How to remove Windows Antivirus Pro (Uninstall instructions)

Windows Antivirus Pro is a rogue antivirus/antispyware program that uses false scan results and fake alerts as a method of scaring you into buying the software. During installation, Windows Antivirus Pro will be set to start automatically when you start your PC. Once running, it will begin to scan your PC and list a large amount of infections. All of these infections are fake, so you can safely ignore them.

Windows_Antivirus_Pro
Windows Antivirus Pro (more screenshoots 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)

Windows Antivirus Pro disables the ability to run any programs, including MalwareBytes’ Anti-Malware. The following alert will be shown when you try to run any program (files with “exe” extension):

This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

While Windows Antivirus Pro is running your computer will display nag screens and fake security alerts that tells you:

Security Warning
Malicious programs that may steal your private information
and prevent your system from working properly are detected
on your computer.
Click here to clean your PC immediately.

svchost.exe
svchost.exe has encountered a problem and needs to
close. We are sorry for inconvenience.

Warning
Unwanted software (malware) or tracking cookies have been found during
last scan. It is highly recommended to remove it from your computer.

Windows Antivirus Pro
Windows Antivirus Pro has denied
internet access of the program.
Internet Explorer is possible injected with worm Backdoor.Win32.Hupigon.fixn. This worm
attempts to send your personal information to remote host thought Internet Explorer.

Windows Antivirus Pro Alert
Infiltration Alert
Your computer is being attacked by an
Internet Virus. It could be a password-
stealing attack, a trojan-dropper or simular.
Details
Attack from: 239.80.11.105, port 58962
Attacked port: 41567
Threat: HalfLemon

Warning: Infection is Detected
Windows has found spyware infection on your computer!
Click here to update your Windows antivirus software…

Internet attack attempt detected:
Somebody is trying to attack your PC:
This can result in loss of your personal information and
infection other computers connected to your network.
Click here to prevent attack

Also the program will show fake Windows Security Center that will recommend you use Windows Antivirus Pro. Instead of doing so, use these Windows Antivirus Pro removal instructions below in order to remove this infection and any associated malware from your computer for free.

O2 – BHO: ICQSys (IE PlugIn) – {F54AF7DE-6038-4026-8433-CC30E3F17212} – C:\WINDOWS\system32\dddesot.dll
O23 – Service: AntipyPro_12 (AntipPro2009_12) – Unknown owner – C:\WINDOWS\svchast.exe

Use the following instructions to remove Windows Antivirus Pro (Uninstall instructions)

1. Remove Windows Antivirus Pro main components.
Please download OTM by OldTimer from here. Once Save Dialog opens, please rename a file from OTM.exe to OTM.com and click Save button to save it to desktop.

Run OTM. Copy,then paste the following text in “Paste Instructions for Items to be Moved” window (under the yellow bar):

:processes
svchast.exe
Windows Antivirus Pro.exe

:services
AntipPro2009_12

:reg
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{F54AF7DE-6038-4026-8433-CC30E3F17212}]

:files
%windir%\system32\desot.exe
%windir%\system32\dddesot.dll
%windir%\svchast.exe

You will see window similar to the one below.

Windows_Antivirus_Pro_otm
OTM

Click the red Moveit! button. When the tool is finished, it will produce a report for you. If you are asked to reboot the machine choose Yes.

2. Repair running .exe files.
Click Start, Run. Type command and press Enter. Type notepad and press Enter.
Notepad opens. Copy all the text below into Notepad.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command]
@="\"%1\" %*"

Save this as fix.reg to your Desktop (remember to select Save as file type: All files in Notepad.)
Double Click fix.reg and click YES for confirm.

3. Remove Windows Antivirus Pro associated malware.

Select Perform Quick Scan, then click Scan, it will start scanning your computer for Windows Antivirus Pro infection. This procedure can take some time, so please be patient.

Windows_Antivirus_Pro_mbam

Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected for start Windows Antivirus Pro removal process. When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.

Note: if you need help with the instructions, then post your questions in our Spyware Removal forum.

Update: a new version of Windows Antivirus Pro has been released. It is called Windows Police Pro. Read the article: Remove Windows Police PRO (Uninstall instructions).

Windows Antivirus Pro creates the following files and folders

c:\program files\windows antivirus pro\tmp\images\w2.gif
c:\program files\windows antivirus pro\tmp\images\w3.gif
c:\program files\windows antivirus pro\tmp\images\w3.jpg
c:\program files\windows antivirus pro\tmp\images\wt1.gif
c:\program files\windows antivirus pro\tmp\images\wt2.gif
c:\program files\windows antivirus pro\tmp\images\wt3.gif
%UserProfile%\start menu\Programs\windows antivirus pro\Windows Antivirus Pro.lnk
%UserProfile%\Desktop\Windows Antivirus Pro.lnk
c:\WINDOWS\svchast.exe

Windows Antivirus Pro creates the following registry keys and values

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{f54af7de-6038-4026-8433-cc30e3f17212}
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Windows AntiVirus Pro
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Win AntiVirus Pro
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Services\antippro2009_12

July 27, 2009 on 9:11 am | In Rogue Anti Spyware, Tutorials - HowTo | 216 Comments |

1. FUCK YEA WE WIN AGAIN! THE MACHINES CANNOT TAKE US OVER! WE WILL ALWAYS WIN THE GAME! THE GAME HAS BEEN WON! VICTORY AT LAST! VICTORY DAMMIT!

Comment by Quest Goldman — July 29, 2009 #

2. THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH FOR THIS GUIDE!!!!!!!!!!!

The first time I tried to remove the Windows Antivirus Pro virus it was already too late, and I didn’t have Malwarebite’s Anti-Malware installed or anything, so it literally took me 4 hours to completely remove the virus.

However, with this AWESOME tutorial I was able to remove all traces of the virus within about 10-15 mintues!

Thanks again!

- Paul

Comment by Paul — July 30, 2009 #

3. when i open the fix.reg it says registry editing disabed by administrator
    what to do? still just reboot?

Comment by gonzo — July 31, 2009 #

4. gonzo, ask for help at our Spyware removal forum.

Comment by Patrik — July 31, 2009 #

5. Thank you for putting this guide together. It was very helpful in getting rid of the crap from my PC. Good work!

Comment by MP — August 1, 2009 #

6. Hey gonzo, right click the “fix.reg” and click “Run as administrator”, and if you are prompted for a password, type it in and press “OK”.

Comment by Paul — August 2, 2009 #

7. Hey everyone I have made a great guide based on this one, but a more simplified and easier-to-use version. I have also included many great full versions of programs, including Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware, Spybot S&D, CCleaner, HijackThis, SpyHunter, Spyware Doctor, and HijackThis.

I have uploaded the file (about 113 MB, because of the programs I have included) to the following websites:

megaupload.com/?d=UC0BTGEY
    sendspace.com/file/xk9nmj
    filefactory.com/file/ahg6133/n/Windows_Antivirus_Pro_Removal_Guides_Automatic_Manual_rar
    teradepot.com/imd79c3hgjoz/Windows_Antivirus_Pro_Removal_Guides_(Automatic_+_Manual).rar.html
    turboupload.com/nt8259agq8ak/Windows_Antivirus_Pro_Removal_Guides_(Automatic_+_Manual).rar.html

I have also made my torrent, which, if you guys could, please download and seed so it gets more popular on torrent sites. thnx.
    the torrent file is located at:
    freewebs.com/rrpaul/Windows%20Antivirus%20Pro%20Removal%20Guides%20(Automatic%20+%20Manual).rar.torrent

Please take the time to try out my guide and download it with the torrent so it can get more seeds!

Thanks!

- Paul

Comment by Paul — August 2, 2009 #

8. this tutorial has to be the best right now ! :)
    i went to do some quick errands and when i came back i had the pleasure to find that friggin spyware !
    so any of u guys know if the procedure we just followed to get rid of that spyware, will prevent us to get it AGAIN ? or does it suppress it forever ?
    ty ….
    again i appreciate this post ! ;)

Comment by smoky — August 3, 2009 #

9. smoky to protect your PC from future infection:
    1. Install and use only Firefox or Opera
    2. Install an free antispyware (SpyBot) or use full version of MalwareBytes
    3. You should use a firewall. Without a firewall your computer is susceptible to being hacked and taken over.
    4. Update your apps including Windows, Acrobat Reader, Flash Player
    5. Be careful when opening attachments and downloading files

Comment by Patrik — August 3, 2009 #

10. I cant save the file as a .com file its stays as an exe and with this virus i cant run .exe files im runnin windows xp with mozilla

Comment by danny g — August 3, 2009 #

11. СПАСИБО! Молодец! В рунете написана одна херня, а это реально помогло.
    Thank you!

Comment by Gruffi — August 3, 2009 #

12. I was doing fine till i was supposed to use the notebook. when i use the command it wouldnt open notebook and it asked what i wanted to open it with. then my PC wanted to be rebooted so i rebooted. after that i can only run Opera but none of my other web browsers. i also cant pull up my antivirus software because it asks what it should be opened with. I have the virus as above and the popups are gone but my files are disrupted and they all need to be fixed TY

Comment by Mostafa — August 4, 2009 #

13. My heartfelt thanks to you for posting this fix.
    You ROCK!
    You got the job done when all my other solutions fell short.
    Once again, THANK YOU!

Comment by Mad Dog — August 4, 2009 #

14. danny, rename OTM.exe after it`s downloaded.

Comment by Patrik — August 4, 2009 #

15. Mostafa, you should repear “running .exe files”. If step 2 does not work for you, open Windows home folder (C:\Windows by default), look for notepad.exe, copy the file to your desktop and rename to notepad.com. Run it and do step 2.

Comment by Patrik — August 4, 2009 #

16. If you already have Malwarebytes installed but it won’t run when you double click it and the registry is disabled then try this:

Click start and goto run:
    type command hit ok.
    type cd \
    type cd progra~1
    type cd malwar~1
    type mbam.exe

When the malwarebytes window appears just click scan. Don’t try to update because it will fail. Hopefully this will find all the infections with the database you currently have. My database was dated 6/19/09 and it found everything and fixed it.

Comment by Patrick Wambach — August 4, 2009 #

17. For some reason the above entry got mangled on submission. the first line to type in the command window is cd \
    (Which is one backslash)

Comment by Patrick Wambach — August 4, 2009 #

18. Does fine till i get to cd malwar~1, then it says invalid directory?

Comment by Jay — August 4, 2009 #

19. Hi me and my boyfriend would just like to say thanks. You brought my computer back to life. I thought i was going to have to get rid of her. Thanks again YOU ROCK LOL P.S. Have a good one.

Comment by ms.china — August 4, 2009 #

20. The window antivirus has made me loss my internet so I can get on the internet to download the necessary stuffs to get rid of the fake software…. what should i do???

Comment by Lee — August 5, 2009 #

21. no matter WHAT i download onto my computer (including the OTM) the desot.exe thing still won’t let anything fully install….a little black screen pops up and disappears too fast to read really.

Comment by sydney — August 5, 2009 #

22. Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!!! I had spent ten hours attempting to get rid of this virus on my on. I had done numerous scans and could do nothing. By three in the morning I could not use Internet Explorer at all. I came across your website at 10am and by this afternoon, I AM FREE!!! I am a techno idiot so if I could follow these instructions, anyone can. Yes it was free, no gimmicks.

Comment by Nikki Stewart — August 5, 2009 #

23. Hello,

I have this virus also. I also cannot run any .exe files. I tried going into the run command and that didn’t do anything either. Said something to the effect the program was not recognized as an executable file or something. Anyone know another way to get rid of this thing??? I can download stuff but I just can’t get it to open to install it. Has to do with the desot.exe file.

Thanks!

Comment by Jennifer Hadfield — August 5, 2009 #

24. This site seems to have the best instructions but to no avail. I can’t even get to my desktop. I can only run programs by using the “Run” feature built into task manager. In won’t allow me to run any anti malware programs or registry cleaners or regedit or anything. I followed the instructions above and Old Timer supposedly removed the viruses but it made ZERO difference.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Ive been at this for days already and can’t get to first base.

Comment by Abbi — August 6, 2009 #

25. I’ve tried ALL of the steps listed above, and still cannot get rid of this darn bug! Now my PC clicks as if it’s going to a new webpage (even though it’s idle) and plays little clips of country songs (I have no country on my laptop). Please, someone HALP!!!!!

Comment by Erica — August 6, 2009 #

26. AMAZING…. U ARE A GOD AGIANST THE TERMINATORS

Comment by M4nfred — August 7, 2009 #

27. I think i may be too infected at thispoint. i cannot even download the spyware programs you mentioned. i go to run them and the win antivirus tells me the files are too infected to run. i try to delete some of the files listed above and it tells me im not authorized. Any suggestions? Thanks

Comment by mustain — August 7, 2009 #

28. Thanks for this excellent post!

Comment by Joe — August 7, 2009 #

29. Can not complete Step 2. It says registry editing is disabled by administrator

Comment by Larry — August 8, 2009 #

30. cannot start Malwarebytes. tried Patrick’s approach… no go.

Comment by Bryan — August 8, 2009 #

31. You are the man/or woman!!! I finally got rid of that BS! I hate people who don’t have anything else better to do then to mess with others shit. Thanks for the help…I mean THAAAAANNNNKKKKSSS!

Comment by Ryan — August 9, 2009 #

32. After I saved fix.reg to my desktop, I rebooted.
    My desktop icons,start button,task bar disappeared. only my wall paper is left. I can ctrl,alt del and get into task manager. can someone help me?

Comment by Bob — August 10, 2009 #

33. This guide is awesome~!

Comment by Patrik Lover — August 10, 2009 #

34. Great.. excellent.. thanks a lot…. you made it so simple..

Infact I was searching some other sites and they told to download spydoctor and other tools.. the surprising part is that after downloading this F Windows Antivirus crap is not allowing it to run !!!!

this was really a great information.. please do keep it up.. I am sure that this has helped a lot of ppl around the world…

Comment by Justin — August 10, 2009 #

35. Thanks!
    Step 1 totally wiped out the Windows Virus Pro so I’m very encouraged.
    I encountered some problems with step 2, however.
    after copying text into notepad and saving it as fix.reg I double-clicked on it to confirm ‘yes’.
    error message from registry editor says ‘registry editing has been disabled by your administrator.’

I restarted my computer and it’s says rundll32.exe not found.

also I can’t run any applications without windows asking me what to open it with. I tried to open firefox w firefox but doesn’t seem to work.

What can I do from here? please let me know. Thanks ALOT.

Comment by Omar — August 11, 2009 #

36. The fix was quick and easy although I my register still isn’t quite right. The pop-ups are gone but I can’t execute a program… my .exe files are still coming up on notepad.

Comment by ptf0246 — August 11, 2009 #

37. (I submitted before but comments aren’t posted)

Thanks for posting this tutorial! step one was awesome!

In step 2, first I had to enable registry editor and then in trying to open ‘fix.reg’ Error message says “Cannot import…the specified file is not a registry script. You can only import binary registry files from within the registry editor.” What does this mean?

Comment by omar — August 12, 2009 #

38. Lee, you can use another computer to download the necessary stuffs or try to download it using Safe mode with networking.

Comment by Patrik — August 12, 2009 #

39. sydney, you should rename OTM.exe to OTM.com before saving.

Comment by Patrik — August 12, 2009 #

40. Jennifer, you should use OTM (rename before saving), then run registry script, look steps above.

Comment by Patrik — August 12, 2009 #

41. Abbi, try run malwarebytes in the Safe mode.

Comment by Patrik — August 12, 2009 #

42. Erica, probably your computer also infected with hidden trojan (rootkit), try to run Malwarebytes in the Safe mode or ask for help at our Spywre removal forum.

Comment by Patrik — August 12, 2009 #

43. Bob, try to run explorer.exe from TaskManager.

Comment by Patrik — August 12, 2009 #

44. Omar, you have fixed malware, but you should also fix “running .exe”. Boot your computer, open Malwarebytes home folder and rename mbam.exe to mbam.com. Run it and perform a full scan.

Comment by Patrik — August 12, 2009 #

45. omar, looks like you have made a mistake in the registry script. Try to make it again (step 2).

Comment by Patrik — August 12, 2009 #

46. Patrik, ThankYou for your help.I tried explorer.exe from task manager. Windows cannot access the specified device,path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item. was the response. I was able to install laptop HD in another pc as sec slave and run malware bytes which removed 47 objects. I can use explore to access this HD while mounted as sec slave. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Comment by Bob — August 12, 2009 #

47. This Worked Great!! I used this on my daughters Netbook which I thought for sure I’d end up having to take to a tech to figure out, but I followed these instructions and now it works fine. Thanks so much!!

Comment by lynn — August 12, 2009 #

48. Download AVP tool from avptool.virusinfo.info/en/
    and scan your infected HD.

Comment by Patrik — August 12, 2009 #

49. me again. So completed step 1 and 2, but
    Now am having a problem with step 3. Malwarebytes crashes within a few seconds and if I try to re-open it, error message says,
    “Windows cannot access specified…you may not have appropriate permissions to access the item.”

Arggh. What should I do? Windows Antivirus Pro reappeared and I had to repeat step 1 and 2.

Comment by omar — August 12, 2009 #

50. omar, please make a new topic at our Spyware removal forum.

Comment by Patrik — August 12, 2009 #

51. I completed step 1, yet I’m having the same issue as Omar, with registry editing disbled.

Comment by jmarlow — August 13, 2009 #

52. Hi Patrik, I’ve already installed Malwarebytes but when I doubleclicked on it, there’s no response. I’ve also tried it under safe mode. Need help..

Comment by Kristine — August 13, 2009 #

53. Thank you!

Thank you!!

Thank you!!!

Great easy to follow steps!! It took a little bit of clicking around but I am all set, all thanks to your work!

David

Comment by David — August 13, 2009 #

54. Kristine and jmarlow, ask for help at our Spyware removal forum.

Comment by Patrik — August 14, 2009 #

55. All steps went good untill step 2, I used windows PE to load the hive and add the entries, but file association to exe’s has been lost trying diffrent things. Will post back if I get it fixed.

Comment by Dave — August 14, 2009 #

56. Thank you so so much! Finally got my computer back :)

Comment by Judy — August 14, 2009 #

57. Hi, I am trying to run this on Vista Ultimate. When i save the OTM.exe file as OTM.com and try run it, it says that this is not a valid Win32 application, Help.

Comment by Mike — August 14, 2009 #

58. Mike, try re-download OTM. Also you can try to rename OTM.exe to OTM.scr and run it.

Comment by Patrik — August 15, 2009 #

59. hey patrick wtf! i did the notepad thing & saved it as fix.reg double clicked it but it wont open to confirm dude wth!! i need some help please man i trusted your site 100% until that happenned

Comment by kenny — August 15, 2009 #

60. I need some help, and sorry ahead of time if this is in the wrong topic.

For some reason, I can’t get into safe mode, my comp will freeze up when I try entering safe mode after selecting start up in safe mode. Also, I can’t run programs from the desktop normally either.
    When I do try to start up a program I get that black page message Program too big.

Please help :o

Comment by Kit — August 15, 2009 #

61. thank you SO MUCH. this worked.

Comment by shelby — August 15, 2009 #

62. Im using firefox and cant rename before saving help!!

Comment by jose f — August 16, 2009 #

63. Okay, I must be really stupid, because I can’t even get past step 1. Whenever I change the OTM.exe file to OTM.com it just saves it as OTM.com.exe. Is there any way to prevent this? Thank you.

Comment by Jojo — August 16, 2009 #

64. Okay I got to the fix.reg part but when I try to open it it says that the application is infected and that I should open my antivirus software. Waht do I do? Please help.

Jojo try downloading the file with Interent explorer not firefox then rename it.

Comment by Jose f — August 16, 2009 #

65. jose, save OTM.exe to desktop
    Enable “show file extensions for known types option”
    Open My Computer, Select the Tools menu, click Folder Options, Select the View tab. Uncheck the Hide file extensions for known types option. Click Ok.
    Rename OTM.exe to OTM.com

Comment by Patrik — August 16, 2009 #

66. Jojo, read my previous comment and enable “show file extensions for known types option”, then rename OTM.exe.

Comment by Patrik — August 16, 2009 #

67. Jose, try make reg file again. Don`t forget to select Save as file type: All files in Notepad in the Save dialog.

Comment by Patrik — August 16, 2009 #

68. I have tried everything and got as far as the dos command window. When I got to the mbam.exe entry, it just stopped and would not start. The directory is correct and the file name in that directory is correct, but the program will not run. I was able to do all of the other steps (OTM and fix.reg) to that point with no problems.

Comment by KATHY — August 16, 2009 #

69. hey patrick i need some help please i think i removed antivirus pro from my computer but my desktop is still infected, all the icons are still in red & the warning sign is still in the background, i can use my task manager but i can’t find svchast.exe nor antivirus pro please help me.l

Comment by kenny — August 16, 2009 #

70. Thank you so so so much!!!! I have to admit i was a little skeptical at first of this site because if the windows antivirus pro was a scam, what else was. Without having any other options I followed your instructions and i am so happy that i did. Everything is back to its original state. Thanks again and i will def refer you to others!!!

Comment by R — August 16, 2009 #

71. KATHY and kenny, make a new topic at our Spyware removal forum.

Comment by Patrik — August 16, 2009 #

72. I ran the entire process EXACTLY as shown. It went perfect and as expected until the final step. After Malware program found 46 infected files and I removed them all. When I clicked restart the computer will NOT LOAD WINDOWS AT ALL!!! I cannot even get it to load in safe mode!! It just reboots over and over!!!

WHAT THE F#@K!!!!!!!
    Somebody help please

Comment by Tim — August 16, 2009 #

73. Tim, looks like virus damaged a few system files. Try boot your PC in last good configuration.

Comment by Patrik — August 17, 2009 #

74. as to the problem i have seen posted that people ran into with windows asking what program should be used to open the program with, i simply pointed it towards c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe
    once i did this, the command shell opened, and i was able to open whatever i wanted, including regedit notpad, and malwarebytes. hopefully this works for others and isnt just a freak case i had. anyways good luck and be safe

Comment by John P — August 18, 2009 #

75. I am trying to rename the file otm but i can’t because when i goto mycomputer and click the tools tab it only shows Map Network Drive, Disconnect Network Drive, Synchronize

Comment by Nathan — August 18, 2009 #

Thanks a lot for this help…
    I faced a lot of trouble with Windows Anti-Virus Pro…
    And still my reg files r not repaired…
    for step 2…
    I created the fix.reg file and tried to run it but it says that registry changes r disabled by my administrator… I tried right-clicking and using run as option but it does not give any run as option…
    The only options i get on a right click are merge and open with…
    Please help me with this…

Bhavik

Comment by bhavik — August 18, 2009 #

77. Thanks SOOOO much.. you saved my life…

Comment by Mell — August 18, 2009 #

78. Thank yuo so much for this guide

Comment by abraham — August 18, 2009 #

79. Holla.

SO glad I found this tutorial. I was going to end up reformatting or something ridiculous.

Gracias!

Comment by Robert A. C. — August 19, 2009 #

80. I had a few things happen with my computer in the last day. I know I had the desot file on the computer, and followed these instructions. That was the only one found when I used the OTM program. After step2 I went to install the MBAM and the computer now won’t open any exe’s. It brings up a open with window that says “chose a program you want to use to open this file”.
    If you can help with a suggestion on how to fix this and get the exe’s to run again, I would greatly appreciate it.

Comment by Lisa — August 19, 2009 #

81. I just tried to run MBAM from safe mode and that didn’t work either. The same windows box came up asking me “chose the program you want to use to open this file” came up. It appears no exe’s will open but the Desot seems to be haulted.
    Any suggestions appreciated greatly!

Comment by Lisa — August 19, 2009 #

82. Thanks this walkthrough is a lifesaver.

Comment by timthetech — August 19, 2009 #

83. Thanks, my computer was getting slower and slower and then I could not open any programs, great fix, thank you again

Comment by Ian Burke — August 19, 2009 #

84. I hadn’t double clicked the notepad on step2 and that is why it hadn’t worked. After doing that, my EXE’s now work. I just want to say thank you so much for having this help out on the internet. I now hope step 3 works.

Comment by Lisa — August 19, 2009 #

85. Thanks, fixed everything, was pulling my hair out for days, but you fixed it in 15 minutes. You are the man!!!

Comment by Timmy — August 20, 2009 #

86. Perfect Thank you, I hate virus setters. Nothing better to do with there lives but mess with other peoples stuff!

Comment by Eric — August 20, 2009 #

87. Hey, thanks for this great guide. I had already got rid of most of the files but your guide showed me how to get rid of the dlls. Definitely going to fave this and give it to others with the same problem.

Comment by Sennyl — August 20, 2009 #

88. EVERYONE CHECK OUT MY VIDEO ON HOW TO REMOVE IT ON YOUTUBE! IT IS RATED 5 STARS AND WORKS!

youtube.com/watch?v=L56km7gu4gQ&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fuser%2FPTGProductionz&feature=player_profilepage

THERES THE LINK!

Comment by Gaven — August 20, 2009 #

89. I just wanted to tell everyone who has issues opening the software…

Right click the setup icon, select \

Comment by Robert — August 20, 2009 #

90. Guys, thank you from the bottom of my hard drive. It took a little while but I am back in the saddle!

Comment by BriTT — August 20, 2009 #

91. i had the Windows Antivirus Pro. i used the steps to uninstall it it worked fine the other day then the next day i turned on the computer and got a pop up window with desot.exe everytime i click on a program this window pops up no programs work… can anyone help me..

Comment by rob — August 21, 2009 #

92. Thx so much,I was about to reset my whole computer!You saved my life.Thanks!

Comment by Anonomys — August 21, 2009 #

93. i have followed all the steps and removed most of the issues but when i run Malwarebytes quick scan it goes through the scan removes the issues but then it prompts me to run a full scan, after i start the scan it runs and after awhile it gets to a certain point it stops responding, any ideas

Comment by Joel — August 21, 2009 #

94. For some reason for me the virus seems as if its gone, but whenever I try to run somthing it says “not enough memory” or somthing when I try to run it. I can’t open IE, and I cant download OTM. I feel helpless, can anyone help? :/

Comment by Brebdan — August 21, 2009 #

95. I agree with the above post. Your are a god among men!

Comment by Get Rich Quick — August 21, 2009 #

96. Thank you so much for posting this. You saved my computer.

Comment by Lisa Smith — August 21, 2009 #

97. Awesome information. Tried everything all night. Figured I would give it one more try before I toss it and sure enough it worked like a charm!
    Thank You SOOOOO Much!

Comment by KathyB — August 22, 2009 #

98. I would like to thank you and offer my first child in return for making it so easy. I will be sending more people to this page. I know many with the same problem
    Thanks again

Comment by Brian B — August 22, 2009 #

99. Hey, if it hasn’t already been said, for those who can’t open the OTM.com…exe..or whatever, change it to OTM.pif

Once I got over that hump everything else came easy.

Comment by Hoblit — August 22, 2009 #

100. Wow!Thanks you so much.Everything worked great.

Comment by Marty — August 22, 2009 #

101. hi i tried to Double Click on fix.reg for confirm, but nothing happenned help plz

Comment by Stev — August 23, 2009 #

102. Thank you! I’ve been fighting this particular malware for a couple months now. Had the Malware Bytes step but not the ones in your tutorial. I was down to losing all my .exes in windows until your regfix. Keep up the good fight! You guys are my heros!

Comment by Kevin — August 23, 2009 #

103. You know, I don’t mean to get hyperbolic on you or anything, but that Windows Pro was absolutely evil and the fact that you all provided a FREE solution that was quick and totally effective makes you truly good people. Thanks so very, very much!!!

Comment by JG — August 23, 2009 #

104. this works, thanks so much! but there is still one problem i have and i’m not sure if it’s to do with the windows anivirus pro. when i search up something on the internet and clink on the link it redirects to an advertisment page… is there someway to fix that?

Comment by Ann — August 23, 2009 #

105. This information was a Godsend. There were a lot of other \

Comment by Alan — August 23, 2009 #

106. Thank you thank you thank you. You guys are performing a great service to the public. 3 cheers for ya and I’m gonna sing for your a jolly good fellow too!

Comment by Loop — August 23, 2009 #

107. Nathan, rename otm.exe before saving, in the Save dialog.

Comment by Patrik — August 23, 2009 #

108. Bhavik, ask for help at our Spyware removal forum.

Comment by Patrik — August 23, 2009 #

109. rob, repeat step 2 again, then run MBAM.

Comment by Patrik — August 23, 2009 #

110. Joel, try to run MalwareBytes in the Safe mode. Also you can ask for help at our Spyware removal forum.

Comment by Patrik — August 23, 2009 #

111. Ann, looks like your computer also infected with DNSChanger trojan. Ask for help at our Spyware removal forum.

Comment by Patrik — August 23, 2009 #

112. please help!!! i cant get past the first step. after i downloaded the otm and renamed it, i ran the program however i get the “desot.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close” so i cant install it

Comment by chris — August 23, 2009 #

113. Greetings,

I have the windows anti virus pro bug..I did the OTM download everything worked..I was asked to reboot..I did that and it booted but no desk top..I did again in safe mode samething only this time I have internet connection but no desktop…What do I do?

Comment by dave — August 24, 2009 #

114. Can’t open after installation. Get “open with” screen. Any suggestions?

Comment by Larry121212 — August 24, 2009 #

115. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I could kiss you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Jen — August 24, 2009 #

116. chris, go to step 2.

Comment by Patrik — August 24, 2009 #

117. dave, ask for help at our Spyware removal forum.

Comment by Patrik — August 24, 2009 #

118. Larry121212, try step 2 again. You should repair “running .exe files”.

Comment by Patrik — August 24, 2009 #

119. Thank you guys so much for this.

Comment by Jay in Vegas — August 24, 2009 #

120. Alright, that seems to allow programs to run when double clicked. Don’t know how I messed that up before, thank you. Setup still will not run, however. I double click on the installer and nothing happens.

Comment by Larry121212 — August 24, 2009 #

121. Hey, when I first opened MBAM and clicked ‘Scan’ it would scan for a second or so and then the entire window would close. This has happened to me on multiple occasions and when I would try to re-open MBAM it would say \

Comment by Sharon — August 24, 2009 #

122. ‘you may not have permission to access this path’. Uninstalling and reinstalling MBAM doesn’t work. Could someone help me?

Comment by Sharon — August 24, 2009 #

123. thanks patrik but now when i move to step 2 i get another problem. when i try to run ‘command’ i get a messaged with 3 lines(the slashes are opposite). 16 bit ms-dos subsystem (title); line 1 C:/WINNT/system32/command.com; line 2 C:/WINNT/SYSTEM32/AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running ms-dos and microsoft windows applications. line 3 choose ‘close’ to terminate application…….when i ignore, the run program closes. please help

Comment by chris — August 24, 2009 #

124. I’ve got it to where it will run in install program (finally) but it always freezes when the setup process gets to “finishing installation”. The program shows up as installed on my computer, though I have to open the task manager to end process on the installer. The program is (theoretically) installed, but it simply will not open.

Comment by Larry121212 — August 24, 2009 #

125. i forgot to mention that i cant run safe mode and also everytime i boot my computer up i get a message ‘windows cannot find ‘logon.exe’. make sure you type name correctly and try again…’
    thanks again patrik!

Comment by chris — August 24, 2009 #

126. THANKS FOR HELPING ME GET THIS PAIN OUT OF MY ASS!!!!9

Comment by Aireeca — August 24, 2009 #

127. Thank you!!! This is an excellent walkthrough and it saved my life!

Comment by Adam — August 24, 2009 #

128. Thx so much i think that worked fingers crossed

Comment by Joel — August 25, 2009 #

129. guys need help of this freaking desot.exe it wont let me allow to download anykind of file.. and also i can open exe file. i already tried changng ther names.. and add something but it still doesnt work.. pls help… just send me some information on how to fix this problem,, heres my email.. maiyo_mcp @ ….com
    pls help..
    thnx….

Comment by maiyo — August 25, 2009 #

130. its making my day so bad… pls… help.. T_T

Comment by maiyo — August 25, 2009 #

131. I followed your instructions to remove Windows AntiVirus Pro and now my computer is completely hosed. I can’t access any files, programs or the internet and my desktop has a restore Active Desktop notice, but when I follow those instructions to look at properties, I get a note that Application is not found. Please help!

Comment by Dawn — August 25, 2009 #

132. I found another way to get on the internet, so I started the process over. When I double click Fix.reg, I never get an opportunity to choose \

Comment by Dawn — August 25, 2009 #

133. Let me try this again. I found another way to get on the internet, so I started the process over.

However, when I double click Fix.reg, I never get an opportunity to choose yes. What should I do?

Comment by Dawn — August 25, 2009 #

134. YOU GUYS KICK A$$. Thank you so much. You made a nightmare a cure all! I cannot thank you enough!!!!!

Comment by Brad — August 25, 2009 #

135. Sorry about that

In Step 2 when I save the fix.reg (it’s set to “All Files” and I’ve double checked to see if there was any mistakes), up till then everything works fine.

However, when I double click the fix.reg, I get this:

Logon.exe

Application not found

What do I do?

Comment by CB — August 25, 2009 #

136. Thank you so much!! Being a Marine you get a big OOOOOOOOORAHH! from me!

Comment by AoA Gunny — August 25, 2009 #

137. I have been fighting with this problem for a week, to no avail. This is the first problem I’ve had that I needed to seek help. Luckily first click I found this site. In 7 minutes, all was fixed.

I sincerely thank you, now to my scheduled coursework! haha, thank you!

Comment by Derrick — August 25, 2009 #

138. AWESOME. Worked the first time. I really appreciate the help guys, you rock!

Comment by Jason — August 25, 2009 #

139. ftw ;) Was able to remove in 30mins but I had a problem with “run as…” thing for malwarebytes. All I had to do is change mbamgui.exe to mbamgui.com… LOL
    Thanks guys

Comment by David — August 26, 2009 #

140. I couldnt run any EXE or install any of the said anti-spyware software. So here is what I did.

1. On bootup, press F8, boot using “Last known Config”.
    2. Install Malware AntiSpyware software. Update for the latest signatures (on 2nd tab)
    3. Then Scan using Malware AntiSpyware. It detected 63 spam trojans and windows AntiSpyware spam. Delete them. Let system reboot using normal configuation (not last known or Safe Mode that is).

It removed the desot.exe and other bad stuff I had on my PC. Worked for me.

Comment by KJ — August 26, 2009 #

141. Thanks! with Vista, I was gettting that OTM.com was not a valid win32 application…so I ran the OTM.exe through command prompt and that launched it….everything went perfect after that.

Comment by Gare — August 26, 2009 #

142. I’ve tried this many times and it seems no matter what I do I cannot get Malwarebytes to run. I’ve also tried running a disc of Norton 360 but it won’t install either. It is kind of a shame I can’t get anything that will fix my problem to install. Still, this step by step has at least allowed me the use of all programs already existing on my computer, which is nice.

Comment by Larry121212 — August 26, 2009 #

143. When I run a quick scan it goes for about 20 seconds and then it closes the program. What do I do?

Comment by Michael — August 27, 2009 #

144. Followed KJ’s advice and it worked perfectly! My computer is 100% okay now!

Thanks!

Comment by CB — August 27, 2009 #

145. Michael, ask for help at our Spyware removal forum.

Comment by Patrik — August 27, 2009 #

146. I was just about to format when i thought one last go. So glad i found your article Thanks…….

Comment by John — August 28, 2009 #

147. I can’t run malwarbytes it won’t come up. it is downloaded and I tried Patrick command and that did not work either. I know very little about computers can someone help PLEASE!

Comment by Heidi — August 28, 2009 #

148. my computer is slow but I do not have the antivirus pro pop up any more because I went into task manager and ended the program

Comment by Heidi — August 28, 2009 #

149. OMG, this is amazing. After spending hours of trying to remove Windows Antivirus Pro, I finally came across this page and removed that stupid virus successfully. THANK YOU!!!

Comment by Nika — August 28, 2009 #

150. Thank you so much! This program made my life a living hell for a week!

Comment by Ahmed — August 29, 2009 #

151. cant get past step two keep saying administrator wont allow have tryed all in post and still no good how can i fix.reg

Comment by sinista — August 29, 2009 #

152. sinista, ask for help at our Spyware removal forum.

Comment by Patrik — August 29, 2009 #

153. nice fix…good job man

Comment by none — August 30, 2009 #

154. Awesome! I can’t believe I actually found something that worked. I thought I was doomed. Thanks!

Comment by Andy — August 31, 2009 #

155. As others have said, this worked perfect for me and I found no other website that got rid of it so easily! I too thought I was doomed.

Comment by Brian — August 31, 2009 #

156. HELP! This didn’t help me I have desote.exe I did everything shown but it doesn’t go away. After I ran OTM it didn’t delete the file because it was looking for desot.exe. What do I do now? I manually removed desote.exe but it keeps coming back!

Comment by Ruth — August 31, 2009 #

157. Ok, I did everything that was stated above but it didn’t work. destoe.exe and svchast.exe keep coming back!

There has to be something that causes this to come back some application or something.

I run the above steps above in safe mode with network and still have the same problem. Even after I run the OTM when the log pops up I get the same debug error (79).

I made sure that windows patrol (the police patrol) files are gone. I am not sure what to do now. :(

Comment by Ruth — August 31, 2009 #

158. Ruth, try these steps: http://www.myantispyware.com/2009/08/31/remove-windows-police-pro-uninstall-instructions/

Comment by Patrik — September 1, 2009 #

159. Help!!! I ran OTM and it seemed to work fine. But then I ran the .reg file (which I copied and pasted) and rebooted and now I can’t run any programs. For example, if I try to run msconfig, I get a message \

Comment by Bob North — September 1, 2009 #

160. when i start anti malware it closes down after 30 seconds!! what do i do

Comment by jose — September 1, 2009 #

161. Bob, try step 2 again.

Comment by Patrik — September 2, 2009 #

162. jose, make a topic at our Spyware removal forum.

Comment by Patrik — September 2, 2009 #

163. THANK YOU SO MUCH!! this forum was explained very well and clearly! THANK YOU SO MUCH & it saved me a lot of money! i’ve never seen a forum so successful and im truly grateful which is why i had to come on here and thank the person that created this forum! YOU ARE AWESOME & i am truly grateful for your help! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

Comment by Queen Smilee — September 2, 2009 #

164. I have followed te instructios t the letter and have finally removed this beast from my system, installed the antimalware..BUT NOW I CAN NOT ACCESS THE INTERNET< PLEASE tell me how to repair this last detail…ps Thanks for saving the day!..heck week..

Comment by linda — September 2, 2009 #

165. Excellent! Saved a friend’s laptop that her son with a MIS degree said would have to be wiped clean. Thanks…..I’m a hero.

Comment by Doug — September 2, 2009 #

166. Linda, open the instruction.Scroll down and read additional step 1.

Comment by Patrik — September 2, 2009 #

167. Thank you! Saved my laptop from being wiped clean.

Comment by Sarina — September 4, 2009 #

168. Hello, I am in need of some help with this virus thing as well. I believe that I removed most of the files manually, it wouldnt let me dl any spyware program such as malware byte or AVG, it blocked my NOD32 program from running also.

All I know is last night after doublechecking thru spyware doctor of all the known threats I did remove them. I went back to malware bytes to get it installed and right cliked on it, and put in owner(which is me) and my pass, it then said cant install in safe mode, need to reboot. So, I did.

Once I rebooted I get nothing! It will go to start up and loading settings but logs back off. I tried all the other modes there are ie, safe mode, safe mode with networking, the configurations one, but, it will not let me boot back up. So, I am at a loss, I dont know what else to do, I could stick in the systems recovery disc, but, I will lose all my pictures :( but, I tried to dl the pics onto a cd the other day due to this virus and was unable to dl anything. Thank You for your help,

bella

Comment by niceandnaughtybella — September 7, 2009 #

169. niceandnaughtybella, make a new topic at our Spyware removal forum.

Comment by Patrik — September 7, 2009 #

170. I have major issues. got rid of most of the files myself..then found this guide…got otm..had malwarebytes…and got hijack this. I can’t run anything unless I change to .com…anything that does run…quits within 10 second of running, and I can’t run it again. I’ve deleted desot the other associatied files…but I replaced my rundll32.exe with a fresh one out of C:\i386…dunno if that caused more issues but I got issues…any thoughts?

Comment by Geo — September 10, 2009 #

171. It wont work for me some reason it just says the same blackbox C/:windows/system32/desot.exe.No reboot box comes up but these were my results

========== PROCESSES ==========
    No active process named svchast.exe was found!
    No active process named Windows Antivirus Pro.exe was found!
    ========== SERVICES/DRIVERS ==========
    Service\Driver AntipPro2009_12 not found.
    Service\Driver AntipPro2009_12 not found.
    ========== REGISTRY ==========
    Registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{F54AF7DE-6038-4026-8433-CC30E3F17212}\ not found.
    Registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{F54AF7DE-6038-4026-8433-CC30E3F17212}\ not found.
    ========== FILES ==========
    Folder C:\WINDOWSC:\WINDOWS\system32\desot.exe not found.
    Folder C:\WINDOWSC:\WINDOWS\system32\dddesot.dll not found.
    Folder C:\WINDOWSC:\WINDOWS\svchast.exe not found.

OTM by OldTimer – Version 3.0.0.6 log created on 09102009_211508
    Nothing was found and i dont know why but its still doesnt work

Comment by Stevie — September 10, 2009 #

172. Geo, probably your computer also infected with traojan braviax that has replaced a few system files (beep.sys, ntfs.sys). Try these braviax removal instructions or ask for help in our Spyware removal forum.

Comment by Patrik — September 10, 2009 #

173. I am having trouble removing this virus. I am not able to run ANY applications due to a “Cant load MSVCP80.dll” error message. I have tried everything stated in the instructions but i am not able to run any of the necessary programs for removal. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comment by Chris — September 14, 2009 #

174. Chris, try step 2. After that follow steps 1 and 3.

Comment by Patrik — September 14, 2009 #

175. thx patrik for your response. I seached for braviax and related files but found nothing. I still can’t get any exe or .com to run correctly. It seems that once it runs…it will run for a bit then just get killed…after its been run, whether I change to .com or back to .exe it won’t run. Spyware Dr needs to connect to inet to work, and its not lettin malware run at all. Access denied bs…..I’m stumped!

Comment by Geo — September 14, 2009 #

176. I think I forgot to mention it disables my network adapter which makes it a bit tougher to clean out. I’ve burnt otm, mw, spydr, all sorts of stuff on cd to try..but still have the instant kill of apps and updated via inet before scanning

Comment by Geo — September 14, 2009 #

177. Thank you soo much and i had just about given up hope and was gonna call someone to fix my computer. Just saved me money thank you

Comment by Larry — September 16, 2009 #

178. Can you please help me, for a month now(not sure what i did)i cannot open any programs on dsektop,start/programs anywhere. The icons have changed and apps all end in .INK. also something about rundll32 has come across too while trying to download antiviruses. I go to run the file, it goes to a file assosciation page, something about page file not found. I go to save it,only to not be able to open it,Ive been told to save the anti virus apps in a different name to trick the bug,also done in safe mode,did not work. I tried to restore, but there is no restoration point. I am going crazy here. Can somebody out there please help me. Desperate…. Thank you.

Comment by Allan — September 18, 2009 #

179. Allan, make a new topic in our Spyware removal forum.

Comment by Patrik — September 19, 2009 #

180. Hi all. I got this virus on my PC a month ago. Followed the instructions, got rid of it. Somehow today its back, and i didn’t hane a chance to do anything. At this point there is nothing on my desc top, exept my screensaver. Tried Safe mode, nothing, just black screen. Tried ctrl alt delite- nothing, says it’s disabled by the admin. What now? Please help. Dont have money to get a new comp right now and i need it for school.

Comment by victoria — September 19, 2009 #

181. and how come McAfee let this thing on my computer. Its suppose to be a good antivirus protection…

Comment by victoria — September 19, 2009 #

182. victoria, you have a few variants (for all of them you need a Windows installation disk).
    1. Using recovery console to repair system files (explorer.exe, ntfs.sys, eventlog.dll, beep.sys)
    2. Read the article michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Comment by Patrik — September 20, 2009 #

183. Yeah Patrik, but I have one problem, THE DISK :). I don’t have it:(. I was able to open the task manager in safe mode today. I wil try to do something with that. Hope it works, not very sure what i’m doing exactly, but i’ll try. All of the comments here are very helpful. Thank you.

Comment by victoria — September 20, 2009 #

184. ok, now i think my comp. is done :(. I was able to do everything in safe mode, but when was not able to perform the scan. Tried couple of times, and … got the blue screen that says
    \

Comment by victoria — September 20, 2009 #

185. The blue screen says “a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer” I think at this point my comp is done, unless you have any suggestions. I don’t have the windows disk anymore, i bought the comp 5 years ago. Help please.

Comment by victoria — September 20, 2009 #

186. Victoria, then you need ask for help in a local computer service company. Also you can call to Microsoft.

Comment by Patrik — September 20, 2009 #

187. I deleted the Windows Police Program but now my PC just gets a desot.exe needs to be terminated press ok to terminate and it just pops back up after I press ok. I also can’t run any programs.

Comment by Travis — September 21, 2009 #

188. If you get:

“Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.”

You can circumvent this by creating a DOS batch file (runme.bat), and add DOS commands to it.

Comment by Ben — September 23, 2009 #

189. I did this to install and run the anti-malware software that killed the “Personal Guard” virus.

For example, if you have a thumb drive, you can download Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware from another computer, save the install file on a thumb drive, then run the install by creating the batch file.

For those who don’t know what a batch file is, it’s just a text file with dos commands in it with an extension BAT. So to run the install, you create a text file called runme.bat then edit it in notepad and put in something like:

f:\malwarebytes_setup.exe

where f is the drive letter of the thumb drive.

Then double click your BAT file and it will run.

Comment by Ben — September 23, 2009 #

190. This Was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Much help! THANK YOU SO MUCH…..AN IT WAS EASY! WOW My comp is up and running again! YOur The Best. Im posting this up on Myspace! So Awesome!

Comment by Albert — September 27, 2009 #

191. Hi!
    My icons and desktop have disappeared. Everytime I try to run malwarebytes it starts scanning but then just shuts down. Anyone have any suggestions?

Comment by Johnathan — September 27, 2009 #

192. Johnathan, probably your computer also is infected wit a new version of trojan braviax. Ask for help in our Spyware removal forum.

Comment by Patrik — September 28, 2009 #

193. this is a pain in the ass i found that after i ran the otm program and went into safe mode i bsod everytime. So i used HIrens Boot cd and used the malewarebytes and mini xp loaded within the disk to get rid of the bs.

Comment by mattofwar — September 28, 2009 #

194. hello..i have the same issue..i actually deleted the folder saying WINDOWS PRO from my Program files..so the OTM says cannot find files svchast.exe…I do not know what to do next…Plzzzzzzzzzzzzzz help me out…

Comment by diana — September 30, 2009 #

195. hello..i have the same issue..i actually deleted the folder saying WINDOWS antivirus PRO from my Program files..so the OTM says cannot find files svchast.exe…I do not know what to do next…I am not able to open RUN…or any .exe file or even the web browser….Plzzzzzzzzzzzzzz help me out…

Comment by diana — September 30, 2009 #

196. diana, go to step 2.

Comment by Patrik — October 1, 2009 #

197. Hi Patrik thx for all this: but now windows xp will only boot to the trademark screen and the cursor – then it all stops. Cursor can be moved around on black screen but that’s the end. Last good config won’t go past cursor screen either. You told ‘tim’ it might have attacked some system files – how do I fix that?

Comment by warren — October 4, 2009 #

198. warren, you need Windows installation disk. Boot from the disk and choose Install Windows, then Recovery Windows option.

Comment by Patrik — October 5, 2009 #

199. Thank you very much for the instructions, tools, and the personal time for working to make things right. Windows Antivirus Pro and others like this need to be legally persecuted to the fullest extent. I have been developing software for over 10 years now and continue to find it repulsive that other developers are trying to take advantage of people with false system cleaning tools.

Thank you again.

Thanks again.

Comment by David J — November 7, 2009 #

200. This **** thing came out of nowhere and started to take over my computer. I tried several other solutions posted on the internet without success. Your solution was clear and straight forward – I removed this nasty program in about 1/2 hour. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Comment by J David J — November 8, 2009 #

201. Thanks you very much. This helped save work laptop.

Comment by Andy — November 11, 2009 #

202. rogxsysguard.exe

Ending this process really helped in getting rid of Windows anitviurs pro. After i ended the process I would no longer get the fake alerts.

Comment by Chancey — November 11, 2009 #

203. This stupid virus made me reinstall Windows (of course I had to reinstall everything on my main drive afterwards).

What a waste of a day.

Comment by Dale Coutts — November 22, 2009 #

204. omg!thanks i have been looking for a way to get rid of this thing 4ever.thanks again

Comment by chris — November 27, 2009 #

205. I think my notebook is beyond repair. I have this infection, and it’s to the point where no windows will stay open for more then 1 second. If I open the browser it takes me to sysguard2010.microsoft/block.php?r=59.16
    The task manager wont stay open for more then 1 second, and neither will OTM.COM
    I’ve been working on this thing all day, and I’m really running out of ideas. Anyone have any thoughts as to what I could do? ***@hotmail.com

As a sidebar, thanks to all who helped out with this site. It seems useful to alot of people, and It looks like alot of people needed the help. Keep up the good work.

Comment by Dan Dueck — November 27, 2009 #

206. Dan, make a new account at you PC, then log in to it. Now try run Malwarebytes Anti-malware. If it does not help you, then ask us for help in our Spyware removal forum.

Comment by Patrik — November 28, 2009 #

207. help – antivirus pro invaded me. cant do anything.

Comment by kevin — November 28, 2009 #

208. kevin, ask for help in our Spyware removal forum.

Comment by Patrik — November 29, 2009 #

209. I lent my father my laptop when i moved out of the house because he said i could have the desktop. He got an ASUS gaming computer so he gave me back the laptop ALONG WITH THE FAKE ASS WINDOWS ANTIVIRUS. I couldn’t do anything, not play UT99, or even burn a cd, not even boot in safemode with networking.

I followed everything step by step and now my laptop is back to normal, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR POSTING THIS.

Comment by Orlando — December 1, 2009 #

210. please help me i read some websites and they told me to restart and open task manager quickly but now my computer keeps going to a page with the options
    safe mode
    safe mode with networking
    safe mode with c0ommand prompt
    back to last working settings
    start windows normally
    but whichever one i pick it just keeps restarting and going back to that page. =(

Comment by steven — December 1, 2009 #

211. steven, if you cannot boot your PC in all modes, including Safe mode and Normal mode, then you need to use Windows Installation/Recovery disk to repair Windows system files or reinstall Windows.

Comment by Patrik — December 1, 2009 #

212. OMG THAT WORKED SO MUCH!!!

YOU ARE THE BEST!!!!!!!!!

Comment by macospat — January 17, 2010 #

213. Hi, So I think I have removed all of the associated files (they showed up under different names), but now my comp is freezing up when in use. This seems to be more frequent when streaming from hulu, or multitasking work. Any advice on what couldve gone wrong? I’m working on a xp pro

Comment by Bryan — March 2, 2010 #

214. Bryan, open a new topic on our Spyware removal forum. I will check your computer.

Comment by Patrik — March 3, 2010 #

215. Hey, Ive done steps 1 and 2 but I am still not able to run any exe files. Still says you do not have the permission to do this. Ive ran mwb in safemode and removed any infections but im still not able to run any programs or any exe. But i am able to open them if i right click and select start.

Comment by Paul — March 13, 2010 #

216. Paul, please follow the steps below:
    Click Start, Run. Type [b]command[/b] and press Enter.
    Type [b]notepad[/b] and press Enter.
    Notepad opens. Copy all the text below into Notepad.
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.exe]
    [-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\secfile]
    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\secfile]
    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe\shell\open\command]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command]
    @="\"%1\" %*"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe]
    @="exefile"
    "Content Type"="application/x-msdownload"

Double Click fix.reg and click YES for confirm.

Comment by Patrik — March 13, 2010 #