The My Maps Express is a potentially unwanted software from the big family of browser hijackers. When infected by the unwanted software, the Chrome, Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox and Edge web-browser’s settings such as homepage, newtab page and default search engine may be altered without permission. Whenever you open the web-browser, the My Maps Express appears as your startpage instead of your favorite homepage.
Table of contents
- What is My Maps Express
- My Maps Express removal tutorial
- How to delete My Maps Express home page without any software
- How to delete My Maps Express startpage with free applications
- How to block My Maps Express redirect
- Why has my homepage and search provider changed to My Maps Express?
- Finish words
The hijacker can also set up the My Maps Express web-site as the FF, Google Chrome, Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge default search engine that cause search redirections via the web site. In this way, developers of the browser hijacker have an opportunity to display various ads together with the search results for your query. These intrusive advertisements will be summarized in the redirected web page. This can bring a ton of money for makers of the hijacker.
Often, the system which has been infected by My Maps Express browser hijacker, will be also infected with ‘ad-supported’ software (also known as adware) that displays a huge number of various advertisements. It can be pop-ups, text links in the sites, banners where they never had. What is more, the ad supported software can replace the legitimate ads with malicious ads that will offer to download and install malicious software and unwanted programs or visit the various dangerous and misleading sites.
In addition to that, as was mentioned earlier, certain hijackers like My Maps Express to also alter all web browsers shortcuts which located on your Desktop or Start menu. So, every infected shortcut will try to redirect your web browser to undesired web pages, certain of which might be harmful. It can make the whole machine more vulnerable to hacker attacks.
The tutorial below explaining steps to remove My Maps Express problem. Feel free to use it for removal of the hijacker that may attack Chrome, Firefox, Edge and Microsoft Internet Explorer and other popular browsers. The step-by-step instructions will allow you restore your settings of internet browsers that previously changed by hijacker infection.
My Maps Express removal tutorial
We can help you remove My Maps Express, without the need to take your computer to a professional. Simply follow the removal guidance below if you currently have the intrusive hijacker on your computer and want to get rid of it. If you have any difficulty while trying to remove the browser hijacker, feel free to ask for our help in the comment section below. Some of the steps will require you to restart your PC or close the page. So, read this guidance carefully, then bookmark or print it for later reference.
How to delete My Maps Express home page without any software
The useful removal instructions for the My Maps Express home page. The detailed procedure can be followed by anyone as it really does take you step-by-step. If you follow this process to delete My Maps Express homepage let us know how you managed by sending us your comments please.
Remove suspicious and potentially unwanted software using Microsoft Windows Control Panel
Some potentially unwanted software, browser hijacking software and adware may be removed by uninstalling the free software they came with. If this way does not succeed, then looking them up in the list of installed software in MS Windows Control Panel. Use the “Uninstall” command in order to get rid of them.
- If you are using Windows 8, 8.1 or 10 then click Windows button, next click Search. Type “Control panel”and press Enter.
- If you are using Windows XP, Vista, 7, then press “Start” button and press “Control Panel”.
- It will open the Windows Control Panel.
- Further, press “Uninstall a program” under Programs category.
- It will open a list of all programs installed on the computer.
- Scroll through the all list, and remove suspicious and unknown applications. To quickly find the latest installed applications, we recommend sort software by date.
See more details in the video guide below.
Remove My Maps Express redirect from Chrome
Use the Reset web-browser tool of the Chrome to reset all its settings such as startpage, new tab page and search provider by default to original defaults. This is a very useful utility to use, in the case of internet browser hijacks such as My Maps Express.
- First start the Chrome and click Menu button (small button in the form of three horizontal stripes).
- It will display the Google Chrome main menu. Select “Settings” option.
- You will see the Google Chrome’s settings page. Scroll down and press “Show advanced settings” link.
- Scroll down again and click the “Reset settings” button.
- The Google Chrome will display the reset profile settings page as shown on the screen above.
- Next click the “Reset” button.
- Once this process is finished, your web-browser’s newtab, homepage and search engine by default will be restored to their original defaults.
- To learn more, read the blog post How to reset Chrome settings to default.
Remove My Maps Express from FF by resetting browser settings
If the Firefox web-browser program is hijacked, then resetting its settings can help. The Reset feature is available on all modern version of FF. A reset can fix many issues by restoring Firefox settings like home page, new tab and default search engine to its default state. It will save your personal information such as saved passwords, bookmarks, and open tabs.
Start the Firefox and press the menu button (it looks like three stacked lines) at the top right of the web-browser screen. Next, click the question-mark icon at the bottom of the drop-down menu. It will display the slide-out menu.
Select the “Troubleshooting information”. If you are unable to access the Help menu, then type “about:support” in your address bar and press Enter. It bring up the “Troubleshooting Information” page as shown in the figure below.
Click the “Refresh Firefox” button at the top right of the Troubleshooting Information page. Select “Refresh Firefox” in the confirmation dialog box. The Firefox will start a process to fix your problems that caused by the My Maps Express hijacker infection. After, it is complete, click the “Finish” button.
Remove My Maps Express startpage from Internet Explorer
The Microsoft Internet Explorer reset is great if your internet browser is hijacked or you’ve unwanted extensions or toolbars on your browser, that installed by a malicious software.
First, start the Internet Explorer. Next, click the button in the form of gear (). It will show the Tools drop-down menu, press the “Internet Options” like below.
In the “Internet Options” window click on the Advanced tab, then click the Reset button. The Internet Explorer will open the “Reset Internet Explorer settings” window as shown in the figure below. Select the “Delete personal settings” check box, then click “Reset” button.
You will now need to restart your computer for the changes to take effect.
How to delete My Maps Express startpage with free applications
There are not many good free antimalware programs with high detection ratio. The effectiveness of malware removal utilities depends on various factors, mostly on how often their virus/malware signatures DB are updated in order to effectively detect modern malware, adware, hijackers and other potentially unwanted software. We suggest to run several programs, not just one. These programs which listed below will help you remove all components of the hijacker infection from your disk and Windows registry and thereby delete My Maps Express .
Remove My Maps Express search with Zemana Anti-malware
Zemana Anti-malware highly recommended, because it can detect security threats such adware and browser hijackers which most ‘classic’ antivirus programs fail to pick up on. Moreover, if you have any My Maps Express browser hijacker removal problems which cannot be fixed by this tool automatically, then Zemana Anti-malware provides 24X7 online assistance from the highly experienced support staff.
- Please download Zemana AntiMalware to your desktop from the following link.
Author: Zemana Ltd
Category: Security tools
Update: July 16, 2019
- At the download page, click on the Download button. Your internet browser will open the “Save as” dialog box. Please save it onto your Windows desktop.
- Once the download is finished, please close all programs and open windows on your PC. Next, run a file called Zemana.AntiMalware.Setup.
- This will open the “Setup wizard” of Zemana AntiMalware onto your machine. Follow the prompts and don’t make any changes to default settings.
- When the Setup wizard has finished installing, the AntiMalware will run and show the main window.
- Further, press the “Scan” button to start scanning your PC system for the hijacker infection which created to reroute your internet browser to the My Maps Express web site. Depending on your PC system, the scan can take anywhere from a few minutes to close to an hour. When a malicious software, adware or potentially unwanted software are detected, the number of the security threats will change accordingly. Wait until the the checking is complete.
- When the system scan is finished, it’ll show a list of detected threats.
- In order to remove all items, simply click the “Next” button. The utility will begin to get rid of My Maps Express browser hijacker and other security threats. Once the task is finished, you may be prompted to reboot the system.
- Close the Zemana Anti-Malware and continue with the next step.
How to automatically remove My Maps Express with Malwarebytes
Get rid of My Maps Express browser hijacker infection manually is difficult and often the browser hijacker is not completely removed. Therefore, we recommend you to run the Malwarebytes Free that are completely clean your computer. Moreover, the free application will help you to get rid of malicious software, PUPs, toolbars and ‘ad supported’ software that your computer can be infected too.
Download Malwarebytes Free on your PC system from the link below. Save it on your desktop.
Category: Security tools
Update: July 25, 2019
When the download is done, close all windows on your PC. Further, open the file called mb3-setup. If the “User Account Control” prompt pops up as shown below, press the “Yes” button.
It will display the “Setup wizard” that will assist you install Malwarebytes on the PC system. Follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
Once install is done successfully, press Finish button. Then Malwarebytes will automatically start and you can see its main window like below.
Next, press the “Scan Now” button . This will begin scanning the whole computer to find out My Maps Express hijacker related files, folders and registry keys. While the utility is checking, you may see how many objects it has identified as being infected by malicious software.
After it has finished scanning, the results are displayed in the scan report. Review the scan results and then press “Quarantine Selected” button.
The Malwarebytes will start to remove hijacker infection that causes browsers to show intrusive My Maps Express web page. Once the cleaning process is complete, you can be prompted to reboot your personal computer. We suggest you look at the following video, which completely explains the procedure of using the Malwarebytes to delete browser hijackers, ‘ad supported’ software and other malware.
Scan and clean your system of browser hijacker infection with AdwCleaner
The AdwCleaner utility is free and easy to use. It can scan and get rid of hijacker infection such as My Maps Express, malware, PUPs and adware in Google Chrome, Firefox, MS Edge and Microsoft Internet Explorer browsers and thereby revert back their default settings (startpage, new tab page and default search provider). AdwCleaner is powerful enough to find and get rid of malicious registry entries and files that are hidden on the system.
- Download AdwCleaner from the link below.
Author: Xplode, MalwareBytes
Category: Security tools
Update: July 23, 2019
- After downloading is complete, double click the AdwCleaner icon. Once this tool is opened, click “Scan” button to perform a system scan for the browser hijacker that made to reroute your internet browser to the My Maps Express web site. Depending on your computer, the scan can take anywhere from a few minutes to close to an hour. When a threat is detected, the count of the security threats will change accordingly. Wait until the the checking is complete.
- Once it has finished scanning your personal computer, it will open a list of all items detected by this tool. You may move items to Quarantine (all selected by default) by simply click “Clean” button. It will open a prompt, click “OK”.
These few simple steps are shown in detail in the following video guide.
How to block My Maps Express redirect
It is important to use adblocker software like AdGuard to protect your personal computer from malicious sites. Most security experts says that it is okay to block advertisements. You should do so just to stay safe! And, of course, the AdGuard may to block My Maps Express and other intrusive pages.
Installing the AdGuard adblocker program is simple. First you’ll need to download AdGuard from the following link.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: November 15, 2018
Once the downloading process is done, double-click the downloaded file to run it. The “Setup Wizard” window will show up on the computer screen as shown below.
Follow the prompts. AdGuard will then be installed and an icon will be placed on your desktop. A window will show up asking you to confirm that you want to see a quick guide like below.
Click “Skip” button to close the window and use the default settings, or click “Get Started” to see an quick instructions that will allow you get to know AdGuard better.
Each time, when you start your machine, AdGuard will start automatically and block pop ups, My Maps Express redirect, as well as other malicious or misleading web sites. For an overview of all the features of the application, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the AdGuard icon, which can be found on your desktop.
Why has my homepage and search provider changed to My Maps Express?
Once you’ve done the guidance shown above, your machine should be clean from hijackers, adware and malicious software. The Google Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft Internet Explorer and Edge will no longer display My Maps Express annoying home page on startup. Unfortunately, if the step-by-step tutorial does not help you, then you have caught a new browser hijacker, and then the best way – ask for help in our Spyware/Malware removal forum.