What is Ursnif Trojan? Ursnif Trojan also known as “Ursnif banking trojan” is a malicious software. It can change MS Windows OS and web-browsers settings, download and install other malicious software. Moreover, this virus can give a remote access to your computer, send information about your computer to a remote malicious hacker, redirect your web-browser to malicious, misleading and spam web sites, use your PC system for click fraud and other dangerous and harmful actions. On current date, the Ursnif Trojan continues to increase the number of PCs which have been infected.
Once started, the Ursnif virus makes changes to the PC system settings and configures itself so as to run automatically each time the computer is turned on. Immediately after startup, this malware begins to monitor the user’s actions. It can gather your private info, including:
- banking and online account credentials;
- IP addresses;
- URLs visited;
- search queries/terms;
- clicks on links and ads;
- internet browser version information.
To find out how to get rid of Ursnif Trojan, we recommend to read the tutorial added to this blog post below. The instructions was prepared by experienced security specialists who discovered a solution to remove this virus out of the personal computer.
Remove Ursnif Trojan (Virus removal guidance)
Fortunately, we have an effective method that will assist you manually or/and automatically remove Ursnif Trojan from your system and bring your system settings back to normal. Below you will find a removal tutorial with all the steps you may need to successfully get rid of this virus and its traces. Read it once, after doing so, please print this page as you may need to close your browser or reboot your machine.
To remove Ursnif Trojan, complete the following steps:
- Uninstall suspicious applications through the Control Panel of your computer
- Run Zemana to remove Ursnif Trojan
- Remove Ursnif banking trojan with Hitman Pro
- Use Malwarebytes to remove Ursnif virus
- Get rid of Ursnif Trojan from Microsoft Internet Explorer
- Get rid of Ursnif Trojan from Firefox
- Remove Ursnif Trojan from Google Chrome
- Use AdBlocker to stay safe online
- Finish words
Uninstall suspicious applications through the Control Panel of your computer
First, go to Microsoft Windows Control Panel and delete dubious programs, all applications you do not remember installing. It’s important to pay the most attention to programs you installed just before Ursnif virus appeared on your internet browser. If you do not know what a program does, look for the answer on the Internet.
Press Windows button , then click Search . Type “Control panel”and press Enter. If you using Windows XP or Windows 7, then click “Start” and select “Control Panel”. It will show the Windows Control Panel as on the image below.
Further, press “Uninstall a program”
It will show a list of all apps installed on your personal computer. Scroll through the all list, and uninstall any questionable and unknown software.
Run Zemana to remove Ursnif Trojan
We recommend you to use the Zemana Anti-Malware which are completely clean your computer. Moreover, the utility will help you to remove potentially unwanted applications, malicious software, toolbars and ad-supported software that your system can be infected too.
- Click the link below to download Zemana Free. Save it to your Desktop.
Author: Zemana Ltd
Category: Security tools
Update: July 16, 2019
- At the download page, click on the Download button. Your web-browser will show the “Save as” dialog box. Please save it onto your Windows desktop.
- Once downloading is finished, please close all software and open windows on your PC. Next, run a file called Zemana.AntiMalware.Setup.
- This will start the “Setup wizard” of Zemana Free onto your system. Follow the prompts and don’t make any changes to default settings.
- When the Setup wizard has finished installing, the Zemana Anti Malware (ZAM) will launch and display the main window.
- Further, click the “Scan” button to detect the Ursnif Trojan and other malicious software and potentially unwanted applications. Depending on your computer, the scan can take anywhere from a few minutes to close to an hour.
- After finished, you can check all threats found on your system.
- Review the results once the utility has finished the system scan. If you think an entry should not be quarantined, then uncheck it. Otherwise, simply click the “Next” button. The utility will remove the Ursnif Trojan related files, folders and registry keys and move items to the program’s quarantine. After disinfection is finished, you may be prompted to restart the PC.
- Close the Zemana Anti Malware and continue with the next step.
Remove Ursnif banking trojan with Hitman Pro
HitmanPro is a removal tool that may be downloaded and use to remove hijackers, ad-supported software, malware, PUPs, toolbars and other threats from your computer. You can use this tool to search for threats even if you have an antivirus or any other security program.
- Visit the page linked below to download the latest version of HitmanPro for Microsoft Windows. Save it on your MS Windows desktop.
Category: Security tools
Update: June 28, 2018
- Once the downloading process is complete, double click the HitmanPro icon. Once this tool is opened, click “Next” button to perform a system scan with this utility for the Ursnif Trojan related files, folders and registry keys. This process may take quite a while, so please be patient. When a threat is found, the count of the security threats will change accordingly. Wait until the the scanning is done.
- Once the scan get completed, the results are displayed in the scan report. You may remove items (move to Quarantine) by simply press “Next” button. Now press the “Activate free license” button to begin the free 30 days trial to delete all malicious software found.
Use Malwarebytes to remove Ursnif virus
Remove Ursnif virus manually is difficult and often the virus is not completely removed. Therefore, we advise you to run the Malwarebytes Free that are completely clean your computer. Moreover, the free program will help you to remove malicious software, potentially unwanted software, toolbars and adware that your machine can be infected too.
Please go to the link below to download the latest version of MalwareBytes AntiMalware for Windows. Save it to your Desktop so that you can access the file easily.
Category: Security tools
Update: April 15, 2020
When the download is finished, close all windows on your computer. Further, run the file named mb3-setup. If the “User Account Control” dialog box pops up as on the image below, click the “Yes” button.
It will display the “Setup wizard” which will help you setup MalwareBytes on the PC system. Follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
Once setup is complete successfully, click Finish button. Then MalwareBytes will automatically start and you may see its main window as shown below.
Next, click the “Scan Now” button to begin checking your PC system for the Ursnif virus related files, folders and registry keys. This procedure can take quite a while, so please be patient. While the utility is checking, you can see how many objects and files has already scanned.
Once that process is finished, MalwareBytes AntiMalware will display a scan report. Next, you need to press “Quarantine Selected” button.
The MalwareBytes will remove the Ursnif virus and other security threats and move threats to the program’s quarantine. After disinfection is done, you can be prompted to restart your personal computer. We suggest you look at the following video, which completely explains the procedure of using the MalwareBytes AntiMalware to delete hijacker infections, adware and other malware.
Get rid of Ursnif Trojan from Microsoft Internet Explorer
If you find that Microsoft Internet Explorer web browser settings had been hijacked by the Ursnif virus, then you may restore your settings, via the reset browser process.
First, start the IE, then click ‘gear’ icon . It will show the Tools drop-down menu on the right part of the web-browser, then click the “Internet Options” as shown in the figure below.
In the “Internet Options” screen, select the “Advanced” tab, then press the “Reset” button. The Internet Explorer will show the “Reset Internet Explorer settings” prompt. Further, press the “Delete personal settings” check box to select it. Next, press the “Reset” button like below.
Once the task is complete, click “Close” button. Close the Internet Explorer and restart your personal computer for the changes to take effect. This step will help you to restore your web-browser’s newtab page, search engine and start page to default state.
Get rid of Ursnif Trojan from Firefox
If Firefox internet browser settings are infected by the Ursnif Trojan, then ‘Reset Mozilla Firefox’ could solve this problem. It will save your personal information like saved passwords, bookmarks, auto-fill data and open tabs.
Click the Menu button (looks like three horizontal lines), and click the blue Help icon located at the bottom of the drop down menu as on the image below.
A small menu will appear, click the “Troubleshooting Information”. On this page, click “Refresh Firefox” button as shown in the figure below.
Follow the onscreen procedure to revert back your Mozilla Firefox browser settings to their default state.
Remove Ursnif Trojan from Google Chrome
If your Google Chrome web browser settings are altered by Ursnif Trojan, it may be necessary to completely reset your browser program to its original state.
- First, launch the Google Chrome and press the Menu icon (icon in the form of three dots).
- It will display the Google Chrome main menu. Choose More Tools, then click Extensions.
- You’ll see the list of installed plugins. If the list has the plugin labeled with “Installed by enterprise policy” or “Installed by your administrator”, then complete the following steps: Remove Chrome extensions installed by enterprise policy.
- Now open the Chrome menu once again, press the “Settings” menu.
- Next, click “Advanced” link, that located at the bottom of the Settings page.
- On the bottom of the “Advanced settings” page, press the “Reset settings to their original defaults” button.
- The Chrome will show the reset settings prompt as on the image above.
- Confirm the internet browser’s reset by clicking on the “Reset” button.
- To learn more, read the blog post How to reset Chrome settings to default.
Use AdBlocker to stay safe online
In order to increase your security and protect your system against intrusive advertisements and harmful web-pages, you need to run ad-blocking application that stops an access to harmful ads and web-pages. Moreover, the program may stop the display of intrusive advertising, that also leads to faster loading of sites and reduce the consumption of web traffic.
- Installing the AdGuard is simple. First you will need to download AdGuard on your system from the link below.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: November 15, 2018
- When the download is finished, start the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” program window. Follow the prompts.
- Once the install is complete, press “Skip” to close the install program and use the default settings, or press “Get Started” to see an quick tutorial that will help you get to know AdGuard better.
- In most cases, the default settings are enough and you do not need to change anything. Each time, when you run your computer, AdGuard will run automatically and block unwanted pop-up advertisements, as well as other harmful or misleading pages. For an overview of all the features of the application, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the icon named AdGuard, that can be found on your desktop.
Now your personal computer should be clean of the Ursnif Trojan. We suggest that you keep Zemana Free (to periodically scan your machine for new malware and other security threats) and AdGuard (to help you stop annoying pop-up advertisements and malicious pages). Moreover, to prevent any malware, please stay clear of unknown and third party applications, make sure that your antivirus application, turn on the option to scan for potentially unwanted software.
If you need more help with Ursnif banking trojan related issues, go to here.