The appearance of Mediafase.com as your homepage often means your personal computer has been infected by the unwanted software from the browser hijacker family and your web browser’s settings like the home page, new tab page and default search engine should have been modified by it without your knowledge. In this way, creators of the hijacker infection force you to use their web page, and thereby boost traffic of the web-page to generate revenue.
The Mediafase.com browser hijacker will modify your browser’s search provider so that all searches are sent via Mediafase.com, that redirects to Bing, Yahoo or Google Custom Search engine which displays the search results for your query. The makers of this browser hijacker are utilizing legitimate search provider as they may earn revenue from the advertisements that are displayed in the search results.
Table of contents
- What is Mediafase.com
- How to remove Mediafase.com from PC
- Remove Mediafase.com redirect without any utilities
- Remove Mediafase.com associated software by using Microsoft Windows Control Panel
- Fix infected web browsers shortcuts to get rid of Mediafase.com start page
- Delete Mediafase.com redirect from Internet Explorer
- Remove Mediafase.com from FF by resetting web-browser settings
- Remove Mediafase.com search from Google Chrome
- Run free malware removal utilities to completely remove Mediafase.com home page
- Remove Mediafase.com redirect without any utilities
- Block Mediafase.com and other intrusive pages
- How did Mediafase.com hijacker get on your personal computer
- Finish words
Often, the personal computer which has been infected with Mediafase.com hijacker, will be also infected with adware (also known as ‘ad-supported’ software) that opens a huge count of various ads. It may be pop-ups, text links in the web sites, banners where they never had. What is more, the ad supported software may replace the legitimate ads with malicious advertisements that will offer to download and install malware and unwanted applications or visit the various dangerous and misleading web pages.
A malware which makes changes to current settings of installed browsers on Mediafase.com usually affects only Google Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer and Edge. However, possible situations, when any other browsers will be affected too. The Mediafase.com browser hijacker infection can modify the Target property of web browser’s shortcuts, so every time you launch the web-browser, instead of your homepage, you will see a completely different web-site.
We strongly suggest that you perform the few simple steps below which will assist you to get rid of Mediafase.com redirect using the standard features of Windows and some proven free software.
How to remove Mediafase.com from PC
Even if you’ve the up-to-date classic antivirus installed, and you’ve checked your machine for malicious software and removed anything found, you need to do the instructions below. The Mediafase.com hijacker infection removal is not simple as installing another antivirus. Classic antivirus applications are not designed to run together and will conflict with each other, or possibly crash Windows. Instead we suggest complete the manual steps below after that run Zemana Anti-malware, Malwarebytes or AdwCleaner, which are free applications dedicated to find and remove malicious software such as Mediafase.com hijacker infection. Run these tools to ensure the browser hijacker is removed.
Remove Mediafase.com redirect without any utilities
The step-by-step tutorial will help you remove Mediafase.com homepage. These Mediafase.com removal steps work for the Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge, as well as every version of MS Windows operating system.
Remove Mediafase.com associated software by using Microsoft Windows Control Panel
Check out the MS Windows Control Panel (Programs and Features section) to see all installed applications. We recommend to click on the “Date Installed” in order to sort the list of applications by the date you installed them. If you see any unknown and suspicious programs, they are the ones you need to delete.
Windows 8, 8.1, 10
When the ‘Control Panel’ opens, click the ‘Uninstall a program’ link under Programs category as shown on the image below.
You will see the ‘Uninstall a program’ panel as on the image below.
Very carefully look around the entire list of software installed on your machine. Most likely, one or more of them are responsible for the appearance of popups and web-browser redirect to the annoying Mediafase.com web page. If you have many programs installed, you can help simplify the search of harmful software by sort the list by date of installation. Once you have found a suspicious, unwanted or unused program, right click to it, after that click ‘Uninstall’.
Windows XP, Vista, 7
When the Windows ‘Control Panel’ opens, you need to press ‘Uninstall a program’ under ‘Programs’ as shown on the screen below.
You will see a list of programs installed on your computer. We recommend to sort the list by date of installation to quickly find the applications that were installed last. Most likely they responsibility for the appearance of ads and browser redirect. If you are in doubt, you can always check the application by doing a search for her name in Google, Yahoo or Bing. When the program which you need to remove is found, simply press on its name, and then press ‘Uninstall’ as on the image below.
Fix infected web browsers shortcuts to get rid of Mediafase.com start page
Unfortunately, the browser hijacker infection can also hijack Windows shortcuts (mostly, your browsers shortcuts), so that the Mediafase.com home page will be shown when you run the Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox and MS Edge or another internet browser.
Open the properties of the internet browser shortcut. Right click on the shortcut of infected web browser and select the “Properties” option and it’ll open the properties of the shortcut. Next, choose the “Shortcut” tab and have a look at the Target field as shown on the screen below.
Normally, if the last word in the Target field is chrome.exe, iexplore.exe, firefox.exe. Be sure to pay attention to the extension, should be “exe”! All shortcuts that have been changed by browser hijacker infection such as Mediafase.com usually point to .bat, .cmd or .url files instead of .exe as shown on the image below
Another variant, an address has been added at the end of the line. In this case the Target field looks like …Application\chrome.exe” http://site.address as shown below.
In order to fix a shortcut, you need to insert right path to the Target field or remove an address (if it has been added at the end). You can use the following information to fix your shortcuts that have been changed by browser hijacker.
|Chrome||C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe|
|Firefox||C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe|
|IE||C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe|
|C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe|
|Opera||C:\Program Files (x86)\Opera\launcher.exe|
Once is done, press OK to save changes. Repeat the step for all internet browsers that are redirected to the Mediafase.com unwanted site.
Delete Mediafase.com redirect from Internet Explorer
First, run the Microsoft Internet Explorer, click ) button. Next, click “Internet Options” as shown in the figure below.
In the “Internet Options” screen select the Advanced tab. Next, click Reset button. The Microsoft Internet Explorer will show the Reset Internet Explorer settings prompt. Select the “Delete personal settings” check box and click Reset button.
You will now need to restart your PC for the changes to take effect. It will get rid of Mediafase.com browser hijacker, disable malicious and ad-supported internet browser’s extensions and restore the IE’s settings like new tab, homepage and search provider by default to default state.
Remove Mediafase.com from FF by resetting web-browser settings
If your Firefox web-browser homepage has changed to Mediafase.com without your permission or a an unknown search engine opens results for your search, then it may be time to perform the web browser reset.
Run the FF and press the menu button (it looks like three stacked lines) at the top right of the internet browser screen. Next, click the question-mark icon at the bottom of the drop-down menu. It will display the slide-out menu.
Select the “Troubleshooting information”. If you’re unable to access the Help menu, then type “about:support” in your address bar and press Enter. It bring up the “Troubleshooting Information” page as on the image below.
Click the “Refresh Firefox” button at the top right of the Troubleshooting Information page. Select “Refresh Firefox” in the confirmation prompt. The FF will start a procedure to fix your problems that caused by the Mediafase.com hijacker infection. When, it’s complete, click the “Finish” button.
Remove Mediafase.com search from Google Chrome
Like other modern web browsers, the Google Chrome has the ability to reset the settings to their default values and thereby recover the browser new tab page, homepage and search engine by default that have been replaced by the Mediafase.com hijacker.
First launch the Chrome. Next, click the button in the form of three horizontal stripes (). It will show the main menu. Further, click the option named “Settings”. Another way to display the Chrome’s settings – type chrome://settings in the internet browser adress bar and press Enter.
The internet browser will show the settings screen. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click the “Show advanced settings” link. Now scroll down until the “Reset settings” section is visible, as shown on the screen below and press the “Reset settings” button.
The Chrome will show the confirmation dialog box. You need to confirm your action, click the “Reset” button. The web browser will run the task of cleaning. When it is done, the internet browser’s settings including new tab page, homepage and search provider by default back to the values that have been when the Chrome was first installed on your computer.
Run free malware removal utilities to completely remove Mediafase.com home page
Many antivirus companies have developed applications that help detect and remove browser hijacker, and thereby revert back all your typical browsers settings. Below is a a few of the free programs you may want to run. Your computer may have a ton of PUPs, adware and hijackers installed at the same time, so we recommend, if any unwanted or malicious program returns after restarting the PC system, then boot your computer into Safe Mode and use the anti malware utility again.
Use Zemana Anti-malware to remove browser hijacker
Zemana Anti-malware highly recommended, because it can find security threats such adware and browser hijackers which most ‘classic’ antivirus software fail to pick up on. Moreover, if you have any Mediafase.com hijacker infection removal problems which cannot be fixed by this tool automatically, then Zemana Anti-malware provides 24X7 online assistance from the highly experienced support staff.
Download Zemana anti malware from the link below.
Author: Zemana Ltd
Category: Security tools
Update: April 20, 2017
Once downloading is complete, close all software and windows on your computer. Open a directory in which you saved it. Double-click on the icon that’s named Zemana.AntiMalware.Setup like below.
When the setup begins, you will see the “Setup wizard” that will help you install Zemana anti malware on your computer.
Once install is complete, you will see window as shown on the screen below.
Now click the “Scan” button for scanning your machine for the browser hijacker . This procedure can take quite a while, so please be patient. While the program is checking, you may see number of objects it has identified as threat.
As the scanning ends, it’ll open a list of all threats detected by this tool. Make sure all entries have ‘checkmark’ and click “Next” button.
The Zemana Anti-malware will start removing Mediafase.com hijacker related files, folders and registry keys.
Scan and clean your personal computer of hijacker with Malwarebytes
You can delete Mediafase.com redirect automatically with a help of Malwarebytes Free. We suggest this free malicious software removal utility because it can easily delete hijackers, ‘ad supported’ software, PUPs and toolbars with all their components such as files, folders and registry entries.
- Please download Malwarebytes to your desktop by clicking on the following link.
Category: Security tools
Update: August 31, 2017
- At the download page, click on the Download button. Your internet browser will show the “Save as” prompt. Please save it onto your Windows desktop.
- When downloading is done, please close all programs and open windows on your personal computer. Double-click on the icon that’s named mb3-setup.
- This will start the “Setup wizard” of Malwarebytes onto your PC system. Follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
- When the Setup wizard has finished installing, the Malwarebytes will start and open the main window.
- Further, click the “Scan Now” button . This will start scanning the whole PC to find out browser hijacker . A system scan may take anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes, depending on your computer. While the utility is scanning, you can see how many objects and files has already scanned.
- As the scanning ends, it’ll show a list of all threats found by this tool.
- Review the scan results and then click the “Quarantine Selected” button to start cleaning your system. Once the task is finished, you may be prompted to reboot the computer.
- Close the Anti-Malware and continue with the next step.
Video instruction, which reveals in detail the steps above.
Run AdwCleaner to get rid of Mediafase.com from the computer
The AdwCleaner tool is free and easy to use. It may scan and remove browser hijacker like Mediafase.com, malware, potentially unwanted applications and ad supported software in Firefox, Google Chrome, IE and Microsoft Edge internet browsers and thereby return their default settings (new tab page, home page and search engine by default). AdwCleaner is powerful enough to find and delete malicious registry entries and files that are hidden on the system.
- Download AdwCleaner by clicking on the following link.
Category: Security tools
Update: August 29, 2017
- Select the directory in which you saved it as Desktop, and then click Save.
- When downloading is finished, launch the AdwCleaner, double-click the adwcleaner_xxx.exe file.
- If the “User Account Control” prompts, click Yes to continue.
- In the AdwCleaner window, click the “Scan” to perform a system scan with this utility for the Mediafase.com browser hijacker that cause a redirect to Mediafase.com. This task can take some time, so please be patient. While the program is scanning, you can see number of objects it has identified as threat.
- Once the scan is finished, the results are displayed in the scan report. Review the scan results and then press “Clean”. If the AdwCleaner will ask you to reboot your computer, press “OK”.
The tutorial shown in detail in the following video.
Block Mediafase.com and other intrusive pages
By installing an adblocker application such as AdbGuard, you are able to block Mediafase.com, autoplaying video ads and remove a ton of distracting and unwanted ads on web-sites.
- Download AdGuard application by clicking on the following link.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: May 10, 2017
- Once the download is complete, start the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” program window. Follow the prompts.
- Once the installation is done, click “Skip” to close the installation program and use the default settings, or press “Get Started” to see an quick tutorial that will help you get to know AdGuard better.
- In most cases, the default settings are enough and you do not need to change anything. Each time, when you launch your computer, AdGuard will start automatically and stop pop-up advertisements, pages such Mediafase.com, as well as other harmful or misleading pages. For an overview of all the features of the application, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the icon named AdGuard, that is located on your desktop.
How did Mediafase.com hijacker get on your personal computer
Now your computer should be clean of the Mediafase.com . Remove AdwCleaner. We suggest that you keep AdGuard (to help you stop unwanted popup advertisements and intrusive malicious pages) and Malwarebytes (to periodically scan your computer for new browser hijackers, malware and adware). Probably you are running an older version of Java or Adobe Flash Player. This can be a security risk, so download and install the latest version right now.
If you are still having problems while trying to remove Mediafase.com start page from the Google Chrome, IE, Mozilla Firefox and Microsoft Edge, then ask for help in our Spyware/Malware removal forum.