What is NetMeterX? NetMeterX is an adware. It can change Microsoft Windows OS and browsers settings, download and install other unwanted software. It will make your computer run very slow. On current date, the NetMeterX adware continues to increase the number of personal computers which have been infected.
Once installed, the NetMeterX adware will be configured to launch automatically when MS Windows starts. It may open lots of intrusive pop up ads, inject harmful code into web-pages that you are opening in your web-browser, hijack web-browser’s settings such as startpage and search engine, and so on.
The NetMeterX adware can collect your World Wide Web browsing activity by recording URLs visited, IP addresses, web-browser version and type, cookie information, Internet Service Provider (ISP) and webpages visited. Such kind of behavior can lead to serious security problems or user data theft. This is another reason why this adware should be removed immediately.
We strongly suggest that you perform the guide below that will assist you to remove NetMeterX adware using the standard features of Windows and some proven free software.
Remove NetMeterX from Windows 10 (8, 7, XP)
When a malicious software like the NetMeterX gets installed on your PC without your knowledge, it is not easy to uninstall. Most commonly, there is no Uninstall program that simply delete NetMeterX adware from your machine. So, we advise using several well-proven free specialized tools like Zemana Anti-Malware (ZAM), MalwareBytes or HitmanPro. But the best method to remove NetMeterX adware will be to perform several manual steps, after that additionally run antimalware tools.
To remove NetMeterX, follow the steps below:
- Delete potentially unwanted software through the Microsoft Windows Control Panel
- Run Zemana Free to remove NetMeterX adware
- Remove NetMeterX from internet browsers with Hitman Pro
- Get rid of NetMeterX adware with Malwarebytes
- Remove NetMeterX adware from Google Chrome
- Remove NetMeterX adware from Mozilla Firefox
- Get rid of NetMeterX adware from Internet Explorer
- How to stay safe online
- Finish words
Delete potentially unwanted software through the Microsoft Windows Control Panel
Some potentially unwanted software, browser hijacking applications and ad supported software can be removed by uninstalling the free applications they came with. If this way does not succeed, then looking them up in the list of installed applications in Windows Control Panel. Use the “Uninstall” command in order to remove them.
Make sure you have closed all web-browsers and other applications. Next, delete any unknown and suspicious applications from your Control panel.
Windows 10, 8.1, 8
Now, click the Windows button, type “Control panel” in search and press Enter. Choose “Programs and Features”, then “Uninstall a program”.
Look around the entire list of apps installed on your PC. Most probably, one of them is the adware and other kinds of potential threats like malicious software and potentially unwanted apps. Choose the questionable program or the program that name is not familiar to you and uninstall it.
Windows Vista, 7
From the “Start” menu in Microsoft Windows, select “Control Panel”. Under the “Programs” icon, select “Uninstall a program”.
Choose the questionable or any unknown programs, then click “Uninstall/Change” button to uninstall this undesired application from your computer.
Click the “Start” button, select “Control Panel” option. Click on “Add/Remove Programs”.
Choose an undesired program, then click “Change/Remove” button. Follow the prompts.
Run Zemana Free to remove NetMeterX adware
Download Zemana Free to remove NetMeterX automatically from your computer. This is a freeware tool specially created for malicious software removal. This utility can remove adware, hijacker from your computer, installed web browsers and Windows registry automatically.
Zemana Free can be downloaded from the following link. Save it to your Desktop.
Author: Zemana Ltd
Category: Security tools
Update: March 3, 2018
When downloading is complete, close all apps and windows on your computer. Open a directory in which you saved it. Double-click on the icon that’s called Zemana.AntiMalware.Setup as displayed below.
When the install starts, you will see the “Setup wizard” that will help you install Zemana Anti Malware (ZAM) on your computer.
Once install is complete, you will see window as on the image below.
Now click the “Scan” button to scan for the NetMeterX adware related files, folders and registry keys. While the tool is scanning, you can see count of objects and files has already scanned.
When Zemana has completed scanning, a list of all threats found is produced. Make sure all items have ‘checkmark’ and click “Next” button.
The Zemana will remove adware and other malicious software and PUPs.
Remove NetMeterX from internet browsers with Hitman Pro
Hitman Pro is a free program which made to get rid of malware, PUPs, ad-supported software and browser hijackers from your machine running MS Windows 10, 8, 7, XP (32-bit and 64-bit). It will help to scan for and remove adware and other security threats, including its files, folders and registry keys.
- HitmanPro can be downloaded from the following link. Save it directly to your MS Windows Desktop.
Category: Security tools
Update: June 28, 2018
- When the download is complete, double click the HitmanPro icon. Once this tool is opened, click “Next” button for scanning your computer for the NetMeterX adware and other kinds of potential threats like malware and PUPs. This process can take quite a while, so please be patient. While the HitmanPro utility is scanning, you may see number of objects it has identified as being affected by malicious software.
- After HitmanPro has finished scanning your PC, HitmanPro will show a screen which contains a list of malware that has been detected. Make sure all items have ‘checkmark’ and press “Next” button. Now press the “Activate free license” button to start the free 30 days trial to delete all malicious software found.
Get rid of NetMeterX adware with Malwarebytes
We suggest using the Malwarebytes Free which are completely clean your PC system of the NetMeterX adware. The free tool is an advanced malicious software removal application designed by (c) Malwarebytes lab. This program uses the world’s most popular anti malware technology. It’s able to help you delete adwares, potentially unwanted programs, malicious software, adware, toolbars, ransomware and other security threats from your system for free.
- Download MalwareBytes from the following link.
Category: Security tools
Update: February 5, 2019
- At the download page, click on the Download button. Your web browser will display the “Save as” prompt. Please save it onto your Windows desktop.
- Once downloading is complete, please close all apps and open windows on your machine. Double-click on the icon that’s called mb3-setup.
- This will launch the “Setup wizard” of MalwareBytes onto your personal computer. Follow the prompts and don’t make any changes to default settings.
- When the Setup wizard has finished installing, the MalwareBytes Free will run and show the main window.
- Further, click the “Scan Now” button . MalwareBytes application will scan through the whole computer for the NetMeterX adware and other security threats. Depending on your machine, the scan can take anywhere from a few minutes to close to an hour.
- As the scanning ends, MalwareBytes Free will open a list of detected items.
- Review the scan results and then press the “Quarantine Selected” button. When disinfection is finished, you may be prompted to restart the computer.
- Close the AntiMalware and continue with the next step.
Video instruction, which reveals in detail the steps above.
Remove NetMeterX adware from Google Chrome
If you have malware problem or the Chrome is running slow, then reset Google Chrome settings can help you. In the steps below we will show you a way to reset your Google Chrome settings to default values without reinstall. This will also help to remove changes to browser settings created by NetMeterX adware.
- First, start the Chrome and click the Menu icon (icon in the form of three dots).
- It will open the Chrome main menu. Choose More Tools, then press Extensions.
- You’ll see the list of installed extensions. If the list has the plugin labeled with “Installed by enterprise policy” or “Installed by your administrator”, then complete the following instructions: Remove Chrome extensions installed by enterprise policy.
- Now open the Chrome menu once again, click the “Settings” menu.
- Next, click “Advanced” link, that located at the bottom of the Settings page.
- On the bottom of the “Advanced settings” page, click the “Reset settings to their original defaults” button.
- The Chrome will display the reset settings prompt as shown on the screen above.
- Confirm the browser’s reset by clicking on the “Reset” button.
- To learn more, read the post How to reset Chrome settings to default.
Remove NetMeterX adware from Mozilla Firefox
If the Mozilla Firefox internet browser startpage, search provider by default and new tab are changed by the NetMeterX and you want to recover the settings back to their original state, then you should follow the steps below. However, your saved bookmarks and passwords will not be lost. This will not affect your history, passwords, bookmarks, and other saved data.
First, run the Firefox and press button. It will display the drop-down menu on the right-part of the internet browser. Further, click the Help button () as displayed below.
In the Help menu, select the “Troubleshooting Information” option. Another way to open the “Troubleshooting Information” screen – type “about:support” in the web-browser adress bar and press Enter. It will display the “Troubleshooting Information” page as on the image below. In the upper-right corner of this screen, click the “Refresh Firefox” button.
It will open the confirmation prompt. Further, click the “Refresh Firefox” button. The Firefox will begin a procedure to fix your problems that caused by the adware and other malware and potentially unwanted software. When, it’s finished, click the “Finish” button.
Get rid of NetMeterX adware from Internet Explorer
In order to restore all internet browser default search provider, new tab and start page you need to reset the IE to the state, that was when the Windows was installed on your machine.
First, launch the Internet Explorer. Next, press the button in the form of gear (). It will display the Tools drop-down menu, click the “Internet Options” like below.
In the “Internet Options” window click on the Advanced tab, then click the Reset button. The Internet Explorer will show the “Reset Internet Explorer settings” window as displayed on the image below. Select the “Delete personal settings” check box, then click “Reset” button.
You will now need to reboot your computer for the changes to take effect.
How to stay safe online
To put it simply, you need to use an adblocker tool (AdGuard, for example). It’ll block and protect you from all unwanted web-sites, ads and pop-ups. To be able to do that, the ad blocker program uses a list of filters. Each filter is a rule that describes a malicious web site, an advertising content, a banner and others. The ad-blocker program automatically uses these filters, depending on the web sites you’re visiting.
- Visit the following page to download AdGuard. Save it on your Windows desktop or in any other place.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: November 15, 2018
- After downloading it, run the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” program window. Follow the prompts.
- After the installation is finished, click “Skip” to close the installation application and use the default settings, or click “Get Started” to see an quick tutorial that will allow you get to know AdGuard better.
- In most cases, the default settings are enough and you do not need to change anything. Each time, when you launch your machine, AdGuard will start automatically and stop unwanted ads, as well as other harmful or misleading web-sites. For an overview of all the features of the program, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the icon called AdGuard, which is located on your desktop.
Now your PC system should be free of the NetMeterX adware. We suggest that you keep AdGuard (to help you block unwanted pop up advertisements and unwanted malicious web sites) and Zemana AntiMalware (to periodically scan your computer for new malware, hijacker infections and adware). Make sure that you have all the Critical Updates recommended for Windows OS. Without regular updates you WILL NOT be protected when new hijacker infections, malicious apps and ad supported software are released.
If you are still having problems while trying to remove NetMeterX from your personal computer, then ask for help here.