The appearance of “Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage” in your web browser could mean that your Internet Explorer has become the victim of unwanted software from the browser hijacker family, that alters settings of all your typical internet browsers by modifying the homepage, newtab page and default search provider. So, if you find that when you open your browser, it displays this intrusive page, then you do not need to wait , you need to follow the few simple steps below and remove “Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage” hijacker as soon as possible.
When your personal computer is infected with “Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage” hijacker, every time you run your internet browser you may see this page. Of course you may setup your homepage again, but next time you launch a web browser you will see that the Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage return. As mentioned above, the browser hijacker infection can modify the default search provider on an unknown site, so all your search queries will be rerouted to an unwanted webpage. Thus the authors of the browser hijacker can collect the search terms of your queries, and redirect you to annoying web-sites.
Table of contents
- What is Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage
- Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage removal tutorial
- How to manually remove Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage
- Use free malware removal utilities to completely remove Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage
- Run AdBlocker to stop Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage and stay safe online
- Where the browser hijacker comes from
- Finish words
The Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage browser hijacker infection usually affects only Internet Explorer web-browser. However, possible situations, when any other web-browsers will be affected too. The hijacker will perform a scan of the machine for web browser shortcuts and modify them without your permission. When it infects the web-browser shortcuts, it’ll add the argument such as ‘http://site.address’ into Target property. So, each time you start the internet browser, you will see the Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage unwanted web-page.
Some browser hijackers also contain ‘ad-supported’ software (also known as adware) that can be used to open unwanted advertisements and or collect a wide variety of personal info that may be used for marketing purposes. These unwanted ads can be displayed in the form of pop-unders, pop-ups, in-text ads, video ads, text links or banners or even massive full page advertisements. Most of the ‘ad supported’ software is designed to show ads, but some ‘ad supported’ software is form of spyware that often used to track users to gather a wide variety of user info.
We recommend you to free your personal computer of hijacker as quickly as possible. Use the steps below which will allow to remove “Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage” and malicious program, that can be installed onto your computer along with it.
Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage removal tutorial
Most often browser hijacker infections requires more than a simple uninstall through the use of Microsoft Windows Control panel in order to be fully deleted. For that reason, our team created several removal methods which we have combined in a detailed instructions. Therefore, if you have the undesired “Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage” browser hijacker on your personal computer and are currently trying to have it removed then feel free to follow the tutorial below in order to resolve your problem. Read this manual carefully, bookmark or print it, because you may need to close your web-browser or reboot your personal computer.
How to manually remove Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage
Most common browser hijackers may be uninstalled without any antivirus applications. The manual browser hijacker removal is article steps that will teach you how to delete the browser hijacker that opens unwanted “Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage” page.
Deleting the browser hijacker, check the list of installed programs first
First, you should try to identify and uninstall the program that causes the appearance of unwanted advertisements or internet browser redirect, using the ‘Uninstall a program’ which is located in the ‘Control panel’.
Windows 8, 8.1, 10
First, press Windows button , then press Search . Type ‘Control panel’and press Enter as shown below.
Once the ‘Control Panel’ opens, click the ‘Uninstall a program’ link under Programs category as shown on the screen below.
You will see the ‘Uninstall a program’ panel as shown on the image below.
Very carefully look around the entire list of programs installed on your PC system. Most likely, one or more of them are responsible for the appearance of pop up ads and web-browser redirect to the undesired Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage web site. If you have many programs installed, you can help simplify the search of malicious software by sort the list by date of installation. Once you have found a suspicious, unwanted or unused program, right click to it, after that click ‘Uninstall’.
Windows XP, Vista, 7
First, click ‘Start’ button and select ‘Control Panel’ at right panel like below.
Once the Windows ‘Control Panel’ opens, you need to click ‘Uninstall a program’ under ‘Programs’ as shown on the image below.
You will see a list of programs installed on your personal computer. We recommend to sort the list by date of installation to quickly find the software that were installed last. Most likely they responsibility for the appearance of pop-ups and internet browser redirect. If you are in doubt, you can always check the program by doing a search for her name in Google, Yahoo or Bing. Once the program which you need to uninstall is found, simply click on its name, and then press ‘Uninstall’ like below.
Clean up the web-browsers shortcuts which have been hijacked by hijacker
When the hijacker infection is started, it can also modify the browser’s shortcuts, adding an argument such as “http://site.address” into the Target field. Due to this, every time you launch the web browser, it will display the unwanted “Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage ” page.
Right click to a desktop shortcut for your web browser. Choose the “Properties” option. It will open the Properties window. Select the “Shortcut” tab here, after that, look at the “Target” field. The browser hijacker infection can modify it. If you are seeing something such as “…exe http://site.address” then you need to remove “http…” and leave only iexplore.exe. Look at the example as shown in the figure below.
Once is complete, click the “OK” button to save the changes. Please repeat this step for browser shortcuts which redirects to an intrusive web sites. When you have completed, go to next step.
Reset Internet Explorer to remove browser hijacker
The IE reset is great if your internet browser is hijacked or you have unwanted addo-ons or toolbars on your internet browser, which installed by an malicious software.
First, launch the IE, click ) button. Next, press “Internet Options” like below.
In the “Internet Options” screen select the Advanced tab. Next, click Reset button. The Microsoft Internet Explorer will open the Reset Internet Explorer settings prompt. Select the “Delete personal settings” check box and press Reset button.
You will now need to reboot your computer for the changes to take effect. It will get rid of “Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage” browser hijacker, disable malicious and ad-supported web-browser’s extensions and restore the Internet Explorer’s settings such as startpage, new tab and default search provider to default state.
Use free malware removal utilities to completely remove Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage
Use malware removal tools to delete this browser hijacker automatically. The free applications utilities specially designed for hijacker, adware and other potentially unwanted programs removal. These tools can remove most of hijacker from Microsoft Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge and other browsers. Moreover, it can remove all components of browser hijacker from Windows registry and system drives.
How to get rid of Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage with Zemana Anti-malware
We suggest using the Zemana Anti-malware that are completely clean your computer of the browser hijacker. The tool is an advanced malicious software removal program designed by (c) Zemana lab. It’s able to help you remove potentially unwanted programs, browser hijackers, ad supported software, malicious software, toolbars, ransomware and other security threats from your personal computer for free.
- Download Zemana antimalware (ZAM) by clicking on the link below.
Author: Zemana Ltd
Category: Security tools
Update: July 16, 2019
- Once downloading is finished, close all software and windows on your PC system. Open a file location. Double-click on the icon that’s named Zemana.AntiMalware.Setup.
- Further, click Next button and follow the prompts.
- Once setup is finished, click the “Scan” button to perform a system scan for the hijacker infection and other malicious software and adware. While the utility is checking, you can see number of objects and files has already scanned.
- Once the system scan is done, a list of all threats found is produced. Review the scan results and then click “Next”. Once disinfection is finished, you can be prompted to restart your PC system.
Automatically remove Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage with Malwarebytes
Remove the “Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage” hijacker manually is difficult and often the hijacker is not completely removed. Therefore, we suggest you to run the Malwarebytes Free that are completely clean your PC system. Moreover, the free program will allow you to get rid of malicious software, potentially unwanted applications, toolbars and ‘ad supported’ software that your personal computer can be infected too.
- Please download Malwarebytes to your desktop from the following link.
Category: Security tools
Update: April 15, 2020
- At the download page, click on the Download button. Your browser will show the “Save as” dialog box. Please save it onto your Windows desktop.
- Once the downloading process is complete, please close all applications and open windows on your computer. Double-click on the icon that’s named mb3-setup.
- This will open the “Setup wizard” of Malwarebytes onto your computer. Follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
- When the Setup wizard has finished installing, the Malwarebytes will start and display the main window.
- Further, press the “Scan Now” button to perform a system scan for the browser hijacker infection and other malicious software and ad supported software. This process may take some time, so please be patient.
- Once the scan is complete, you will be opened the list of all found threats on your PC.
- When you’re ready, click the “Quarantine Selected” button to start cleaning your machine. Once the task is finished, you may be prompted to restart the PC system.
- Close the Anti-Malware and continue with the next step.
Video instruction, which reveals in detail the steps above.
Double-check for potentially unwanted applications with AdwCleaner
AdwCleaner is a free removal tool that can be downloaded and use to remove browser hijackers, ‘ad supported’ software, malicious software, PUPs, toolbars and other threats from your system. You can run this tool to find threats even if you have an antivirus or any other security program.
- Download AdwCleaner from the link below.
Author: Xplode, MalwareBytes
Category: Security tools
Update: June 30, 2021
- When downloading is done, double click the AdwCleaner icon. Once this utility is started, click “Scan” button . This will begin scanning the whole personal computer to find out the hijacker infection which redirect your Internet Explorer browser on to “Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage”. A scan can take anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes, depending on the number of files on your computer and the speed of your personal computer.
- When it has finished scanning, it’ll show a scan report. Make sure all entries have ‘checkmark’ and click “Clean” button. It will display a prompt, press “OK”.
These few simple steps are shown in detail in the following video guide.
Run AdBlocker to stop Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage and stay safe online
In order to increase your security and protect your PC system against new unwanted advertisements and harmful web-sites, you need to use ad-blocking program that blocks an access to dangerous ads and pages. Moreover, the application can stop the show of intrusive advertising, that also leads to faster loading of web-sites and reduce the consumption of web traffic.
- Download AdGuard program from the following link.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: November 15, 2018
- When downloading is finished, start the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” program window. Follow the prompts.
- Once the installation is finished, press “Skip” to close the install program and use the default settings, or click “Get Started” to see an quick tutorial which will help you get to know AdGuard better.
- In most cases, the default settings are enough and you don’t need to change anything. Each time, when you start your personal computer, AdGuard will launch automatically and block pop up ads, “Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage” redirects, as well as other harmful or misleading pages. For an overview of all the features of the application, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the icon named AdGuard, which is located on your desktop.
Where the browsers hijacker comes from
Now your personal computer should be clean of the “Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage” redirect. Uninstall AdwCleaner. We suggest that you keep AdGuard (to help you block unwanted pop up advertisements and annoying malicious web pages) and Malwarebytes (to periodically scan your PC system for new malware, browser hijackers and adware). Make sure that you have all the Critical Updates recommended for Windows OS. Without regular updates you WILL NOT be protected when new browser hijacker, malicious software and ad-supported software are released.
If you are still having problems while trying to remove a hijacker from your Internet Explorer web browser, then ask for help in our Spyware/Malware removal forum.