If your web-browser gets redirected to undesired page named Linnk.me or a large number of ads are displayed where they should not be then most probably that you unintentionally installed PUP (potentially unwanted program) from the ‘ad-supported’ software (also known as adware) category on your PC system. Adware is a PUP (potentially unwanted program) that made to display undesired pop-up deals on the affected computer. In this blog post we will discuss what adware is and how can you get rid of Linnk.me redirect from the Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, MS Edge and Google Chrome manually or with free adware removal utilities compatible with Microsoft Windows 10 (8, 7 and XP).
While your PC is affected with the ‘ad supported’ software, the Microsoft Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge, Chrome and Firefox may be re-directed to undesired Linnk.me site. Of course, the adware may not cause damages to your files or Windows system, but it may open lots of annoying advertisements. These ads will be injected within the content of web pages that are you opening in your web-browser and can be varied: pop-up ads, in-text ads, different sized banners, offers to install an questionable software. The advertisements will appear on all web sites, including sites where previously you have never seen any sponsored links.
In addition to that, as was mentioned earlier, some adware to also modify all web-browsers shortcut files which located on your Desktop or Start menu. So, every affected shortcut file will try to redirect your web-browser to unwanted ad web pages like Linnk.me, certain of which might be harmful. It can make the whole machine more vulnerable to hacker attacks.
Therefore, the adware is quite dangerous. So, we suggest you remove it from your PC as quickly as possible. Follow the tutorial presented below to remove Linnk.me pop-up advertisements from the Chrome, Microsoft Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox and MS Edge.
Remove Linnk.me redirect
When the adware gets installed on your personal computer without your knowledge, it is not easy to remove. In many cases, there is no Uninstall program which simply delete the adware related to Linnk.me advertisements from your personal computer. So, we recommend using several well-proven free specialized utilities like Zemana Anti Malware (ZAM), MalwareBytes AntiMalware (MBAM) or Hitman Pro. But the best solution to delete Linnk.me ads will be to perform several manual steps, after that additionally run antimalware utilities.
To remove Linnk.me, complete the following steps:
- How to manually remove Linnk.me
- Scan your computer and remove Linnk.me pop-up advertisements with free tools
- How to stop Linnk.me popup ads
- How did Linnk.me ads get on your PC system
- To sum up
How to manually remove Linnk.me
Most common adware may be deleted without any antivirus applications. The manual ad supported software removal is few simple steps that will teach you how to delete the Linnk.me pop-up ads.
Uninstalling the Linnk.me, check the list of installed applications first
The best way to start the machine cleanup is to delete unknown and questionable applications. Using the MS Windows Control Panel you can do this quickly and easily. This step, in spite of its simplicity, should not be ignored, because the removing of unneeded programs can clean up the Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Edge and IE from pop-ups, hijackers and so on.
- If you are using Windows 8, 8.1 or 10 then press Windows button, next click Search. Type “Control panel”and press Enter.
- If you are using Windows XP, Vista, 7, then click “Start” button and click “Control Panel”.
- It will display the Windows Control Panel.
- Further, click “Uninstall a program” under Programs category.
- It will open a list of all software installed on the PC.
- Scroll through the all list, and uninstall questionable and unknown software. To quickly find the latest installed apps, we recommend sort software by date.
See more details in the video instructions below.
Get rid of Linnk.me advertisements from Internet Explorer
The IE reset is great if your web-browser is hijacked or you have unwanted addo-ons or toolbars on your web-browser, which installed by an malicious software.
First, open the Internet Explorer, then click ‘gear’ icon . It will display the Tools drop-down menu on the right part of the web-browser, then press the “Internet Options” as displayed in the figure below.
In the “Internet Options” screen, select the “Advanced” tab, then click the “Reset” button. The Internet Explorer will display the “Reset Internet Explorer settings” dialog box. Further, click the “Delete personal settings” check box to select it. Next, click the “Reset” button as displayed on the screen below.
When the process is finished, click “Close” button. Close the Internet Explorer and reboot your computer for the changes to take effect. This step will help you to restore your internet browser’s newtab, start page and default search provider to default state.
Remove Linnk.me from Firefox by resetting web browser settings
If the Firefox web browser is redirected to Linnk.me and you want to restore the Firefox settings back to their default state, then you should follow the step-by-step instructions below. However, your saved bookmarks and passwords will not be lost.
First, start the Firefox. Next, click the button in the form of three horizontal stripes (). It will display the drop-down menu. Next, click the Help button ().
In the Help menu click the “Troubleshooting Information”. In the upper-right corner of the “Troubleshooting Information” page click on “Refresh Firefox” button like below.
Confirm your action, press the “Refresh Firefox”.
Remove Linnk.me pop up ads from Google Chrome
Reset Chrome settings is a easy way to remove the browser hijacker infections, malicious and ‘ad-supported’ extensions, as well as to restore the browser’s start page, new tab and default search provider that have been changed by ad-supported software responsible for redirecting your browser to Linnk.me web page.
Open the Google Chrome menu by clicking on the button in the form of three horizontal dotes (). It will show the drop-down menu. Choose More Tools, then click Extensions.
Carefully browse through the list of installed addons. If the list has the plugin labeled with “Installed by enterprise policy” or “Installed by your administrator”, then complete the following instructions: Remove Google Chrome extensions installed by enterprise policy otherwise, just go to the step below.
Open the Chrome main menu again, click to “Settings” option.
Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the “Advanced” link. Now scroll down until the Reset settings section is visible, as shown in the figure below and click the “Reset settings to their original defaults” button.
Confirm your action, press the “Reset” button.
Scan your computer and remove Linnk.me pop-up advertisements with free tools
The ‘ad supported’ software may hide its components which are difficult for you to find out and remove completely. This may lead to the fact that after some time, the adware responsible for redirecting your web-browser to Linnk.me web-site once again infect your system. Moreover, We want to note that it’s not always safe to remove ‘ad supported’ software manually, if you do not have much experience in setting up and configuring the Windows operating system. The best solution to find out and delete adware is to use free malware removal software.
Scan and free your internet browser of Linnk.me pop up ads with Zemana Anti-malware
Zemana Anti-malware highly recommended, because it can detect security threats such ad-supported software and adwares which most ‘classic’ antivirus software fail to pick up on. Moreover, if you have any Linnk.me pop up advertisements removal problems which cannot be fixed by this utility automatically, then Zemana Anti-malware provides 24X7 online assistance from the highly experienced support staff.
- Installing the Zemana is simple. First you will need to download Zemana AntiMalware on your system by clicking on the following link.
Author: Zemana Ltd
Category: Security tools
Update: March 3, 2018
- Once the downloading process is finished, close all applications and windows on your PC. Open a directory in which you saved it. Double-click on the icon that’s named Zemana.AntiMalware.Setup.
- Further, click Next button and follow the prompts.
- Once installation is done, press the “Scan” button . Zemana Anti Malware (ZAM) program will scan through the whole computer for the adware related to Linnk.me redirect. This task can take some time, so please be patient.
- Once Zemana AntiMalware has completed scanning your machine, the results are displayed in the scan report. Review the report and then click “Next”. When the cleaning process is complete, you can be prompted to restart your PC system.
Use HitmanPro to get rid of Linnk.me pop up advertisements from internet browser
All-in-all, Hitman Pro is a fantastic tool to clean your PC from any undesired applications such as ‘ad supported’ software responsible for redirecting your internet browser to Linnk.me website. The Hitman Pro is portable program that meaning, you don’t need to install it to run it. Hitman Pro is compatible with all versions of MS Windows operating system from Microsoft Windows XP to Windows 10. Both 64-bit and 32-bit systems are supported.
- Please go to the following link to download the latest version of HitmanPro for MS Windows. Save it on your Desktop.
Category: Security tools
Update: June 28, 2018
- After downloading is done, start the Hitman Pro, double-click the HitmanPro.exe file.
- If the “User Account Control” prompts, press Yes to continue.
- In the HitmanPro window, click the “Next” to perform a system scan with this utility for the adware related to Linnk.me popups. Depending on your system, the scan may take anywhere from a few minutes to close to an hour. While the HitmanPro utility is checking, you can see how many objects it has identified as being infected by malicious software.
- Once the scanning is finished, Hitman Pro will open a screen which contains a list of malware that has been found. When you’re ready, press “Next”. Now, press the “Activate free license” button to begin the free 30 days trial to delete all malware found.
How to delete Linnk.me with Malwarebytes
We recommend using the Malwarebytes Free which are completely clean your PC system of the adware. The free tool is an advanced malware removal program designed by (c) Malwarebytes lab. This program uses the world’s most popular anti malware technology. It is able to help you remove unwanted Linnk.me advertisements from your web browsers, potentially unwanted programs, malware, hijackers, toolbars, ransomware and other security threats from your PC for free.
Installing the MalwareBytes Free is simple. First you’ll need to download MalwareBytes Free from the following link.
Category: Security tools
Update: March 20, 2018
When the downloading process is complete, close all applications and windows on your PC system. Open a directory in which you saved it. Double-click on the icon that’s named mb3-setup as shown in the figure below.
When the installation starts, you’ll see the “Setup wizard” which will help you install Malwarebytes on your system.
Once installation is finished, you will see window as shown below.
Now click the “Scan Now” button . MalwareBytes utility will begin scanning the whole computer to find out adware that causes browsers to show annoying Linnk.me pop up advertisements. A scan can take anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes, depending on the number of files on your computer and the speed of your system. While the tool is scanning, you may see how many objects and files has already scanned.
Once the scan get completed, MalwareBytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) will show a scan report. Make sure all threats have ‘checkmark’ and press “Quarantine Selected” button.
The Malwarebytes will now begin to get rid of ‘ad supported’ software that responsible for the appearance of Linnk.me pop up ads. When disinfection is finished, you may be prompted to restart your computer.
The following video explains step-by-step instructions on how to get rid of hijacker, ‘ad supported’ software and other malware with MalwareBytes Anti-Malware.
How to stop Linnk.me popup ads
If you browse the Internet, you can’t avoid malvertising. But you can protect your browser against it. Download and run an adblocker program. AdGuard is an ad blocker which can filter out tons of of the malicious advertising, stoping dynamic scripts from loading harmful content.
- Visit the page linked below to download AdGuard. Save it directly to your Windows Desktop.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: July 17, 2017
- After the download is complete, start the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” program window. Follow the prompts.
- After the installation is complete, press “Skip” to close the install program and use the default settings, or press “Get Started” to see an quick tutorial which will help you get to know AdGuard better.
- In most cases, the default settings are enough and you do not need to change anything. Each time, when you launch your personal computer, AdGuard will run automatically and stop pop-up ads, Linnk.me redirect, as well as other harmful or misleading web-sites. For an overview of all the features of the program, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the icon called AdGuard, that is located on your desktop.
How did Linnk.me ads get on your PC system
It’s very important to pay attention to additional checkboxes during the installation of freeware to avoid installing of potentially unwanted applications, adware, browser hijackers or other undesired software. Never set up the optional programs that the application wants to install with it. Inattentive free software download can result in setup of unwanted program like this adware responsible for Linnk.me pop ups.
To sum up
Now your PC should be free of the ad supported software responsible for redirections to Linnk.me. We suggest that you keep AdGuard (to help you stop unwanted pop-up advertisements and intrusive malicious web-sites) and Zemana Anti Malware (ZAM) (to periodically scan your personal computer for new malware, hijackers and adware). Make sure that you have all the Critical Updates recommended for Windows operating system. Without regular updates you WILL NOT be protected when new hijackers, malicious apps and ad supported software are released.
If you are still having problems while trying to get rid of Linnk.me popup ads from your web-browser, then ask for help here.