected objects will change accordingly. Wait until the the scanning is finished. Please be patient.
When it has finished scanning, you can check all threats detected on your personal computer. Make sure all entries have “checkmark” and click “Quarantine Selected” button. The Malwarebytes will begin removing malware and adware which cause start.searchcontrolsettings.bid pop-up ads. Once disinfection is complete, you may be prompted to reboot your machine.
I suggest you look at the following video, which completely explains the procedure of using the Malwarebytes application to delete adware and other malware.
How to stop start.searchcontrolsettings.bid pop-ups
To increase your security and protect your computer against new annoying advertisements and malicious web-pages, you need to use an application that blocks access to malicious ads and web pages. Moreover, the program can stop the display of intrusive advertising, which also leads to faster loading of web sites and reduce the consumption of web traffic.
- Download AdGuard program by clicking on the following link.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: November 15, 2018
- Once the downloading process is finished, run the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” window. Follow the prompts.
- Once the install is done, press “Skip” to close it and use the default settings, or press “Get Started” to see a quick tutorial that will assist you get to know AdGuard better.
- In most cases, the default settings are enough and you do not need to change anything. Each time, when you start your PC system, AdGuard will run automatically and block popup ads, start.searchcontrolsettings.bid redirects, as well as other dangerous or misleading web pages. For an overview of all the features of the program, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the AdGuard icon, that is located on your Windows desktop.
If the problem with start.searchcontrolsettings.bid advertisements is still remained
If MalwareBytes cannot remove start.searchcontrolsettings.bid ads, then we suggests to use the AdwCleaner. AdwCleaner is a free removal tool for adware, browser hijackers, PUPs, toolbars.
- Download AdwCleaner from the link below.
Author: Xplode, MalwareBytes
Category: Security tools
Update: January 25, 2019
- Double click the AdwCleaner icon. Once the utility is launched the main screen will appear as shown on the image above.
- Now, click the “Scan” button . This will start scanning the whole computer to find out adware that generates start.searchcontrolsettings.bid advertisements.
- Once the scan is done, AdwCleaner will display a scan report. Review the report and then click “Clean” button. It will show a dialog box, press “OK” button.
The following video explains the steps above on how to delete ad-supported software with AdwCleaner.
After completing the step-by-step instructions shown above, your system should be clean from malware and ad supported software. The Chrome, IE, Mozilla Firefox and Microsoft Edge will no longer display start.searchcontrolsettings.bid annoying pop-ups and redirect you to unknown sites. Unfortunately, if the guide does not help you, then you have caught a new type of ad-supported software, and then the best way – ask for help.
- Download HijackThis by clicking on the link below and save it to your Desktop.
Category: Security tools
Update: November 7, 2015
- Double-click on the HijackThis icon. Next click “Do a system scan only” button.
- When it has finished scanning your machine, the scan button will read “Save log”, click it. Save this log to your desktop.
- Create a Myantispyware account here. Once you’ve registered, check your e-mail for a confirmation link, and confirm your account. After that, login.
- Copy and paste the contents of the HijackThis log into your post. If you are posting for the first time, please start a new thread by using the “New Topic” button in the Spyware Removal forum. When posting your HJT log, try to give us some details about your problems, so we can try to help you more accurately.
- Wait for one of our trained “Security Team” or Site Administrator to provide you with knowledgeable assistance tailored to your problem with the unwanted start.searchcontrolsettings.bid advertisements.