We Have Detected A Trojan Virus pop-ups are a social engineering attack that is developed in order to fool you into believing that your Mac has been infected with malicious software and spyware. It displays the ‘IMMEDIATE ACTION REQUIRED’ prompt states that clicking ‘Scan Now’ button will let you to take immediate action and begin the repair process.
Once you press the ‘Scan Now’, then the page imitates virus scanning and then displays a report about the threats that were detected. Of course, all of these threats are fake and you can safety ignore the false scan results. The main purpose of the “We Have Detected A Trojan Virus” scam is to force you into downloading and installing an unwanted software, adware or malware.
The full text of the “We Have Detected A Trojan Virus” pop-up is:
IMMEDIATE ACTION REQUIRED
We have detected a trojan virus (e.tre456_worm_osx) on your Mac.
Press OK to begin the repair process.
How did you get infected with “We Have Detected A Trojan Virus” popups
Some research has shown that users are redirected to “We Have Detected A Trojan Virus” scam from malicious advertisements or by potentially unwanted apps and adware. In most cases, adware installs on the MAC OS in a bundle with free applications that you downloaded and installed from the Net. Once it gets inside your Apple Mac, it will configure itself to launch automatically when the computer launch. Adware software can modify web-browser settings, reroute your browser to malicious and misleading web-sites, display unwanted pop-ups from various third-party ad networks and these unwanted ads is difficult to shut down.
Does adware steal your confidential information? Adware and PUPs can collect user info, including:
- IP addresses;
- URLs visited;
- search queries/terms;
- clicks on links and ads;
- browser version information.
|Name||“We Have Detected A Trojan Virus”|
|Type||scam, fake alerts, adware, potentially unwanted application (PUA), pop-up advertisements, Mac virus, Mac malware|
|Removal||“We Have Detected A Trojan Virus” removal guide|
How was Adware installed on your Mac
Adware and PUPs can get installed to your web-browser or Mac when you visit a webpage and click an Install button, or when you download and run a questionable program, or when you install free software that includes an adware program or PUP. Be very attentive when installing any applications and make sure you deselect any options for bundled software that you do not want.
Tips to prevent Adware and other unwanted software
To avoid Adware and PUPs, you just need to follow a few simple rules:
- select the Manual, Advanced or Custom installation mode, in this method, you may disable the installation of unwanted browser extensions, Adware and PUPs
How to Remove “We Have Detected A Trojan Virus” scam (removal guide)
To delete “We Have Detected A Trojan Virus” popup from your Mac, you must remove all suspicious software and every component that could be related to the adware software. Besides, to fix your web browser startpage, new tab and search provider, you should reset the hijacked web browsers. As soon as you’re finished with “We Have Detected A Trojan Virus” pop up removal procedure, we suggest you scan your MAC system with malicious software removal utilities listed below. It’ll complete the removal procedure on your computer.
To remove “We Have Detected A Trojan Virus”, follow the steps below:
- How to manually remove “We Have Detected A Trojan Virus”
- Use free malware removal utilities to completely delete “We Have Detected A Trojan Virus” pop up scam
- Block “We Have Detected A Trojan Virus” pop-ups and other unwanted web pages
- To sum up
How to manually remove “We Have Detected A Trojan Virus”
The step-by-step tutorial designed by our team will help you manually get rid of “We Have Detected A Trojan Virus” pop-up scam from your browser. If you have little experience in using computers, we recommend that you use the free tools listed below.
Uninstall “We Have Detected A Trojan Virus” associated software by using the Finder
Some of potentially unwanted software, adware software and browser hijackers can be removed using the ‘Move to Trash’ tool that is located in the Finder. So, if you are using any version of Mac and you have noticed an unwanted program, then first try to delete it through the Finder.
Open Finder and click “Applications”.
It will display a list of all apps installed on your machine. Scroll through the all list, and delete any suspicious and unknown applications. Right click to dubious application and select “Move to Trash”. Another method is drag the program from the Applications folder to the Trash.
Most important, scroll through the all list, and move to trash any unknown applications. Don’t forget, choose Finder -> Empty Trash.
Delete “We Have Detected A Trojan Virus” scam from Safari
By resetting Safari web browser you return your web browser settings to its default state. This is basic when troubleshooting problems that might have been caused by adware that causes “We Have Detected A Trojan Virus” scam in your web browser.
Run Safari web-browser. Next, choose Preferences from the Safari menu.
First, click the “Security” tab. Here, select “Block pop-up windows”. It will block some types of pop ups.
Now, click the “Extensions” icon. Look for questionable plugins on left panel, choose it, then click the “Uninstall” button. Most important to get rid of all dubious plugins from Safari.
Once complete, check your home page and search provider settings. Click “General” icon. Make sure that the “Homepage” field contains the website you want or is empty.
Make sure that the “Search engine” setting shows your preferred search engine. In some versions of Safari, this setting is in the “Search” tab.
Remove “We Have Detected A Trojan Virus” from Firefox by resetting browser settings
If the Mozilla Firefox web browser application is hijacked, then resetting its settings can help. The Reset feature is available on all modern version of Mozilla Firefox. A reset can fix many issues by restoring Firefox settings like home page, default search provider and new tab to their default values. Your saved bookmarks, form auto-fill information and passwords won’t be cleared or changed.
First, open the Firefox and click button. It will display the drop-down menu on the right-part of the web-browser. Further, press the Help button () as shown below.
In the Help menu, select the “Troubleshooting Information” option. Another way to open the “Troubleshooting Information” screen – type “about:support” in the web browser adress bar and press Enter. It will open the “Troubleshooting Information” page as on the image below. In the upper-right corner of this screen, press the “Refresh Firefox” button.
It will open the confirmation prompt. Further, press the “Refresh Firefox” button. The Mozilla Firefox will begin a process to fix your problems that caused by the “We Have Detected A Trojan Virus” adware. After, it’s done, click the “Finish” button.
Remove “We Have Detected A Trojan Virus” pop ups from Chrome
Reset Google Chrome settings to get rid of “We Have Detected A Trojan Virus” pop-up scam. If you are still experiencing problems with “We Have Detected A Trojan Virus” popup scam removal, you need to reset Google Chrome browser to its original settings. This step needs to be performed only if adware has not been removed by the previous steps.
- First launch the Google Chrome and press Menu button (small button in the form of three dots).
- It will open the Chrome main menu. Select More Tools, then press Extensions.
- You’ll see the list of installed addons. If the list has the extension labeled with “Installed by enterprise policy” or “Installed by your administrator”, then complete the following tutorial: Remove Chrome extensions installed by enterprise policy.
- Now open the Google Chrome menu once again, click the “Settings” menu.
- You will see the Google Chrome’s settings page. Scroll down and press “Advanced” link.
- Scroll down again and press the “Reset” button.
- The Chrome will display the reset profile settings page as shown on the image above.
- Next click the “Reset” button.
- Once this procedure is complete, your web browser’s newtab, start page and search provider will be restored to their original defaults.
- To learn more, read the article How to reset Chrome settings to default.
Use free malware removal utilities to completely delete “We Have Detected A Trojan Virus” pop up scam
Using a malicious software removal tool to search for and remove adware hiding on your machine is probably the simplest solution to remove the “We Have Detected A Trojan Virus” scam. We recommends the MalwareBytes AntiMalware (MBAM) utility for Apple Mac Apple Macs. It is the anti malware application for Mac OS that offers a free malicious software removal.
How to automatically get rid of “We Have Detected A Trojan Virus” with MalwareBytes Anti Malware (MBAM)
We advise using the MalwareBytes Free. You can download and install MalwareBytes Free to scan for adware and thereby delete “We Have Detected A Trojan Virus” pop up scam from your browsers. When installed and updated, this free malware remover automatically detects and removes all threats present on the MAC OS.
- MalwareBytes Anti Malware can be downloaded from the following link.
Malwarebytes Anti-malware (Mac)
Category: Security tools
Update: September 10, 2020
- After the downloading process is done, close all software and windows on your machine. Open a file location. Run the downloaded file and follow the prompts.
- Click the “Scan” button . MalwareBytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) tool will start scanning the whole machine to find out adware responsible for “We Have Detected A Trojan Virus” popups. A scan can take anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes, depending on the number of files on your MAC system and the speed of your machine. While the tool is scanning, you may see how many objects and files has already scanned.
- Once that process is complete, MalwareBytes AntiMalware (MBAM) will open a list of detected items. Review the report and then click “Remove Selected Items”.
Block “We Have Detected A Trojan Virus” pop-ups and other unwanted web pages
If you surf the Internet, you can’t avoid malvertising. But you can protect your internet browser against it. Download and use an ad blocking program. AdGuard is an ad-blocker that can filter out a lot of of the malicious advertising, stoping dynamic scripts from loading harmful content.
- Click the link below to download the latest version of AdGuard for Apple Mac.
AdGuard for Mac download
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: January 17, 2018
- When downloading is done, launch the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” program window. Follow the prompts.
- Once the installation is done, press “Skip” to close the installation program and use the default settings, or click “Get Started” to see an quick tutorial that will allow you get to know AdGuard better.
- In most cases, the default settings are enough and you don’t need to change anything. Each time, when you launch your MAC OS, AdGuard will run automatically and stop annoying advertisements, block “We Have Detected A Trojan Virus” scam, as well as other harmful or misleading webpages.
To sum up
Now your Apple Mac should be clean of the adware that causes multiple annoying pop-ups. We suggest that you keep AdGuard (to help you stop unwanted pop ups and unwanted malicious web pages) and MalwareBytes AntiMalware (MBAM) (to periodically scan your MAC system for new adware softwares and other malware).
If you are still having problems while trying to delete “We Have Detected A Trojan Virus” pop ups from the Firefox, Google Chrome and Safari, then ask for help here here.