Are you launch your favorite web-browser and don’t see usual start page, which is set earlier? Or, the ok-search.ru ads is the first thing that pop up once you launch your web-browser? It means that your computer has become the victim of malware from the group of adware (also known as ‘ad-supported’ software). If you get it on your system, this ad supported software can modify the web browser’s settings such as start page and search provider by default and install malicious extension that will display lots of annoying advertisements within the Mozilla Firefox, Chrome, IE and Edge screen. It is important, do not click on these advertisements, as they can lead you to more malicious or misleading web sites. The best option is to use the few simple steps posted below to clean your computer and thereby remove ok-search.ru advertisements.
The ad supported software can change the settings of the Google Chrome, FF, Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge, but often that a dangerous software like this can also infect all types of web-browsers by changing their desktop shortcuts. Thus forcing the user each time run the web-browser to see ok-search.ru annoying ads.
The adware is not a virus, but the virus behaves similarly. As a rootkit hides in the system, alters browser settings and blocks them from changing. Also the adware can install additional browser extensions, addons and modules that will inject advertisements within the Google Chrome, FF, Edge and IE’s screen. Moreover, the adware may install a browser hijacker that once started, will alter the web-browser’s startpage and search engine. And finally, the ad supported software can collect a wide variety of personal information such as what sites you are opening, what you are looking for the Internet and so on. This information, in the future, may be transferred to third parties.
Instructions, which is shown below, will allow you to clean your system from the ad-supported software as well as remove ok-search.ru unwanted pop-up ads from the Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge and other web-browsers.
How does ok-search.ru advertisements get installed onto computer
How to manually remove ok-search.ru
The simple answer is right here on this page. We have put together simplicity and efficiency. It will allow you easily to clean your PC system of adware. Moreover, you can choose manual or automatic removal method. If you are familiar with the system then use manual removal, otherwise use the free anti-malware tool designed specifically to delete ad supported software that causes annoying ok-search.ru pop-up ads. Of course, you can combine both methods. Read this manual carefully, bookmark or print it, because you may need to close your browser or reboot your machine.
- Delete suspicious and unknown software by using Windows Control Panel
- Get rid of ok-search.ru from FF
- Delete ok-search.ru from Google Chrome
- Delete ok-search.ru from Internet Explorer
- Disinfect the browser’s shortcuts to remove ok-search.ru redirect
- Get rid of unwanted Scheduled Tasks
Remove suspicious and unknown software by using Windows Control Panel
The best way to begin the computer cleanup is to delete unknown and suspicious programs. Using the Windows Control Panel you can do this quickly and easily. This step, in spite of its simplicity, should not be ignored, because the removing of unneeded programs can clean up your internet browser from popup ads, hijackers and so on.
- If you are using Windows 8, 8.1 or 10 then press Windows key, click Search. Type “Control panel”and press Enter.
- If you are using Windows XP, Vista, 7, then press “Start” button and click “Control Panel”.
- It’ll display the Windows Control Panel.
- Click “Uninstall a program” under Programs category.
- You will see a list of all installed software.
- Scroll through the all list, and uninstall suspicious and unknown applications. To quickly find the latest installed software, we recommend sort applications by date.
See more details in the video instructions below.
Get rid of ok-search.ru from FF
If the Firefox settings have been replaced by the adware, then resetting it to the default state can help you to delete the reroute onto ok-search.ru web-page.
First, start the Firefox and press button. It will display the drop-down menu on the right-part of the web browser. Next, press the Help button () like below.
In the Help menu, select the “Troubleshooting Information” option. Another way to open the “Troubleshooting Information” screen – type “about:support” in the internet browser address bar and press Enter. It will open the “Troubleshooting Information” page as shown on the screen below. In the upper-right corner of this screen, press the “Refresh Firefox” button.
It will display the confirmation dialog box, press the “Refresh Firefox” button. The Firefox will start a process to fix your problems that caused by the adware. When it’s complete, click the “Finish” button
Delete ok-search.ru from Google Chrome
Like other modern internet browsers, the Google Chrome has the ability to reset the settings to their default values and thereby remove the redirect to ok-search.ru annoying advertisements which is caused by the adware.
At first, launch the Google Chrome. Next, press the button in the form of three horizontal stripes (). It will appear the main menu. Click on the option named “Settings”. Another way to open the Chrome’s settings – type chrome://settings in the web browser adress bar and press Enter.
The web browser will open the settings screen. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the “Show advanced settings” link. Now scroll down until the “Reset settings” section is visible, as on the image below and click the “Reset settings” button.
The Chrome will show the confirmation prompt. You need to confirm your action, click the “Reset” button. The application will start the task of cleaning. Once it is complete, the browser settings including the ‘block pop-ups’ option back to the values that have been when the Google Chrome was first installed on your system.
Delete ok-search.ru from Internet Explorer
First, start the Internet Explorer, then click the button in the form of gear (). It will open the Tools drop-down menu as shown on the image below. Next, click the “Internet Options”.
In the Internet Options window click on the Advanced tab, then click the Reset button. The Internet Explorer will display the “Reset Internet Explorer settings” window as shown on the image below. Select the “Delete personal settings” check box, then click on “Reset” button.
You will now need to restart your personal computer for the changes to take effect.
Disinfect the browser’s shortcuts to remove ok-search.ru redirect
When the adware is started, it can also alter the web browser’s shortcuts, adding an argument like “http://site.address” into the Target field. Due to this, every time you run the browser, it will be redirected to an annoying ads.
To clear the web-browser shortcut, right-click to it and select Properties. On the Shortcut tab, locate the Target field. Click inside, you will see a vertical line – arrow pointer, move it (using -> arrow key on your keyboard) to the right as possible. You will see a text which begins with “http://” which has been added here. You need to remove it.
When the argument is removed, click the OK button. You need to clean all shortcuts of all your web browsers, as they may be infected too.
Get rid of unwanted Scheduled Tasks
If the unwanted ok-search.ru site opens automatically on Windows startup or at equal time intervals, then you need to check the Task Scheduler Library and remove all the tasks that have been created by adware.
Press Windows and R keys on the keyboard simultaneously. This opens a prompt that titled as Run. In the text field, type “taskschd.msc” (without the quotes) and press OK. Task Scheduler window opens. In the left-hand side, click “Task Scheduler Library”, as shown in the following image.
In the middle part you will see a list of installed tasks. Select the first task, its properties will be show just below automatically. Next, click the Actions tab. Pay attention to that it launches on your PC system. Found something like “explorer.exe http://site.address” or “chrome.exe http://site.address”, then you need remove it. If you are not sure that executes the task, check it through a search engine. If it is a component of the adware, then this task also should be removed.
Having defined the task that you want to remove, then press on it with the right mouse button and select Delete like below.
Repeat this step, if you have found a few tasks that have been created by malicious applications. Once is finished, close the Task Scheduler window.
How to delete ok-search.ru with free malware removal program
Manual removal ok-search.ru requires some computer skills. Some files and registry entries that created by the adware may be not completely removed. We suggest that use the Malwarebytes Free that are completely clean your system. Moreover, the freeware will help you to remove malware, web browser hijackers and toolbars that your machine may be infected too.
- Please download Malwarebytes to your desktop from the following link. Malwarebytes Anti-malware
Category: Security tools
Update: March 20, 2018
- At the download page, click the Download button. Your internet browser will display the “Save as” prompt. Please save it onto your desktop.
- When the download process is complete, please close all applications and open windows on your computer. Double-click on the icon that’s named mb3-setup.
- This will launch the Setup wizard of Malwarebytes onto your PC system. Follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
- Once the Setup wizard has done installing, the malware remover will start and display the main window.
- Further, click the “Scan Now” button for scanning your PC for the ad supported software that redirects your web browser to the ok-search.ru annoying site. This process can take quite a while, so please be patient.
- When the system scan is finished, it will display a screen which contains a list of malicious programs that has been found.
- When you are ready, press on “Quarantine Selected” button to begin cleaning your PC system. When the task is finished, you may be prompted to reboot your PC.
- Close the Anti-Malware and continue with the next step.
Video instruction, which reveals in detail the steps above.
How to stop ok-search.ru
To increase your security and protect your personal computer against new unwanted ads and malicious web sites, you need to use an application that blocks access to malicious ads and web-pages. Moreover, the program can block the open of intrusive advertising, that also leads to faster loading of web pages and reduce the consumption of web traffic.
- Download AdGuard program by clicking on the following link.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: July 17, 2017
- When the download is finished, run the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” window. Follow the prompts.
- When the installation is complete, click “Skip” to close it and use the default settings, or press “Get Started” to see a quick tutorial which will allow you get to know AdGuard better.
- In most cases, the default settings are enough and you do not need to change anything. Each time, when you launch your computer, AdGuard will run automatically and block popup ads, ok-search.ru redirects, as well as other malicious or misleading web-pages. For an overview of all the features of the program, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the AdGuard icon, which is located on your Windows desktop.
Delete ok-search.ru pop-up ads and malicious extensions with AdwCleaner.
If MalwareBytes Anti-malware cannot remove the annoying ok-search.ru pop-up ads from the Google Chrome, Firefox, Edge and Microsoft Internet Explorer, then we suggests to use the AdwCleaner. AdwCleaner is a free removal tool for ‘ad-supported’ software, browser hijackers, PUPs and toolbars.
Download AdwCleaner from the link below.
Author: Xplode, MalwareBytes
Category: Security tools
Update: September 3, 2018
When the download is finished, open the directory in which you saved it. Double click the AdwCleaner icon. Once this utility is started, you will see a screen like below.
Now, press the “Scan” button to begin checking your machine for the malicious extensions and adware that displays ads from ok-search.ru web-site. Once the scanning is finished, it will open a scan report as shown below.
Review the report and then click “Clean” button. It will display a prompt. Click “OK”. Once the cleaning procedure is complete, AdwCleaner may ask you to reboot your system.
Look at the following video, which completely explains the process of using the AdwCleaner to remove adware, browser hijackers and other malicious programs.
Now your machine should be clean of the ok-search.ru ads. Remove AdwCleaner. We suggest that you keep AdGuard (to help you block unwanted popup ads and annoying dangerous web-pages) and Malwarebytes (to periodically scan your computer for new malware and ‘ad-supported’ software). Probably you are running an older version of Java or Adobe Flash Player. This can be a security risk, so download and install the latest version right now.
If you are still having problems while trying to remove ok-search.ru from your machine, then ask for help in our Spyware/Malware removal forum.