What is Desktop Weather? The Desktop Weather is an unwanted program (PUP). Computer security specialists has determined that this program is an ‘ad-supported’ software (also known as adware). The unwanted programs like the Desktop Weather usually gets installed alongside free software, codecs and shareware. Aside from causing redirects, the Desktop Weather adware also can open a large number of pop-up advertisements, slow down the PC system and continually collect lots of privacy info.
Technically, the adware is not a virus, but it does bad things, it generates a huge number of pop-up ads. It may download and install on to your PC other malicious and undesired programs without your permission, force you to visit misleading or harmful web pages. Moreover, the adware can install internet browser hijacker. Once installed, it will modify your browser setting like search engine by default, newtab page and startpage with an undesired web page.
The ad supported software can modify the settings of the Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, FF and Microsoft Edge, but often that a malicious software like this can also infect all types of browsers by modifying their desktop shortcuts. Thus forcing the user each time open the browser to see the unwanted Desktop Weather web site.
We suggest you to remove ‘ad supported’ software and clean your PC system from Desktop Weather popups as quickly as possible, until the presence of the ad supported software has not led to even worse consequences. You need to follow the guidance below that will help you to completely remove the redirect to Desktop Weather undesired web-site, using only the built-in Microsoft Windows features and several free malicious software removal utilities of well-known antivirus software companies.
Remove Desktop Weather from Windows 10 (8, 7, XP)
We can assist you delete Desktop Weather from your web-browsers, without the need to take your machine to a professional. Simply follow the removal steps below if you currently have the intrusive adware on your personal computer and want to remove it. If you have any difficulty while trying to remove the Desktop Weather ‘ad supported’ software that cause undesired pop up ads to appear, feel free to ask for our help in the comment section below. Some of the steps below will require you to exit this site. So, please read the guide carefully, after that bookmark or print it for later reference.
To remove Desktop Weather, execute the following steps:
- How to remove Desktop Weather ad supported software without any software
- Removing the Desktop Weather, check the list of installed applications first
- Clean up the internet browsers shortcuts which have been hijacked by adware
- Remove unwanted Scheduled Tasks
- Delete Desktop Weather from FF by resetting browser settings
- Remove Desktop Weather from Chrome
- Remove Desktop Weather ad supported software from Internet Explorer
- How to delete Desktop Weather ad supported software with free programs
- Use AdBlocker to stay safe online
- How to prevent Desktop Weather from getting inside your computer
- To sum up
How to remove Desktop Weather ad supported software without any software
The instructions will help you get rid of Desktop Weather . These Desktop Weather removal steps work for the Chrome, Internet Explorer, Firefox and MS Edge, as well as every version of Windows operating system.
Removing the Desktop Weather, check the list of installed applications first
It is of primary importance to first identify and remove all potentially unwanted software, ‘ad supported’ software applications and hijackers through ‘Add/Remove Programs’ (Windows XP) or ‘Uninstall a program’ (Windows 10, 8, 7) section of your Microsoft Windows Control Panel.
Windows 8, 8.1, 10
Once the ‘Control Panel’ opens, click the ‘Uninstall a program’ link under Programs category as displayed below.
You will see the ‘Uninstall a program’ panel as on the image below.
Very carefully look around the entire list of programs installed on your system. Most likely, one of them is the Desktop Weather adware which redirects your browser to intrusive ad web pages. If you have many software installed, you can help simplify the search of harmful apps by sort the list by date of installation. Once you have found a suspicious, unwanted or unused program, right click to it, after that click ‘Uninstall’.
Windows XP, Vista, 7
Once the Windows ‘Control Panel’ opens, you need to click ‘Uninstall a program’ under ‘Programs’ as displayed in the following example.
You will see a list of programs installed on your computer. We recommend to sort the list by date of installation to quickly find the applications that were installed last. Most probably, it’s the Desktop Weather that causes web browsers to open undesired pop-up advertisements. If you’re in doubt, you can always check the application by doing a search for her name in Google, Yahoo or Bing. When the application which you need to delete is found, simply press on its name, and then click ‘Uninstall’ as shown on the image below.
Clean up the internet browsers shortcuts which have been hijacked by adware
After installed, this Desktop Weather adware that developed to redirect your web browser to various ad web sites, may add an argument like “http://site.address” into the Target property of the desktop shortcut for the Google Chrome, Firefox, IE and Microsoft Edge. Due to this, every time you launch the browser, it will open an undesired ad web page.
Right click on the shortcut of affected web browser as displayed in the figure below.
Select the “Properties” option and it will open the shortcut’s properties. Next, click the “Shortcut” tab and then delete the “http://site.address” string from Target field as shown in the figure below.
Then press OK to save changes. Repeat the step for all browsers which are re-directed to the Desktop Weather unwanted web page.
Remove unwanted Scheduled Tasks
Once installed, the adware can add a task in to the Windows Task Scheduler Library. Due to this, every time when you launch your PC system, it will display the Desktop Weather undesired ads. So, you need to check the Task Scheduler Library and remove all harmful tasks which have been created by adware.
Press Windows and R keys on the keyboard simultaneously. This shows a prompt that titled with Run. In the text field, type “taskschd.msc” (without the quotes) and click OK. Task Scheduler window opens. In the left-hand side, press “Task Scheduler Library”, as shown on the screen below.
In the middle part you will see a list of installed tasks. Please select the first task, its properties will be show just below automatically. Next, press the Actions tab. Pay attention to that it launches on your PC system. If you are not sure that executes the task, check it through a search engine. If it is a component of the ‘ad-supported’ application, then this task also should be removed.
Having defined the task that you want to get rid of, then press on it with the right mouse button and choose Delete as shown below.
Repeat this step, if you have found a few tasks that have been created by malicious apps. Once is finished, close the Task Scheduler window.
Delete Desktop Weather from FF by resetting browser settings
The Firefox reset will keep your personal information like bookmarks, passwords, web form auto-fill data, restore preferences and security settings, get rid of redirects to undesired Desktop Weather ads.
First, start the Mozilla Firefox. Next, press the button in the form of three horizontal stripes (). It will display the drop-down menu. Next, click the Help button ().
In the Help menu click the “Troubleshooting Information”. In the upper-right corner of the “Troubleshooting Information” page press on “Refresh Firefox” button as shown on the image below.
Confirm your action, click the “Refresh Firefox”.
Remove Desktop Weather from Chrome
Reset Chrome settings is a simple way to remove the adware, harmful and adware extensions, as well as to recover the internet browser’s startpage, new tab page and search engine by default that have been replaced by Desktop Weather that causes a large amount of unwanted pop-up advertisements.
First open the Google Chrome. Next, click the button in the form of three horizontal dots ().
It will open the Chrome menu. Select More Tools, then press Extensions. Carefully browse through the list of installed extensions. If the list has the extension signed with “Installed by enterprise policy” or “Installed by your administrator”, then complete the following guidance: Remove Google Chrome extensions installed by enterprise policy.
Open the Chrome menu once again. Further, press the option called “Settings”.
The browser will open the settings screen. Another solution to show the Google Chrome’s settings – type chrome://settings in the internet browser adress bar and press Enter
Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click the “Advanced” link. Now scroll down until the “Reset” section is visible, as shown in the figure below and click the “Reset settings to their original defaults” button.
The Google Chrome will display the confirmation dialog box as on the image below.
You need to confirm your action, click the “Reset” button. The web browser will start the process of cleaning. When it is complete, the web browser’s settings including search provider by default, start page and newtab back to the values which have been when the Google Chrome was first installed on your computer.
Remove Desktop Weather ad supported software from Internet Explorer
In order to recover all web-browser search provider by default, start page and newtab you need to reset the Internet Explorer to the state, that was when the MS Windows was installed on your computer.
First, launch the Microsoft Internet Explorer. Next, click the button in the form of gear (). It will show the Tools drop-down menu, press the “Internet Options” as shown on the screen below.
In the “Internet Options” window click on the Advanced tab, then press the Reset button. The IE will show the “Reset Internet Explorer settings” window as displayed on the screen below. Select the “Delete personal settings” check box, then click “Reset” button.
You will now need to restart your personal computer for the changes to take effect.
How to delete Desktop Weather ad supported software with free programs
There are not many good free anti-malware programs with high detection ratio. The effectiveness of malicious software removal tools depends on various factors, mostly on how often their virus/malware signatures DB are updated in order to effectively detect modern malware, ad-supported software, browser hijackers and other potentially unwanted apps. We advise to use several programs, not just one. These applications that listed below will allow you remove all components of the adware from your disk and Windows registry and thereby remove Desktop Weather ads.
Remove Desktop Weather adware with Zemana Anti-malware
You can remove Desktop Weather adware automatically with a help of Zemana Anti-malware. We suggest this malicious software removal utility because it may easily delete hijacker infections, potentially unwanted programs, ‘ad supported’ software which redirects your browser to Desktop Weather ads with all their components such as folders, files and registry entries.
Visit the following page to download the latest version of Zemana Free for Windows. Save it on your Windows desktop or in any other place.
Author: Zemana Ltd
Category: Security tools
Update: July 16, 2019
Once the downloading process is finished, close all apps and windows on your PC. Double-click the setup file named Zemana.AntiMalware.Setup. If the “User Account Control” prompt pops up as shown on the screen below, click the “Yes” button.
It will open the “Setup wizard” that will help you set up Zemana on your PC system. Follow the prompts and don’t make any changes to default settings.
Once setup is done successfully, Zemana Anti Malware will automatically start and you can see its main screen as shown on the image below.
Now click the “Scan” button to perform a system scan for the Desktop Weather adware that cause unwanted pop-ups to appear. Depending on your PC, the scan can take anywhere from a few minutes to close to an hour. When a threat is detected, the number of the security threats will change accordingly.
When the checking is finished, Zemana will display a list of detected items. Next, you need to press “Next” button. The Zemana Anti-Malware will remove Desktop Weather which redirects your browser to unwanted ad web pages and move items to the program’s quarantine. After disinfection is finished, you may be prompted to reboot the computer.
How to automatically remove Desktop Weather with Malwarebytes
We recommend using the Malwarebytes Free that are completely clean your system of the ad-supported software. The free utility is an advanced malware removal application designed by (c) Malwarebytes lab. This program uses the world’s most popular anti malware technology. It’s able to help you delete undesired Desktop Weather from your web browsers, potentially unwanted programs, malicious software, browser hijacker infections, toolbars, ransomware and other security threats from your system for free.
- Download MalwareBytes Anti Malware from the following link. Save it to your Desktop so that you can access the file easily.
Category: Security tools
Update: July 25, 2019
- At the download page, click on the Download button. Your web browser will display the “Save as” dialog box. Please save it onto your Windows desktop.
- When the download is finished, please close all apps and open windows on your personal computer. Double-click on the icon that’s named mb3-setup.
- This will run the “Setup wizard” of MalwareBytes Anti-Malware onto your computer. Follow the prompts and don’t make any changes to default settings.
- When the Setup wizard has finished installing, the MalwareBytes AntiMalware will launch and display the main window.
- Further, press the “Scan Now” button . MalwareBytes program will scan through the whole computer for the Desktop Weather ad supported software that cause unwanted ads to appear. A scan may take anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes, depending on the number of files on your computer and the speed of your machine. While the MalwareBytes utility is checking, you can see how many objects it has identified as being affected by malicious software.
- After MalwareBytes AntiMalware has completed scanning your PC system, MalwareBytes AntiMalware (MBAM) will display a scan report.
- Make sure all threats have ‘checkmark’ and press the “Quarantine Selected” button. After the task is finished, you may be prompted to reboot the machine.
- Close the AntiMalware and continue with the next step.
Video instruction, which reveals in detail the steps above.
Scan and clean your machine of ‘ad supported’ software with AdwCleaner
AdwCleaner is a portable utility that finds and uninstalls unwanted apps like hijacker infections, adware, toolbars, other web browser plugins and other malware. It scans your PC system for Desktop Weather adware that reroutes your browser to intrusive ad web sites and produces a list of items marked for removal. AdwCleaner will only erase those unwanted software that you wish to be removed.
- Please go to the following link to download the latest version of AdwCleaner for Microsoft Windows. Save it to your Desktop so that you can access the file easily.
Author: Xplode, MalwareBytes
Category: Security tools
Update: March 2, 2020
- Once the downloading process is finished, double click the AdwCleaner icon. Once this utility is launched, click “Scan” button for checking your computer for the Desktop Weather adware which redirects your internet browser to intrusive ad pages. A scan can take anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes, depending on the count of files on your computer and the speed of your PC system. While the utility is scanning, you may see how many objects and files has already scanned.
- Once the checking is finished, the results are displayed in the scan report. You may move threats to Quarantine (all selected by default) by simply click “Clean” button. It will open a prompt, press “OK”.
These few simple steps are shown in detail in the following video guide.
Use AdBlocker to stay safe online
If you surf the Internet, you can’t avoid malvertising. But you can protect your internet browser against it. Download and use an adblocker program. AdGuard is an adblocker which can filter out lots of of the malicious advertising, blocking dynamic scripts from loading harmful content.
- Download AdGuard program by clicking on the link below. Save it directly to your Windows Desktop.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: November 15, 2018
- When the downloading process is finished, launch the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” program window. Follow the prompts.
- After the installation is finished, press “Skip” to close the installation program and use the default settings, or click “Get Started” to see an quick tutorial which will assist you get to know AdGuard better.
- In most cases, the default settings are enough and you don’t need to change anything. Each time, when you launch your machine, AdGuard will start automatically and block pop-up advertisements, as well as other malicious or misleading sites. For an overview of all the features of the application, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the icon called AdGuard, that is located on your desktop.
How to prevent Desktop Weather from getting inside your computer
To sum up
Now your PC should be clean of the Desktop Weather ad-supported software that reroutes your web-browser to annoying ad web sites. Remove AdwCleaner. We suggest that you keep AdGuard (to help you stop unwanted advertisements and unwanted harmful pages) and Zemana Anti-Malware (ZAM) (to periodically scan your computer for new malware, browser hijackers and adware). Make sure that you have all the Critical Updates recommended for Windows OS. Without regular updates you WILL NOT be protected when new adwares, malicious programs and adware are released.
If you are still having problems while trying to remove Desktop Weather adware from your web-browser, then ask for help in our Spyware/Malware removal forum.