What is Check-the-article.com?
Check-the-article.com pop-ups are a scam that is designed to fool users into allowing browser push notifications. Push notifications are originally developed to alert users of recently published news. Cybercriminals abuse ‘browser notification feature’ to avoid anti-virus and ad blocker software by showing intrusive ads. These advertisements are displayed in the lower right corner of the screen urges users to play online games, visit suspicious web-pages, install web-browser extensions & so on.
The Check-the-article.com website shows a confirmation request states that clicking ‘Allow’ will let you confirm that you are not a robot, watch a video, access the content of the web page, enable Flash Player, connect to the Internet, download a file, and so on. Once you press the ‘Allow’ button, then you will start seeing unwanted advertisements in form of pop up windows on the screen.
|Type||spam push notifications, browser notification spam, pop-up virus|
|Distribution||suspicious pop up ads, social engineering attack, PUPs, adware software|
|Removal||Check-the-article.com removal guide|
Where the Check-the-article.com popups comes from
These Check-the-article.com pop ups are caused by shady advertisements on the websites you visit or adware. Adware is a type of malware. It have various methods of earning by displaying the advertisements forcibly to its victims. Adware can generate pop-up deals, show annoying advertisements, change the victim’s browser settings, or redirect the victim’s internet browser to scam web sites. Aside from causing unwanted ads and web browser redirects, it also can slow down the personal computer.
Remove Check-the-article.com notifications from web browsers
Your internet browser likely now allows the Check-the-article.com web-site to send you notifications, but you do not want the unwanted ads from this webpage and we understand that. We’ve put together this tutorial on how you can get rid of Check-the-article.com pop ups from Android, Microsoft Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge, Safari, Chrome and Mozilla Firefox.
How to remove Check-the-article.com popups (removal steps)
In the guidance below, we’ll try to cover the Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Internet Explorer, Chrome and MS Edge and provide general advice to remove Check-the-article.com popups. You may find some minor differences in your Microsoft Windows install. No matter, you should be okay if you follow the steps outlined below: uninstall all suspicious and unknown software, reset web browsers settings, fix internet browsers shortcuts, get rid of malicious scheduled tasks, use free malicious software removal tools. Read this manual carefully, bookmark it or open this page on your smartphone, because you may need to close your web browser or reboot your computer.
To remove Check-the-article.com pop ups, complete the steps below:
- Remove Check-the-article.com notifications from web browsers
- How to remove Check-the-article.com pop-up advertisements without any software
- Automatic Removal of Check-the-article.com popups
- Stop Check-the-article.com pop up ads
How to remove Check-the-article.com pop-up advertisements without any software
This part of the article is a step-by-step instructions that will help you to get rid of Check-the-article.com ads manually. You just need to follow every step. In this case, you do not need to download any additional software.
Uninstall adware through the Windows Control Panel
The main cause of Check-the-article.com pop up ads could be potentially unwanted software, adware or other undesired programs that you may have accidentally installed on the PC. You need to find and delete all suspicious apps.
- If you are using Windows 8, 8.1 or 10 then click Windows button, next click Search. Type “Control panel”and press Enter.
- If you are using Windows XP, Vista, 7, then click “Start” button and click “Control Panel”.
- It will open the Windows Control Panel.
- Further, click “Uninstall a program” under Programs category.
- It will show a list of all software installed on the PC system.
- Scroll through the all list, and delete dubious and unknown software. To quickly find the latest installed programs, we recommend sort apps by date.
See more details in the video tutorial below.
Remove Check-the-article.com pop up ads from Google Chrome
If your Google Chrome browser is redirected to unwanted Check-the-article.com page, it may be necessary to completely reset your internet browser program to its default settings.
- First, launch the Google Chrome and click the Menu icon (icon in the form of three dots).
- It will show the Chrome main menu. Choose More Tools, then click Extensions.
- You’ll see the list of installed extensions. If the list has the add-on labeled with “Installed by enterprise policy” or “Installed by your administrator”, then complete the following guide: Remove Chrome extensions installed by enterprise policy.
- Now open the Chrome menu once again, click the “Settings” menu.
- Next, click “Advanced” link, that located at the bottom of the Settings page.
- On the bottom of the “Advanced settings” page, click the “Reset settings to their original defaults” button.
- The Google Chrome will open the reset settings dialog box as shown on the screen above.
- Confirm the web browser’s reset by clicking on the “Reset” button.
- To learn more, read the post How to reset Google Chrome settings to default.
Delete Check-the-article.com ads from Internet Explorer
In order to restore all internet browser homepage, newtab and search provider by default you need to reset the Internet Explorer to the state, that was when the MS Windows was installed on your device.
First, start the Internet Explorer, then press ‘gear’ icon . It will open the Tools drop-down menu on the right part of the internet browser, then press the “Internet Options” as displayed on the image below.
In the “Internet Options” screen, select the “Advanced” tab, then click the “Reset” button. The Internet Explorer will open the “Reset Internet Explorer settings” prompt. Further, click the “Delete personal settings” check box to select it. Next, click the “Reset” button as displayed on the image below.
After the task is done, click “Close” button. Close the Microsoft Internet Explorer and restart your computer for the changes to take effect. This step will help you to restore your browser’s default search provider, startpage and new tab to default state.
Remove Check-the-article.com from Firefox by resetting browser settings
If the Mozilla Firefox internet browser program is hijacked, then resetting its settings can help. The Reset feature is available on all modern version of Firefox. A reset can fix many issues by restoring Firefox settings such as startpage, new tab page and search engine by default to their original settings. When using the reset feature, your personal information like passwords, bookmarks, browsing history and web form auto-fill data will be saved.
Click the Menu button (looks like three horizontal lines), and click the blue Help icon located at the bottom of the drop down menu as on the image below.
A small menu will appear, press the “Troubleshooting Information”. On this page, press “Refresh Firefox” button as shown on the screen below.
Follow the onscreen procedure to revert back your Mozilla Firefox web browser settings to their original state.
Automatic Removal of Check-the-article.com popups
In order to completely delete Check-the-article.com, you not only need to delete adware software from your personal computer, but also get rid of all its components in your computer including Windows registry entries. We recommend to download and use free removal utilities to automatically free your PC of adware that causes pop-ups.
How to remove Check-the-article.com popups with Zemana AntiMalware
Zemana Anti-Malware is a complete package of antimalware utilities. Despite so many features, it does not reduce the performance of your personal computer. Zemana AntiMalware can get rid of almost all the forms of adware including Check-the-article.com advertisements, hijackers, potentially unwanted applications and malicious internet browser addons. Zemana AntiMalware has real-time protection that can defeat most malicious software. You can use Zemana Anti-Malware with any other antivirus software without any conflicts.
- First, click the link below, then press the ‘Download’ button in order to download the latest version of Zemana AntiMalware.
Author: Zemana Ltd
Category: Security tools
Update: July 16, 2019
- When the download is finished, close all programs and windows on your computer. Open a folder in which you saved it. Double-click on the icon that’s named Zemana.AntiMalware.Setup.
- Further, click Next button and follow the prompts.
- Once install is done, click the “Scan” button for scanning your PC for the adware that causes Check-the-article.com popup advertisements in your browser. A system scan can take anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes, depending on your device. During the scan Zemana AntiMalware will find threats present on your PC system.
- After that process is complete, Zemana AntiMalware will open a list of detected threats. Make sure all items have ‘checkmark’ and click “Next”. Once finished, you can be prompted to restart your device.
Use Hitman Pro to remove Check-the-article.com ads
In order to make sure that no more harmful folders and files linked to adware are inside your device, you must use another effective malicious software scanner. We recommend to use HitmanPro. No installation is necessary with this utility.
Installing the Hitman Pro is simple. First you’ll need to download Hitman Pro by clicking on the following link.
Category: Security tools
Update: June 28, 2018
After the downloading process is done, open the folder in which you saved it. You will see an icon like below.
Double click the Hitman Pro desktop icon. Once the tool is launched, you will see a screen as shown below.
Further, press “Next” button . Hitman Pro program will scan through the whole device for the adware that causes Check-the-article.com advertisements in your internet browser. This procedure can take some time, so please be patient. When the scanning is finished, HitmanPro will display a list of all threats found by the scan like the one below.
Make sure to check mark the items which are unsafe and then click “Next” button. It will open a prompt, click the “Activate free license” button.
Run MalwareBytes to get rid of Check-the-article.com pop-up ads
Remove Check-the-article.com ads manually is difficult and often the adware is not fully removed. Therefore, we recommend you to use the MalwareBytes which are fully clean your PC system. Moreover, this free program will allow you to delete malware, PUPs, toolbars and browser hijackers that your PC system can be infected too.
- Download MalwareBytes Anti-Malware from the following link. Save it to your Desktop so that you can access the file easily.
Category: Security tools
Update: April 15, 2020
- At the download page, click on the Download button. Your web-browser will display the “Save as” prompt. Please save it onto your Windows desktop.
- When the downloading process is complete, please close all software and open windows on your device. Double-click on the icon that’s called MBSetup.
- This will open the Setup wizard of MalwareBytes Anti-Malware onto your personal computer. Follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
- When the Setup wizard has finished installing, the MalwareBytes AntiMalware will run and show the main window.
- Further, press the “Scan” button to perform a system scan for the adware software that causes popups. Depending on your personal computer, the scan can take anywhere from a few minutes to close to an hour. While the MalwareBytes program is scanning, you can see number of objects it has identified as threat.
- After MalwareBytes AntiMalware completes the scan, a list of all threats detected is produced.
- In order to remove all items, simply click the “Quarantine” button. Once disinfection is finished, you may be prompted to restart the device.
- Close the Anti-Malware and continue with the next step.
Video instruction, which reveals in detail the steps above.
Stop Check-the-article.com pop up ads
Running an ad blocking program like AdGuard is an effective way to alleviate the risks. Additionally, ad blocking apps will also protect you from harmful ads and web pages, and, of course, block redirection chain to Check-the-article.com and similar web-pages.
AdGuard can be downloaded from the following link. Save it on your Windows desktop.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: November 15, 2018
Once the download is finished, double-click the downloaded file to run it. The “Setup Wizard” window will show up on the computer screen as displayed on the image below.
Follow the prompts. AdGuard will then be installed and an icon will be placed on your desktop. A window will show up asking you to confirm that you want to see a quick guidance as displayed in the figure below.
Press “Skip” button to close the window and use the default settings, or click “Get Started” to see an quick tutorial which will allow you get to know AdGuard better.
Each time, when you launch your device, AdGuard will start automatically and stop unwanted ads, block Check-the-article.com, as well as other malicious or misleading webpages. For an overview of all the features of the application, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the AdGuard icon, that can be found on your desktop.
We suggest that you keep Zemana Anti-Malware (to periodically scan your device for new adwares and other malware) and AdGuard (to help you block annoying pop up advertisements and malicious web pages). Moreover, to prevent any adware software, please stay clear of unknown and third party software, make sure that your antivirus application, turn on the option to search for potentially unwanted applications.
If you need more help with Check-the-article.com pop-up ads related issues, go to here.