If you keep receiving the Google Custom Search when you open the web-browser, it could mean your PC is infected with a malware from the web-browser hijacker family. Once installed, it will make changes to the Chrome, Firefox, IE and MS Edge’s settings. So, every time, when you start your internet browser, it will began to display annoying Google Custom Search instead of your startpage. Moreover, this malware may block an option to restore your startpage.
The Custom Search hijacker can change the settings of the Chrome, Firefox, IE and MS Edge, but often that malware like this can also infect all types of web-browsers by changing their desktop shortcuts. Thus forcing the user each time run the web-browser to see Google Custom Search annoying web-page.
When your computer is infected, every time you launch your web-browser you will see this web-page. Of course you can setup your start page again, but next time you open a browser you will see that Google Custom Search homepage return. As mentioned above, the hijacker may change the default search engine on this unwanted web site too, so all your search queries will be redirected to Google Custom Search. Thus the authors of the browser hijacker infection may collect the search terms of your queries, and redirect you to malicious web-sites.
The Custom Search infection is not a virus, but the virus behaves similarly. As a rootkit hides in the system, modifies internet browser settings, and blocks them from changing. Also this browser hijacker can install additional web-browser addons, extensions and modules that will display advertisements and popups. And finally, the Custom Search infection can collect a wide variety of personal information such as what web-pages you are opening, what you are looking for the World Wide Web and so on. This information, in the future, may be transferred to third parties. Therefore it is very important to as quickly as possible to clean your PC, remove ‘Custom Search’ redirect , as well as other malicious and ad-supported software, which could penetrate the PC system along with it.
How to Google Custom Search browser hijacker get installed onto personal computer
How to manually remove Google Custom Search
This step-by-step instructions will help you remove Google Custom Search startpage. These Custom Search removal steps work for the Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge, as well as every version of Windows operating system. Some of the steps may require you to close the browser or reboot your personal computer. So, bookmark or print it for later reference.
- Get rid of Google Custom Search associated software by using Windows Control Panel
- Disinfect the browser’s shortcuts to remove Google Custom Search homepage
- Remove Google Custom Search from Google Chrome
- Get rid of Google Custom Search startpage in Firefox
- Get rid of Google Custom Search search in IE
Get rid of Google Custom Search associated software by using Windows Control Panel
First, you should try to identify and remove the program that causes the appearance of unwanted advertisements and web-browser redirect to unwanted web pages, using the ‘Uninstall a program’ which is located in the ‘Control panel’.
Windows 8, 8.1, 10
Windows XP, Vista, 7
Disinfect the browser’s shortcuts to remove Google Custom Search startpage
Now you need to clean up the web-browser shortcuts. Check that the shortcut referring to the right exe-file of the browser, and not on any unknown file. Right click to a desktop shortcut for your browser. Choose the “Properties” option.
It will open the Properties window. Select the “Shortcut” tab here, after that, look at the “Target” field. The browser hijacker can replace it. If you are seeing something like “…exe http://site.address” then you need to remove “http…” and leave only, depending on the internet browser you are using:
- Google Chrome: chrome.exe
- Opera: opera.exe
- Firefox: firefox.exe
- Internet Explorer: iexplore.exe
Look at the example on the screen below. Once is done, press the “OK” button to save the changes. Please repeat this step for internet browser shortcuts which redirects to an unwanted web-pages. When you have completed, go to next step.
Remove Google Custom Search from Google Chrome
Open the Google Chrome menu by clicking on the button in the form of three horizontal stripes (). It opens the drop-down menu. Click to Settings option. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the “Show advanced settings” link. Now scroll down until the Reset settings section is visible, as shown below and click on the Reset settings button. Confirm your action, click on the Reset button.
Get rid of Google Custom Search startpage in Firefox
Open the Mozilla Firefox menu by clicking on the button in the form of three horizontal stripes (). It opens the drop-down menu. Click on the Help button (). In the Help menu click on the “Troubleshooting Information”. In the upper-right corner of the “Troubleshooting Information” page click on “Refresh Firefox” button. Confirm your action. Click on the “Refresh Firefox”.
Get rid of Custom Search search in IE
To restore the home page, new tab page and search provider by default you need to reset the Microsoft Internet Explorer’s settings to the state, they were when the Windows OS was first installed on your system.
Launch the Microsoft Internet Explorer. Open the Tools menu (click ‘gear’ icon ). It shows the drop-down menu on the right part of the web-browser, then click the “Internet Options”. In the “Internet Options” dialog screen, you need to click on the “Advanced” tab, then press the “Reset” button. The IE will display the “Reset Internet Explorer settings” dialog box. Click on the “Delete personal settings” check box to select it. Next press the “Reset” button. Once the task is done, click “Close” button, then close the Internet Explorer. Restart your computer for the changes to take effect. This step will help you to back your browser’s home page, newtab page and search provider by default to default state.
How to remove Google Custom Search with Antimalware
Remove Custom Search infection manually is difficult and often infection is not completely removed. Therefore, we recommend you to use the MalwareBytes Anti-malware Free that are completely clean your personal computer. Moreover, the free software will help you to remove adware and toolbars that your computer may be infected too.
- Download MalwareBytes Anti-malware (MBAM) from the link below. Malwarebytes Anti-malware
Category: Security tools
Update: March 20, 2018
- Close all programs and windows on your computer. Open a directory in which you saved it. Double-click on the icon that named mbam-setup.
- Click Next and follow the prompts.
- Once installation is complete, click on the “Scan Now” button to start scanning your computer for Google Custom Search infection. This procedure can take some time, so please be patient.
- When the scan is finished, make sure all entries have “checkmark” and click “Remove Selected”. Once disinfection is completed, you may be prompted to Restart.
Block Custom Search and other similar malicious sites
To increase your security and protect your PC system against new annoying advertisements and malicious sites, you need to use an application that blocks access to dangerous advertising and web pages. Moreover, the software can block the display of intrusive advertising, which also leads to faster loading of pages and reduce the consumption of web traffic.
Download AdGuard program using the following link.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: July 17, 2017
Follow the prompts. After installation is complete, you will see a window as shown in the figure below.
You can click “Skip” to close the installation program and use the default settings, or press “Get Started” button to see an quick tutorial that will help you get to know AdGuard better.
In most cases, the default settings are enough and you do not need to change anything. Each time, when you start your PC, AdGuard will run automatically and block pop-up ads, web-sites such Custom Search, as well as other malicious or misleading web-pages. For an overview of all the features of the program, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the icon AdGuard, which is located on your desktop.
If the problem with Google Custom Search is still remained
If MalwareBytes Anti-malware cannot remove this browser hijacker, then we suggests to use the AdwCleaner. AdwCleaner is a free removal tool for browser hijackers, adware, PUPs, toolbars. Also you can ask for help our Myantispyware team below.
- Download AdwCleaner from the link below. AdwCleaner download
Author: Xplode, MalwareBytes
Category: Security tools
Update: September 3, 2018
- Double click the AdwCleaner icon. Once this tool is started, press “Scan” button to perform a system scan for Custom Search browser hijacker.
- Once AdwCleaner has finished, it will open a scan report. Review the report and then click “Cleaning” button. It will display a prompt. Click “OK”.
How to ask for help the Myantispyware team
If you are seeking a help for Google Custom Search removal then follow these steps.
- Download HijackThis from the link below and save it to your Desktop. HijackThis download
Category: Security tools
Update: November 7, 2015
- Double-click on the HijackThis icon, and click the button labeled “Do a system scan only”.
- Once the scan is complete, the scan button will read “Save log”, click it. Save this log to your desktop
- Create a Myantispyware account here. Once you’ve registered, check your e-mail for a confirmation link, and confirm your account. After that, login.
- Copy and paste the contents of the HijackThis log into your post. If you are posting for the first time, please start a new thread by using the “New Topic” button in the Spyware Removal forum. When posting your HJT log, try to give us some details about your problems, so we can try to help you more accurately.
- Wait for one of our trained “Security Team” or Site Administrator to provide you with knowledgeable assistance tailored to your problem with Custom Search removal.