IT security specialists has determined that TopLookup is a PUA (potentially unwanted application) from the adware family. Dangerous Adware – What Is It? Adware is software responsible for unwanted advertising. Some adware software will bring up ads when you is browsing the Internet, while other will build up a profile of your surfing habits in order to target ads.
Does adware steal your personal information? Adware may monetize its functionality by collecting confidential information from your surfing sessions. This personal data, subsequently, can be easily used for marketing purposes. This puts your sensitive information at a security risk.
|Type||adware, potentially unwanted application (PUA), pop-up virus, pop-up advertisements, popups|
|Removal||TopLookup removal guide|
We suggest to delete the TopLookup adware that causes multiple intrusive advertisements and pop-ups, as soon as you found this problem, as it can reroute your web-browser to web-resources which may load other harmful software on your machine.
How to remove TopLookup app from Mac (Adware virus removal guide)
In the step-by-step guidance below we will have a look at the adware and how to get rid of TopLookup from Firefox, Chrome and Safari web browsers for Apple Mac, natively or by using a few free removal tools. Certain of the steps below will require you to shut down this web-page. So, please read the instructions carefully, after that bookmark it or open it on your smartphone for later reference.
To remove TopLookup, perform the steps below:
- How to manually remove TopLookup
- Delete Top Lookup with free tools
- How to stay safe online
- Finish words
How to manually remove TopLookup
Looking for a way to delete TopLookup adware software manually without installing any software? Then this section of the blog post is just for you. Below are some simple steps you can take. Performing these steps requires basic knowledge of internet browser and Microsoft Windows setup. If you are not sure that you can follow them, it is better to use free tools listed below that can help you get rid of TopLookup adware.
Remove adware through the Finder
One of the first things to attempt for removal of adware software is to check your MAC system installed programs screen and look for unwanted and dubious apps. If there are any apps you do not recognize or are no longer using, you should delete them. If that doesn’t work, then you may need to run adware removal tool like MalwareBytes Free.
- Open the Finder.
- Click “Applications”.
- It will open a list of all programs installed on the MAC OS.
- Scroll through the all list, and delete Top Lookup, other suspicious and unknown software. Pay maximum attention to the application you installed last.
- Drag the questionable program from the Applications folder to the Trash.
- Empty Trash.
Remove TopLookup adware from Google Chrome
Resetting Google Chrome to original state is helpful in deleting the TopLookup ads from your web browser. This solution is always effective to perform if you have trouble in removing changes caused by adware software.
- First start the Google Chrome and press Menu button (small button in the form of three dots).
- It will open the Chrome main menu. Select More Tools, then press Extensions.
- You will see the list of installed extensions. If the list has the extension labeled with “Installed by enterprise policy” or “Installed by your administrator”, then complete the following tutorial: Remove Chrome extensions installed by enterprise policy.
- Now open the Chrome menu once again, press the “Settings” menu.
- You will see the Google Chrome’s settings page. Scroll down and click “Advanced” link.
- Scroll down again and click the “Reset” button.
- The Google Chrome will show the reset profile settings page as shown on the screen above.
- Next press the “Reset” button.
- Once this procedure is finished, your web-browser’s default search provider, home page and new tab will be restored to their original defaults.
- To learn more, read the post How to reset Google Chrome settings to default.
Remove TopLookup adware from Firefox
If the Firefox browser program is hijacked, then resetting its settings can help. The Reset feature is available on all modern version of Mozilla Firefox. A reset can fix many issues by restoring Firefox settings like home page, new tab page and search engine by default to their original state. However, your themes, bookmarks, history, passwords, and web form auto-fill information will not be deleted.
Click the Menu button (looks like three horizontal lines), and click the blue Help icon located at the bottom of the drop down menu as shown below.
A small menu will appear, click the “Troubleshooting Information”. On this page, press “Refresh Firefox” button such as the one below.
Follow the onscreen procedure to restore your Mozilla Firefox web-browser settings to their default state.
Remove TopLookup adware from Safari
If you find that Safari internet browser settings such as newtab page, search engine and start page having been replaced by TopLookup adware that cause undesired popups to appear, then you may revert back your settings, via the reset browser procedure.
Run Safari browser. Next, choose Preferences from the Safari menu.
First, click the “Security” tab. Here, select “Block pop-up windows”. It will stop some types of popups.
Now, click the “Extensions” tab. Look for suspicious extensions on left panel, choose it, then click the “Uninstall” button. Most important to remove all dubious addons from Safari.
Once complete, check your home page and search engine settings. Click “General” icon. Make sure that the “Homepage” field contains the website you want or is empty.
Make sure that the “Search engine” setting shows your preferred search engine. In some versions of Safari, this setting is in the “Search” tab.
Delete Top Lookup with free tools
Manual removal is not always as effective as you might think. Often, even the most experienced users may not completely remove TopLookup adware software that redirects your browser to intrusive ad web-sites. So, we recommend to check your machine for any remaining harmful components with free adware removal apps below.
Run MalwareBytes Anti Malware to delete TopLookup
If you are still having issues with TopLookup adware removal or just wish to scan your MAC OS occasionally for adware and other malicious software, then download MalwareBytes Anti Malware (MBAM). It’s free for home use, and searches for and deletes various unwanted software that attacks your machine or degrades machine performance. MalwareBytes AntiMalware (MBAM) can remove hijacker infection, adware, PUPs as well as malicious software, including ransomware and trojans.
- MalwareBytes Anti Malware can be downloaded from the following link.
Malwarebytes Anti-malware (Mac)
Category: Security tools
Update: September 10, 2020
- After the download is done, close all programs and windows on your Apple Mac. Open a file location. Run the downloaded file and follow the prompts.
- Press the “Scan” button . MalwareBytes Anti Malware utility will begin scanning the whole MAC system to find out TopLookup which causes annoying pop-up advertisements. While the MalwareBytes is scanning, you can see how many objects it has identified either as being malware.
- As the scanning ends, you’ll be shown the list of all detected items on your machine. In order to remove all items, simply click “Remove Selected Items”.
How to stay safe online
Use ad blocking program like AdGuard in order to stop ads, malvertisements, pop-ups and online trackers, avoid having to install harmful and adware browser plug-ins and add-ons that affect your machine performance and impact your Apple Mac security. Browse the World Wide Web anonymously and stay safe online!
AdGuard can be downloaded from the following link.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: January 17, 2018
Once the download is finished, run the downloaded file. The “Setup Wizard” window will show up on the computer screen.
Follow the prompts. AdGuard will then be installed. A window will show up asking you to confirm that you want to see a quick guidance. Press “Skip” button to close the window and use the default settings, or click “Get Started” to see an quick instructions that will help you get to know AdGuard better.
Each time, when you run your Apple Mac, AdGuard will start automatically and stop unwanted popup advertisements, block harmful or misleading web-pages.
After completing the few simple steps shown above, your MAC should be free from TopLookup adware that causes multiple intrusive advertisements and popups. The Firefox, Chrome and Safari will no longer redirect you to various unwanted web pages. Unfortunately, if the guidance does not help you, then you have caught a new adware software, and then the best way – ask for help here.