What is Defense-Search?
According to computer security professionals, Defense-Search is a PUP (potentially unwanted program) which falls under the family of Browser hijackers. Browser hijackers are created to take over the web-browser and control user’s surfing preferences. Defense-Search commonly aims at Chrome web browser, but it’s possible that it can hijack other internet browser too. PUPs and browser hijackers can sneak into the personal computer unnoticed due to the fact that it’s actively being promoted in free software. We suggest that you uninstall Defense-Search as soon as you notice the changes it has made to your newtab, default search engine and homepage.
Typically, browser hijackers and potentially unwanted programs promote specially created web pages by setting their address as the start page or search engine of the affected browser. In this case, the browser hijacker changes the browser settings to defense-search.xyz. That is, in other words, this browser hijacker is created for the sole purpose of forcing the user to visit the www.defense-search.xyz address when the user opens the homepage or uses the search engine. Therefore, the only way to get rid of a browser redirect to this unwanted website is to completely delete the browser hijacker associated with it. The reason for this is that potentially unwanted programs and browser hijackers often block the ability to change browser settings, thus preventing the user from restoring the homepage and search provider. For example, in this case, to remove defense-search.xyz from the address of the startpage and search engine, the user needs to uninstall the Defense-Search browser hijacker.
As well as unwanted web-browser redirects to defense-search.xyz, the Defense-Search hijacker can gather your Internet surfing activity by recording Internet Service Provider (ISP), URLs visited, web-sites visited, cookie information, IP addresses and web-browser version and type. Such kind of behavior can lead to serious security problems or privacy info theft. This is another reason why the browser hijacker should be deleted without a wait.
If you are unfortunate have browser hijacker, adware or malicious software running on your PC, you can follow the steps here to remove Defense-Search from MS Edge, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer and Chrome.
How can a browser hijacker get on your PC
PUPs and browser hijackers commonly comes on computers with other free programs. In many cases, such unwanted software comes without the user’s knowledge. Therefore, many users aren’t even aware that their PC has been affected with PUPs. Please follow the easy rules in order to protect your PC system from any undesired applications: do not install any suspicious software, read the user agreement and select only the Custom, Manual or Advanced installation option, don’t rush to click the Next button. Also, always try to find a review of the installed application on the Net. Be careful and attentive!
|Type||search provider hijacker, browser hijacker, PUP, redirect virus, startpage hijacker|
|Affected Browser Settings||start page, newtab URL, search engine|
|Distribution||fake update tools, freeware installation packages, suspicious pop-up ads|
|Symptoms||Ads appear in places they shouldn’t be. When you go to a web site, you’re often redirected to another web site that you do not intend to visit. There is an unexpected program in the ‘Uninstall a program’ section of your Control Panel. New internet browser add-ons suddenly added on your web-browser. Your computer settings are being altered without your request.|
|Removal||Defense-Search removal guide|
How to remove Defense-Search browser hijacker
When a browser hijacker like Defense-Search gets installed on your personal computer without your knowledge, it is not easy to delete. Most often, there is no a Uninstall program that simply delete a hijacker from the computer. So, we recommend using several well-proven free removal utilities such as Zemana Anti-Malware, MalwareBytes AntiMalware or HitmanPro. But the best way to get rid of Defense-Search browser hijacker will be to perform several manual steps, after that additionally run free malware removal tools.
To remove Defense-Search, use the steps below:
- How to manually get rid of Defense-Search
- Automatic Removal of Defense-Search
- How to stop Defense-Search redirect
How to manually get rid of Defense-Search
The steps will help you remove Defense-Search browser hijacker. These removal steps work for the Microsoft Internet Explorer, Chrome, Microsoft Edge and Firefox, as well as every version of computer operating system.
Deleting the Defense-Search, check the list of installed programs first
Some of potentially unwanted software, adware software and hijacker can be removed using the Add/Remove programs tool which is located in the Microsoft Windows Control Panel. So, if you’re using any version of Microsoft Windows and you have noticed an unwanted program, then first try to delete it through Add/Remove programs.
|Windows 7||Windows 8|
|Windows 10||Mac OS|
Delete Defense-Search browser hijacker from IE
The Microsoft Internet Explorer reset is great if your web browser is hijacked or you’ve unwanted add-ons or toolbars on your browser, that installed by a malware.
First, start the Internet Explorer, click ) button. Next, press “Internet Options” like below.
In the “Internet Options” screen select the Advanced tab. Next, click Reset button. The Internet Explorer will display the Reset Internet Explorer settings prompt. Select the “Delete personal settings” check box and press Reset button.
You will now need to reboot your personal computer for the changes to take effect. It will delete Defense-Search browser hijacker, disable malicious and ad-supported browser’s extensions and restore the Internet Explorer’s settings like newtab, search engine and startpage to default state.
Remove Defense-Search from Chrome
Reset Chrome will reset your home page, newtab page, search engine, and other browser settings hijacked by Defense-Search. All unwanted and malicious extensions will also be uninstalled from the browser. When using the reset feature, your personal information such as passwords, bookmarks, browsing history and web form auto-fill data will be saved.
- First launch the Chrome and click Menu button (small button in the form of three dots).
- It will display the Google Chrome main menu. Choose More Tools, then press Extensions.
- You’ll see the list of installed extensions. If the list has the add-on labeled with “Installed by enterprise policy” or “Installed by your administrator”, then complete the following guide: Remove Chrome extensions installed by enterprise policy.
- Now open the Google Chrome menu once again, click the “Settings” menu.
- You will see the Google Chrome’s settings page. Scroll down and click “Advanced” link.
- Scroll down again and press the “Reset” button.
- The Google Chrome will display the reset profile settings page as shown on the image above.
- Next click the “Reset” button.
- Once this task is finished, your browser’s search provider, home page and new tab page will be restored to their original defaults.
- To learn more, read the article How to reset Google Chrome settings to default.
Get rid of Defense-Search hijacker from Firefox
If the Mozilla Firefox web browser startpage, search engine and new tab page are changed by Defense-Search and you want to recover the settings back to their original settings, then you should follow the step-by-step guide below. Your saved bookmarks, form auto-fill information and passwords won’t be cleared or changed.
Start the Firefox and click the menu button (it looks like three stacked lines) at the top right of the browser screen. Next, click the question-mark icon at the bottom of the drop-down menu. It will open the slide-out menu.
Select the “Troubleshooting information”. If you are unable to access the Help menu, then type “about:support” in your address bar and press Enter. It bring up the “Troubleshooting Information” page as shown in the figure below.
Click the “Refresh Firefox” button at the top right of the Troubleshooting Information page. Select “Refresh Firefox” in the confirmation dialog box. The Firefox will start a procedure to fix your problems that caused by the Defense-Search browser hijacker. After, it is done, press the “Finish” button.
Automatic Removal of Defense-Search
Manual removal guide does not always help to remove browser hijacker easily, as it’s not easy to identify and remove components of browser hijacker and all malicious files from hard disk. Therefore, it’s recommended that you run malicious software removal tool to completely remove Defense-Search off your computer. Several free malware removal utilities are currently available that can be used against the browser hijacker. The optimum solution would be to use Zemana Anti-Malware, MalwareBytes AntiMalware and Hitman Pro.
Delete Defense-Search hijacker with Zemana Anti-Malware
Zemana is a malicious software removal tool created for MS Windows. This tool will help you get rid of Defense-Search browser hijacker, various types of malware (including adware and potentially unwanted applications) from your device. It has simple and user friendly interface. While the Zemana does its job, your PC system will run smoothly.
First, click the following link, then click the ‘Download’ button in order to download the latest version of Zemana.
Author: Zemana Ltd
Category: Security tools
Update: July 16, 2019
Once downloading is done, run it and follow the prompts. Once installed, the Zemana AntiMalware will try to update itself and when this task is finished, click the “Scan” button for scanning your PC system for the Defense-Search hijacker.
This process can take some time, so please be patient. When a threat is found, the number of the security threats will change accordingly. In order to delete all threats, simply press “Next” button.
The Zemana will begin to get rid of Defense-Search browser hijacker.
Run HitmanPro to delete Defense-Search from the PC
HitmanPro is a free removal tool that can be downloaded and run to delete browser hijackers, adware, malicious software, PUPs, toolbars and other threats from your device. You can run this tool to find threats even if you have an antivirus or any other security application.
- Download Hitman Pro by clicking on the following link.
Category: Security tools
Update: June 28, 2018
- When the downloading process is complete, run the HitmanPro, double-click the HitmanPro.exe file.
- If the “User Account Control” prompts, click Yes to continue.
- In the HitmanPro window, press the “Next” to locate Defense-Search hijacker. A system scan can take anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes, depending on your computer. While the Hitman Pro is scanning, you can see how many objects it has identified either as being malicious software.
- Once that process is done, the results are displayed in the scan report. Make sure to check mark the threats which are unsafe and then click “Next”. Now, click the “Activate free license” button to start the free 30 days trial to delete all malware found.
How to get rid of Defense-Search with MalwareBytes
If you are still having problems with the Defense-Search hijacker — or just wish to check your PC occasionally for browser hijacker and other malware — download MalwareBytes. It’s free for home use, and searches for and removes various undesired software that attacks your computer or degrades computer performance. MalwareBytes AntiMalware can get rid of adware software, potentially unwanted apps as well as malware, including ransomware and trojans.
- First, click the link below, then click the ‘Download’ button in order to download the latest version of MalwareBytes AntiMalware.
Category: Security tools
Update: April 15, 2020
- At the download page, click on the Download button. Your web browser will show the “Save as” prompt. Please save it onto your Windows desktop.
- After downloading is done, please close all apps and open windows on your PC system. Double-click on the icon that’s named MBSetup.
- This will run the Setup wizard of MalwareBytes AntiMalware onto your computer. Follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
- When the Setup wizard has finished installing, the MalwareBytes will open and open the main window.
- Further, click the “Scan” button to start scanning your computer for the Defense-Search browser hijacker. When a malware, adware or PUPs are detected, the number of the security threats will change accordingly.
- After finished, MalwareBytes will create a list of unwanted applications and browser hijacker.
- Review the report and then click the “Quarantine” button. When that process is complete, you may be prompted to restart the personal computer.
- Close the AntiMalware and continue with the next step.
Video instruction, which reveals in detail the steps above.
How to stop Defense-Search redirect
One of the worst things is the fact that you cannot stop all those unwanted web-pages such as Defense-Search using only built-in Windows capabilities. However, there is a program out that you can use to stop unwanted web browser redirects, ads and pop ups in any modern web-browsers including Internet Explorer, MS Edge, Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome. It’s named Adguard and it works very well.
Download AdGuard on your MS Windows Desktop by clicking on the following link.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: November 15, 2018
Once the downloading process is complete, start the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” screen as displayed on the image below.
Follow the prompts. After the installation is complete, you will see a window as shown in the following example.
You can click “Skip” to close the setup program and use the default settings, or click “Get Started” button to see an quick tutorial which will assist you get to know AdGuard better.
In most cases, the default settings are enough and you don’t need to change anything. Each time, when you launch your computer, AdGuard will start automatically and stop undesired ads, block Defense-Search, as well as other malicious or misleading web sites. For an overview of all the features of the program, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the AdGuard icon, that can be found on your desktop.
We suggest that you keep AdGuard (to help you block unwanted advertisements and intrusive harmful web sites) and Zemana AntiMalware (to periodically scan your personal computer for new browser hijacker and other malicious software). Probably you are running an older version of Java or Adobe Flash Player. This can be a security risk, so download and install the latest version right now.
If you are still having problems while trying to get rid of Defense-Search from Chrome, Edge, Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox, then ask for help here.