What is BGSearch?
According to cyber threat analysts, BGSearch is a potentially unwanted program (PUP) belonging to the family of Browser hijackers. Browser hijacker is a kind of software that is developed to change the internet browser settings without the knowledge or permission of the computer user, and it usually redirects the affected system’s internet browser to some advertisement-related web-sites. A browser hijacker installs multiple toolbars on the internet browser, redirects user web searches to its own web-page, generates multiple pop-up ads, initiates numerous popups and changes the default web-browser search provider or homepage. If your internet browser is infected by a browser hijacker you may need to follow manual steps or use a malware removal tool to revert changes made to your web browsers.
When you’re performing searches using the web-browser that has been affected by BGSearch, the search results will be returned from Bing, Yahoo or Google Custom Search. The developers of BGSearch browser hijacker are most likely doing this to earn advertisement profit from the ads displayed in the search results.
Another reason why you need to remove BGSearch is its online data-tracking activity. It can gather privacy data, including:
- IP addresses;
- URLs visited;
- search queries/terms;
- clicks on links and ads;
- web browser version information.
How can a browser hijacker get on your computer
These days certain free software makers bundle additional software that could be PUPs and browser hijackers like BGSearch, with a view to making some money. These are not freeware as install an unwanted application on to your Microsoft Windows device. So whenever you install a new free application that downloaded from the World Wide Web, be very careful during installation. Carefully read the EULA (a text with I ACCEPT/I DECLINE button), choose custom or manual installation option, reject all bundled apps.
|Type||search provider hijacker, browser hijacker, redirect virus, PUP, homepage hijacker|
|Affected Browser Settings||newtab URL, home page, search provider|
|Distribution||free programs installers, misleading pop-up advertisements, fake software updaters|
|Symptoms||Pop ups and new tabs are loaded without your request. When you go to a web-page, you’re periodically re-directed to another webpage that you do not intend to visit. Unwanted program installed without your knowledge. Unwanted internet browser toolbar(s) Your web browser start page has replaced and you are unable to modify it back.|
|Removal||BGSearch removal guide|
How to remove BGSearch hijacker
Without a doubt, the hijacker is harmful to your personal computer. So you need to quickly and completely remove this unwanted software. To remove the browser hijacker, you can use the manual removal guidance which are given below or free malware removal tools such as Zemana Anti-Malware, MalwareBytes AntiMalware or Hitman Pro (all are free). We advise you use automatic removal method which will help you to delete BGSearch hijacker easily and safely. Manual removal is best used only if you’re well versed in computers or in the case where hijacker is not removed automatically. Read this manual carefully, bookmark it or open this page on your smartphone, because you may need to close your internet browser or reboot your personal computer.
To remove BGSearch, use the following steps:
- How to manually delete BGSearch
- Automatic Removal of BGSearch
- How to stop BGSearch redirect
How to manually delete BGSearch
Manually uninstalling the browser hijacker is also possible, although this approach takes time and technical prowess. You can sometimes locate hijackers in your computer’s list of installed software and uninstall it as you would any other unwanted program.
Remove BGSearch related applications through the Control Panel of your device
First, you should try to identify and delete the program that causes the appearance of intrusive ads or internet browser redirect, using the ‘Uninstall a program’ which is located in the ‘Control panel’.
Windows 8, 8.1, 10
First, press Windows button , then click Search . Type ‘Control panel’and press Enter similar to the one below.
When the ‘Control Panel’ opens, click the ‘Uninstall a program’ link under Programs category as displayed on the image below.
You will see the ‘Uninstall a program’ panel as shown on the image below.
Very carefully look around the entire list of programs installed on your PC system. Most likely, one of them is the BGSearch browser hijacker. If you have many programs installed, you can help simplify the search of malicious programs by sort the list by date of installation. Once you have found a questionable, unwanted or unused application, right click to it, after that press ‘Uninstall’.
Windows XP, Vista, 7
First, press ‘Start’ button and select ‘Control Panel’ at right panel as displayed on the image below.
Once the Windows ‘Control Panel’ opens, you need to click ‘Uninstall a program’ under ‘Programs’ like below.
You will see a list of applications installed on your computer. We recommend to sort the list by date of installation to quickly find the applications that were installed last. Most likely, it is the BGSearch browser hijacker. If you are in doubt, you can always check the application by doing a search for her name in Google, Yahoo or Bing. After the program which you need to delete is found, simply click on its name, and then click ‘Uninstall’ as on the image below.
Delete BGSearch browser hijacker from Firefox
If the Mozilla Firefox settings such as home page, newtab page and default search provider have been modified by the hijacker, then resetting it to the default state can help. Your saved bookmarks, form auto-fill information and passwords won’t be cleared or changed.
First, run the Firefox and press button. It will display the drop-down menu on the right-part of the web browser. Further, press the Help button () similar to the one below.
In the Help menu, select the “Troubleshooting Information” option. Another way to open the “Troubleshooting Information” screen – type “about:support” in the browser adress bar and press Enter. It will show the “Troubleshooting Information” page as displayed on the image below. In the upper-right corner of this screen, click the “Refresh Firefox” button.
It will display the confirmation prompt. Further, click the “Refresh Firefox” button. The Firefox will begin a procedure to fix your problems that caused by the BGSearch browser hijacker. After, it’s finished, click the “Finish” button.
Get rid of BGSearch hijacker from IE
The Internet Explorer reset is great if your web browser is hijacked or you’ve unwanted extensions or toolbars on your web-browser, that installed by a malicious software.
First, launch the Internet Explorer, then click ‘gear’ icon . It will show the Tools drop-down menu on the right part of the web browser, then click the “Internet Options” like below.
In the “Internet Options” screen, select the “Advanced” tab, then press the “Reset” button. The Internet Explorer will show the “Reset Internet Explorer settings” dialog box. Further, click the “Delete personal settings” check box to select it. Next, click the “Reset” button as on the image below.
After the process is complete, click “Close” button. Close the Microsoft Internet Explorer and restart your personal computer for the changes to take effect. This step will help you to restore your web browser’s default search provider, startpage and newtab page to default state.
Remove BGSearch from Chrome
If you are getting a BGSearch page instead of your home page or search engine, then you can try to remove it by resetting Chrome to its default values. It will also clear cookies, content and site data, temporary and cached data. However, your saved passwords and bookmarks will not be changed, deleted or cleared.
- First launch the Google Chrome and click Menu button (small button in the form of three dots).
- It will open the Google Chrome main menu. Select More Tools, then click Extensions.
- You’ll see the list of installed plugins. If the list has the add-on labeled with “Installed by enterprise policy” or “Installed by your administrator”, then complete the following steps: Remove Chrome extensions installed by enterprise policy.
- Now open the Google Chrome menu once again, press the “Settings” menu.
- You will see the Chrome’s settings page. Scroll down and press “Advanced” link.
- Scroll down again and press the “Reset” button.
- The Chrome will open the reset profile settings page as on the image above.
- Next click the “Reset” button.
- Once this process is finished, your internet browser’s default search provider, startpage and new tab page will be restored to their original defaults.
- To learn more, read the article How to reset Chrome settings to default.
Automatic Removal of BGSearch
Manual removal steps does not always help to delete browser hijacker fully, as it’s not easy to identify and get rid of components of browser hijacker and all malicious files from hard disk. Therefore, it is recommended that you run malicious software removal utility to fully remove BGSearch off your personal computer. Several free malware removal tools are currently available that can be used against the hijacker. The optimum solution would be to run Zemana, MalwareBytes AntiMalware and Hitman Pro.
Run Zemana Anti-Malware to remove BGSearch hijacker
Zemana Anti-Malware is a free utility that performs a scan of your PC system and displays if there are existing adware software, browser hijackers, viruses, worms, spyware, trojans and other malware residing on your device. If malicious software is detected, Zemana AntiMalware can automatically remove it. Zemana AntiMalware doesn’t conflict with other anti malware and antivirus apps installed on your device.
- Zemana can be downloaded from the following link. Save it on your Desktop.
Author: Zemana Ltd
Category: Security tools
Update: July 16, 2019
- At the download page, click on the Download button. Your web-browser will show the “Save as” dialog box. Please save it onto your Windows desktop.
- Once downloading is finished, please close all programs and open windows on your personal computer. Next, run a file named Zemana.AntiMalware.Setup.
- This will open the “Setup wizard” of Zemana onto your computer. Follow the prompts and don’t make any changes to default settings.
- When the Setup wizard has finished installing, the Zemana AntiMalware will launch and show the main window.
- Further, press the “Scan” button to perform a system scan for the BGSearch hijacker. A scan can take anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes, depending on the number of files on your PC system and the speed of your device. During the scan Zemana Anti-Malware will detect threats exist on your computer.
- As the scanning ends, Zemana Anti-Malware will prepare a list of unwanted programs and hijacker.
- Review the results once the utility has complete the system scan. If you think an entry should not be quarantined, then uncheck it. Otherwise, simply click the “Next” button. The utility will start to remove BGSearch browser hijacker. After the task is finished, you may be prompted to reboot the PC.
- Close the Zemana Anti-Malware and continue with the next step.
Run HitmanPro to get rid of BGSearch hijacker
HitmanPro will help remove BGSearch browser hijacker that slow down your computer. The browser hijackers, adware and other PUPs slow your web browser down and try to trick you into clicking on shady ads and links. HitmanPro removes the hijacker and lets you enjoy your device without BGSearch browser hijacker.
- Please go to the following link to download Hitman Pro. Save it on your Windows desktop or in any other place.
Category: Security tools
Update: June 28, 2018
- When the downloading process is done, double click the HitmanPro icon. Once this utility is opened, press “Next” button for checking your computer for the BGSearch hijacker. This process can take some time, so please be patient.
- When Hitman Pro has finished scanning your personal computer, Hitman Pro will display a screen which contains a list of malicious software that has been detected. Review the results once the tool has complete the system scan. If you think an entry should not be quarantined, then uncheck it. Otherwise, simply click “Next” button. Now click the “Activate free license” button to begin the free 30 days trial to get rid of all malicious software found.
Get rid of BGSearch hijacker with MalwareBytes
Get rid of BGSearch hijacker manually is difficult and often the hijacker is not fully removed. Therefore, we suggest you to use the MalwareBytes Anti-Malware that are completely clean your computer. Moreover, this free program will help you to remove malicious software, potentially unwanted applications, toolbars and adware that your computer can be infected too.
- Download MalwareBytes Anti-Malware by clicking on the link below. Save it on your Desktop.
Category: Security tools
Update: April 15, 2020
- Once the download is finished, close all programs and windows on your PC. Open a file location. Double-click on the icon that’s named MBsetup.
- Select “Personal computer” option and click Install button. Follow the prompts.
- Once install is finished, click the “Scan” button to start checking your PC system for the BGSearch hijacker. This procedure may take quite a while, so please be patient. While the MalwareBytes AntiMalware utility is checking, you can see how many objects it has identified as being infected by malicious software.
- Once finished, MalwareBytes AntiMalware will open a screen that contains a list of malware that has been detected. Review the results once the tool has complete the system scan. If you think an entry should not be quarantined, then uncheck it. Otherwise, simply press “Quarantine”. Once disinfection is complete, you can be prompted to restart your computer.
The following video offers a step-by-step tutorial on how to remove browser hijackers, adware and other malicious software with MalwareBytes AntiMalware.
How to stop BGSearch redirect
If you want to delete annoying advertisements, internet browser redirects and popups, then install an ad-blocking program such as AdGuard. It can stop BGSearch redirect, block malicious ads, pop ups and stop web pages from tracking your online activities when using the Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox and MS Edge. So, if you like surf the Net, but you do not like intrusive advertisements and want to protect your PC system from harmful web pages, then the AdGuard is your best choice.
First, visit the following page, then click the ‘Download’ button in order to download the latest version of AdGuard.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: November 15, 2018
After downloading it, run the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” screen similar to the one below.
Follow the prompts. When the installation is complete, you will see a window as shown in the following example.
You can press “Skip” to close the setup program and use the default settings, or press “Get Started” button to see an quick tutorial which will assist you get to know AdGuard better.
In most cases, the default settings are enough and you don’t need to change anything. Each time, when you start your device, AdGuard will start automatically and stop undesired advertisements, block BGSearch redirects, as well as other harmful or misleading web sites. For an overview of all the features of the program, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the AdGuard icon, which can be found on your desktop.
We suggest that you keep AdGuard (to help you block unwanted popups and annoying harmful web-sites) and Zemana Anti-Malware (to periodically scan your device for new browser hijacker and other malware). Probably you are running an older version of Java or Adobe Flash Player. This can be a security risk, so download and install the latest version right now.
If you are still having problems while trying to remove BGSearch browser hijacker from Firefox, Google Chrome, IE and Microsoft Edge, then ask for help here.