What is Prupdater? Prupdater is an one of the many unwanted programs, which can be secretly installed on your PC. This unwanted software belongs to the category of adware (also known as ‘ad-supported’ software).
If you get the Prupdater adware on your machine, it can modify the web-browser’s settings such as start page, newtab and search engine by default and install malicious addon which will show a large number of annoying popup advertisements within the Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Microsoft Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox screen. It is important, do not click on these Prupdater ads, as they can lead you to more malicious or misleading web pages. The best option is to use the guidance posted below to remove Prupdater adware and thereby get rid of any unwanted ads.
The Prupdater adware may inject a large number of ads directly to the webpages that you visit, creating a sense that the sponsored links have been added by the creators of the site. Moreover, legal sponsored links may be replaced on the fake advertisements, that will offer to download and install various unnecessary and malicious software.
The worst is, the Prupdater adware can be used to collect a wide variety of confidential info about you such as what web sites you are opening, what you are looking for the Internet and so on. This confidential info, subsequently, may be transferred third party companies.
Take a deep breath. Learn everything you should know about Prupdater ad supported software removal, how to remove adware from your web browser and system. Find the best free adware and malicious software removal tools here!
How to remove Prupdater (Virus removal guide)
We suggest opting for automatic Prupdater removal in order to delete all ad supported software related entries easily. This way requires scanning the computer with reputable antimalware, e.g. Zemana, MalwareBytes Anti Malware (MBAM) or Hitman Pro. However, if you prefer manual removal steps, you can follow the instructions below in this article. Read it once, after doing so, please print this page as you may need to shut down your browser or reboot your personal computer.
To remove Prupdater, use the following steps:
- How to get rid of Prupdater adware without any software
- Run free malware removal tools to completely delete Prupdater ad supported software
- How to stay safe online
- Tips to prevent Prupdater adware and other unwanted programs
- To sum up
How to get rid of Prupdater adware without any software
The step-by-step guidance will help you get rid of Prupdater adware. These Prupdater removal steps work for the Edge, Microsoft Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome, as well as every version of OS.
Delete adware through the Windows Control Panel
First, go to Microsoft Windows Control Panel and uninstall questionable software, all applications you do not remember installing. It is important to pay the most attention to programs you installed just before Prupdater ads appeared on your browser. If you do not know what a program does, look for the answer on the Net.
Press Windows button , then press Search . Type “Control panel”and press Enter. If you using Windows XP or Windows 7, then click “Start” and select “Control Panel”. It will open the Windows Control Panel as displayed on the screen below.
Further, press “Uninstall a program”
It will show a list of all applications installed on your PC system. Scroll through the all list, and uninstall any dubious and unknown apps.
Remove Prupdater ad-supported software from Google Chrome
Use the Reset internet browser utility of the Chrome to reset all its settings such as newtab page, search engine and home page to original defaults. This is a very useful tool to use, in the case of adware infection.
- First start the Google Chrome and click Menu button (small button in the form of three dots).
- It will show the Chrome main menu. Choose More Tools, then click Extensions.
- You’ll see the list of installed add-ons. If the list has the plugin labeled with “Installed by enterprise policy” or “Installed by your administrator”, then complete the following guide: Remove Chrome extensions installed by enterprise policy.
- Now open the Chrome menu once again, click the “Settings” menu.
- You will see the Google Chrome’s settings page. Scroll down and press “Advanced” link.
- Scroll down again and press the “Reset” button.
- The Chrome will open the reset profile settings page as on the image above.
- Next press the “Reset” button.
- Once this procedure is complete, your internet browser’s startpage, newtab and default search provider will be restored to their original defaults.
- To learn more, read the article How to reset Google Chrome settings to default.
Get rid of Prupdater adware from Internet Explorer
In order to recover all browser settings you need to reset the Internet Explorer to the state, which was when the MS Windows was installed on your PC system.
First, launch the IE. Next, press the button in the form of gear (). It will display the Tools drop-down menu, click the “Internet Options” as displayed in the following example.
In the “Internet Options” window click on the Advanced tab, then click the Reset button. The Internet Explorer will open the “Reset Internet Explorer settings” window as shown in the figure below. Select the “Delete personal settings” check box, then click “Reset” button.
You will now need to restart your personal computer for the changes to take effect.
Remove Prupdater ad supported software from Mozilla Firefox
Resetting Firefox internet browser will reset all the settings to their default state and will remove malicious add-ons and extensions. When using the reset feature, your personal information like passwords, bookmarks, browsing history and web form auto-fill data will be saved.
Click the Menu button (looks like three horizontal lines), and click the blue Help icon located at the bottom of the drop down menu as displayed on the image below.
A small menu will appear, click the “Troubleshooting Information”. On this page, click “Refresh Firefox” button as displayed on the image below.
Follow the onscreen procedure to revert back your Firefox browser settings to their original settings.
Get rid of unwanted Scheduled Tasks
If the annoying Prupdater ads opens automatically on Windows startup or at equal time intervals, then you need to check the Task Scheduler Library and remove all tasks that have been created by the Prupdater adware.
Press Windows and R keys on your keyboard together. It will display a dialog box that called Run. In the text field, type “taskschd.msc” (without the quotes) and click OK. Task Scheduler window opens. In the left-hand side, click “Task Scheduler Library”, as on the image below.
In the middle part you will see a list of installed tasks. Select the first task, its properties will be display just below automatically. Next, click the Actions tab. Necessary to look at the text which is written under Details. Found something suspicious, then you need remove this task. If you are not sure that executes the task, then google it. If it’s a component of the malicious programs, then this task also should be removed.
Further click on it with the right mouse button and select Delete as shown on the screen below.
Repeat this step, if you have found a few tasks that have been created by the Prupdater. Once is complete, close the Task Scheduler window.
Run free malware removal tools to completely delete Prupdater ad supported software
There are not many good free anti-malware applications with high detection ratio. The effectiveness of malicious software removal utilities depends on various factors, mostly on how often their virus/malware signatures DB are updated in order to effectively detect modern malware, ad supported software, hijacker infections and other PUPs. We recommend to use several programs, not just one. These applications that listed below will help you get rid of all components of the ad-supported software from your disk and Windows registry and thereby delete Prupdater adware.
Use Zemana AntiMalware (ZAM) to remove Prupdater adware
Zemana AntiMalware is a free application for Windows OS to search for and remove potentially unwanted apps, adware, harmful browser addons, browser toolbars, and other unwanted applications such as the Prupdater.
Installing the Zemana AntiMalware is simple. First you will need to download Zemana Anti-Malware on your MS Windows Desktop from the link below.
Author: Zemana Ltd
Category: Security tools
Update: March 3, 2018
After downloading is finished, close all programs and windows on your machine. Double-click the install file called Zemana.AntiMalware.Setup. If the “User Account Control” prompt pops up like below, click the “Yes” button.
It will open the “Setup wizard” that will help you setup Zemana on your system. Follow the prompts and don’t make any changes to default settings.
Once setup is finished successfully, Zemana will automatically start and you can see its main screen as displayed in the following example.
Now click the “Scan” button to start checking your personal computer for the Prupdater adware that causes internet browsers to display undesired popups. This procedure may take quite a while, so please be patient. When a malware, adware or potentially unwanted programs are detected, the number of the security threats will change accordingly. Wait until the the checking is finished.
When the scan is finished, Zemana will display a scan report. In order to remove all items, simply press “Next” button. The Zemana AntiMalware (ZAM) will remove Prupdater ad-supported software and other unwanted software. After that process is done, you may be prompted to reboot the machine.
Use HitmanPro to get rid of Prupdater ad supported software
All-in-all, HitmanPro is a fantastic utility to free your computer from any undesired apps such as Prupdater adware that causes tons of intrusive pop-ups. The HitmanPro is portable application that meaning, you don’t need to install it to use it. Hitman Pro is compatible with all versions of Microsoft Windows operating system from MS Windows XP to Windows 10. Both 64-bit and 32-bit systems are supported.
- Please go to the link below to download the latest version of Hitman Pro for MS Windows. Save it to your Desktop so that you can access the file easily.
Category: Security tools
Update: June 28, 2018
- Once the download is complete, start the HitmanPro, double-click the HitmanPro.exe file.
- If the “User Account Control” prompts, click Yes to continue.
- In the HitmanPro window, click the “Next” for checking your PC for the Prupdater adware. Depending on your system, the scan may take anywhere from a few minutes to close to an hour.
- When the checking is complete, Hitman Pro will open a scan report. When you are ready, click “Next”. Now, press the “Activate free license” button to start the free 30 days trial to get rid of all malicious software found.
How to delete Prupdater with Malwarebytes
Delete Prupdater adware manually is difficult and often the adware is not completely removed. Therefore, we suggest you to use the Malwarebytes Free that are completely clean your computer. Moreover, the free program will allow you to remove malware, potentially unwanted software, toolbars and browser hijackers that your machine may be infected too.
- Download MalwareBytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) on your Microsoft Windows Desktop from the following link.
Category: Security tools
Update: March 20, 2018
- At the download page, click on the Download button. Your browser will display the “Save as” dialog box. Please save it onto your Windows desktop.
- After downloading is finished, please close all programs and open windows on your system. Double-click on the icon that’s named mb3-setup.
- This will run the “Setup wizard” of MalwareBytes Free onto your machine. Follow the prompts and don’t make any changes to default settings.
- When the Setup wizard has finished installing, the MalwareBytes will start and open the main window.
- Further, click the “Scan Now” button to find the Prupdater adware and other security threats. This task can take some time, so please be patient. When a malware, ad-supported software or PUPs are found, the count of the security threats will change accordingly.
- Once the system scan is finished, MalwareBytes will produce a list of undesired programs ad-supported software.
- Next, you need to click the “Quarantine Selected” button. When the cleaning procedure is complete, you may be prompted to restart the PC.
- Close the Anti Malware and continue with the next step.
Video instruction, which reveals in detail the steps above.
How to stay safe online
In order to increase your security and protect your computer against new annoying ads and harmful pages, you need to run ad blocking application that stops an access to malicious ads and pages. Moreover, the application may block the open of intrusive advertising, that also leads to faster loading of web sites and reduce the consumption of web traffic.
Installing the AdGuard is simple. First you’ll need to download AdGuard on your MS Windows Desktop by clicking on the following link.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: July 17, 2017
After the download is done, run the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” screen as displayed on the image below.
Follow the prompts. After the setup is complete, you will see a window as shown on the screen below.
You can click “Skip” to close the installation program and use the default settings, or click “Get Started” button to see an quick tutorial that will assist you get to know AdGuard better.
In most cases, the default settings are enough and you don’t need to change anything. Each time, when you start your personal computer, AdGuard will start automatically and block pop up advertisements, as well as other malicious or misleading websites. For an overview of all the features of the application, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the AdGuard icon, which is located on your desktop.
Tips to prevent Prupdater adware and other unwanted programs
In the process of installing a new application, you should select a Manual, Advanced or Custom installation mode to control what components and bundled software to be installed, otherwise you run the risk of infecting your PC system with an unwanted software like the Prupdater.
To sum up
Now your PC system should be free of the Prupdater adware that causes multiple undesired ads and pop-ups. We suggest that you keep Zemana AntiMalware (ZAM) (to periodically scan your machine for new ad supported softwares and other malicious software) and AdGuard (to help you block intrusive ads and harmful web sites). Moreover, to prevent any ad-supported software, please stay clear of unknown and third party programs, make sure that your antivirus application, turn on the option to find out potentially unwanted programs.
If you need more help with Prupdater related issues, go to here.