If you find that your settings of browsers have been changed to Untrack Search without your permission then it could mean that hijackware (also known as browser hijacker) was installed on your PC system. Once started, it takes control of your computer including Internet Explorer, Edge, Chrome and Firefox and can impose changes to its settings like new tab, startpage and default search provider, without your knowledge.
The hijacker infection can also set up the Untrack Search web-site as the Edge, Microsoft Internet Explorer, FF and Google Chrome default search provider that cause search redirections via the site. In this way, creators of the browser hijacker infection have an opportunity to show various ads together with the search results for your query. These intrusive advertisements will be summarized in the redirected web page. This can bring a large amount of money for authors of the browser hijacker infection.
While the Untrack Search browser hijacker is active, you won’t be able to restore the Chrome, Edge, Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox’ settings like search provider, homepage and new tab. If you try to set your home page to be Google, Bing or Yahoo, those settings will be automatically altered to Untrack Search with the next PC system reboot. But this does not mean that you should just ignore it or get along with this fact. Because this is not the best option, due to the Untrack Search you can have problems with the Google Chrome, Microsoft Internet Explorer, FF and Microsoft Edge, intrusive ads and even privacy info theft.
The Untrack Search hijacker can change some settings of installed web browsers, but often that the unwanted software can also infect all types of web browsers by changing their desktop shortcuts. Thus forcing the user to see Untrack Search undesired web page every time run the browser.
To find out how to delete Untrack Search redirect, we recommend to read the instructions added to this article below. The guide was created by experienced security experts who discovered a method to get rid of the annoying Untrack Search browser hijacker out of the PC.
Remove Untrack Search redirect
When a hijacker such as the Untrack Search gets installed on your machine without your knowledge, it’s not easy to remove. Most often, there is no Uninstall application which simply delete the hijacker responsible for Untrack Search redirect from your computer. So, we recommend using several well-proven free specialized utilities like Zemana, MalwareBytes Anti Malware or Hitman Pro. But the best method to remove Untrack Search redirect will be to perform several manual steps, after that additionally use antimalware utilities.
To remove Untrack Search, execute the steps below:
- Manual Untrack Search removal
- Scan your machine and remove Untrack Search with free utilities
- Use AdBlocker to block Untrack Search and stay safe online
- Where the Untrack Search hijacker infection comes from
- To sum up
Manual Untrack Search removal
Read this section to know how to manually get rid of the Untrack Search hijacker. Even if the tutorial does not work for you, there are several free malicious software removers below which can easily handle such browser hijackers.
Deleting the Untrack Search, check the list of installed software first
First, go to Windows Control Panel and delete dubious software, all programs you do not remember installing. It is important to pay the most attention to programs you installed just before Untrack Search hijacker appeared on your web-browser. If you do not know what a program does, look for the answer on the Net.
Windows 10, 8.1, 8
Click the Microsoft Windows logo, and then click Search . Type ‘Control panel’and press Enter like below.
After the ‘Control Panel’ opens, click the ‘Uninstall a program’ link under Programs category as displayed in the following example.
Windows 7, Vista, XP
Open Start menu and select the ‘Control Panel’ at right as displayed in the figure below.
Then go to ‘Add/Remove Programs’ or ‘Uninstall a program’ (Microsoft Windows 7 or Vista) as on the image below.
Carefully browse through the list of installed applications and remove all questionable and unknown programs. We advise to press ‘Installed programs’ and even sorts all installed software by date. After you have found anything dubious that may be the browser hijacker infection that redirects your internet browser to unwanted Untrack Search page or other PUP (potentially unwanted program), then select this program and click ‘Uninstall’ in the upper part of the window. If the suspicious application blocked from removal, then run Revo Uninstaller Freeware to fully get rid of it from your PC system.
Remove Untrack Search startpage from Firefox
First, launch the FF and click button. It will open the drop-down menu on the right-part of the browser. Further, click the Help button () as on the image below.
In the Help menu, select the “Troubleshooting Information” option. Another way to open the “Troubleshooting Information” screen – type “about:support” in the browser adress bar and press Enter. It will open the “Troubleshooting Information” page as displayed on the image below. In the upper-right corner of this screen, press the “Refresh Firefox” button.
It will open the confirmation dialog box. Further, click the “Refresh Firefox” button. The Firefox will begin a procedure to fix your problems that caused by the hijacker that causes web browsers to display annoying Untrack Search web-site. After, it’s done, press the “Finish” button.
Remove Untrack Search from Internet Explorer
By resetting Microsoft Internet Explorer web-browser you revert back your web browser settings to its default state. This is basic when troubleshooting problems that might have been caused by browser hijacker infection like Untrack Search.
First, launch the Internet Explorer. Next, press the button in the form of gear (). It will show the Tools drop-down menu, click the “Internet Options” as displayed below.
In the “Internet Options” window click on the Advanced tab, then click the Reset button. The Internet Explorer will show the “Reset Internet Explorer settings” window like below. Select the “Delete personal settings” check box, then click “Reset” button.
You will now need to reboot your computer for the changes to take effect.
Get rid of Untrack Search from Chrome
Reset Chrome settings is a easy way to remove the browser hijacker, malicious and adware extensions, as well as to recover the web browser’s newtab page, search engine and homepage that have been changed by browser hijacker.
- First, start the Chrome and press the Menu icon (icon in the form of three dots).
- It will display the Google Chrome main menu. Choose More Tools, then click Extensions.
- You’ll see the list of installed addons. If the list has the add-on labeled with “Installed by enterprise policy” or “Installed by your administrator”, then complete the following steps: Remove Chrome extensions installed by enterprise policy.
- Now open the Google Chrome menu once again, press the “Settings” menu.
- Next, press “Advanced” link, that located at the bottom of the Settings page.
- On the bottom of the “Advanced settings” page, press the “Reset settings to their original defaults” button.
- The Chrome will show the reset settings dialog box as shown on the image above.
- Confirm the web-browser’s reset by clicking on the “Reset” button.
- To learn more, read the blog post How to reset Google Chrome settings to default.
Clean up the browsers shortcuts which have been hijacked by Untrack Search
After installed, the hijacker that cause a redirect to Untrack Search web site, may add an argument such as “http://site.address” into the Target property of the desktop shortcut for the IE, Firefox, Chrome and Edge. Due to this, every time you open the web browser, it will show an undesired web site.
Right click to a desktop shortcut for your hijacked web browser. Choose the “Properties” option. It will show the Properties window. Select the “Shortcut” tab here, after that, look at the “Target” field. The hijacker infection responsible for Untrack Search redirect can modify it. If you are seeing something like “…exe http://site.address” then you need to remove “http…” and leave only, depending on the internet browser you are using:
- Google Chrome: chrome.exe
- Opera: opera.exe
- Firefox: firefox.exe
- Internet Explorer: iexplore.exe
Look at the example as on the image below.
Once is finished, press the “OK” button to save the changes. Please repeat this step for web-browser shortcut files which redirects to an unwanted web-pages. When you have completed, go to next step.
Scan your machine and remove Untrack Search with free utilities
Manual removal guide does not always help to completely remove the hijacker, as it is not easy to identify and remove components of hijacker and all malicious files from hard disk. Therefore, it’s recommended that you run malicious software removal tool to completely delete Untrack Search off your system. Several free malware removal utilities are currently available that can be used against the browser hijacker. The optimum way would be to use Zemana Anti Malware (ZAM), MalwareBytes Anti Malware (MBAM) and HitmanPro.
How to automatically remove Untrack Search with Zemana
Zemana is a free program for Windows operating system to search for and remove PUPs, adware, malicious internet browser extensions, browser toolbars, and other undesired software such as hijacker infection that made to redirect your web-browser to the Untrack Search web site, installed on your PC.
- Installing the Zemana is simple. First you will need to download Zemana Free by clicking on the link below.
Author: Zemana Ltd
Category: Security tools
Update: March 3, 2018
- At the download page, click on the Download button. Your browser will display the “Save as” prompt. Please save it onto your Windows desktop.
- When downloading is done, please close all applications and open windows on your computer. Next, start a file called Zemana.AntiMalware.Setup.
- This will launch the “Setup wizard” of Zemana Free onto your PC. Follow the prompts and don’t make any changes to default settings.
- When the Setup wizard has finished installing, the Zemana Anti-Malware will start and display the main window.
- Further, press the “Scan” button . Zemana tool will begin scanning the whole system to find out browser hijacker that cause Untrack Search site to appear. Depending on your personal computer, the scan may take anywhere from a few minutes to close to an hour. While the Zemana Free program is scanning, you can see number of objects it has identified as threat.
- Once finished, Zemana Anti Malware (ZAM) will prepare a list of unwanted and ‘ad supported’ software.
- Review the scan results and then click the “Next” button. The utility will remove browser hijacker infection responsible for redirects to Untrack Search. Once finished, you may be prompted to reboot the personal computer.
- Close the Zemana Anti-Malware (ZAM) and continue with the next step.
Get rid of Untrack Search hijacker and malicious extensions with HitmanPro
HitmanPro will help delete browser hijacker responsible for changing your internet browser settings to Untrack Search that slow down your PC. The browser hijackers, ad supported software and other potentially unwanted software slow your internet browser down and try to mislead you into clicking on dubious ads and links. Hitman Pro removes the browser hijacker and lets you enjoy your machine without Untrack Search redirect.
- Please go to the following link to download the latest version of HitmanPro for MS Windows. Save it to your Desktop.
Category: Security tools
Update: December 8, 2017
- When the downloading process is done, start the Hitman Pro, double-click the HitmanPro.exe file.
- If the “User Account Control” prompts, click Yes to continue.
- In the Hitman Pro window, click the “Next” for scanning your computer for the browser hijacker infection that created to reroute your internet browser to the Untrack Search web site. When a threat is detected, the number of the security threats will change accordingly.
- After HitmanPro has finished scanning your system, HitmanPro will open a scan report. Review the results once the utility has complete the system scan. If you think an entry should not be quarantined, then uncheck it. Otherwise, simply click “Next”. Now, click the “Activate free license” button to start the free 30 days trial to remove all malware found.
Run Malwarebytes to remove hijacker
We advise using the Malwarebytes Free which are completely clean your computer of the browser hijacker. The free tool is an advanced malicious software removal program made by (c) Malwarebytes lab. This application uses the world’s most popular antimalware technology. It’s able to help you get rid of browser hijacker infections, PUPs, malicious software, adware, toolbars, ransomware and other security threats from your computer for free.
Visit the following page to download the latest version of MalwareBytes Anti-Malware for Microsoft Windows. Save it on your Desktop.
Category: Security tools
Update: March 20, 2018
Once the download is finished, close all software and windows on your PC. Double-click the setup file named mb3-setup. If the “User Account Control” dialog box pops up as shown in the following example, click the “Yes” button.
It will open the “Setup wizard” which will help you setup MalwareBytes Anti Malware on your PC. Follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
Once installation is done successfully, click Finish button. MalwareBytes Free will automatically start and you can see its main screen as displayed in the figure below.
Now click the “Scan Now” button . MalwareBytes Free application will scan through the whole PC for the browser hijacker infection responsible for Untrack Search redirect. While the MalwareBytes AntiMalware (MBAM) application is scanning, you may see how many objects it has identified as threat.
After finished, a list of all threats found is created. You may remove threats (move to Quarantine) by simply press “Quarantine Selected” button. The MalwareBytes Free will get rid of hijacker responsible for Untrack Search redirect and move items to the program’s quarantine. After the cleaning procedure is done, you may be prompted to reboot the machine.
We advise you look at the following video, which completely explains the process of using the MalwareBytes Free to get rid of adware, hijacker and other malicious software.
Use AdBlocker to block Untrack Search and stay safe online
By installing an ad blocking program like AdGuard, you’re able to block Untrack Search, autoplaying video ads and get rid of tons of distracting and unwanted ads on web-sites.
Download AdGuard by clicking on the link below.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: November 7, 2017
When the downloading process is done, double-click the downloaded file to start it. The “Setup Wizard” window will show up on the computer screen like below.
Follow the prompts. AdGuard will then be installed and an icon will be placed on your desktop. A window will show up asking you to confirm that you want to see a quick guide as shown on the screen below.
Click “Skip” button to close the window and use the default settings, or click “Get Started” to see an quick guide that will allow you get to know AdGuard better.
Each time, when you launch your system, AdGuard will start automatically and stop pop-up advertisements, Untrack Search redirect, as well as other malicious or misleading web sites. For an overview of all the features of the program, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the AdGuard icon, which is located on your desktop.
Where the Untrack Search hijacker infection comes from
To sum up
Once you have finished the step by step guide above, your system should be clean from hijacker which designed to reroute your web-browser to the Untrack Search web-page and other malicious software. The Google Chrome, Firefox, Edge and Internet Explorer will no longer show intrusive Untrack Search web-page on startup. Unfortunately, if the step by step guide does not help you, then you have caught a new browser hijacker, and then the best way – ask for help in our Spyware/Malware removal forum.