What is BookLot
BookLot is supposed to be a program that will allow users to search for information on Wikipedia, but in reality this program behaves like adware. Adware is ‘advertising supported’ software that tries to generate revenue by redirecting you to unwanted web-pages or online ads. It has different ways of earning revenue including showing up ads on the browser forcefully. Most of adware gets installed when you’re downloading free programs or browser addons.
Adware can open pop-ups, show unwanted advertisements, alter web-browser settings, or redirect the user’s browser to unwanted web pages. Aside from causing unwanted ads and web-browser redirects, it also can slow down the computer. Another reason why you need to remove BookLot is its online data-tracking activity. Adware can collect lots of marketing-type data about you such as what websites you are opening, what you are looking for the World Wide Web and so on. This personal data, afterwards, may be sold to third parties.
If you would like to delete BookLot and clean your internet browser of intrusive ads and are unable to do so, you can follow the instructions below to scan for and remove adware and any other malware for free.
How does BookLot get on your computer
|Type||adware, potentially unwanted application (PUA), popup virus, popup ads, popups|
|Removal||BookLot removal guide|
How to remove BookLot adware from Chrome, Firefox, IE, Edge
There are a few ways which can be used to delete BookLot adware. But, not all PUPs like this adware can be completely removed utilizing only manual solutions. In many cases you are not able to delete any adware using standard Microsoft Windows options. In order to remove adware you need complete a few manual steps and use reliable removal utilities. Most computer security experts states that Zemana Free, MalwareBytes Free or HitmanPro tools are a right choice. These free programs are able to find and get rid of BookLot ads from your PC and return your internet browser settings to defaults.
To remove BookLot, follow the steps below:
- How to get rid of BookLot adware without any software
- Automatic Removal of BookLot adware
- How to stay safe online
How to get rid of BookLot adware without any software
Looking for a solution to delete BookLot manually without installing any utilities? Then this section of the article is just for you. Below are some simple steps you can take. Performing these steps requires basic knowledge of web-browser and Microsoft Windows setup. If you are not sure that you can follow them, it is better to use free apps listed below that can help you remove adware software.
Remove PUPs using MS Windows Control Panel
One of the first things to attempt for removal of adware is to check your PC system installed programs screen and look for unwanted and questionable programs. If there are any software you do not recognize or are no longer using, you should remove them. If that doesn’t work, then you may need to run adware removal tool like Zemana.
Windows 8, 8.1, 10
First, press Windows button , then click Search . Type ‘Control panel’and press Enter as displayed in the figure below.
Once the ‘Control Panel’ opens, press the ‘Uninstall a program’ link under Programs category as shown in the following example.
You will see the ‘Uninstall a program’ panel as shown in the figure below.
Very carefully look around the entire list of programs installed on your computer. Most probably, one of them is the BookLot adware. If you’ve many applications installed, you can help simplify the search of harmful apps by sort the list by date of installation. Once you’ve found a suspicious, unwanted or unused program, right click to it, after that click ‘Uninstall’.
Windows XP, Vista, 7
First, click ‘Start’ button and select ‘Control Panel’ at right panel as shown below.
Once the Windows ‘Control Panel’ opens, you need to click ‘Uninstall a program’ under ‘Programs’ as displayed in the figure below.
You will see a list of applications installed on your personal computer. We recommend to sort the list by date of installation to quickly find the applications that were installed last. Most likely, it is the BookLot adware. If you’re in doubt, you can always check the application by doing a search for her name in Google, Yahoo or Bing. Once the program which you need to delete is found, simply click on its name, and then click ‘Uninstall’ as displayed on the image below.
Remove BookLot adware from Chrome
If you are getting BookLot ads, then you can try to remove it by resetting Chrome to its default state. It will also clear cookies, content and site data, temporary and cached data. It will save your personal information like saved passwords, bookmarks, auto-fill data and open tabs.
Open the Google Chrome menu by clicking on the button in the form of three horizontal dotes (). It will show the drop-down menu. Select More Tools, then press Extensions.
Carefully browse through the list of installed extensions. If the list has the extension labeled with “Installed by enterprise policy” or “Installed by your administrator”, then complete the following instructions: Remove Google Chrome extensions installed by enterprise policy otherwise, just go to the step below.
Open the Chrome main menu again, click to “Settings” option.
Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the “Advanced” link. Now scroll down until the Reset settings section is visible, as displayed in the figure below and press the “Reset settings to their original defaults” button.
Confirm your action, click the “Reset” button.
Get rid of BookLot from Firefox by resetting web browser settings
This step will allow you delete BookLot ads, third-party toolbars, disable malicious extensions and return your default start page, newtab page and search provider settings.
Launch the Firefox and press the menu button (it looks like three stacked lines) at the top right of the browser screen. Next, click the question-mark icon at the bottom of the drop-down menu. It will show the slide-out menu.
Select the “Troubleshooting information”. If you are unable to access the Help menu, then type “about:support” in your address bar and press Enter. It bring up the “Troubleshooting Information” page similar to the one below.
Click the “Refresh Firefox” button at the top right of the Troubleshooting Information page. Select “Refresh Firefox” in the confirmation prompt. The Mozilla Firefox will start a task to fix your problems that caused by the BookLot adware. Once, it’s finished, press the “Finish” button.
Remove BookLot from IE
By resetting IE internet browser you revert back your web browser settings to its default state. This is basic when troubleshooting problems that might have been caused by the BookLot adware.
First, launch the Microsoft Internet Explorer, then click ‘gear’ icon . It will show the Tools drop-down menu on the right part of the internet browser, then press the “Internet Options” like below.
In the “Internet Options” screen, select the “Advanced” tab, then click the “Reset” button. The IE will display the “Reset Internet Explorer settings” prompt. Further, press the “Delete personal settings” check box to select it. Next, press the “Reset” button as shown in the figure below.
After the process is done, press “Close” button. Close the IE and reboot your PC for the changes to take effect. This step will help you to restore your web-browser’s newtab page, search provider by default and startpage to default state.
Automatic Removal of BookLot adware software
Using a malware removal tool to search for and delete adware hiding on your PC is probably the easiest method to remove the BookLot adware software. We advises the Zemana Free program for MS Windows devices. HitmanPro and MalwareBytes are other antimalware tools for Windows that offers a free malicious software removal.
Remove BookLot adware software with Zemana Free
Zemana Anti Malware (ZAM) is a complete package of antimalware utilities. Despite so many features, it does not reduce the performance of your personal computer. Zemana AntiMalware (ZAM) has the ability to remove almost all the forms of adware software including BookLot adware, browser hijackers, PUPs and harmful web-browser extensions. Zemana Anti Malware (ZAM) has real-time protection that can defeat most malicious software. You can use Zemana Anti Malware with any other antivirus software without any conflicts.
- Installing the Zemana Anti-Malware (ZAM) is simple. First you will need to download Zemana Anti Malware by clicking on the following link. Save it on your MS Windows desktop.
Author: Zemana Ltd
Category: Security tools
Update: July 16, 2019
- At the download page, click on the Download button. Your web-browser will show the “Save as” dialog box. Please save it onto your Windows desktop.
- After the download is complete, please close all apps and open windows on your computer. Next, run a file named Zemana.AntiMalware.Setup.
- This will start the “Setup wizard” of Zemana onto your computer. Follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
- When the Setup wizard has finished installing, the Zemana Free will start and show the main window.
- Further, click the “Scan” button to perform a system scan for the BookLot adware. Depending on your personal computer, the scan may take anywhere from a few minutes to close to an hour. While the Zemana Anti-Malware (ZAM) application is checking, you can see how many objects it has identified as threat.
- When finished, the results are displayed in the scan report.
- Review the results once the utility has complete the system scan. If you think an entry should not be quarantined, then uncheck it. Otherwise, simply press the “Next” button. The tool will begin to remove BookLot adware. After the clean up is done, you may be prompted to reboot the device.
- Close the Zemana Anti Malware (ZAM) and continue with the next step.
Delete BookLot adware and malicious extensions with Hitman Pro
Hitman Pro is a completely free (30 day trial) utility. You do not need expensive solutions to delete BookLot adware and other unwanted applications. HitmanPro will delete all the undesired software like adware software and hijackers at zero cost.
- Download Hitman Pro by clicking on the following link. Save it on your Desktop.
Category: Security tools
Update: June 28, 2018
- Once the downloading process is done, double click the HitmanPro icon. Once this tool is opened, press “Next” button to perform a system scan with this utility for the BookLot adware. This task can take quite a while, so please be patient. When a malware, adware or PUPs are found, the number of the security threats will change accordingly. Wait until the the checking is complete.
- When that process is done, you may check all items detected on your device. Make sure to check mark the items which are unsafe and then press “Next” button. Now click the “Activate free license” button to start the free 30 days trial to remove all malicious software found.
Use MalwareBytes to remove BookLot adware software
Remove BookLot manually is difficult and often the adware is not fully removed. Therefore, we suggest you to run the MalwareBytes Anti Malware that are completely clean your personal computer. Moreover, this free program will allow you to delete malware, PUPs, toolbars and hijackers that your device may be infected too.
Download MalwareBytes Anti Malware (MBAM) from the link below. Save it to your Desktop so that you can access the file easily.
Category: Security tools
Update: April 15, 2020
When downloading is complete, close all programs and windows on your personal computer. Double-click the install file named MBSetup. If the “User Account Control” dialog box pops up as displayed on the screen below, click the “Yes” button.
It will open the Setup wizard which will help you install MalwareBytes Free on your PC system. Follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
Once installation is finished successfully, press “Get Started” button. MalwareBytes will automatically start and you can see its main screen similar to the one below.
Now click the “Scan” button for checking your PC for the BookLot adware. When a threat is detected, the number of the security threats will change accordingly. Wait until the the scanning is done.
After that process is done, MalwareBytes Anti-Malware will open a list of found threats. Review the report and then click “Quarantine” button. The MalwareBytes Anti Malware (MBAM) will get rid of BookLot adware and move the selected items to the program’s quarantine. Once disinfection is complete, you may be prompted to restart the computer.
We advise you look at the following video, which completely explains the process of using the MalwareBytes Anti Malware (MBAM) to remove adware software, hijacker and other malware.
How to stay safe online
By installing an adblocker program like AdGuard, you are able to block malicious web-pages, stop autoplaying video ads and delete tons of distracting and annoying ads on web-pages.
- Visit the following page to download AdGuard. Save it to your Desktop.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: November 15, 2018
- After downloading it, launch the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” program window. Follow the prompts.
- Once the install is done, press “Skip” to close the install application and use the default settings, or click “Get Started” to see an quick tutorial which will allow you get to know AdGuard better.
- In most cases, the default settings are enough and you do not need to change anything. Each time, when you launch your computer, AdGuard will start automatically and stop unwanted ads, block malicious and misleading web sites. For an overview of all the features of the program, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the icon named AdGuard, which is located on your desktop.
Now your computer should be free of the BookLot adware. We suggest that you keep Zemana Anti-Malware (to periodically scan your PC system for new adwares and other malware) and AdGuard (to help you block unwanted pop-up advertisements and harmful web pages). Moreover, to prevent any adware software, please stay clear of unknown and third party apps, make sure that your antivirus program, turn on the option to search for potentially unwanted applications.
If you need more help with BookLot related issues, go to here.