Cyber security specialists has determined that CommentsPlus is a potentially unwanted program from the Browser hijackers category. So-called ‘browser hijacker’ is created to manipulate your web-browser’s settings like homepage, default search engine and newtab page, to alter your homepage or search engine, so that the affected internet browser visits an annoying page instead of your selected one. In the step-by-step guidance below, we will explain the best possible methods to remove CommentsPlus from your Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge and Chrome.
When you are performing searches using the web-browser that has been affected with CommentsPlus, the search results will be returned from Bing, Yahoo or Google Custom Search. The devs behind CommentsPlus browser hijacker are most likely doing this to generate advertisement profit from the ads displayed in the search results.
It’s not a good idea to have an unwanted program like the CommentsPlus hijacker on your personal computer. The reason for this is simple, it doing things you do not know about. The browser hijacker has the ability to gather lots of user data which can be later transferred third party companies. You do not know if your home address, account names and passwords are safe. And of course you completely don’t know what will happen when you click on any advertisements while your web-browser is affected by the CommentsPlus PUP.
The guidance below explaining steps to remove CommentsPlus problem. Feel free to use it for removal of the browser hijacker that may attack MS Edge, Google Chrome, IE and Mozilla Firefox and other popular internet browsers. The step-by-step instructions will help you revert back your internet browsers settings that previously replaced by hijacker infection.
How to Remove CommentsPlus (removal tutorial)
If you have unwanted start page or search provider, consistent pop-ups or ads, slow system, crashing PC system problems, you are in need of hijacker removal assistance. The step-by-step instructions below will guide you forward to get CommentsPlus removed and will assist you get your machine operating at peak capacity again.
To remove CommentsPlus, execute the steps below:
- How to remove CommentsPlus without any software
- How to get rid of CommentsPlus automatically with free programs
- How to stop CommentsPlus redirect
- Tips to prevent CommentsPlus and other unwanted apps
- Finish words
How to remove CommentsPlus without any software
The following instructions is a step-by-step guide, which will help you manually delete CommentsPlus redirect from the Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, IE and MS Edge.
Delete dubious software using Windows Control Panel
The main cause of homepage or search provider hijacking could be potentially unwanted applications, adware or other unwanted programs that you may have unintentionally installed on the machine. You need to identify and delete all suspicious programs.
Windows 8, 8.1, 10
Once the ‘Control Panel’ opens, click the ‘Uninstall a program’ link under Programs category as shown in the figure below.
You will see the ‘Uninstall a program’ panel as shown in the following example.
Very carefully look around the entire list of programs installed on your system. Most probably, one of them is the hijacker infection which cause a redirect to CommentsPlus site. If you have many programs installed, you can help simplify the search of malicious apps by sort the list by date of installation. Once you have found a suspicious, unwanted or unused program, right click to it, after that click ‘Uninstall’.
Windows XP, Vista, 7
After the Windows ‘Control Panel’ opens, you need to click ‘Uninstall a program’ under ‘Programs’ as shown in the following example.
You will see a list of apps installed on your computer. We recommend to sort the list by date of installation to quickly find the apps that were installed last. Most likely, it’s the browser hijacker infection responsible for redirecting your internet browser to CommentsPlus page. If you are in doubt, you can always check the application by doing a search for her name in Google, Yahoo or Bing. After the application which you need to remove is found, simply press on its name, and then click ‘Uninstall’ as displayed below.
Remove CommentsPlus from Chrome
In this step we are going to show you how to reset Google Chrome settings. potentially unwanted programs like the CommentsPlus can make changes to your web browser settings including newtab page, default search engine and startpage, add toolbars and undesired add-ons. By resetting Google Chrome settings you will delete CommentsPlus and reset unwanted changes caused by browser hijacker infection. Essential information such as bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, cookies, auto-fill data and personal dictionaries will not be removed.
- First start the Google Chrome and click Menu button (small button in the form of three dots).
- It will show the Chrome main menu. Select More Tools, then click Extensions.
- You will see the list of installed addons. If the list has the add-on labeled with “Installed by enterprise policy” or “Installed by your administrator”, then complete the following guidance: Remove Chrome extensions installed by enterprise policy.
- Now open the Google Chrome menu once again, click the “Settings” menu.
- You will see the Google Chrome’s settings page. Scroll down and press “Advanced” link.
- Scroll down again and click the “Reset” button.
- The Google Chrome will open the reset profile settings page as on the image above.
- Next press the “Reset” button.
- Once this task is finished, your web browser’s search provider, homepage and new tab will be restored to their original defaults.
- To learn more, read the article How to reset Chrome settings to default.
Remove CommentsPlus from Mozilla Firefox
Resetting your Mozilla Firefox is good initial troubleshooting step for any issues with your internet browser program, including the reroute to CommentsPlus web-site. When using the reset feature, your personal information like passwords, bookmarks, browsing history and web form auto-fill data will be saved.
Launch the Mozilla Firefox and click the menu button (it looks like three stacked lines) at the top right of the browser screen. Next, click the question-mark icon at the bottom of the drop-down menu. It will display the slide-out menu.
Select the “Troubleshooting information”. If you’re unable to access the Help menu, then type “about:support” in your address bar and press Enter. It bring up the “Troubleshooting Information” page as shown in the following example.
Click the “Refresh Firefox” button at the top right of the Troubleshooting Information page. Select “Refresh Firefox” in the confirmation dialog box. The Firefox will begin a task to fix your problems that caused by the CommentsPlus hijacker. After, it is finished, click the “Finish” button.
Remove CommentsPlus from Internet Explorer
If you find that Microsoft Internet Explorer internet browser settings such as startpage, default search provider and new tab page had been hijacked, then you may return your settings, via the reset web browser procedure.
First, run the IE, press ) button. Next, click “Internet Options” as displayed below.
In the “Internet Options” screen select the Advanced tab. Next, click Reset button. The Internet Explorer will open the Reset Internet Explorer settings dialog box. Select the “Delete personal settings” check box and click Reset button.
You will now need to restart your computer for the changes to take effect. It will remove hijacker that cause CommentsPlus page to appear, disable malicious and ad-supported browser’s extensions and restore the Microsoft Internet Explorer’s settings like new tab page, start page and search provider by default to default state.
How to get rid of CommentsPlus automatically with free programs
In order to delete CommentsPlus fully, you not only need to uninstall it from the web-browsers, but also delete all its components in your computer including Windows registry entries. We advise to download and run free removal utilities to automatically clean your computer of CommentsPlus hijacker infection.
Run Zemana AntiMalware to remove CommentsPlus start page
We suggest using the Zemana Anti-Malware that are completely clean your system of the hijacker. The utility is an advanced malicious software removal program created by (c) Zemana lab. It’s able to help you delete PUPs, hijackers, adware, malware, toolbars, ransomware and other security threats from your computer for free.
Visit the page linked below to download the latest version of Zemana for Windows. Save it on your MS Windows desktop or in any other place.
Author: Zemana Ltd
Category: Security tools
Update: February 14, 2019
After the download is finished, launch it and follow the prompts. Once installed, the Zemana Anti-Malware (ZAM) will try to update itself and when this task is complete, click the “Scan” button . Zemana Anti-Malware program will scan through the whole PC for the hijacker responsible for modifying your web browser settings to CommentsPlus.
A scan can take anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes, depending on the count of files on your PC system and the speed of your computer. While the Zemana Anti Malware is checking, you can see count of objects it has identified either as being malware. When you’re ready, click “Next” button.
The Zemana Anti Malware (ZAM) will get rid of browser hijacker responsible for redirections to CommentsPlus.
Scan and clean your machine of hijacker infection with HitmanPro
HitmanPro is a free removal utility which can scan your system for a wide range of security threats such as adware software, malware, potentially unwanted software as well as hijacker infection that causes web browsers to open undesired CommentsPlus website. It will perform a deep scan of your personal computer including hard drives and Windows registry. Once a malware is found, it will allow you to remove all detected threats from your PC system by a simple click.
- HitmanPro can be downloaded from the following link. Save it on your Microsoft Windows desktop.
Category: Security tools
Update: June 28, 2018
- Once the downloading process is finished, start the Hitman Pro, double-click the HitmanPro.exe file.
- If the “User Account Control” prompts, press Yes to continue.
- In the HitmanPro window, click the “Next” to find browser hijacker that responsible for internet browser redirect to the annoying CommentsPlus web page. A scan can take anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes, depending on the number of files on your PC system and the speed of your machine. While the Hitman Pro is scanning, you can see how many objects it has identified either as being malicious software.
- Once that process is finished, HitmanPro will display you the results. Review the report and then click “Next”. Now, click the “Activate free license” button to start the free 30 days trial to remove all malware found.
Run MalwareBytes to remove CommentsPlus homepage
Manual CommentsPlus removal requires some computer skills. Some files and registry entries that created by the browser hijacker can be not fully removed. We recommend that run the MalwareBytes AntiMalware (MBAM) that are fully clean your PC system of browser hijacker. Moreover, this free program will help you to remove malware, PUPs, adware and toolbars that your computer may be infected too.
- MalwareBytes Free can be downloaded from the following link. Save it to your Desktop so that you can access the file easily.
Category: Security tools
Update: February 5, 2019
- When the downloading process is finished, close all applications and windows on your PC system. Open a folder in which you saved it. Double-click on the icon that’s named mb3-setup.
- Further, click Next button and follow the prompts.
- Once install is done, click the “Scan Now” button . MalwareBytes AntiMalware program will scan through the whole PC system for the hijacker infection related to CommentsPlus . This procedure can take quite a while, so please be patient. During the scan MalwareBytes will locate threats present on your computer.
- Once the scan is finished, you will be displayed the list of all found items on your machine. When you’re ready, click “Quarantine Selected”. After the procedure is done, you can be prompted to reboot your personal computer.
The following video offers a step-by-step tutorial on how to delete hijackers, adware and other malware with MalwareBytes AntiMalware.
How to stop CommentsPlus redirect
Enabling an adblocker program like AdGuard is an effective way to alleviate the risks. Additionally, ad blocking applications will also protect you from harmful ads and web pages, and, of course, block redirection chain to CommentsPlus and similar websites.
- Visit the page linked below to download the latest version of AdGuard for MS Windows. Save it to your Desktop.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: November 15, 2018
- After downloading it, start the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” program window. Follow the prompts.
- Once the setup is finished, click “Skip” to close the setup application and use the default settings, or press “Get Started” to see an quick tutorial which will help you get to know AdGuard better.
- In most cases, the default settings are enough and you do not need to change anything. Each time, when you launch your computer, AdGuard will launch automatically and stop undesired ads, block CommentsPlus, as well as other malicious or misleading pages. For an overview of all the features of the program, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the icon called AdGuard, that can be found on your desktop.
Tips to prevent CommentsPlus and other unwanted apps
After completing the steps above, your personal computer should be free from browser hijacker infection that cause a redirect to CommentsPlus web-site and other malware. The Microsoft Edge, Firefox, Google Chrome and Microsoft Internet Explorer will no longer display intrusive CommentsPlus web-page on startup. Unfortunately, if the guide does not help you, then you have caught a new hijacker, and then the best way – ask for help here.