What is BackLinks Monitor
BackLinks Monitor is supposed to be a browser extension that will improve the browsing experience, but according to security professionals, this extension acts as adware. Many users consider adware, PUPs, keyloggers, malware as the same thing. They are all forms of malicious software that each behave differently. The word ‘adware’ is a combination of two words ‘ad’ and ‘software’. Adware displays unwanted advertisements on an affected PC. Not very dangerous for computer users, but very profitable for the the adware creators.
Another reason why you need to remove BackLinks Monitor is its online data-tracking activity. This browser extension can analyze the location and which World Wide Web websites you visit, and then present ads to the types of content, goods or services featured there. Its developers can collect and sell your surfing information and behavior to third parties.
So, if you happen to encounter the adware, then be quick and take effort to get rid of it immediately. Follow the tutorial below to remove BackLinks Monitor. Let us know how you managed by sending us your comments please.
How does BackLinks Monitor get on your computer
The most common way to get adware is a freeware installer. Most often, a user have a chance to disable all bundled modules, but some installers are created to confuse the average users, in order to trick them into installing PUPs and adware software. Anyway, easier to prevent adware rather than clean up your computer after one. So, keep your web-browser updated (turn on automatic updates), run good antivirus software, double check free software before you launch it (do a google search, scan a downloaded file with VirusTotal), avoid shady and unknown web-pages.
|Type||adware, potentially unwanted program (PUP), pop-ups, pop-up advertisements, pop-up virus|
|Removal||BackLinks Monitor removal guide|
How to remove BackLinks Monitor from Chrome, Firefox, IE, Edge
To delete BackLinks Monitor from your PC, you must delete all suspicious programs and every component that could be related to the adware software. Besides, to restore your browser home page, new tab page and search provider by default, you should reset the affected browsers. As soon as you are finished with BackLinks Monitor removal process, we suggest you scan your computer with malicious software removal utilities listed below. It’ll complete the removal process on your PC system.
To remove BackLinks Monitor, complete the following steps:
- Manual BackLinks Monitor adware removal
- Automatic Removal of BackLinks Monitor adware software
- How to stay safe online
Manual BackLinks Monitor adware removal
The most common adware software can be removed manually, without the use of antivirus software or other removal utilities. The manual steps below will guide you through how to remove BackLinks Monitor adware software step by step. Although each of the steps is simple and does not require special knowledge, but you are not sure that you can finish them, then use the free tools, a list of which is given below.
Delete unwanted or newly installed software
First, you should try to identify and remove the program that causes the appearance of annoying advertisements or web browser redirect, using the ‘Uninstall a program’ which is located in the ‘Control panel’.
- If you are using Windows 8, 8.1 or 10 then press Windows button, next press Search. Type “Control panel”and press Enter.
- If you are using Windows XP, Vista, 7, then click “Start” button and press “Control Panel”.
- It will open the Windows Control Panel.
- Further, press “Uninstall a program” under Programs category.
- It will display a list of all apps installed on the computer.
- Scroll through the all list, and remove suspicious and unknown apps. To quickly find the latest installed programs, we recommend sort apps by date.
See more details in the video guidance below.
Remove BackLinks Monitor adware from Google Chrome
If your Google Chrome web browser is redirected to intrusive BackLinks Monitor web page, it may be necessary to completely reset your internet browser program to its default settings.
First run the Google Chrome. Next, click the button in the form of three horizontal dots ().
It will show the Chrome menu. Select More Tools, then click Extensions. Carefully browse through the list of installed extensions. If the list has the add-on signed with “Installed by enterprise policy” or “Installed by your administrator”, then complete the following instructions: Remove Chrome extensions installed by enterprise policy.
Open the Google Chrome menu once again. Further, click the option called “Settings”.
The browser will show the settings screen. Another method to display the Chrome’s settings – type chrome://settings in the web-browser adress bar and press Enter
Scroll down to the bottom of the page and press the “Advanced” link. Now scroll down until the “Reset” section is visible, as displayed on the screen below and click the “Reset settings to their original defaults” button.
The Google Chrome will show the confirmation dialog box as displayed on the screen below.
You need to confirm your action, click the “Reset” button. The web browser will launch the task of cleaning. Once it is complete, the browser’s settings including newtab, default search provider and home page back to the values that have been when the Chrome was first installed on your PC.
Get rid of BackLinks Monitor from Mozilla Firefox by resetting web-browser settings
Resetting Mozilla Firefox web-browser will reset all the settings to their original settings and will remove BackLinks Monitor adware, malicious add-ons and extensions. It will keep your personal information like browsing history, bookmarks, passwords and web form auto-fill data.
Start the Firefox and click the menu button (it looks like three stacked lines) at the top right of the web browser screen. Next, press the question-mark icon at the bottom of the drop-down menu. It will open the slide-out menu.
Select the “Troubleshooting information”. If you’re unable to access the Help menu, then type “about:support” in your address bar and press Enter. It bring up the “Troubleshooting Information” page as displayed on the screen below.
Click the “Refresh Firefox” button at the top right of the Troubleshooting Information page. Select “Refresh Firefox” in the confirmation dialog box. The Mozilla Firefox will start a process to fix your problems that caused by the BackLinks Monitor adware software. After, it is complete, click the “Finish” button.
Remove BackLinks Monitor adware software from Internet Explorer
By resetting Internet Explorer internet browser you restore your web browser settings to its default state. This is basic when troubleshooting problems that might have been caused by BackLinks Monitor adware.
First, start the IE. Next, press the button in the form of gear (). It will show the Tools drop-down menu, press the “Internet Options” like below.
In the “Internet Options” window click on the Advanced tab, then click the Reset button. The Internet Explorer will show the “Reset Internet Explorer settings” window as displayed in the figure below. Select the “Delete personal settings” check box, then press “Reset” button.
You will now need to reboot your computer for the changes to take effect.
Automatic Removal of BackLinks Monitor adware software
Using a malware removal utility to locate and remove adware hiding on your PC system is probably the easiest way to delete the BackLinks Monitor adware software. We suggests the Zemana program for MS Windows personal computers. HitmanPro and MalwareBytes Anti-Malware are other anti malware utilities for Microsoft Windows that offers a free malware removal.
How to delete BackLinks Monitor adware with Zemana AntiMalware (ZAM)
Zemana is a lightweight tool which created to run alongside your antivirus software, detecting and deleting malicious software, adware and PUPs that other programs miss. Zemana Free is easy to use, fast, does not use many resources and have great detection and removal rates.
- Click the link below to download Zemana AntiMalware (ZAM). Save it to your Desktop.
Author: Zemana Ltd
Category: Security tools
Update: July 16, 2019
- Once you have downloaded the installation file, make sure to double click on the Zemana.AntiMalware.Setup. This would start the Zemana Anti Malware installation on your computer.
- Select installation language and click ‘OK’ button.
- On the next screen ‘Setup Wizard’ simply press the ‘Next’ button and follow the prompts.
- Finally, once the setup is finished, Zemana Free will open automatically. Else, if doesn’t then double-click on the Zemana Free icon on your desktop.
- Now that you have successfully install Zemana Anti Malware (ZAM), let’s see How to use Zemana AntiMalware to get rid of BackLinks Monitor adware from your computer.
- After you have launched the Zemana Anti-Malware (ZAM), you will see a window like below, just press ‘Scan’ button to perform a system scan with this tool for the adware.
- Now pay attention to the screen while Zemana scans your PC system.
- After Zemana has finished scanning your computer, Zemana will create a list of unwanted apps and adware software. Once you have selected what you want to delete from your PC system press ‘Next’ button.
- Zemana AntiMalware (ZAM) may require a restart PC system in order to complete the BackLinks Monitor removal process.
- If you want to permanently delete adware from your PC, then click ‘Quarantine’ icon, select all malicious software, adware software, PUPs and other items and click Delete.
- Reboot your PC system to complete the adware removal procedure.
Remove BackLinks Monitor from web-browsers with HitmanPro
HitmanPro is a free removal tool. It removes potentially unwanted applications, adware, hijackers and undesired internet browser plugins. It will look for and get rid of BackLinks Monitor adware. HitmanPro uses very small PC resources and is a portable program. Moreover, HitmanPro does add another layer of malware protection.
- Download HitmanPro on your computer from the link below.
Category: Security tools
Update: June 28, 2018
- After the download is finished, double click the Hitman Pro icon. Once this tool is launched, click “Next” button to start checking your personal computer for the BackLinks Monitor adware. This procedure may take quite a while, so please be patient. While the HitmanPro application is checking, you can see how many objects it has identified as threat.
- When the system scan is complete, a list of all threats detected is created. Next, you need to press “Next” button. Now click the “Activate free license” button to start the free 30 days trial to remove all malware found.
Run MalwareBytes Anti-Malware to remove BackLinks Monitor adware
Delete BackLinks Monitor adware manually is difficult and often the adware is not completely removed. Therefore, we suggest you to run the MalwareBytes that are fully clean your personal computer. Moreover, this free program will help you to remove malware, PUPs, toolbars and browser hijackers that your personal computer may be infected too.
- Click the link below to download MalwareBytes Free. Save it directly to your MS Windows Desktop.
Category: Security tools
Update: April 15, 2020
- At the download page, click on the Download button. Your internet browser will open the “Save as” prompt. Please save it onto your Windows desktop.
- When downloading is complete, please close all programs and open windows on your PC. Double-click on the icon that’s named MBSetup.
- This will run the Setup wizard of MalwareBytes AntiMalware (MBAM) onto your computer. Follow the prompts and don’t make any changes to default settings.
- When the Setup wizard has finished installing, the MalwareBytes Anti-Malware will start and display the main window.
- Further, click the “Scan” button to perform a system scan with this tool for the BackLinks Monitor . While the MalwareBytes AntiMalware (MBAM) is scanning, you may see how many objects it has identified either as being malware.
- As the scanning ends, you can check all threats detected on your PC.
- Make sure all threats have ‘checkmark’ and click the “Quarantine” button. Once that process is done, you may be prompted to reboot the computer.
- Close the Anti-Malware and continue with the next step.
Video instruction, which reveals in detail the steps above.
How to stay safe online
We advise to install an ad blocking program. The ad-blocker tool such as AdGuard is a application which basically removes advertising from the Net and stops access to malicious web-pages. Moreover, security experts says that using ad blocking applications is necessary to stay safe when surfing the Internet.
- Please go to the following link to download the latest version of AdGuard for Microsoft Windows. Save it on your Windows desktop.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: November 15, 2018
- After downloading is done, launch the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” program window. Follow the prompts.
- Once the install is done, press “Skip” to close the installation program and use the default settings, or press “Get Started” to see an quick tutorial which will help you get to know AdGuard better.
- In most cases, the default settings are enough and you do not need to change anything. Each time, when you launch your computer, AdGuard will run automatically and stop unwanted ads, block BackLinks Monitor, as well as other malicious or misleading websites. For an overview of all the features of the application, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the icon named AdGuard, that is located on your desktop.
To sum up
Once you have removed the adware software using this few simple steps, Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Firefox and Internet Explorer will no longer redirect you to various intrusive web-pages such as BackLinks Monitor. Unfortunately, if the step-by-step tutorial does not help you, then you have caught a new adware software, and then the best way – ask for help here.