The Chrome Security update pop-up alert is a misleading web-site that designed in order to force you into installing a questionable software (malware). If your Google Chrome constantly redirects to the fake Chrome Security update alerts then most probably that you accidentally installed undesired software from the adware (also known as ‘ad-supported’ software) category on your system.
The full text of the “Chrome Security update” pop-up is:
Browser Update Chrome Security update… This window will close automatically after a few minutes. Please, do not close the window or shut down the computer. It is safe to continue browsing during the update.
The ad-supported software can end up on your system in various methods. Most commonly is when you download and install free programs and forget to uncheck the box for the additional apps installation. Don’t panic because we have got the solution. Here’s a guidance on how to remove Chrome Security update pop-up from the Chrome and other web-browsers.
Remove Chrome Security update popup scam (Virus removal instructions)
There exist several free adware removal utilities. Also it is possible to delete Chrome Security update fake alerts manually. But we recommend to combine all these ways below into the one removal algorithm. Follow the steps of the guide. Certain of the steps will require you to restart your PC or shut down this web-page. So, read this tutorial carefully, then bookmark or print it for later reference.
To remove Chrome Security update, perform the following steps:
- Delete Chrome Security update related apps through the Control Panel of your computer
- Remove Chrome Security update pop up from Google Chrome
- Chrome Security update pop-up automatic removal
- Use AdBlocker to block Chrome Security update scam
Remove Chrome Security update fake alerts without any tools
Read this “How to remove” section to know how to manually get rid of adware that causes multiple misleading Chrome Security update alerts and popups. Even if the few simple steps does not work for you, there are several free malware removers below that can easily handle such adware that cause misleading Chrome Security update fake alerts to appear.
Delete Chrome Security update related apps through the Control Panel of your computer
Check out the Microsoft Windows Control Panel (Programs and Features section) to see all installed software. We advise to click on the “Date Installed” in order to sort the list of software by the date you installed them. If you see any unknown and dubious applications, they are the ones you need to uninstall.
Make sure you have closed all web browsers and other apps. Next, uninstall any unrequested and suspicious apps from your Control panel.
Windows 10, 8.1, 8
Now, click the Windows button, type “Control panel” in search and press Enter. Select “Programs and Features”, then “Uninstall a program”.
Look around the entire list of software installed on your computer. Most probably, one of them is the adware that causes browsers to open misleading Chrome Security update popup scam. Select the questionable application or the program that name is not familiar to you and uninstall it.
Windows Vista, 7
From the “Start” menu in MS Windows, select “Control Panel”. Under the “Programs” icon, select “Uninstall a program”.
Select the suspicious or any unknown software, then press “Uninstall/Change” button to remove this undesired application from your PC system.
Click the “Start” button, select “Control Panel” option. Click on “Add/Remove Programs”.
Choose an unwanted program, then press “Change/Remove” button. Follow the prompts.
Remove Chrome Security update pop up from Google Chrome
If your Google Chrome internet browser is re-directed to annoying Chrome Security update web-page, it may be necessary to completely reset your web browser program to its default settings.
- First, start the Google Chrome and click the Menu icon (icon in the form of three dots).
- It will open the Google Chrome main menu. Choose More Tools, then click Extensions.
- You’ll see the list of installed extensions. If the list has the extension labeled with “Installed by enterprise policy” or “Installed by your administrator”, then complete the following instructions: Remove Chrome extensions installed by enterprise policy.
- Now open the Chrome menu once again, press the “Settings” menu.
- Next, press “Advanced” link, that located at the bottom of the Settings page.
- On the bottom of the “Advanced settings” page, click the “Reset settings to their original defaults” button.
- The Chrome will display the reset settings dialog box as on the image above.
- Confirm the web browser’s reset by clicking on the “Reset” button.
- To learn more, read the article How to reset Google Chrome settings to default.
Chrome Security update pop-up automatic removal
If your PC system is still infected with adware that causes multiple misleading Chrome Security update alerts and pop ups, then the best way of detection and removal is to use an anti-malware scan on the machine. Download free malicious software removal utilities below and run a full system scan. It will allow you remove all components of the adware from hardisk and Windows registry.
Use Zemana to get rid of Chrome Security update
We advise using the Zemana. You can download and install Zemana Free to detect and get rid of Chrome Security update popup warnings from the Chrome web browsers. When installed and updated, the malware remover will automatically scan and detect all threats exist on your system.
- Installing the Zemana Free is simple. First you will need to download Zemana Anti-Malware from the following link. Save it on your Microsoft Windows desktop.
Author: Zemana Ltd
Category: Security tools
Update: March 3, 2018
- At the download page, click on the Download button. Your internet browser will display the “Save as” dialog box. Please save it onto your Windows desktop.
- After downloading is finished, please close all software and open windows on your personal computer. Next, run a file named Zemana.AntiMalware.Setup.
- This will run the “Setup wizard” of Zemana Anti-Malware (ZAM) onto your computer. Follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
- When the Setup wizard has finished installing, the Zemana will run and open the main window.
- Further, click the “Scan” button . Zemana Anti Malware utility will start scanning the whole computer to find out the ad-supported software which cause misleading Chrome Security update pop-up scam to appear. This task can take quite a while, so please be patient. While the Zemana program is checking, you can see how many objects it has identified as threat.
- As the scanning ends, Zemana will open you the results.
- Once you have selected what you wish to remove from your personal computer press the “Next” button. The utility will remove adware that causes multiple misleading Chrome Security update alerts and popups and move threats to the program’s quarantine. After that process is finished, you may be prompted to restart the PC.
- Close the Zemana Anti-Malware and continue with the next step.
Scan and clean your system of ad-supported software with HitmanPro
Hitman Pro is a free program which designed to get rid of malware, potentially unwanted programs, hijackers and adware from your system running Microsoft Windows 10, 8, 7, XP (32-bit and 64-bit). It’ll help to identify and get rid of adware that causes web-browsers to show misleading Chrome Security update fake alerts, including its files, folders and registry keys.
- Visit the following page to download Hitman Pro. Save it directly to your Windows Desktop.
Category: Security tools
Update: June 28, 2018
- Once downloading is finished, start the Hitman Pro, double-click the HitmanPro.exe file.
- If the “User Account Control” prompts, press Yes to continue.
- In the HitmanPro window, click the “Next” to begin scanning your computer for the adware which causes misleading Chrome Security update pop up on your internet browser. A scan can take anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes, depending on the count of files on your PC and the speed of your PC.
- When the scan is complete, HitmanPro will display you the results. Review the scan results and then click “Next”. Now, click the “Activate free license” button to begin the free 30 days trial to delete all malicious software found.
Use AdBlocker to block Chrome Security update scam
We suggest to install an ad-blocker application that may stop Chrome Security update and other annoying web sites. The ad-blocking utility such as AdGuard is a program which basically removes advertising from the World Wide Web and blocks access to malicious web-pages. Moreover, security experts says that using ad-blocker applications is necessary to stay safe when surfing the Web.
Download AdGuard on your machine from the link below.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: November 15, 2018
After downloading is done, double-click the downloaded file to launch it. The “Setup Wizard” window will show up on the computer screen as displayed on the image below.
Follow the prompts. AdGuard will then be installed and an icon will be placed on your desktop. A window will show up asking you to confirm that you want to see a quick instructions like below.
Click “Skip” button to close the window and use the default settings, or press “Get Started” to see an quick guide that will assist you get to know AdGuard better.
Each time, when you launch your machine, AdGuard will start automatically and stop unwanted pop-up advertisements, block Chrome Security update scam, as well as other harmful or misleading web pages. For an overview of all the features of the application, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the AdGuard icon, which can be found on your desktop.
How does your PC get infected with Chrome Security update pop-up
Many of the free applications out there install unwanted web browser toolbars, browser hijacker infections and potentially unwanted applications like the adware which shows misleading Chrome Security update popup scam on your computer along with them without your knowledge. One has to be attentive while installing freeware in order to avoid accidentally installing additional programs. It is important that you pay attention to the EULA (End User License Agreements) and choose the Custom, Manual or Advanced install type as it will typically disclose what additional apps will also be installed.
After completing the few simple steps shown above, your machine should be free from ad supported software which created to show misleading Chrome Security update pop-up scam within your internet browser and other malware. The Chrome will no longer redirect you to various undesired pages such as Chrome Security update. Unfortunately, if the guide does not help you, then you have caught a new ad-supported software, and then the best way – ask for help here.