Security specialists have confirmed that the Convert-myfiles.link is a browser hijacker. When downloaded and launched onto a computer, this browser hijacker quickly changes the Chrome, Microsoft Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox and Edge web-browser’s settings like new tab page, default search provider and homepage to its own web page. For this reason, every time you run the affected web-browser, it being rerouted to the Convert-myfiles.link page. Even though you have deleted its address from your browser’s settings, after restart your internet browser, the annoying web-page still appears.
In addition, the Convert-myfiles.link hijacker can also change the search engine selected in the web-browser. When you try to search on the affected internet browser, you will be presented with search results, consisting of advertisements and Google (or Yahoo, or Bing) search results for your query. Among these search results can occur links that lead to undesired and ad web sites.
It’s not a good idea to have an unwanted program such as Convert-myfiles.link browser hijacker on your personal computer. The reason for this is simple, it doing things you do not know about. The browser hijacker infection can be used to collect lots of user information about you which can be later transferred third party companies. You don’t know if your home address, account names and passwords are safe. And of course you completely don’t know what will happen when you click on any ads on the Convert-myfiles.link page.
We strongly suggest that you perform the step-by-step instructions below which will assist you to remove Convert-myfiles.link using the standard features of Windows and some proven freeware.
How to remove Convert-myfiles.link from Google Chrome, Firefox, IE, Edge
Fortunately, we’ve an effective way that will assist you manually or/and automatically remove Convert-myfiles.link from your PC and bring your internet browser settings, including new tab page, search provider and home page, back to normal. Below you’ll find a removal instructions with all the steps you may need to successfully remove this hijacker and its traces. Some of the steps will require you to restart your system or exit this website. So, read this instructions carefully, then bookmark or print it for later reference.
To remove Convert-myfiles.link, perform the steps below:
- How to get rid of Convert-myfiles.link homepage without any software
- Scan your computer and remove Convert-myfiles.link with free utilities
- How to stop Convert-myfiles.link
- How was Convert-myfiles.link hijacker infection installed on system
- Finish words
How to get rid of Convert-myfiles.link homepage without any software
The following instructions is a step-by-step guide, which will help you manually delete Convert-myfiles.link start page from the Microsoft Edge, Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer.
Delete dubious applications using MS Windows Control Panel
Some programs are free only because their installer contains a hijacker like the Convert-myfiles.link. This unwanted apps generates profit for the creators when it is installed. Many browser hijackers can be uninstalled by simply uninstalling them from the ‘Uninstall a Program’ that is located in Windows control panel.
Windows 10, 8.1, 8
Click the Microsoft Windows logo, and then click Search . Type ‘Control panel’and press Enter as displayed on the screen below.
Once the ‘Control Panel’ opens, click the ‘Uninstall a program’ link under Programs category as shown below.
Windows 7, Vista, XP
Open Start menu and choose the ‘Control Panel’ at right as on the image below.
Then go to ‘Add/Remove Programs’ or ‘Uninstall a program’ (Microsoft Windows 7 or Vista) like below.
Carefully browse through the list of installed applications and get rid of all dubious and unknown programs. We suggest to click ‘Installed programs’ and even sorts all installed applications by date. After you’ve found anything dubious that may be the browser hijacker that responsible for browser redirect to the undesired Convert-myfiles.link website or other PUP (potentially unwanted program), then select this program and press ‘Uninstall’ in the upper part of the window. If the suspicious application blocked from removal, then run Revo Uninstaller Freeware to completely get rid of it from your system.
Remove Convert-myfiles.link from Google Chrome
Like other modern web-browsers, the Google Chrome has the ability to reset the settings to their default values and thereby recover the web-browser home page, search provider and newtab that have been modified by the Convert-myfiles.link hijacker.
- First run the Google Chrome and press Menu button (small button in the form of three dots).
- It will display the Chrome main menu. Choose More Tools, then click Extensions.
- You’ll see the list of installed addons. If the list has the extension labeled with “Installed by enterprise policy” or “Installed by your administrator”, then complete the following guidance: Remove Chrome extensions installed by enterprise policy.
- Now open the Chrome menu once again, click the “Settings” menu.
- You will see the Chrome’s settings page. Scroll down and press “Advanced” link.
- Scroll down again and click the “Reset” button.
- The Chrome will open the reset profile settings page as on the image above.
- Next click the “Reset” button.
- Once this process is complete, your web-browser’s default search engine, newtab and start page will be restored to their original defaults.
- To learn more, read the post How to reset Google Chrome settings to default.
Delete Convert-myfiles.link home page from Microsoft Internet Explorer
In order to restore all browser default search provider, new tab page and startpage you need to reset the Internet Explorer to the state, that was when the Windows was installed on your computer.
First, open the Microsoft Internet Explorer. Next, click the button in the form of gear (). It will display the Tools drop-down menu, press the “Internet Options” as on the image below.
In the “Internet Options” window click on the Advanced tab, then click the Reset button. The Internet Explorer will display the “Reset Internet Explorer settings” window as displayed below. Select the “Delete personal settings” check box, then click “Reset” button.
You will now need to restart your machine for the changes to take effect.
Get rid of Convert-myfiles.link redirect from Firefox
If Mozilla Firefox startpage or search engine are hijacked by the Convert-myfiles.link, your web browser displays unwanted pop up ads, then ‘Reset Mozilla Firefox’ could solve these problems. It’ll keep your personal information like browsing history, bookmarks, passwords and web form auto-fill data.
First, launch the Firefox and press button. It will open the drop-down menu on the right-part of the browser. Further, press the Help button () as shown on the screen below.
In the Help menu, select the “Troubleshooting Information” option. Another way to open the “Troubleshooting Information” screen – type “about:support” in the web browser adress bar and press Enter. It will show the “Troubleshooting Information” page as displayed on the image below. In the upper-right corner of this screen, click the “Refresh Firefox” button.
It will open the confirmation dialog box. Further, click the “Refresh Firefox” button. The Mozilla Firefox will start a procedure to fix your problems that caused by the hijacker responsible for redirecting user searches to Convert-myfiles.link. Once, it’s finished, click the “Finish” button.
Scan your computer and remove Convert-myfiles.link with free utilities
Anti Malware applications differ from each other by many features such as performance, scheduled scans, automatic updates, virus signature database, technical support, compatibility with other antivirus software and so on. We suggest you run the following free apps: Zemana, MalwareBytes Free and Hitman Pro. Each of these applications has all of needed features, but most importantly, they can identify the hijacker and delete Convert-myfiles.link from the Google Chrome, Edge, IE and Firefox.
Use Zemana Free to remove Convert-myfiles.link search
You can remove Convert-myfiles.link search automatically with a help of Zemana Free. We recommend this malicious software removal utility because it may easily remove browser hijacker infections, PUPs, adware and toolbars with all their components such as folders, files and registry entries.
- Zemana Free can be downloaded from the following link. Save it to your Desktop.
Author: Zemana Ltd
Category: Security tools
Update: March 3, 2018
- At the download page, click on the Download button. Your browser will display the “Save as” dialog box. Please save it onto your Windows desktop.
- Once the download is finished, please close all applications and open windows on your PC system. Next, run a file named Zemana.AntiMalware.Setup.
- This will run the “Setup wizard” of Zemana Free onto your personal computer. Follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
- When the Setup wizard has finished installing, the Zemana Anti Malware (ZAM) will run and open the main window.
- Further, click the “Scan” button to perform a system scan for the browser hijacker that responsible for internet browser reroute to the intrusive Convert-myfiles.link web-site. During the scan Zemana AntiMalware (ZAM) will scan for threats exist on your machine.
- Once the checking is complete, you will be displayed the list of all found threats on your computer.
- When you are ready, click the “Next” button. The tool will begin to get rid of browser hijacker which cause Convert-myfiles.link web site to appear. Once the process is finished, you may be prompted to restart the PC system.
- Close the Zemana Anti-Malware (ZAM) and continue with the next step.
Run Hitman Pro to delete Convert-myfiles.link from the computer
All-in-all, HitmanPro is a fantastic utility to clean your computer from any unwanted software like hijacker infection that cause Convert-myfiles.link web-site to appear. The Hitman Pro is portable program that meaning, you don’t need to install it to run it. HitmanPro is compatible with all versions of Windows operating system from MS Windows XP to Windows 10. Both 64-bit and 32-bit systems are supported.
- Visit the page linked below to download Hitman Pro. Save it on your Desktop.
Category: Security tools
Update: December 8, 2017
- When downloading is finished, start the HitmanPro, double-click the HitmanPro.exe file.
- If the “User Account Control” prompts, click Yes to continue.
- In the Hitman Pro window, press the “Next” to find out Convert-myfiles.link browser hijacker and other browser’s harmful addons. This procedure can take quite a while, so please be patient. While the HitmanPro program is checking, you may see how many objects it has identified as threat.
- Once HitmanPro has finished scanning your PC system, Hitman Pro will prepare a list of undesired and ad-supported software. Review the scan results and then click “Next”. Now, press the “Activate free license” button to start the free 30 days trial to get rid of all malware found.
Use Malwarebytes to remove browser hijacker infection
Remove Convert-myfiles.link hijacker manually is difficult and often the hijacker infection is not completely removed. Therefore, we recommend you to use the Malwarebytes Free that are completely clean your machine. Moreover, the free application will help you to remove malware, PUPs, toolbars and ad supported software that your PC can be infected too.
Installing the MalwareBytes AntiMalware is simple. First you will need to download MalwareBytes from the following link. Save it directly to your Windows Desktop.
Category: Security tools
Update: March 20, 2018
After the downloading process is finished, close all windows on your computer. Further, start the file named mb3-setup. If the “User Account Control” dialog box pops up as displayed on the image below, press the “Yes” button.
It will show the “Setup wizard” that will assist you install MalwareBytes Anti Malware (MBAM) on the personal computer. Follow the prompts and don’t make any changes to default settings.
Once setup is finished successfully, click Finish button. Then MalwareBytes will automatically run and you can see its main window as displayed on the screen below.
Next, press the “Scan Now” button to start scanning your PC system for the hijacker that modifies internet browser settings to replace your search provider by default, start page and new tab with Convert-myfiles.link site. This process can take quite a while, so please be patient. While the MalwareBytes is checking, you can see count of objects it has identified either as being malicious software.
Once MalwareBytes AntiMalware (MBAM) completes the scan, MalwareBytes Free will display you the results. Review the report and then click “Quarantine Selected” button.
The MalwareBytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) will begin to get rid of browser hijacker responsible for redirecting your web-browser to Convert-myfiles.link web-page. When disinfection is finished, you may be prompted to restart your computer. We advise you look at the following video, which completely explains the procedure of using the MalwareBytes Anti Malware to remove browser hijackers, ad supported software and other malicious software.
How to stop Convert-myfiles.link
It’s important to run ad-blocker software like AdGuard to protect your computer from malicious sites. Most security experts says that it’s okay to block advertisements. You should do so just to stay safe! And, of course, the AdGuard may to stop Convert-myfiles.link and other intrusive web sites.
- Visit the page linked below to download AdGuard. Save it on your Windows desktop or in any other place.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: July 17, 2017
- After downloading it, start the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” program window. Follow the prompts.
- After the install is complete, press “Skip” to close the installation program and use the default settings, or click “Get Started” to see an quick tutorial that will help you get to know AdGuard better.
- In most cases, the default settings are enough and you do not need to change anything. Each time, when you run your machine, AdGuard will start automatically and stop pop up ads, web pages like Convert-myfiles.link, as well as other malicious or misleading web-pages. For an overview of all the features of the program, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the icon called AdGuard, that is located on your desktop.
How was Convert-myfiles.link hijacker infection installed on system
Many hijackers such as Convert-myfiles.link are included in the freeware installer. In many cases, a user have a chance to disable all included “offers”, but some installers are developed to confuse the average users, in order to trick them into installing an ‘ad supported’ software or PUPs. Anyway, easier to prevent the browser hijacker rather than clean up your personal computer after one. So, keep the internet browser updated (turn on automatic updates), run a good antivirus apps, double check a free software before you run it (do a google search, scan a downloaded file with VirusTotal), avoid harmful and unknown web-sites.
After completing the few simple steps shown above, your PC system should be clean from this hijacker and other malicious software. The IE, MS Edge, Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox will no longer display intrusive Convert-myfiles.link page on startup. Unfortunately, if the few simple steps does not help you, then you have caught a new hijacker infection, and then the best way – ask for help.
Please start a new thread by using the “New Topic” button in the Spyware Removal forum. When posting your HJT log, try to give us some details about your problems, so we can try to help you more accurately. Wait for one of our trained “Security Team” or Site Administrator to provide you with knowledgeable assistance tailored to your problem with the unwanted Convert-myfiles.link redirect.