Are you seeing lots of ads signed with Revcontent or “Sponsored by Revcontent” in the Google Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge every time you use the web browser to surf the Internet? This means that your computer is infected with an adware (also known as ‘ad-supported’ software) which looks the entire traffic generated by you and on this basis, it opens a large amount of unwanted pop-up ads. Currently, this adware are widely spread, due to the fact that most people are trying to find freeware, download and install them on the personal computer without proper attention to the fact that the adware can penetrate into the PC along with them.
Most often, the adware affects the most common internet browsers like the Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, FF and Edge. But such the harmful software as well may infect another internet browsers by changing its shortcuts (adding an argument like ‘http://site.address’ into Target field of a web browser’s shortcut). So every time you launch the web-browser, it’ll redirect to the unwanted Revcontent ads. Even if you setup a new start page, an annoying web-page will be the first thing you see when you open the Firefox, Chrome, IE and MS Edge.
The adware may insert lots of advertisements directly to the web-sites that you visit, creating a sense that the advertising links has been added by the creators of the page. Moreover, a legal advertisements may be replaced on the fake ads, that will offer to download and install various unnecessary and harmful programs. Moreover, the adware has the ability to collect a large number of personal information about you (your ip address, what is a web page you are viewing now, what you are looking for on the Internet, which links you are clicking), which can later transfer to third parties.
Instructions, which is shown below, will allow you to clean your PC system from the adware as well as get rid of Revcontent unwanted popup ads from the Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge and other web-browsers.
How did Revcontent ads get on your PC system
How to manually remove “Sponsored by Revcontent” ads
The following instructions is a step-by-step guide, which will help you manually delete Revcontent ads from the Google Chrome, IE, Firefox and MS Edge.
- Uninstall suspicious and unknown programs by using Windows Control Panel
- Delete Revcontent pop-ups from Google Chrome
- Get rid of Revcontent from Firefox
- Delete Revcontent pop-up ads from Internet Explorer
- Disinfect the browser’s shortcuts
- Remove unwanted Scheduled Tasks
Uninstall suspicious and unknown programs by using Windows Control Panel
Press Windows key , then click Search . Type “Control panel”and press Enter. If you using Windows XP or Windows 7, then click “Start” and select “Control Panel”. It will show the Windows Control Panel as shown below.
Next, click “Uninstall a program”
It’ll show a list of all software. Scroll through the all list and uninstall any suspicious and unknown software.
Delete Revcontent pop-ups from Google Chrome
Like other modern web browsers, the Chrome has the ability to reset the settings to their default values and thereby get rid of the redirect to Revcontent annoying ads that is caused by the ‘ad supported’ software.
At first, run the Google Chrome. Next, click the button in the form of three horizontal stripes (). It will appear the main menu. Click on the option named “Settings”. Another way to display the Chrome’s settings – type chrome://settings in the web browser adress bar and press Enter.
The web browser will display the settings screen. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the “Show advanced settings” link. Now scroll down until the “Reset settings” section is visible, like below and click the “Reset settings” button.
The Chrome will open the confirmation dialog box. You need to confirm your action, press the “Reset” button. The application will start the task of cleaning. When it’s finished, the web browser settings including the ‘block pop-ups’ option back to the values that have been when the Google Chrome was first installed on your computer.
Get rid of Revcontent from Firefox
First, start the FF. Next, press the button in the form of three horizontal stripes (). It will show the drop-down menu. Next, press the “Help” button ().
In the Help menu, click the “Troubleshooting Information”. In the upper-right corner of the “Troubleshooting Information” page, click “Refresh Firefox” button.
Confirm your action, click the “Refresh Firefox”.
Delete Revcontent pop-up ads from Internet Explorer
First, start the Internet Explorer, then click the button in the form of gear (). It will open the Tools drop-down menu as shown in the figure below. Next, press the “Internet Options”.
In the Internet Options window click on the Advanced tab, then click the Reset button. The IE will open the “Reset Internet Explorer settings” window as shown on the screen below. Select the “Delete personal settings” check box, then press on “Reset” button.
You will now need to reboot your system for the changes to take effect.
Disinfect the browser’s shortcuts
Once the adware is started, it can also change the browser’s shortcuts, adding an argument similar “http://site.address” into the Target field. Due to this, every time you open the browser, it will be redirected to an annoying ads.
To clear the browser shortcut, right-click to it and select Properties. On the Shortcut tab, locate the Target field. Click inside, you will see a vertical line – arrow pointer, move it (using -> arrow key on your keyboard) to the right as possible. You will see a text which begins with “http://” that has been added here. You need to remove it.
When the argument is removed, click the OK button. You need to clean all shortcuts of all your internet browsers, as they may be infected too.
Remove unwanted Scheduled Tasks
Once installed, the adware can add a task in to the Windows Task Scheduler Library. Due to this, every time when you start your computer, it will open Revcontent annoying ads. So, you need to check the Task Scheduler Library and get rid of all tasks that have been created by adware.
Press Windows and R keys on your keyboard simultaneously. It will open a dialog box that titled as Run. In the text field, type “taskschd.msc” (without the quotes) and press OK. Task Scheduler window opens. In the left-hand side, press “Task Scheduler Library”, as on the image below.
In the middle part you will see a list of installed tasks. Select the first task, its properties will be show just below automatically. Next, click the Actions tab. Necessary to look at the text which is written under Details. Found something such as “explorer.exe http://site.address” or “chrome.exe http://site.address” or “firefox.exe http://site.address”, then you need remove this task. If you are not sure that executes the task, then google it. If it’s a component of the malicious applications, then this task also should be removed.
Further click on it with the right mouse button and select Delete as on the image below.
Repeat this step, if you have found a few tasks that have been created by malicious programs. Once is complete, close the Task Scheduler window.
How to remove Revcontent ads with free malware removal application
Manual removal “Sponsored by Revcontent” pop-up ads requires some computer skills. Some files and registry entries that created by the adware may be not completely removed. We suggest that use the Malwarebytes Free that are completely clean your machine. Moreover, the free software will help you to delete malware, internet browser hijackers and toolbars that your PC system may be infected too.
- Please download Malwarebytes to your desktop by clicking on the following link.
Category: Security tools
Update: January 25, 2017
- At the download page, click the Download button. Your web-browser will open the “Save as” prompt. Please save it onto your desktop.
- When the download process is complete, please close all programs and open windows on your machine. Double-click on the icon that’s named mb3-setup.
- This will launch the Setup wizard of Malwarebytes onto your computer. Follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
- Once the Setup wizard has finished installing, the malware remover will start and display the main window.
- Further, press the “Scan Now” button to begin checking your PC system for the ad-supported software that displays the Revcontent annoying ads within your web-browser. This procedure can take quite a while, so please be patient.
- When the system scan is finished, it will display a screen which contains a list of malicious programs that has been found.
- When you are ready, click on “Quarantine Selected” button to begin cleaning your computer. When the process is finished, you may be prompted to restart your system.
- Close the Anti-Malware and continue with the next step.
Video instruction, which reveals in detail the steps above.
Stop Revcontent advertisements and other annoying web-pages
To increase your security and protect your personal computer against new unwanted ads and malicious sites, you need to use program that blocks access to harmful advertisements and web-pages. Moreover, the program can block the show of intrusive advertising, which also leads to faster loading of web sites and reduce the consumption of web traffic.
Download AdGuard program from the following link.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: August 16, 2016
Once downloading is finished, launch the file named adguardInstaller. You will see the “Setup Wizard” screen as shown on the screen below.
Follow the prompts. When the setup is finished, you will see a window as shown in the figure below.
You can press “Skip” to close the install application and use the default settings, or press “Get Started” button to see an quick tutorial which will help you get to know AdGuard better.
In most cases, the default settings are enough and you do not need to change anything. Each time, when you start your system, AdGuard will start automatically and stop pop-ups, Revcontent ads, as well as other harmful or misleading web sites. For an overview of all the features of the program, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the AdGuard icon, that is located on your Windows desktop.
If the problem with Revcontent ads is still remained
If MalwareBytes cannot remove Revcontent ads, then we suggests to use the AdwCleaner. AdwCleaner is a free removal tool for adware, browser hijackers, PUPs, toolbars.
- Download AdwCleaner from the link below.
Category: Security tools
Update: April 24, 2017
- Double click the AdwCleaner icon. Once the utility is opened the main screen will appear as shown on the image above.
- Now, click the “Scan” button . This will begin scanning the whole PC system to find out ad-supported software that generates Revcontent ads.
- When it has finished scanning, AdwCleaner will open a scan report. Review the report and then click “Clean” button. It will display a dialog box, click “OK” button.
The following video explains the steps above on how to delete adware with AdwCleaner.
After completing the instructions shown above, your PC should be clean from malware and ad-supported software. The Firefox, Google Chrome, IE and Edge will no longer show Revcontent annoying pop-up ads and redirect you to unknown sites. Unfortunately, if the few simple steps does not help you, then you have caught a new type of ad-supported software, and then the best way – ask for help.
- Download HijackThis from the link below and save it to your Desktop.
Category: Security tools
Update: November 7, 2015
- Double-click on the HijackThis icon. Next click “Do a system scan only” button.
- Once the system scan is done, the scan button will read “Save log”, press it. Save this log to your desktop.
- Create a Myantispyware account here. Once you’ve registered, check your e-mail for a confirmation link, and confirm your account. After that, login.
- Copy and paste the contents of the HijackThis log into your post. If you are posting for the first time, please start a new thread by using the “New Topic” button in the Spyware Removal forum. When posting your HJT log, try to give us some details about your problems, so we can try to help you more accurately.
- Wait for one of our trained “Security Team” or Site Administrator to provide you with knowledgeable assistance tailored to your problem with the annoying Revcontent ads.