If your antivirus detects Adware/Elex then it indicates that your computer is infected with a previously unknown potentially unwanted program (PUP). This unwanted software usually come with some freeware or from malicious websites that ask users to download and run a Flash Player or Java update. Once started, the Adware/Elex will be configured to start automatically when Windows starts. The unwanted software may display large number unwanted popups, inject ads into web-pages that you are opening in the Internet browser, hijack the web-browser’s settings such as homepage and search engine, and so on.
If you find that your antivirus detects the Adware/Elex threat, then don’t wait, follow the step-by-step guide below which will help to remove Adware/Elex and any associated malware for free.
Common symptoms of Adware/Elex
If you still are not sure that your computer is infected with this parasite, then check your computer for the common symptoms of the infection:
- Your browser displays banner ads where previously you have never seen.
- Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Microsoft Internet Explorer (Edge) shows a lot of annoying advertisements.
- Web browser’s settings such as homepage and default search engine are hijacked
- Your an antivirus or antispyware software detects an infection.
- Internet connection may be slow.
How to remove Adware/Elex
The following instructions is a step-by-step guide, which will help you manually remove Adware/Elex and clean your computer. Read it once, after doing so, please print or bookmark this page as you may need to close your web-browser or reboot your system.
- Scan your computer with MalwareBytes Anti-malware
- Scan your computer with AdwCleaner
- Scan your computer with Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool
- Disinfect browser’s shortcuts
- Reset web-browser’s settings
- Protect your computer from annoying ads and malicious sites
Scan your computer with MalwareBytes Anti-malware
You can get rid of Adware/Elex automatically with a help of Malwarebytes Free. We recommend this free malware removal tool because it can easily remove ‘ad-supported’ software, browser hijackers, potentially unwanted applications and toolbars with all their components such as files, folders and registry entries.
Download Malwarebytes Free on your system by clicking on the link below. Save it on your Desktop.
Category: Security tools
Update: April 15, 2020
After the download is finished, close all windows on your system. Further, run the file named mb3-setup. If the “User Account Control” dialog box pops up as shown in the following image, click the Yes button.
It will display the “Setup wizard” that will help you install Malwarebytes on the PC system. Follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
When the install is done successfully, press Finish button. Then Malwarebytes will automatically start and you can see its main window as shown on the screen below.
Next, press the “Scan Now” button to begin scanning your computer for the malware, adware and Adware/Elex unwanted software. When a threat is found, the number of the detected objects will change accordingly. Wait until the the scanning is finished. Please be patient.
When the system scan is done, you can check all threats detected on your PC system. Make sure all entries have “checkmark” and click “Quarantine Selected” button.
The Malwarebytes will start removing malware, adware and the Adware/Elex potentially unwanted program. Once the disinfection is complete, you may be prompted to restart your system. I recommend you look at the following video, which completely explains the procedure of using the Malwarebytes to remove adware and other dangerous programs.
Scan your computer with AdwCleaner
If MalwareBytes Anti-malware cannot remove Adware/Elex, then we suggests to use the AdwCleaner. AdwCleaner is a free removal tool for adware, browser hijackers, PUPs, toolbars.
- Download AdwCleaner using the link below. AdwCleaner download
Author: Xplode, MalwareBytes
Category: Security tools
Update: July 23, 2020
- Double click the AdwCleaner icon. Once the utility is started the main screen will appear as shown on the image above.
- Now, press the “Scan” button . This will begin scanning the whole computer to find out Adware/Elex.
- Once the scanning is finished, AdwCleaner will display a scan report. Review the report and then click “Clean” button. It will display a dialog box, click “OK” button.
The following video explains the step-by-step instructions above on how to remove adware with AdwCleaner.
Scan your computer with Kaspersky virus removal tool
Kaspersky virus removal tool is a well-known free security tool. It uses the Kaspersky Anti-Virus engine to detect and remove viruses, trojans and malware.
- Download Kaspersky virus removal tool from the following link and save it directly to your Windows Desktop.
Kaspersky virus removal tool
Author: Kaspersky® lab
Category: Security tools
Update: March 5, 2018
- Double-click on the KVRT icon found on your desktop. Once initialization process is finished, you will see the Kaspersky virus removal tool screen.
- Click Change Parameters and set a check near all your drives. Click OK to close the Parameters window.
- Press Start scan button. Kaspersky virus removal tool will now start scanning your computer for known infections. This procedure can take some time, so please be patient.
- When KVRT has finished scanning, click on Continue to start a cleaning process.
Disinfect browser’s shortcuts
The Adware/Elex may also change a desktop shortcut for Chrome, Firefox and IE. Due to this, every time you start the browser, it will open an unwanted web-site.
To clear a browser shortcut, right-click to it and select Properties. On the Shortcut tab, locate the Target field. Click inside, you will see a vertical line – arrow pointer, move it (using -> arrow key on your keyboard) to the right as possible. You will see a text that has been added here. You need to remove it.
When the text is removed, press the OK button. You need to clean all desktop shortcuts for all web-browsers, as they may be infected too.
Reset web-browser’s settings
Open the Google Chrome menu by clicking on the button in the form of three horizontal stripes (). It opens the drop-down menu. Click to Settings option.
Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the “Show advanced settings” link. Now scroll down until the Reset settings section is visible, as shown below and click on the Reset settings button.
Confirm your action, click on the Reset button.
Open Mozilla Firefox menu by clicking on the button in the form of three horizontal stripes (). It opens the drop-down menu. Click on the Help button ().
In the Help menu click on the “Troubleshooting Information”. In the upper-right corner of the “Troubleshooting Information” page click on Refresh Firefox button.
Confirm your action. Click on the Refresh Firefox.
Open the Internet Explorer tools menu by clicking on the button in the form of gear (). It opens the drop-down menu. Click on the Internet Options.
In the Internet Options window click on the Advanced tab, then click the Reset button. The Internet Explorer will show the Reset Internet Explorer settings window. Select the Delete personal settings check box, then click on Reset button.
You will now need to restart your computer for the changes to take effect.
Protect your computer from annoying ads and malicious sites
To increase your security and protect your computer against new annoying ads and malicious web sites, you need to use an application that blocks access to dangerous ads and web-pages. Moreover, the software can block the display of intrusive advertising, which also leads to faster loading of websites and reduce the consumption of web traffic.
- Download AdGuard program using the following link.Adguard download
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: November 15, 2018
- After the download is complete, run the downloaded file. You will see the Setup Wizard program window. Follow the prompts.
- After installation is complete, click “Skip” to close the installation program and use the default settings, or press “Get Started” to see an quick tutorial that will help you get to know AdGuard better.
- In most cases, the default settings are enough and you do not need to change anything. Each time, when you start your computer, AdGuard will start automatically and block pop-up ads, sites such Adware/Elex, as well as other malicious or misleading web page. For an overview of all the features of the program, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the icon AdGuard, which is located on your desktop.
Once you have complete the instructions outlined above, your computer should be clean from malware, Adware/Elex and other unwanted software. The Chrome, FF, MS Edge and Internet Explorer will no longer display annoying popup ads and redirect you to unknown web-pages. Unfortunately, if the steps does not help you, then you have caught a new type of adware, and then the best way – ask for help.
- Download HijackThis using the link below and save it to your Desktop. HijackThis download
Category: Security tools
Update: November 7, 2015
- Double-click on the HijackThis icon. Next click “Do a system scan only” button.
- When it has finished scanning your machine, the scan button will read “Save log”, press it. Save this log to your desktop.
- Create a Myantispyware account here. Once you’ve registered, check your e-mail for a confirmation link, and confirm your account. After that, login.
- Copy and paste the contents of the HijackThis log into your post. If you are posting for the first time, please start a new thread by using the “New Topic” button in the Spyware Removal forum. When posting your HJT log, try to give us some details about your problems, so we can try to help you more accurately.
- Wait for one of our trained “Security Team” or Site Administrator to provide you with knowledgeable assistance tailored to your problem with the unwanted Adware/Elex pop-ups.