Q. Will damage your computer. You should move it to the Trash. pop up help. Just started yesterday I believe. These messages appear unexpectedly every few minutes. I can’t do anything! I think the reason for these messages is some kind of malware. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Full text of the message:
*** will damage your computer. You should move it to the Trash.
This file was downloaded on an unknown date.
Report malware to Apple to protect other users.
A. We have investigated this issue and it appears to be PUA (potentially unwanted program) or Adware is probably installed on your Mac. The Mac OS detects attempts to take potentially malicious actions, blocks it and displays the message that you see. What is PUA and Adware? It is a type of harmful programs. It can display unwanted advertisements, change Mac settings, download and install other unwanted software and browser extensions. Even worse, adware and PUA can have spyware and keyloggers built into the program, leading to greater damage to your MAC OS and possible invasion of your confidential data.
|Name||Will damage your computer. You should move it to the Trash (Bin). pop-up alert|
|Type||adware, PUP (potentially unwanted program), PUA, Mac virus, Mac malware|
|Removal||Will damage your computer removal guide|
The most popular method to get PUA and Adware is freeware setup file. In most cases, a user have a chance to disable all included ‘offers’, but certain setup files are designed to confuse the average users, in order to trick them into installing potentially unwanted applications and adware. Anyway, easier to prevent adware rather than clean up your machine after one. So, keep your web browser updated (turn on automatic updates), run good antivirus applications, double check free applications before you open it (do a google search, scan a downloaded file with VirusTotal), avoid shady and unknown web-pages.
Perform the guide below to clean your machine from adware and PUAs, as unwanted applications can be a way to hijack your system with more malicious programs such as viruses and trojans. The step-by-step guide which follow, I’ll show you how to delete unwanted software and thus get rid of “Will damage your computer” pop-ups forever.
How to remove “Will damage your computer” pop-ups from Mac (Virus removal guide)
According to cyber threat analysts, “Will damage your computer” pop-up removal can be finished manually and/or automatically. These utilities which are listed below will allow you remove PUPs, adware software, harmful web-browser add-ons, malicious software and PUAs . However, if you are not willing to install other software, then use following instructions to return your computer settings to their previous states.
To remove “Will damage your computer” pop-up, execute the steps below:
- How to remove unwanted software manually
- Remove Will damage your computer adware with free applications
- How to stay safe online
- Finish words
How to remove unwanted software manually
The following instructions is a step-by-step guide, which will help you manually delete “Will damage your computer. You should move it to the Trash.” pop-up from your Mac. If you do not want to delete adware in the manually due to the fact that you are an unskilled computer user, then you can run free removal utilities listed below.
Check the list of installed applications first
First, you should try to identify and remove PUA that causes the appearance of “Will damage your computer” pop-ups using the ‘Applications’ list that located in the Finder.
- Open the Finder.
- Click “Applications”.
- It will show a list of all applications installed on the MAC.
- Scroll through the all list, and uninstall questionable and unknown software. Pay maximum attention to the program you installed last.
- Drag the questionable application from the Applications folder to the Trash.
- Empty Trash.
Remove Will damage your computer adware software from Google Chrome
Reset Google Chrome will assist you to restore web browser settings changed by adware and PUAs. All undesired, malicious and ‘ad-supported’ addons will also be disabled. It will save your personal information such as saved passwords, bookmarks, auto-fill data and open tabs.
- First run the Chrome and click Menu button (small button in the form of three dots).
- It will display the Chrome main menu. Choose More Tools, then click Extensions.
- You’ll see the list of installed plugins. If the list has the plugin labeled with “Installed by enterprise policy” or “Installed by your administrator”, then complete the following instructions: Remove Chrome extensions installed by enterprise policy.
- Now open the Google Chrome menu once again, click the “Settings” menu.
- You will see the Google Chrome’s settings page. Scroll down and press “Advanced” link.
- Scroll down again and press the “Reset” button.
- The Google Chrome will display the reset profile settings page as on the image above.
- Next click the “Reset” button.
- Once this task is complete, your web browser’s home page, newtab and search engine will be restored to their original defaults.
- To learn more, read the post How to reset Chrome settings to default.
Delete Will damage your computer adware from Mozilla Firefox by resetting web browser settings
If the Firefox web-browser is hijacked, then resetting its settings can help. The Reset feature is available on all modern version of Firefox. A reset can fix many issues by restoring Mozilla Firefox settings such as home page, search provider by default and new tab page to their original settings. Your saved bookmarks, form auto-fill information and passwords won’t be cleared or changed.
Press the Menu button (looks like three horizontal lines), and click the blue Help icon located at the bottom of the drop down menu as displayed in the following example.
A small menu will appear, press the “Troubleshooting Information”. On this page, press “Refresh Firefox” button like below.
Follow the onscreen procedure to return your Mozilla Firefox internet browser settings to their default state.
Remove Will damage your computer adware from Safari
The Safari reset is great if your browser is hijacked or you have unwanted extensions (toolbars) on your web-browser, that installed by malware.
Click Safari menu and choose “Preferences”.
It will open the Safari Preferences window. Next, click the “Extensions” tab. Look for unknown and suspicious extensions on left panel, select it, then press the “Uninstall” button. Most important to remove all unknown extensions from Safari.
Once complete, click “General” tab. Change the “Default Search Engine” to Google.
Find the “Homepage” and type into textfield “https://www.google.com”.
Remove Will damage your computer adware with free applications
If you’re unsure how to remove “Will damage your computer. You should move it to the Trash.” pop-up easily, consider using automatic adware removal apps that listed below. It will identify PUAs, adware, browser hijackers and remove it from your MAC for free.
Run MalwareBytes Anti Malware to remove Will damage your computer adware
Get rid of unwanted software manually is difficult and often PUAs is not completely removed. Therefore, we suggest you to run the MalwareBytes that are completely clean your machine. Moreover, this free program will help you to get rid of malware, toolbars and browser hijacker that your Mac can be infected too.
Click the link below to download MalwareBytes Anti Malware.
Category: Security tools
Update: July 10, 2018
Once downloading is finished, close all applications and windows on your MAC system. Open a directory in which you saved it. Run the saved file and follow the prompts.
Once setup is finished, you’ll see window like below.
Now click the “Scan” button to detect adware and PUAs which causes the “Will damage your computer” pop-ups. This task can take some time, so please be patient. While the MalwareBytes tool is checking, you can see how many objects it has identified as being infected by malware.
After that process is finished, MalwareBytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) will show a scan report. When you’re ready, click “Remove Selected Items” button.
How to stay safe online
If you surf the World Wide Web, you cannot avoid malvertising. But you can protect your internet browser against it. Download and use an ad-blocking program. AdGuard is an ad blocking that can filter out a large number of of the malvertising, stoping dynamic scripts from loading malicious content.
- Installing the AdGuard is simple. First you will need to download AdGuard by clicking on the following link.
AdGuard for Mac download
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: January 17, 2018
- After the download is finished, run the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” program window. Follow the prompts.
- After the installation is done, click “Skip” to close the setup program and use the default settings, or press “Get Started” to see an quick tutorial that will assist you get to know AdGuard better.
- In most cases, the default settings are enough and you do not need to change anything. Each time, when you run your Apple Mac, AdGuard will launch automatically and stop unwanted advertisements, block harmful or misleading web-pages.
Now your Apple Mac should be free of adware and PUAs. We suggest that you keep MalwareBytes (to periodically scan your MAC OS for new adwares and other malware) and AdGuard (to help you block undesired advertisements and malicious web-sites). Moreover, to prevent any adware, please stay clear of unknown and third party apps.
If you need more help with “Will damage your computer” related issues, go to here.