The appearance of unwanted potatoheader.com pop-ups in your browser means that your computer is infected with an adware. It makes changes to the system settings and configures itself so as to start automatically each time the PC is turned on. Immediately after startup, the adware begins to monitor the user’s actions and insert advertisements directly into the open windows of the Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer and Edge. So, if you notice that your browser has become open this website, then you do not need to wait , you need to follow the instructions below and remove potatoheader.com po-ups as quickly as possible.
Most often, the ad supported software affects the most common web-browsers such as the Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox and Microsoft Edge. But such the malicious software as well may infect another browsers by changing its shortcuts (adding an argument such as ‘http://site.address’ into Target field of a internet browser’s shortcut). So every time you start the web-browser, it will redirect to the annoying potatoheader.com site. Even if you setup a new homepage, an annoying page will be the first thing you see when you start the Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer and Edge.
Technically, the adware is not a virus, but it does bad things, it generates lots of ads, hindering or completely blocking the work in the web-browser. It may install other unknown and unwanted software without your permission, force you to visit malicious sites. Moreover, with the ad supported software, a browser hijacker can be additionally installed on to your system, that will replace your homepage with an unwanted web-site.
We recommend to get rid of the adware, which redirects your internet browser on the potatoheader.com unwanted site, as soon as you found this problem, as it can direct you to web-resources which may load other dangerous software on your computer.
How does potatoheader.com popups get installed onto system
How to manually remove potatoheader.com redirect
This guide will help you remove potatoheader.com ads. These potatoheader.com removal steps work for the Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox and Microsoft Edge, as well as every version of Windows operating system. Some of the steps may require you to close the browser or reboot your personal computer. So, bookmark or print it for later reference.
- Remove suspicious and unknown software by using Windows Control Panel
- Disinfect the browser’s shortcuts to remove potatoheader.com redirect
- Remove potatoheader.com ads from Google Chrome
- Remove potatoheader.com ads from Firefox
- Delete potatoheader.com pop-up ads from IE
Remove suspicious and unknown software by using Windows Control Panel
The best way to begin the PC system cleanup is to uninstall unknown and suspicious software. Using the Windows Control Panel you can do this quickly and easily. This step, in spite of its simplicity, should not be ignored, for one simple reason, many free programs at its installation additionally set various unneeded applications that most often generate annoying advertising banners and redirect your browser to potatoheader.com web-site. So, remove the unneeded software may cleanup your browser from popups, hijackers and so on.
- If you are using Windows 8, 8.1 or 10 then press Windows key, click Search. Type “Control panel”and press Enter.
- If you are using Windows XP, Vista, 7, then press “Start” button and click “Control Panel”.
- It will display the Windows Control Panel.
- Click “Uninstall a program” under Programs category.
- You will see a list of all installed programs.
- Scroll through the all list, and delete suspicious and unknown programs. To quickly find the latest installed applications, we recommend sort applications by date.
See more details in the video instructions below.
Disinfect the browser’s shortcuts to remove potatoheader.com redirect
Click the right mouse button to a desktop shortcut which you use to launch your browser. Next, select the “Properties” option. Important: necessary to click on the desktop shortcut for the browser which is redirected to the potatoheader.com or other unwanted web-page.
Further, necessary to look at the text which is written in the “Target” field. The ad supported software can replace the contents of this field, which describes the file to be run when you start your browser. Depending on the web-browser you are using, there should be: Google Chrome: chrome.exe, Opera: opera.exe, Firefox: firefox.exe, Internet Explorer: iexplore.exe. If you are seeing an unknown text like “http://site.address” that has been added here, then you should remove it, as shown on the screen below. Click the “OK” button to save the changes. Now, when you launch the internet browser from this desktop shortcut, it does not occur automatically redirect on the potatoheader.com web site or any other unwanted sites that is advertised by the adware. Once the step is finished, we recommend to go to the next step.
Remove potatoheader.com ads from Google Chrome
Open the Chrome menu by clicking on the button in the form of three horizontal stripes (). It opens the drop-down menu. Click to Settings option. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the “Show advanced settings” link. Now scroll down until the Reset settings section is visible, as shown below and click on the Reset settings button. Confirm your action, click on the Reset button.
Remove potatoheader.com ads from Firefox
Open the Firefox menu by clicking on the button in the form of three horizontal stripes (). It opens the drop-down menu. Click on the Help button (). In the Help menu click on the “Troubleshooting Information”. In the upper-right corner of the “Troubleshooting Information” page click on “Refresh Firefox” button. Confirm your action. Click on the “Refresh Firefox”.
Delete potatoheader.com pop-up ads from IE
Open the Internet Explorer tools menu by clicking on the button in the form of gear (). It opens the drop-down menu. Click on the “Internet Options”. In the Internet Options window click on the Advanced tab, then click the Reset button. The Internet Explorer will show the “Reset Internet Explorer settings” window. Select the “Delete personal settings” check box, then click on “Reset” button. You will now need to restart your computer for the changes to take effect.
How to remove potatoheader.com with Antimalware
Remove potatoheader.com ads manually is difficult and often the adware is not completely removed. Therefore, we recommend you to use the MalwareBytes Anti-malware Free that are completely clean your computer. Moreover, the free program will help you to remove malware, web-browser hijacker and toolbars that your PC may be infected too.
- Download MalwareBytes Anti-malware (MBAM) from the link below. Malwarebytes Anti-malware
Category: Security tools
Update: March 20, 2018
- Close all programs and windows on your computer. Open a directory in which you saved it. Double-click on the icon that named mbam-setup.
- Further, click Next button and follow the prompts.
- Once installation is complete, click on the “Scan Now” button to begin scanning your computer for the adware which redirects your web-browser to the potatoheader.com annoying site. This procedure can take some time, so please be patient.
- When the scan is finished, make sure all entries have “checkmark” and click “Remove Selected”. Once disinfection is finished, you may be prompted to Restart.
Block potatoheader.com popup ads and other unwanted pages
To increase your security and protect your PC against new annoying ads and malicious pages, you need to use application that blocks access to malicious advertisements and sites. Moreover, the software can block the open of intrusive advertising, which also leads to faster loading of pages and reduce the consumption of web traffic.
Download AdGuard program using the following link.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: November 7, 2017
Follow the prompts. After installation is complete, you will see a window as shown in the figure below.
You can click “Skip” to close the installation program and use the default settings, or press “Get Started” button to see an quick tutorial that will help you get to know AdGuard better.
In most cases, the default settings are enough and you do not need to change anything. Each time, when you start your system, AdGuard will run automatically and block pop-up ads, web-sites such potatoheader.com, as well as other dangerous or misleading web pages. For an overview of all the features of the program, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the AdGuard icon, which is located on your Windows desktop.
If the problem with potatoheader.com ads is still remained
If MalwareBytes Anti-malware cannot remove the potatoheader.com pop-up ads, then we suggests to use the AdwCleaner. AdwCleaner is a free removal tool for adware, browser hijackers, PUPs, toolbars. Also you can ask for help our Myantispyware team below.
- Download AdwCleaner from the link below. AdwCleaner download
Author: Xplode, MalwareBytes
Category: Security tools
Update: July 4, 2018
- Double click the AdwCleaner icon. Once this tool is started, press “Scan” button to perform a system scan for the adware that generates the potatoheader.com ads.
- Once AdwCleaner has finished, it will show a scan report. Review the report and then click “Cleaning” button. It will display a prompt. Click “OK”.
How to ask for help the Myantispyware team
If you are seeking a help for potatoheader.com advertisements removal then follow these steps.
- Download HijackThis from the link below and save it to your Desktop. HijackThis download
Category: Security tools
Update: November 7, 2015
- Double-click on the HijackThis icon, and click the button labeled “Do a system scan only”.
- Once the scan is complete, the scan button will read “Save log”, click it. Save this log to your desktop
Create a Myantispyware account here. Once you’ve registered, check your e-mail for a confirmation link, and confirm your account. After that, login.
- Copy and paste the contents of the HijackThis log into your post. If you are posting for the first time, please start a new thread by using the “New Topic” button in the Spyware Removal forum. When posting your HJT log, try to give us some details about your problems, so we can try to help you more accurately.
- Wait for one of our trained “Security Team” or Site Administrator to provide you with knowledgeable assistance tailored to your problem with the redirect to the annoying potatoheader.com .