What is Contentgate.xyz?
Contentgate.xyz is a web-site that is designed to trick computer users into allowing push notifications from malicious (ad) push servers. Push notifications are originally created to alert users of newly published content. Scammers abuse ‘browser notification feature’ to avoid anti-virus and ad-blocking programs by displaying intrusive ads. These ads are displayed in the lower right corner of the screen urges users to play online games, visit questionable web-pages, install browser extensions & so on.
The Contentgate.xyz web site asks you to press on the ‘Allow’ in order to to watch a video, access the content of the webpage, enable Flash Player, connect to the Internet, download a file, and so on. If you click on the ‘Allow’ button, this web site gets your permission to send push notifications in form of pop up adverts in the right bottom corner of your desktop.
|Type||browser notification spam, spam push notifications, pop-up virus|
|Distribution||PUPs, social engineering attack, dubious popup advertisements, adware|
|Removal||Contentgate.xyz removal guide|
Where the Contentgate.xyz pop-ups comes from
These Contentgate.xyz pop ups are caused by malicious advertisements on the web-pages you visit or adware. Adware is type of software that is designed to add advertising into your Internet browsing or even desktop experience. Adware software can be designed to modify your homepage, search provider, search results, or even add toolbars to your browser. Adware run in the background when you are online, and adware can slow down your computer and affect its performance.
These days some free applications makers bundle potentially unwanted software or adware with a view to making some money. So whenever you install a new free programs that downloaded from the Net, be very careful during installation. Carefully read the EULA (a text with I ACCEPT/I DECLINE button), choose custom or manual install type, uncheck all third-party programs.
Remove Contentgate.xyz notifications from browsers
If you’re in situation where you don’t want to see browser notifications from the Contentgate.xyz webpage. In this case, you can turn off web notifications for your browser in Windows/Mac OS/Android. Find your web-browser in the list below, follow guide to get rid of web browser permissions to show push notifications.
- In the right upper corner of the Google Chrome window, expand the Google Chrome menu.
- Select ‘Settings’. Then, scroll down to the bottom where it says ‘Advanced’.
- At the ‘Privacy and Security’ section click ‘Site settings’.
- Click on ‘Notifications’.
- Click ‘three dots’ button on the right hand side of Contentgate.xyz URL or other dubious URL and click ‘Remove’.
- Open Chrome.
- In the top-right corner, find and tap the Chrome menu (three dots).
- In the menu tap ‘Settings’, scroll down to ‘Advanced’.
- Tap on ‘Site settings’ and then ‘Notifications’. In the opened window, locate the Contentgate.xyz site, other dubious URLs and tap on them one-by-one.
- Tap the ‘Clean & Reset’ button and confirm.
- In the top-right corner of the screen, click the Menu button, represented by three bars.
- In the menu go to ‘Options’, in the menu on the left go to ‘Privacy & Security’.
- Scroll down to the ‘Permissions’ section and click the ‘Settings’ button next to ‘Notifications’.
- Find sites you down’t want to see notifications from (for example, Contentgate.xyz), click on drop-down menu next to each and select ‘Block’.
- Save changes.
- Click the More button (it looks like three dots) in the top right hand corner of the Edge.
- Click ‘Settings’. Click ‘Advanced’ on the left side of the window.
- Click ‘Manage permissions’ button, located beneath ‘Website permissions’.
- Disable the on switch for the Contentgate.xyz.
- Click ‘Tools’ button in the top-right corner of the screen.
- When the drop-down menu appears, click on ‘Internet Options’.
- Select the ‘Privacy’ tab and click ‘Settings below ‘Pop-up Blocker’ section.
- Find the Contentgate.xyz site and click the ‘Remove’ button to delete the site.
- Click ‘Safari’ button on the left upper corner of the screen and select ‘Preferences’.
- Select the ‘Websites’ tab and then select ‘Notifications’ section on the left panel.
- Find the Contentgate.xyz and select it, click the ‘Deny’ button.
How to remove Contentgate.xyz pop-up ads from Chrome, Firefox, IE, Edge
We can help you get rid of Contentgate.xyz from your internet browsers, without the need to take your personal computer to a professional. Simply follow the removal tutorial below if you currently have the unwanted adware on your computer and want to remove it. If you’ve any difficulty while trying to remove the adware software that causes Contentgate.xyz pop-ups in your web browser, feel free to ask for our help in the comment section below. Certain of the steps below will require you to close this web page. So, please read the few simple steps carefully, after that bookmark it or open it on your smartphone for later reference.
To remove Contentgate.xyz pop ups, perform the following steps:
- Remove Contentgate.xyz notifications from browsers
- How to manually remove Contentgate.xyz
- Automatic Removal of Contentgate.xyz pop-ups
- Stop Contentgate.xyz pop-ups
How to manually remove Contentgate.xyz
In most cases, it is possible to manually delete Contentgate.xyz pop-ups. This method does not involve the use of any tricks or removal utilities. You just need to recover the normal settings of the device and browser. This can be done by following a few simple steps below. If you want to quickly delete Contentgate.xyz popup ads, as well as perform a full scan of your PC system, we recommend that you run adware software removal utilities, which are listed below.
Remove adware software through the MS Windows Control Panel
First method for manual adware removal is to go into the Microsoft Windows “Control Panel”, then “Uninstall a program” console. Take a look at the list of applications on your PC and see if there are any questionable and unknown programs. If you see any, you need to uninstall them. Of course, before doing so, you can do an Web search to find details on the program. If it is a potentially unwanted application, adware software or malicious software, you will likely find information that says so.
Windows 8, 8.1, 10
First, click the Windows button , then press Search . Type “Control panel”and press Enter.
Windows XP, Vista, 7
First, click “Start” and select “Control Panel”.
It will display the Windows Control Panel as shown on the screen below.
Next, press “Uninstall a program”
It will show a list of all apps installed on your personal computer. Scroll through the all list, and uninstall any dubious and unknown applications. To quickly find the latest installed software, we recommend sort programs by date in the Control panel.
Remove Contentgate.xyz pop-up advertisements from Google Chrome
Reset Google Chrome settings will help you to completely reset your internet browser. The result of activating this function will bring Google Chrome settings back to its original settings. This can delete Contentgate.xyz pop-ups and disable harmful extensions. It’ll keep your personal information like browsing history, bookmarks, passwords and web form auto-fill data.
- First, start the Chrome and click the Menu icon (icon in the form of three dots).
- It will display the Google Chrome main menu. Choose More Tools, then click Extensions.
- You’ll see the list of installed add-ons. If the list has the extension labeled with “Installed by enterprise policy” or “Installed by your administrator”, then complete the following instructions: Remove Chrome extensions installed by enterprise policy.
- Now open the Google Chrome menu once again, press the “Settings” menu.
- Next, press “Advanced” link, which located at the bottom of the Settings page.
- On the bottom of the “Advanced settings” page, click the “Reset settings to their original defaults” button.
- The Chrome will display the reset settings dialog box as shown on the screen above.
- Confirm the web browser’s reset by clicking on the “Reset” button.
- To learn more, read the blog post How to reset Google Chrome settings to default.
Remove Contentgate.xyz popups from Firefox
This step will help you remove Contentgate.xyz pop ups, third-party toolbars, disable malicious extensions and return your default start page, newtab and search engine settings.
First, run the Mozilla Firefox and click button. It will show the drop-down menu on the right-part of the browser. Further, press the Help button () as shown on the image below.
In the Help menu, select the “Troubleshooting Information” option. Another way to open the “Troubleshooting Information” screen – type “about:support” in the web browser adress bar and press Enter. It will show the “Troubleshooting Information” page like below. In the upper-right corner of this screen, click the “Refresh Firefox” button.
It will open the confirmation dialog box. Further, click the “Refresh Firefox” button. The Firefox will start a process to fix your problems that caused by the Contentgate.xyz adware. Once, it is complete, press the “Finish” button.
Delete Contentgate.xyz pop up ads from IE
In order to restore all internet browser new tab, default search engine and homepage you need to reset the IE to the state, that was when the MS Windows was installed on your PC system.
First, start the IE. Next, press the button in the form of gear (). It will show the Tools drop-down menu, click the “Internet Options” as on the image below.
In the “Internet Options” window click on the Advanced tab, then click the Reset button. The Internet Explorer will show the “Reset Internet Explorer settings” window like below. Select the “Delete personal settings” check box, then click “Reset” button.
You will now need to reboot your PC system for the changes to take effect.
Automatic Removal of Contentgate.xyz pop-ups
The simplest method to delete Contentgate.xyz advertisements is to use an antimalware application capable of detecting adware. We suggest try Zemana or another free malicious software remover which listed below. It has excellent detection rate when it comes to adware, hijackers and other PUPs.
How to remove Contentgate.xyz ads with Zemana Free
If you need a free utility that can easily remove Contentgate.xyz pop-up ads, then use Zemana Anti Malware (ZAM). This is a very handy application, which is primarily created to quickly find and remove adware software and malware hijacking browsers and changing their settings.
Now you can set up and run Zemana Anti Malware to delete Contentgate.xyz ads from your browser by following the steps below:
Please go to the link below to download Zemana setup file named Zemana.AntiMalware.Setup on your PC system. Save it to your Desktop so that you can access the file easily.
Author: Zemana Ltd
Category: Security tools
Update: July 16, 2019
Start the setup package after it has been downloaded successfully and then follow the prompts to install this tool on your PC.
During installation you can change certain settings, but we advise you don’t make any changes to default settings.
When installation is done, this malicious software removal utility will automatically launch and update itself. You will see its main window as shown on the screen below.
Now click the “Scan” button to perform a system scan for the adware software which causes the intrusive Contentgate.xyz advertisements. This procedure can take some time, so please be patient.
When Zemana Free has finished scanning, Zemana will show a screen which contains a list of malicious software that has been detected. Review the report and then press “Next” button.
The Zemana Free will remove adware that causes Contentgate.xyz pop up ads in your internet browser and move the selected threats to the program’s quarantine. After the process is complete, you may be prompted to restart your personal computer to make the change take effect.
Get rid of Contentgate.xyz pop-up advertisements and harmful extensions with Hitman Pro
HitmanPro is a free removal utility. It removes potentially unwanted software, adware, browser hijackers and unwanted browser extensions. It’ll look for and delete adware that causes Contentgate.xyz advertisements in your web-browser. Hitman Pro uses very small device resources and is a portable program. Moreover, Hitman Pro does add another layer of malware protection.
- Download HitmanPro from the following link.
Category: Security tools
Update: June 28, 2018
- When the download is done, double click the HitmanPro icon. Once this utility is started, click “Next” button to perform a system scan with this tool for the adware related to the Contentgate.xyz ads. Depending on your personal computer, the scan may take anywhere from a few minutes to close to an hour. During the scan HitmanPro will detect threats present on your PC.
- When finished, the results are displayed in the scan report. Once you’ve selected what you wish to remove from your personal computer click “Next” button. Now press the “Activate free license” button to start the free 30 days trial to remove all malware found.
How to get rid of Contentgate.xyz with MalwareBytes AntiMalware (MBAM)
If you are still having problems with the Contentgate.xyz advertisements — or just wish to check your computer occasionally for adware software and other malicious software — download MalwareBytes Anti-Malware. It’s free for home use, and finds and removes various undesired applications that attacks your device or degrades PC performance. MalwareBytes Anti-Malware can remove adware, PUPs as well as malware, including ransomware and trojans.
- Installing the MalwareBytes Anti Malware (MBAM) is simple. First you will need to download MalwareBytes by clicking on the link below. Save it on your Microsoft Windows desktop.
Category: Security tools
Update: April 15, 2020
- After the downloading process is complete, close all software and windows on your PC system. Open a file location. Double-click on the icon that’s named MBsetup.
- Select “Personal computer” option and click Install button. Follow the prompts.
- Once installation is done, press the “Scan” button to scan for adware software that causes Contentgate.xyz advertisements in your web browser. A scan may take anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes, depending on the number of files on your computer and the speed of your PC system. While the MalwareBytes Anti Malware (MBAM) utility is checking, you may see number of objects it has identified as being affected by malicious software.
- After the system scan is finished, MalwareBytes Anti-Malware will prepare a list of unwanted applications and adware software. Review the report and then click “Quarantine”. Once finished, you may be prompted to reboot your personal computer.
The following video offers a guidance on how to delete browser hijackers, adware and other malware with MalwareBytes AntiMalware.
Stop Contentgate.xyz pop-ups
By installing an ad-blocker program such as AdGuard, you are able to stop Contentgate.xyz, autoplaying video ads and delete tons of distracting and unwanted ads on web pages.
- Please go to the following link to download the latest version of AdGuard for Microsoft Windows. Save it to your Desktop.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: November 15, 2018
- After downloading it, launch the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” program window. Follow the prompts.
- After the installation is finished, press “Skip” to close the installation program and use the default settings, or click “Get Started” to see an quick tutorial that will assist you get to know AdGuard better.
- In most cases, the default settings are enough and you don’t need to change anything. Each time, when you start your device, AdGuard will start automatically and stop undesired ads, block Contentgate.xyz, as well as other harmful or misleading web pages. For an overview of all the features of the program, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the icon called AdGuard, which is located on your desktop.
Now your computer should be free of the adware responsible for Contentgate.xyz popup ads. We suggest that you keep Zemana Anti-Malware (to periodically scan your computer for new adware softwares and other malware) and AdGuard (to help you stop annoying pop up ads and harmful web-pages). Moreover, to prevent any adware, please stay clear of unknown and third party programs, make sure that your antivirus application, turn on the option to detect PUPs.
If you need more help with Contentgate.xyz ads related issues, go to here.