The Winscr.exe is an adware (sometimes called ‘ad-supported’ software) that opens undesired pop up ads within browser screen and redirects the Google Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer and MS Edge on to various ads web pages.
The ad supported software may insert a large amount of ads directly to the web pages that you visit, creating a sense that the advertising banners has been added by the creators of the site. Moreover, a legal advertisements may be replaced on the fake ads, that will offer to download and install various unnecessary and malicious programs. Moreover, the ad-supported software has the ability to collect a huge count of personal information about you (your ip address, what is a web page you are viewing now, what you are looking for on the World Wide Web, which links you are clicking), which can later transfer to third parties.
Winscr.exe adware removal instructions
In the steps below we will have a look at the adware virus and how to get rid of Winscr.exe from your computer and the Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Edge and Internet Explorer web browsers for Microsoft Windows OS, natively or by using a few free removal tools. Some of the steps below will require you to close the web page. So, please read the steps carefully, after that bookmark or print it for later reference.
How to manually delete Winscr.exe
If you perform exactly the few simple steps below you should be able to get rid of the Winscr.exe adware virus from the Google Chrome, Firefox, Edge and Microsoft Internet Explorer web-browsers.
Delete Winscr.exe associated software by using MS Windows Control Panel
Some potentially unwanted programs, browser hijacking applications and adware can be removed by uninstalling the freeware they came with. If this way does not succeed, then looking them up in the list of installed software in Windows Control Panel. Use the “Uninstall” command in order to remove them.
- If you are using Windows 8, 8.1 or 10 then press Windows button, next click Search. Type “Control panel”and press Enter.
- If you are using Windows XP, Vista, 7, then click “Start” button and click “Control Panel”.
- It will display the Windows Control Panel.
- Further, press “Uninstall a program” under Programs category.
- It will display a list of all programs installed on the computer.
- Scroll through the all list, and uninstall suspicious and unknown software. To quickly find the latest installed software, we recommend sort programs by date.
See more details in the video guide below.
Fix infected web browsers shortcuts to remove Winscr.exe redirect
A adware virus can hijack various Windows shortcuts on your desktop (most often, all internet browsers shortcuts), so in this step you need to check and clean them by removing the argument like http://site.address/.
To clear the internet browser shortcut, right-click to it and select Properties. On the Shortcut tab, locate the Target field. Click inside, you will see a vertical line – arrow pointer, move it (using -> arrow key on your keyboard) to the right as possible. You will see a text such as “http://site.address” that has been added here. You need to delete it.
When the text is removed, click the OK button. You need to clean all shortcuts of all your browsers, as they may be infected too.
Remove Winscr.exe from IE
The Internet Explorer reset is great if your internet browser is hijacked or you have unwanted addo-ons or toolbars on your web browser, which installed by an malicious software.
First, run the Internet Explorer, click ) button. Next, press “Internet Options” as shown in the figure below.
In the “Internet Options” screen select the Advanced tab. Next, click Reset button. The Internet Explorer will show the Reset Internet Explorer settings prompt. Select the “Delete personal settings” check box and click Reset button.
You will now need to restart your personal computer for the changes to take effect. It will remove Winscr.exe , disable malicious and ad-supported browser’s extensions and restore the Microsoft Internet Explorer’s settings like newtab, homepage and search provider by default to default state.
Remove Winscr.exe virus from Firefox
If the FF web-browser program is hijacked, then resetting its settings can help. The Reset feature is available on all modern version of Mozilla Firefox. A reset can fix many issues by restoring Firefox settings like home page, new tab page and default search engine to its default state. It will save your personal information like saved passwords, bookmarks, and open tabs.
First, open the Firefox. Next, press the button in the form of three horizontal stripes (). It will display the drop-down menu. Next, click the Help button ().
In the Help menu click the “Troubleshooting Information”. In the upper-right corner of the “Troubleshooting Information” page click on “Refresh Firefox” button as shown below.
Confirm your action, click the “Refresh Firefox”.
Remove Winscr.exe adware virus from Chrome
Reset Google Chrome settings is a easy way to delete the browser hijackers, harmful and ‘ad-supported’ extensions, as well as to recover the browser’s newtab, startpage and search provider by default that have been replaced by Winscr.exe adware virus that causes a huge count of unwanted pop up advertisements.
First launch the Google Chrome. Next, click the button in the form of three horizontal stripes (). It will open the main menu. Further, press the option named “Settings”. Another way to open the Chrome’s settings – type chrome://settings in the internet browser adress bar and press Enter.
The internet browser will show the settings screen. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click the “Show advanced settings” link. Now scroll down until the “Reset settings” section is visible, as shown below and press the “Reset settings” button.
The Chrome will display the confirmation prompt. You need to confirm your action, press the “Reset” button. The web browser will run the process of cleaning. Once it is finished, the web browser’s settings including startpage, newtab and default search engine back to the values that have been when the Chrome was first installed on your computer.
Remove unwanted Scheduled Tasks
If the intrusive Winscr.exe web-site opens automatically on Windows startup or at equal time intervals, then you need to check the Task Scheduler Library and get rid of all the tasks that have been created by malicious software.
Press Windows and R keys on your keyboard simultaneously. It will show a dialog box that titled as Run. In the text field, type “taskschd.msc” (without the quotes) and click OK. Task Scheduler window opens. In the left-hand side, click “Task Scheduler Library”, as shown on the screen below.
In the middle part you will see a list of installed tasks. Select the first task, its properties will be show just below automatically. Next, click the Actions tab. Necessary to look at the text which is written under Details. Found something such as “explorer.exe http://site.address” or “chrome.exe http://site.address” or “firefox.exe http://site.address”, then you need remove this task. If you are not sure that executes the task, then google it. If it is a component of the malicious program, then this task also should be removed.
Further press on it with the right mouse button and select Delete as shown on the image below.
Repeat this step, if you have found a few tasks that have been created by malicious programs. Once is finished, close the Task Scheduler window.
How to get rid of Winscr.exe adware virus with free programs
In order to completely delete Winscr.exe, you not only need to delete adware from your PC, but also delete all its components in your computer including Windows registry entries. We suggest to download and run free removal utilities to automatically clean your PC system of Winscr.exe virus that causes a large amount of annoying popup advertisements.
Run Zemana Anti-malware to remove Winscr.exe
We recommend using the Zemana Anti-malware. You can download and install Zemana Anti-malware to detect ad supported software and thereby remove Winscr.exe adware virus from the Chrome, IE, Firefox and Edge web-browsers. When installed and updated, the malicious software remover will automatically scan and detect all threats present on your PC.
- Please download Zemana anti-malware to your desktop from the following link.
Author: Zemana Ltd
Category: Security tools
Update: April 20, 2017
- At the download page, click on the Download button. Your internet browser will display the “Save as” dialog box. Please save it onto your Windows desktop.
- Once the download is complete, please close all applications and open windows on your PC system. Next, start a file named Zemana.AntiMalware.Setup.
- This will launch the “Setup wizard” of Zemana antimalware onto your computer. Follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
- When the Setup wizard has finished installing, the anti-malware will open and display the main window.
- Further, click the “Scan” button to perform a system scan for the Winscr.exe virus that causes lots of unwanted popup ads. This process can take some time, so please be patient. During the scan it’ll detect all threats present on your computer.
- When it has finished scanning, you’ll be opened the list of all found threats on your computer.
- Next, you need to click the “Next” button to begin cleaning your system. Once the procedure is complete, you may be prompted to restart the personal computer.
- Close the Zemana Anti-Malware and continue with the next step.
How to automatically remove Winscr.exe with Malwarebytes
Manual Winscr.exe adware removal requires some computer skills. Some files and registry entries that created by the adware virus can be not completely removed. We suggest that run the Malwarebytes Free that are completely free your PC system of adware virus. Moreover, the free application will help you to get rid of malware, potentially unwanted applications, hijackers and toolbars that your PC can be infected too.
- Download Malwarebytes (MBAM) from the link below.
Category: Security tools
Update: November 9, 2017
- When downloading is finished, close all programs and windows on your PC system. Open a folder in which you saved it. Double-click on the icon that’s named mb3-setup.
- Further, click Next button and follow the prompts.
- Once installation is finished, click the “Scan Now” button to start scanning your PC for the Winscr.exe adware virus that causes internet browsers to show undesired pop ups. A system scan can take anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes, depending on your computer. When a malware, adware or potentially unwanted applications are detected, the number of the security threats will change accordingly. Wait until the the checking is complete.
- When it has finished scanning, it’ll show a list of found items. When you are ready, click “Quarantine Selected”. Once disinfection is complete, you can be prompted to restart your system.
The following video offers a steps on how to get rid of browser hijacker with Malwarebytes.
If the problem with Winscr.exe is still remained
AdwCleaner is a free portable program that scans your computer for Winscr.exe virus that causes lots of annoying pop-up advertisements, PUPs and browser hijackers and helps remove them easily. Moreover, it will also allow you get rid of any malicious internet browser extensions and add-ons.
- Download AdwCleaner by clicking on the link below.
Category: Security tools
Update: October 27, 2017
- When the download is done, double click the AdwCleaner icon. Once this utility is launched, press “Scan” button for scanning your system for the Winscr.exe adware virus which redirects your internet browser to undesired ad sites. A system scan can take anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes, depending on your personal computer. When a threat is found, the number of the security threats will change accordingly.
- As the scanning ends, the results are displayed in the scan report. Make sure all entries have ‘checkmark’ and click “Clean” button. It will show a prompt, press “OK”.
These few simple steps are shown in detail in the following video guide.
Run AdBlocker to block Winscr.exe and stay safe online
Running an ad blocker program such as AdGuard is an effective way to alleviate the risks. Additionally, adblocker software will also protect you from harmful ads and web-sites, and, of course, block redirection chain to Winscr.exe and similar web-pages.
- Download AdGuard program from the following link.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: May 10, 2017
- After downloading is complete, run the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” program window. Follow the prompts.
- Once the installation is complete, press “Skip” to close the installation program and use the default settings, or click “Get Started” to see an quick tutorial that will assist you get to know AdGuard better.
- In most cases, the default settings are enough and you do not need to change anything. Each time, when you run your machine, AdGuard will run automatically and block popups, web sites such Winscr.exe, as well as other harmful or misleading web pages. For an overview of all the features of the program, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the icon named AdGuard, that is located on your desktop.
How can you prevent your PC from the attack of Winscr.exe
Usually, ‘ad supported’ software gets into your machine as part of a bundle with free programs, sharing files and other unsafe applications which you downloaded from the Internet. The creators of this adware virus pays software creators for distributing adware within their software. So, additional programs is often included as part of the setup file. In order to avoid the installation of any Winscr.exe virus that causes internet browsers to show unwanted ads: select only Manual, Custom or Advanced install method and uncheck all third-party programs in which you are unsure.
Once you have finished the step by step guidance shown above, your PC system should be clean from malware and Winscr.exe adware virus that causes browsers to show undesired pop up advertisements. The Google Chrome, Firefox, Edge and IE will no longer reroute you to various unwanted web pages. Unfortunately, if the step-by-step instructions does not help you, then you have caught a new ad-supported software, and then the best way – ask for help in our Spyware/Malware removal forum.