The Split Tabs is a malicious browser add-on (extension) from the ‘ad-supported’ (also known as adware) category. The adware is a form of undesired software that can open a large amount of pop up advertisements without a user’s permission. Moreover, it can mine digital money (bitcoins, monero) and reroute the web-browser on malicious and misleading sites. Complete the step-by-step instructions below and clean your PC from virus without a wait. It will allow you to remove the Split Tabs add-on from the Mozilla Firefox and other web-browsers.
While your browser is affected by the Split Tabs add-on, the Firefox may be redirected to various unwanted page. Of course, the virus may not cause damages to your files or Windows system, but it may show a huge number of undesired ads. These advertisements will be injected within the content of webpages that are you opening in your web-browser and can be varied: pop-up ads, in-text ads, different sized banners, offers to install an questionable software. The advertisements will appear on all web-sites, including websites where previously you have never seen any advertising links.
Thus, the malicious plugin is quite dangerous. So, we suggest you remove it from your PC system sooner. Follow the tutorial presented below to delete Split Tabs virus from the Mozilla Firefox and other web-browsers.
Remove Split Tabs Firefox add-on (virus removal tutorial)
In the steps below we will have a look at the virus and how to delete Split Tabs from the Mozilla Firefox and other internet browsers for Microsoft Windows OS, natively or by using a few free removal utilities. Read it once, after doing so, please print this page as you may need to exit your browser or reboot your PC.
To remove Split Tabs, complete the following steps:
- Remove Split Tabs virus without any utilities
- Delete Split Tabs virus with freeware
- How to stay safe online
- To sum up
Remove Split Tabs virus without any utilities
The following instructions is a step-by-step guide, which will help you manually delete Split Tabs addon from the Mozilla Firefox and other internet browsers.
Remove suspicious software by using MS Windows Control Panel
It’s of primary importance to first identify and remove all PUPs, add-on applications and hijackers through ‘Add/Remove Programs’ (Windows XP) or ‘Uninstall a program’ (Windows 10, 8, 7) section of your Windows Control Panel.
Windows 8, 8.1, 10
After the ‘Control Panel’ opens, press the ‘Uninstall a program’ link under Programs category as displayed below.
You will see the ‘Uninstall a program’ panel as on the image below.
Very carefully look around the entire list of programs installed on your computer. If you’ve many software installed, you can help simplify the search of malicious software by sort the list by date of installation. Once you’ve found a suspicious, unwanted or unused program, right click to it, after that click ‘Uninstall’.
Windows XP, Vista, 7
When the Windows ‘Control Panel’ opens, you need to click ‘Uninstall a program’ under ‘Programs’ as displayed on the screen below.
You will see a list of apps installed on your machine. We recommend to sort the list by date of installation to quickly find the programs that were installed last. If you’re in doubt, you can always check the program by doing a search for her name in Google, Yahoo or Bing. When the program which you need to remove is found, simply press on its name, and then click ‘Uninstall’ as displayed on the image below.
Remove Split Tabs from Firefox
If your Firefox browser is infected with Split Tabs malicious add-on or rerouted to unwanted ads or an unknown search engine displays results for your search, then it may be time to perform the internet browser reset.
First, start the Mozilla Firefox. Next, click the button in the form of three horizontal stripes (). It will open the drop-down menu. Next, click the Help button ().
In the Help menu click the “Troubleshooting Information”. In the upper-right corner of the “Troubleshooting Information” page click on “Refresh Firefox” button as on the image below.
Confirm your action, click the “Refresh Firefox”.
Delete Split Tabs virus with freeware
If your computer is still infected with Split Tabs virus that causes internet browsers to open annoying advertisements, then the best method of detection and removal is to use an anti malware scan on the computer. Download free malicious software removal tools below and start a full system scan. It will help you remove all components of the harmful extension from hardisk and Windows registry.
Delete Split Tabs virus with Zemana Anti-malware
Zemana Anti-malware highly recommended, because it can find security threats such adware and viruss that most ‘classic’ antivirus programs fail to pick up on. Moreover, if you have any Split Tabs virus removal problems which cannot be fixed by this tool automatically, then Zemana Anti-malware provides 24X7 online assistance from the highly experienced support staff.
- Zemana Free can be downloaded from the following link. Save it to your Desktop so that you can access the file easily.
Author: Zemana Ltd
Category: Security tools
Update: March 3, 2018
- At the download page, click on the Download button. Your web-browser will open the “Save as” dialog box. Please save it onto your Windows desktop.
- Once the download is finished, please close all software and open windows on your computer. Next, start a file named Zemana.AntiMalware.Setup.
- This will launch the “Setup wizard” of Zemana Free onto your computer. Follow the prompts and don’t make any changes to default settings.
- When the Setup wizard has finished installing, the Zemana Anti-Malware will launch and show the main window.
- Further, click the “Scan” button to perform a system scan with this utility for the Split Tabs extension which causes annoying pop-up advertisements. Depending on your PC, the scan can take anywhere from a few minutes to close to an hour. When a malicious software, adware or potentially unwanted programs are detected, the number of the security threats will change accordingly. Wait until the the scanning is complete.
- After the scan get completed, Zemana Anti Malware (ZAM) will show a list of found threats.
- When you are ready, click the “Next” button. The tool will remove Split Tabs extension and add threats to the Quarantine. When that process is finished, you may be prompted to restart the system.
- Close the Zemana Anti Malware and continue with the next step.
Use Hitman Pro to remove Split Tabs
HitmanPro is a completely free (30 day trial) utility. You do not need expensive ways to remove Split Tabs virus which cause annoying ads to appear and other malicious programs. HitmanPro will delete all the unwanted software such as adware and browser hijacker infections at zero cost.
- Installing the Hitman Pro is simple. First you will need to download HitmanPro from the following link.
Category: Security tools
Update: December 8, 2017
- After the downloading process is complete, double click the HitmanPro icon. Once this utility is started, click “Next” button for scanning your PC for the Split Tabs virus which cause intrusive pop-up advertisements to appear. This task may take quite a while, so please be patient. When a threat is found, the count of the security threats will change accordingly.
- When that process is done, Hitman Pro will display a scan report. Make sure all items have ‘checkmark’ and click “Next” button. Now click the “Activate free license” button to start the free 30 days trial to delete all malicious software found.
Automatically remove Split Tabs malicious add-on with Malwarebytes
You can remove Split Tabs virus automatically with a help of Malwarebytes Free. We recommend this free malicious software removal utility because it can easily remove hijacker infections, ad-supported software, potentially unwanted applications and toolbars with all their components such as files, folders and registry entries.
Download MalwareBytes Anti-Malware from the following link.
Category: Security tools
Update: March 20, 2018
When the download is complete, run it and follow the prompts. Once installed, the MalwareBytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) will try to update itself and when this process is complete, click the “Scan Now” button to begin checking your PC system for the Split Tabs harmful extension that causes annoying advertisements. This task may take quite a while, so please be patient. While the MalwareBytes Free program is checking, you may see how many objects it has identified as threat. Once you have selected what you want to remove from your PC system click “Quarantine Selected” button.
The MalwareBytes Anti Malware is a free program that you can use to remove all detected folders, files, services, registry entries and so on. To learn more about this malicious software removal tool, we suggest you to read and follow the few simple steps or the video guide below.
How to stay safe online
Use an ad blocker tool like AdGuard will protect you from malicious ads and content. Moreover, you may find that the AdGuard have an option to protect your privacy and block phishing and spam web sites. Additionally, ad blocking software will help you to avoid unwanted pop-up ads and unverified links that also a good way to stay safe online.
Installing the AdGuard is simple. First you will need to download AdGuard by clicking on the link below.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: July 17, 2017
After downloading it, start the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” screen as shown in the figure below.
Follow the prompts. After the installation is done, you will see a window as shown on the image below.
You can press “Skip” to close the installation program and use the default settings, or click “Get Started” button to see an quick tutorial which will assist you get to know AdGuard better.
In most cases, the default settings are enough and you do not need to change anything. Each time, when you launch your system, AdGuard will run automatically and stop ads, as well as other harmful or misleading sites. For an overview of all the features of the application, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the AdGuard icon, that is located on your desktop.
To sum up
Now your PC should be clean of the Split Tabs extension that redirects your web browser to intrusive ad web-pages. We suggest that you keep Zemana Anti-Malware (ZAM) (to periodically scan your PC system for new harmful plugins and other malware) and AdGuard (to help you block annoying pop-ups and malicious web sites). Moreover, to prevent any virus, please stay clear of unknown and third party software, make sure that your antivirus program, turn on the option to find PUPs.
If you need more help with Split Tabs virus related issues, go to our Spyware/Malware removal forum.