According to security researchers, SearchToolHelper is a potentially unwanted program (PUP) that belongs to the Adware category. Adware is unwanted software designed to throw ads up on your web browser screen. Adware software generates money for its creator by automatically showing lots of advertisements and popup deals. You might experience a change in your start page or search provider, new tabs opening or even a redirect to malicious web-pages.
Even worse, the SearchToolHelper adware can collect your Net browsing activity by recording URLs visited, IP addresses, web browser version and type, cookie information, Internet Service Provider (ISP) and web pages visited. Such kind of behavior can lead to serious security problems or privacy information theft. This is another reason why the SearchToolHelper should be deleted immediately.
To find out how to remove SearchToolHelper , we suggest to follow the few simple steps below. The guide was designed by experienced security professionals who discovered a method to remove the adware out of the MAC OS.
|Name||SearchToolHelper, Search Tool Helper 1.0 app|
|Type||adware software, potentially unwanted application (PUA), pop-up virus, pop-up advertisements, popups|
|Removal||SearchToolHelper removal guide|
How does SearchToolHelper get on your computer
How to Remove SearchToolHelper adware (removal instructions)
As with deleting adware, malware or PUPs, there are few steps you can do. We recommend trying them all. If you do only one part of the instructions, then it should be use malicious software removal utility, because it should get rid of adware software and stop any further infection. But to completely remove SearchToolHelper adware you will have to at least reset your web browser settings to default state, delete all unwanted and suspicious applications, and scan your Mac with malware removal utilities. Read it once, after doing so, please bookmark this page (or open it on your smartphone) as you may need to exit your web browser or restart your Apple Mac.
To remove SearchToolHelper, use the steps below:
- How to manually remove SearchToolHelper
- Automatic Removal of SearchToolHelper adware software
- How to stay safe online
- To sum up
How to manually remove SearchToolHelper
First try to delete SearchToolHelper adware software manually; to do this, follow the steps below. Of course, manual removal of adware requires more time and may not be suitable for those who are poorly versed in computer settings. In this case, we recommend that you scroll down to the section that describes how to get rid of SearchToolHelper using free tools.
Uninstall potentially unwanted programs through the Finder
Some of potentially unwanted apps, adware and browser hijacker infections can be removed using the ‘Move to Trash’ utility that is located in the Finder. So, if you’re using any version of Apple Mac and you have noticed an unwanted program, then first try to get rid of it through the Finder.
- Open the Finder.
- Click “Applications”.
- It will open a list of all programs installed on the MAC system.
- Scroll through the all list, and delete dubious and unknown programs. Pay maximum attention to the application you installed last.
- Drag the questionable program from the Applications folder to the Trash.
- Empty Trash.
Remove SearchToolHelper adware software from Firefox
The Firefox reset will remove SearchToolHelper ads, modified preferences, extensions and security settings. However, your saved bookmarks and passwords will not be lost. This will not affect your history, passwords, bookmarks, and other saved data.
Click the Menu button (looks like three horizontal lines), and click the blue Help icon located at the bottom of the drop down menu as on the image below.
A small menu will appear, click the “Troubleshooting Information”. On this page, press “Refresh Firefox” button as shown on the image below.
Follow the onscreen procedure to restore your Firefox browser settings to their default state.
Remove SearchToolHelper adware software from Google Chrome
This step will show you how to reset Chrome browser settings to default values. This can delete SearchToolHelper ads and fix some browsing problems, especially after adware infection. However, your saved bookmarks and passwords will not be lost. This will not affect your history, passwords, bookmarks, and other saved data.
- First, start the Chrome and click the Menu icon (icon in the form of three dots).
- It will display the Google Chrome main menu. Choose More Tools, then click Extensions.
- You will see the list of installed add-ons. If the list has the addon labeled with “Installed by enterprise policy” or “Installed by your administrator”, then complete the following guide: Remove Chrome extensions installed by enterprise policy.
- Now open the Chrome menu once again, click the “Settings” menu.
- Next, press “Advanced” link, which located at the bottom of the Settings page.
- On the bottom of the “Advanced settings” page, click the “Reset settings to their original defaults” button.
- The Chrome will open the reset settings dialog box as shown on the screen above.
- Confirm the browser’s reset by clicking on the “Reset” button.
- To learn more, read the post How to reset Chrome settings to default.
Get rid of SearchToolHelper from Safari
If you find that Safari web-browser settings like startpage, new tab page and default search provider having been changed by SearchToolHelper, then you may return your settings, via the reset internet browser procedure.
Run Safari web-browser. Next, choose Preferences from the Safari menu.
First, click the “Security” icon. Here, select “Block pop-up windows”. It will stop some types of pop-ups.
Now, click the “Extensions” tab. Look for dubious extensions on left panel, select it, then click the “Uninstall” button. Most important to get rid of all dubious add-ons from Safari.
Once complete, check your home page and search engine settings. Click “General” tab. Make sure that the “Homepage” field contains the website you want or is empty.
Make sure that the “Search engine” setting shows your preferred search engine. In some versions of Safari, this setting is in the “Search” tab.
Automatic Removal of SearchToolHelper adware software
Spyware, adware, PUPs and browser hijackers can be difficult to get rid of manually. Do not try to remove this software without the aid of malicious software removal tools. In order to completely remove adware from your MAC system, use professionally created utility like MalwareBytes AntiMalware (MBAM).
Run MalwareBytes to delete SearchToolHelper
Remove SearchToolHelper manually is difficult and often the adware is not fully removed. Therefore, we recommend you to use the MalwareBytes AntiMalware (MBAM) that are fully clean your computer. Moreover, this free program will help you to delete malicious software, PUPs, toolbars and hijacker that your computer can be infected too.
- Download MalwareBytes from the link below.
Malwarebytes Anti-malware (Mac)
Category: Security tools
Update: July 10, 2018
- When the download is finished, close all applications and windows on your MAC. Open a directory in which you saved it. Run the downloaded file and follow the prompts.
- Click the “Scan” button to perform a system scan with this tool for the SearchToolHelper adware. Depending on your MAC OS, the scan can take anywhere from a few minutes to close to an hour. While the MalwareBytes program is scanning, you may see how many objects it has identified as threat.
- After the system scan is done, it will display the Scan Results. Make sure to check mark the items that are unsafe and then click “Remove Selected Items”.
How to stay safe online
We advise to install an ad-blocker program that can stop malicious and other unwanted web pages. The ad-blocking tool like AdGuard is a application that basically removes advertising from the Web and stops access to misleading webpages. Moreover, security experts says that using ad blocker software is necessary to stay safe when surfing the Internet.
AdGuard can be downloaded from the following link.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: January 17, 2018
After the downloading process is done, run the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” screen. Follow the prompts.
Each time, when you start your Apple Mac, AdGuard will run automatically and stop undesired popup advertisements, block harmful and misleading web-pages.
To sum up
Now your MAC OS should be free of the SearchToolHelper adware. We suggest that you keep MalwareBytes AntiMalware (to periodically scan your machine for new adwares and other malicious software) and AdGuard (to help you block undesired pop-ups and malicious web pages). Moreover, to prevent any adware, please stay clear of unknown and third party software.
If you need more help with SearchToolHelper related issues, go to here.