What is Trojan.Emotet? Computer security experts has determined that Trojan.Emotet is a malware. It is dropped or downloaded on your computer while surfing the Internet. This security threat can perform a number of harmful actions of a makers’s choice on your PC.
If you still are not sure that your machine is affected with malicious software, then check your machine for the common symptoms of this infection:
- your internet browser shows advertisements where previously you have never seen;
- Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome, Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox shows lots of annoying ads;
- web-browser settings like home page and search provider are hijacked;
- your antivirus software detects an infection;
- Internet connection may be slow.
The Trojan.Emotet virus can steal your private information such as: your ip address, what is a web page you are viewing now, what you are looking for on the Internet, which links you are clicking, and much, much more. This virus may monetize its functionality by collecting data from your browsing sessions and selling it to third party companies. This puts your personal information at a security risk.
In order to get rid of Trojan.Emotet virus from your machine and return PC settings to its default state, please use the Trojan.Emotet removal tutorial below.
Remove Trojan.Emotet (Virus removal guidance)
Not all malware such as Trojan.Emotet virus are easily uninstallable. You might see various types of unwanted changes to the machine settings and might not be able to figure out the program responsible for this activity. The reason for this is that many undesired applications neither appear in Microsoft Windows Control Panel. Therefore in order to fully remove Trojan.Emotet virus, you need to follow the steps below. Read this manual carefully, bookmark or print it, because you may need to exit your internet browser or restart your system.
To remove Trojan.Emotet, execute the steps below:
- Removing the Trojan.Emotet, check the list of installed applications first
- How to remove Trojan.Emotet with Zemana Anti-Malware
- Scan your machine and get rid of Trojan.Emotet virus with HitmanPro
- Use MalwareBytes AntiMalware (MBAM) to remove virus
- Remove Trojan.Emotet virus from Google Chrome
- Delete Trojan.Emotet virus from Mozilla Firefox
- Remove Trojan.Emotet from Internet Explorer
- Run AdBlocker to stay safe online
- To sum up
Removing the Trojan.Emotet, check the list of installed applications first
Some of potentially unwanted programs, ad supported software and virus can be uninstalled using the Add/Remove programs utility that can be found in the Windows Control Panel. So, if you are using any version of Windows and you have noticed an unwanted application, then first try to delete it through Add/Remove programs.
Press Windows button , then press Search . Type “Control panel”and press Enter. If you using Windows XP or Windows 7, then click “Start” and select “Control Panel”. It will show the Windows Control Panel as shown on the screen below.
Further, click “Uninstall a program”
It will open a list of all software installed on your machine. Scroll through the all list, and delete any dubious and unknown software.
How to remove Trojan.Emotet with Zemana Anti-Malware
You can download and use the Zemana Free for free. This antimalware tool will scan all the Microsoft Windows registry keys and files in your PC system along with the system settings and browser extensions. If it finds any malicious software, adware or malicious add-on that is related to Trojan.Emotet virus then the Zemana Anti-Malware will remove them from your machine completely.
- Visit the page linked below to download Zemana Anti Malware. Save it on your Desktop.
Author: Zemana Ltd
Category: Security tools
Update: March 3, 2018
- At the download page, click on the Download button. Your browser will open the “Save as” prompt. Please save it onto your Windows desktop.
- When downloading is finished, please close all applications and open windows on your PC. Next, start a file named Zemana.AntiMalware.Setup.
- This will open the “Setup wizard” of Zemana Free onto your PC system. Follow the prompts and don’t make any changes to default settings.
- When the Setup wizard has finished installing, the Zemana will launch and open the main window.
- Further, press the “Scan” button to perform a system scan with this tool for the Trojan.Emotet and other security threats. This task may take some time, so please be patient. While the tool is checking, you can see number of objects and files has already scanned.
- Once Zemana Anti-Malware (ZAM) has finished scanning, Zemana will show you the results.
- Next, you need to click the “Next” button. The utility will remove the Trojan.Emotet and other security threats. After that process is done, you may be prompted to reboot the system.
- Close the Zemana Anti Malware and continue with the next step.
Scan your machine and get rid of Trojan.Emotet virus with HitmanPro
HitmanPro is a free removal utility that can scan your PC system for a wide range of security threats like ad supported software, malicious software, PUPs as well as virus related files, folders and registry keys. It will perform a deep scan of your system including hard drives and MS Windows registry. After a malicious software is found, it will help you to get rid of all detected threats from your personal computer with a simple click.
- Download Hitman Pro from the following link.
Category: Security tools
Update: June 28, 2018
- When the downloading process is done, double click the Hitman Pro icon. Once this utility is launched, click “Next” button to perform a system scan with this utility for the Trojan.Emotet and other malware. While the Hitman Pro program is checking, you can see how many objects it has identified as threat.
- After the system scan is finished, Hitman Pro will open a list of found items. In order to remove all items, simply click “Next” button. Now click the “Activate free license” button to start the free 30 days trial to remove all malicious software found.
Use MalwareBytes AntiMalware (MBAM) to remove virus
Manual Trojan.Emotet virus removal requires some computer skills. Some files and registry entries that created by the virus can be not completely removed. We suggest that run the MalwareBytes that are completely free your computer of virus. Moreover, this free program will help you to get rid of malicious software, PUPs, ad supported software and toolbars that your computer can be infected too.
- Click the link below to download MalwareBytes Anti Malware. Save it on your Microsoft Windows desktop.
Category: Security tools
Update: February 5, 2019
- At the download page, click on the Download button. Your internet browser will open the “Save as” dialog box. Please save it onto your Windows desktop.
- After the download is finished, please close all applications and open windows on your machine. Double-click on the icon that’s called mb3-setup.
- This will open the “Setup wizard” of MalwareBytes onto your computer. Follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
- When the Setup wizard has finished installing, the MalwareBytes Free will start and display the main window.
- Further, press the “Scan Now” button to begin checking your machine for the Trojan.Emotet and other kinds of potential threats such as malicious software and potentially unwanted software. When a threat is found, the number of the security threats will change accordingly.
- Once MalwareBytes Anti Malware has finished scanning, MalwareBytes Free will open a list of found threats.
- You may get rid of items (move to Quarantine) by simply press the “Quarantine Selected” button. Once disinfection is finished, you may be prompted to reboot the machine.
- Close the Anti-Malware and continue with the next step.
Video instruction, which reveals in detail the steps above.
Remove Trojan.Emotet virus from Google Chrome
If Chrome web-browser settings are infected by Trojan.Emotet virus then ‘Reset Chrome’ is a method that helps to return the internet browser to its factory state. To reset Chrome to the original defaults, follow the steps below.
- First start the Google Chrome and click Menu button (small button in the form of three dots).
- It will display the Chrome main menu. Select More Tools, then click Extensions.
- You’ll see the list of installed addons. If the list has the extension labeled with “Installed by enterprise policy” or “Installed by your administrator”, then complete the following guidance: Remove Chrome extensions installed by enterprise policy.
- Now open the Google Chrome menu once again, click the “Settings” menu.
- You will see the Google Chrome’s settings page. Scroll down and click “Advanced” link.
- Scroll down again and click the “Reset” button.
- The Chrome will open the reset profile settings page as on the image above.
- Next click the “Reset” button.
- Once this procedure is done, your browser’s home page, search engine by default and new tab will be restored to their original defaults.
- To learn more, read the blog post How to reset Google Chrome settings to default.
Delete Trojan.Emotet virus from Mozilla Firefox
If the Firefox settings have been modified by the Trojan.Emotet virus, then resetting it to the default state can help. Essential information such as bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, cookies, auto-fill data and personal dictionaries will not be removed.
Click the Menu button (looks like three horizontal lines), and press the blue Help icon located at the bottom of the drop down menu as shown in the following example.
A small menu will appear, press the “Troubleshooting Information”. On this page, click “Refresh Firefox” button as shown in the figure below.
Follow the onscreen procedure to return your Firefox browser settings to their original settings.
Remove Trojan.Emotet from Internet Explorer
In order to restore all internet browser default search provider, startpage and new tab page you need to reset the Internet Explorer to the state, which was when the Windows was installed on your machine.
First, start the Internet Explorer, press ) button. Next, click “Internet Options” as shown in the following example.
In the “Internet Options” screen select the Advanced tab. Next, click Reset button. The Internet Explorer will open the Reset Internet Explorer settings prompt. Select the “Delete personal settings” check box and click Reset button.
You will now need to reboot your PC system for the changes to take effect. It will remove virus and other malicious software and potentially unwanted apps, disable malicious and ad-supported web browser’s extensions and restore the Internet Explorer’s settings like search provider, home page and newtab to default state.
Run AdBlocker to stay safe online
If you browse the World Wide Web, you cannot avoid malvertising. But you can protect your web browser against it. Download and run an ad-blocker program. AdGuard is an adblocker that can filter out lots of of the malvertising, stoping dynamic scripts from loading malicious content.
- Visit the page linked below to download the latest version of AdGuard for MS Windows. Save it on your Microsoft Windows desktop or in any other place.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: November 15, 2018
- Once the download is complete, run the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” program window. Follow the prompts.
- After the install is done, press “Skip” to close the setup application and use the default settings, or click “Get Started” to see an quick tutorial that will assist you get to know AdGuard better.
- In most cases, the default settings are enough and you don’t need to change anything. Each time, when you run your PC, AdGuard will launch automatically and stop unwanted pop up ads, as well as other harmful or misleading pages. For an overview of all the features of the application, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the icon named AdGuard, that is located on your desktop.
To sum up
Now your machine should be clean of the Trojan.Emotet virus. We suggest that you keep AdGuard (to help you block unwanted popup ads and unwanted harmful sites) and Zemana Free (to periodically scan your system for new malicious software, hijackers and adware). Make sure that you have all the Critical Updates recommended for MS Windows OS. Without regular updates you WILL NOT be protected when new browser hijacker infections, malicious applications and adware are released.
If you are still having problems while trying to remove Trojan.Emotet virus from your PC system, then ask for help here.