If you find that the browser newtab page, start page and default search provider have replaced to Search.searchtheweb.today without your knowledge or permission then you need to know that your internet browser is affected by an obnoxious PUP (potentially unwanted program), specifically a browser hijacker. Browser hijacker is small program or browser extension that can change your start page and search provider, reroute you to web-sites you never intended to visit, collect search queries and personal data. In the post below you will find guide about how to return internet browser settings to their original defaults and fully remove Search.searchtheweb.today from IE, MS Edge, Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox.
In addition, the Search.searchtheweb.today browser hijacker infection can also change the search engine selected in the browser. When you try to search on the infected web browser, you will be presented with search results, consisting of advertisements and Google (or Yahoo, or Bing) search results for your query. Among these search results can occur links that lead to undesired and ad web sites.
As well as undesired browser redirections to Search.searchtheweb.today, the hijacker can gather your Net surfing activity by recording URLs visited, IP addresses, web-browser version and type, cookie information, Internet Service Provider (ISP) and pages visited. Such kind of behavior can lead to serious security problems or personal data theft. This is another reason why the hijacker that redirects the internet browser to Search.searchtheweb.today, is defined as potentially unwanted application (PUA).
We suggest you to delete Search.searchtheweb.today start page and clean your computer of browser hijacker ASAP, until the presence of the hijacker infection has not led to even worse consequences. Follow the few simple steps below that will allow you to completely remove Search.searchtheweb.today home page, using only the built-in Windows features and a few of specialized free utilities.
Remove Search.searchtheweb.today from Google Chrome, Firefox, IE, Edge
Fortunately, we have an effective solution which will assist you manually or/and automatically remove Search.searchtheweb.today from your PC and bring your browser settings, including default search engine, new tab and home page, back to normal. Below you’ll find a removal guide with all the steps you may need to successfully remove this hijacker and its components. Read it once, after doing so, please print this page as you may need to close your internet browser or restart your machine.
To remove Search.searchtheweb.today, complete the following steps:
- How to manually remove Search.searchtheweb.today
- How to automatically remove Search.searchtheweb.today browser hijacker
- How to stop Search.searchtheweb.today
- Tips to prevent Search.searchtheweb.today and other unwanted software
- Finish words
How to manually remove Search.searchtheweb.today
Steps to delete Search.searchtheweb.today hijacker without any applications are presented below. Be sure to carry out the step-by-step guide completely to fully get rid of this undesired Search.searchtheweb.today startpage.
Remove Search.searchtheweb.today associated software by using Windows Control Panel
Some PUPs, browser hijacking apps and ‘ad supported’ software can be removed by uninstalling the free applications they came with. If this way does not succeed, then looking them up in the list of installed apps in MS Windows Control Panel. Use the “Uninstall” command in order to remove them.
Windows 8, 8.1, 10
When the ‘Control Panel’ opens, press the ‘Uninstall a program’ link under Programs category as shown in the figure below.
You will see the ‘Uninstall a program’ panel as displayed on the image below.
Very carefully look around the entire list of software installed on your PC system. Most probably, one of them is the hijacker related to Search.searchtheweb.today startpage. If you’ve many applications installed, you can help simplify the search of malicious programs by sort the list by date of installation. Once you’ve found a dubious, unwanted or unused application, right click to it, after that click ‘Uninstall’.
Windows XP, Vista, 7
Once the Windows ‘Control Panel’ opens, you need to click ‘Uninstall a program’ under ‘Programs’ as on the image below.
You will see a list of software installed on your computer. We recommend to sort the list by date of installation to quickly find the programs that were installed last. Most probably, it is the browser hijacker that developed to redirect your web-browser to the Search.searchtheweb.today web page. If you are in doubt, you can always check the application by doing a search for her name in Google, Yahoo or Bing. Once the program which you need to uninstall is found, simply click on its name, and then click ‘Uninstall’ as displayed below.
Remove Search.searchtheweb.today from Internet Explorer
The Microsoft Internet Explorer reset is great if your browser is hijacked or you have unwanted add-ons or toolbars on your browser, that installed by a malicious software.
First, open the Internet Explorer. Next, click the button in the form of gear (). It will display the Tools drop-down menu, click the “Internet Options” as on the image below.
In the “Internet Options” window click on the Advanced tab, then click the Reset button. The IE will open the “Reset Internet Explorer settings” window as on the image below. Select the “Delete personal settings” check box, then click “Reset” button.
You will now need to reboot your machine for the changes to take effect.
Delete Search.searchtheweb.today from Firefox by resetting web browser settings
If your Firefox web browser home page has replaced to Search.searchtheweb.today without your permission or an unknown search engine opens results for your search, then it may be time to perform the internet browser reset. It will keep your personal information such as browsing history, bookmarks, passwords and web form auto-fill data.
First, start the Mozilla Firefox. Next, click the button in the form of three horizontal stripes (). It will display the drop-down menu. Next, click the Help button ().
In the Help menu press the “Troubleshooting Information”. In the upper-right corner of the “Troubleshooting Information” page click on “Refresh Firefox” button as displayed in the figure below.
Confirm your action, click the “Refresh Firefox”.
Delete Search.searchtheweb.today from Chrome
Like other modern web-browsers, the Chrome has the ability to reset the settings to their default values and thereby recover the browser home page, search provider and new tab page that have been modified by the Search.searchtheweb.today hijacker infection.
- First, start the Google Chrome and press the Menu icon (icon in the form of three dots).
- It will open the Google Chrome main menu. Choose More Tools, then click Extensions.
- You will see the list of installed extensions. If the list has the extension labeled with “Installed by enterprise policy” or “Installed by your administrator”, then complete the following guide: Remove Chrome extensions installed by enterprise policy.
- Now open the Google Chrome menu once again, click the “Settings” menu.
- Next, press “Advanced” link, that located at the bottom of the Settings page.
- On the bottom of the “Advanced settings” page, click the “Reset settings to their original defaults” button.
- The Chrome will open the reset settings dialog box as shown on the screen above.
- Confirm the web-browser’s reset by clicking on the “Reset” button.
- To learn more, read the post How to reset Chrome settings to default.
How to automatically remove Search.searchtheweb.today browser hijacker
Many antivirus companies have made apps that allow detect and remove hijacker, and thereby revert back installed web-browsers settings. Below is a a few of the free programs you may want to use. Your machine can have a huge number of potentially unwanted applications, adware and hijackers installed at the same time, so we suggest, if any unwanted or malicious application returns after rebooting the machine, then launch your machine into Safe Mode and run the anti-malware utility once again.
Use Zemana Free to get rid of browser hijacker
We suggest using the Zemana AntiMalware (ZAM) that are completely clean your system of the browser hijacker. The tool is an advanced malware removal program designed by (c) Zemana lab. It is able to help you delete potentially unwanted software, hijacker infections, adware, malicious software, toolbars, ransomware and other security threats from your computer for free.
- Zemana AntiMalware can be downloaded from the following link. Save it on your Windows desktop.
Author: Zemana Ltd
Category: Security tools
Update: March 3, 2018
- At the download page, click on the Download button. Your internet browser will show the “Save as” prompt. Please save it onto your Windows desktop.
- After the downloading process is finished, please close all applications and open windows on your personal computer. Next, run a file called Zemana.AntiMalware.Setup.
- This will run the “Setup wizard” of Zemana Free onto your personal computer. Follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
- When the Setup wizard has finished installing, the Zemana AntiMalware (ZAM) will run and show the main window.
- Further, press the “Scan” button to perform a system scan with this tool for the hijacker infection responsible for redirecting your web-browser to Search.searchtheweb.today web site. A system scan can take anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes, depending on your personal computer. While the Zemana Anti-Malware (ZAM) tool is scanning, you can see number of objects it has identified as being infected by malicious software.
- When Zemana Anti Malware has finished scanning, Zemana Anti-Malware (ZAM) will produce a list of unwanted and adware.
- Next, you need to click the “Next” button. The tool will start to delete hijacker which modifies browser settings to replace your search engine, newtab and home page with Search.searchtheweb.today web site. Once that process is done, you may be prompted to restart the machine.
- Close the Zemana and continue with the next step.
Use Hitman Pro to remove Search.searchtheweb.today search
HitmanPro is a free removal tool that can be downloaded and use to remove hijackers, ‘ad supported’ software, malicious software, potentially unwanted applications, toolbars and other threats from your personal computer. You can use this tool to look for threats even if you have an antivirus or any other security program.
Hitman Pro can be downloaded from the following link. Save it on your MS Windows desktop or in any other place.
Category: Security tools
Update: June 28, 2018
Download and use HitmanPro on your personal computer. Once started, click “Next” button for checking your PC for the hijacker infection which cause a redirect to Search.searchtheweb.today webpage. While the HitmanPro utility is scanning, you can see how many objects it has identified as being infected by malicious software..
After the scan is finished, the results are displayed in the scan report.
You may get rid of threats (move to Quarantine) by simply click Next button.
It will show a prompt, press the “Activate free license” button to start the free 30 days trial to get rid of all malicious software found.
Get rid of Search.searchtheweb.today startpage with Malwarebytes
We suggest using the Malwarebytes Free that are completely clean your system of the browser hijacker. The free tool is an advanced malicious software removal program created by (c) Malwarebytes lab. This program uses the world’s most popular anti-malware technology. It’s able to help you remove hijackers, potentially unwanted apps, malicious software, ad supported software, toolbars, ransomware and other security threats from your PC system for free.
Visit the following page to download MalwareBytes. Save it to your Desktop.
Category: Security tools
Update: March 20, 2018
When downloading is done, run it and follow the prompts. Once installed, the MalwareBytes Anti-Malware will try to update itself and when this procedure is complete, click the “Scan Now” button to start scanning your PC system for the browser hijacker that causes web-browsers to open annoying Search.searchtheweb.today web site. A system scan may take anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes, depending on your PC. While the MalwareBytes Free is checking, you can see count of objects it has identified either as being malware. In order to delete all threats, simply click “Quarantine Selected” button.
The MalwareBytes is a free application that you can use to get rid of all detected folders, files, services, registry entries and so on. To learn more about this malware removal tool, we suggest you to read and follow the few simple steps or the video guide below.
How to stop Search.searchtheweb.today
One of the worst things is the fact that you cannot block all those intrusive web-pages like Search.searchtheweb.today using only built-in Microsoft Windows capabilities. However, there is a program out that you can use to block intrusive browser redirects, ads and pop-ups in any modern web-browsers including Microsoft Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Edge. It is named Adguard and it works very well.
- Click the following link to download AdGuard. Save it to your Desktop.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: July 17, 2017
- After the download is finished, launch the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” program window. Follow the prompts.
- After the install is finished, click “Skip” to close the installation program and use the default settings, or press “Get Started” to see an quick tutorial that will help you get to know AdGuard better.
- In most cases, the default settings are enough and you don’t need to change anything. Each time, when you run your computer, AdGuard will start automatically and stop pop-up advertisements, sites like Search.searchtheweb.today, as well as other harmful or misleading websites. For an overview of all the features of the program, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the icon named AdGuard, that is located on your desktop.
Tips to prevent Search.searchtheweb.today and other unwanted software
Many of the free programs out there install undesired web browser toolbars, ad-supported software and potentially unwanted software like the browser hijacker that causes browsers to display annoying Search.searchtheweb.today web site along with them without your knowledge. One has to be attentive while installing freeware in order to avoid accidentally installing third-party applications. It is important that you pay attention to the EULA (End User License Agreements) and select the Custom, Manual or Advanced install mode as it will typically disclose what optional apps will also be installed.
Once you’ve done the guide outlined above, your machine should be clean from this browser hijacker and other malware. The Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Edge and Internet Explorer will no longer display intrusive Search.searchtheweb.today website on startup. Unfortunately, if the steps does not help you, then you have caught a new browser hijacker, and then the best way – ask for help.
Please start a new thread by using the “New Topic” button in the Spyware Removal forum. When posting your HJT log, try to give us some details about your problems, so we can try to help you more accurately. Wait for one of our trained “Security Team” or Site Administrator to provide you with knowledgeable assistance tailored to your problem with the unwanted Search.searchtheweb.today .