The MoneyBot is an adware (also known as ‘ad-supported’ software). The ad-supported software is a type of software that alters your computer’s web browser settings so that you will be automatically rerouted to various intrusive advertisements. Use the tutorial below as soon as possible. It’ll clean your personal computer from the MoneyBot adware and thus delete annoying advertisements. Moreover, the guide will help you to protect your personal computer from more harmful viruses and trojans.
While your computer is infected with the MoneyBot adware, the Edge, Google Chrome, Firefox and IE may be rerouted to undesired pages. Of course, the ad-supported software may not cause damages to your files or Windows system, but it may display a ton of intrusive advertisements. These advertisements will be injected within the content of web sites that are you opening in your web-browser and can be varied: pop-up ads, in-text ads, different sized banners, offers to install an questionable software. The advertisements will appear on all pages, including web-sites where previously you have never seen any advertising links.
The MoneyBot adware usually hijacks only the Internet Explorer, Firefox, MS Edge and Chrome by changing the browser’s settings or installing a malicious addons. Moreover, possible situations, when any other browsers will be affected too. The ad-supported software will perform a scan of the computer for browser shortcut files and modify them without your permission. When it infects the browser shortcuts, it will add the argument such as ‘http://site.address’ into Target property. So, each time you run the web browser, you’ll see an undesired MoneyBot ads.
We recommend you to get rid of the MoneyBot adware and clean your PC from any unwanted advertisements ASAP, until the presence of the adware has not led to even worse consequences. You need to follow the instructions below that will help you to completely delete the redirect to MoneyBot ads, using only the built-in Windows features and several free malicious software removal utilities of well-known antivirus software companies.
Remove MoneyBot adware
We can assist you remove MoneyBot ads from your web-browsers, without the need to take your computer to a professional. Simply follow the removal steps below if you currently have the undesired adware on your personal computer and want to remove it. If you’ve any difficulty while trying to remove the MoneyBot ‘ad supported’ software that causes web browsers to display undesired pop ups, feel free to ask for our help in the comment section below. Read it once, after doing so, please print this page as you may need to exit your internet browser or reboot your computer.
To remove MoneyBot, execute the following steps:
- How to manually get rid of MoneyBot
- Remove MoneyBot related applications through the Control Panel of your PC system
- Remove MoneyBot adware from Chrome
- Remove MoneyBot from Firefox by resetting web-browser settings
- Get rid of MoneyBot from Internet Explorer
- Clean up the browsers shortcuts that have been infected by ‘ad supported’ software
- Remove unwanted Scheduled Tasks
- How to remove MoneyBot with free programs
- Block annoying web sites
- How to MoneyBot get installed onto PC
- Finish words
How to manually get rid of MoneyBot
The useful removal instructions for the MoneyBot adware. The detailed procedure can be followed by anyone as it really does take you step-by-step. If you follow this process to remove MoneyBot ad supported software let us know how you managed by sending us your comments please.
Remove MoneyBot related applications through the Control Panel of your PC system
Some potentially unwanted applications, browser hijacking applications and adware can be uninstalled by uninstalling the free programs they came with. If this way does not succeed, then looking them up in the list of installed software in MS Windows Control Panel. Use the “Uninstall” command in order to remove them.
Make sure you have closed all internet browsers and other applications. Press CTRL, ALT, DEL keys together to open the Microsoft Windows Task Manager.
Click on the “Processes” tab, look for something questionable that is the MoneyBot adware that causes a huge number of annoying popup ads then right-click it and select “End Task” or “End Process” option. Most commonly, malware masks itself to avoid detection by imitating legitimate MS Windows processes. A process is particularly suspicious: it’s taking up a lot of memory (despite the fact that you closed all of your programs), its name is not familiar to you (if you’re in doubt, you can always check the program by doing a search for its name in Google, Yahoo or Bing).
Next, delete any unwanted and suspicious programs from your Control panel.
Windows 10, 8.1, 8
Now, press the Windows button, type “Control panel” in search and press Enter. Choose “Programs and Features”, then “Uninstall a program”.
Look around the entire list of programs installed on your PC system. Most likely, one of them is the MoneyBot adware that causes lots of annoying pop up ads. Choose the suspicious program or the program that name is not familiar to you and remove it.
Windows Vista, 7
From the “Start” menu in Windows, select “Control Panel”. Under the “Programs” icon, choose “Uninstall a program”.
Select the questionable or any unknown applications, then click “Uninstall/Change” button to uninstall this unwanted application from your PC system.
Click the “Start” button, select “Control Panel” option. Click on “Add/Remove Programs”.
Choose an unwanted program, then click “Change/Remove” button. Follow the prompts.
Remove MoneyBot adware from Chrome
If your Chrome web browser is rerouted to undesired MoneyBot ads, it may be necessary to completely reset your web-browser program to its default settings.
- First run the Chrome and click Menu button (small button in the form of three dots).
- It will open the Google Chrome main menu. Choose More Tools, then click Extensions.
- You’ll see the list of installed extensions. If the list has the extension labeled with “Installed by enterprise policy” or “Installed by your administrator”, then complete the following guide: Remove Chrome extensions installed by enterprise policy.
- Now open the Chrome menu once again, click the “Settings” menu.
- You will see the Chrome’s settings page. Scroll down and press “Advanced” link.
- Scroll down again and click the “Reset” button.
- The Google Chrome will open the reset profile settings page as on the image above.
- Next click the “Reset” button.
- Once this procedure is complete, your web-browser’s home page, search provider by default and new tab will be restored to their original defaults.
- To learn more, read the blog post How to reset Google Chrome settings to default.
Remove MoneyBot from Firefox by resetting web-browser settings
The Firefox reset will keep your personal information like bookmarks, passwords, web form auto-fill data, restore preferences and security settings, delete redirects to annoying MoneyBot ads and adware.
First, run the Mozilla Firefox and click button. It will show the drop-down menu on the right-part of the internet browser. Further, press the Help button () as shown in the following example.
In the Help menu, select the “Troubleshooting Information” option. Another way to open the “Troubleshooting Information” screen – type “about:support” in the internet browser adress bar and press Enter. It will display the “Troubleshooting Information” page as shown below. In the upper-right corner of this screen, click the “Refresh Firefox” button.
It will display the confirmation prompt. Further, click the “Refresh Firefox” button. The FF will start a task to fix your problems that caused by the MoneyBot adware. When, it is finished, press the “Finish” button.
Get rid of MoneyBot from Internet Explorer
By resetting Internet Explorer internet browser you restore your internet browser settings to its default state. This is first when troubleshooting problems that might have been caused by MoneyBot adware which reroutes your web browser to undesired ad web-sites.
First, run the Microsoft Internet Explorer, then press ‘gear’ icon . It will open the Tools drop-down menu on the right part of the web-browser, then click the “Internet Options” as displayed below.
In the “Internet Options” screen, select the “Advanced” tab, then click the “Reset” button. The IE will show the “Reset Internet Explorer settings” prompt. Further, press the “Delete personal settings” check box to select it. Next, click the “Reset” button as shown on the image below.
When the procedure is complete, press “Close” button. Close the IE and restart your PC for the changes to take effect. This step will help you to restore your web-browser’s home page, new tab page and default search provider to default state.
Clean up the browsers shortcuts that have been infected by ‘ad supported’ software
The MoneyBot that made to redirect your internet browser to various ad web sites, can hijack various Windows shortcuts on your desktop (most often, all internet browsers shortcut files), so in this step you need to check and clean them by removing the argument like http://site.address/.
To clear the web browser shortcut file, right-click to it and choose Properties. On the Shortcut tab, locate the Target field. Click inside, you will see a vertical line – arrow pointer, move it (using -> arrow key on your keyboard) to the right as possible. You will see a text like “http://site.address” that has been added here. You need to delete it.
When the text is removed, click the OK button. You need to clean all shortcut files of all your web browsers, as they may be hijacked too.
Remove unwanted Scheduled Tasks
Once installed, the MoneyBot software can add a task in to the Windows Task Scheduler Library. Due to this, every time when you launch your PC system, it will display an annoying web page. So, you need to check the Task Scheduler Library and remove all harmful tasks that have been created by unwanted programs.
Press Windows and R keys on your keyboard at the same time. It will display a dialog box that titled with Run. In the text field, type “taskschd.msc” (without the quotes) and click OK. Task Scheduler window opens. In the left-hand side, click “Task Scheduler Library”, as on the image below.
In the middle part you will see a list of installed tasks. Select the first task, its properties will be show just below automatically. Next, press the Actions tab. Necessary to look at the text which is written under Details. Found something such as “explorer.exe http://site.address” or “chrome.exe http://site.address” or “firefox.exe http://site.address”, then you need remove this task. If you are not sure that executes the task, then google it. If it’s a component of the ‘ad-supported’ applications, then this task also should be removed.
Further click on it with the right mouse button and select Delete as shown on the screen below.
Repeat this step, if you have found a few tasks that have been created by the MoneyBot adware. Once is complete, close the Task Scheduler window.
How to remove MoneyBot with free programs
It’s not enough to remove MoneyBot ‘ad supported’ software from your web browser by completing the manual steps above to solve all problems. Some the adware related files may remain on your PC and they will restore the ‘ad supported’ software even after you delete it. For that reason we recommend to use free anti malware tool like Zemana AntiMalware, MalwareBytes AntiMalware (MBAM) and HitmanPro. Either of those applications should has the ability to find out and get rid of MoneyBot that redirects your browser to annoying ad web-pages.
Remove MoneyBot adware with Zemana Anti-malware
We suggest using the Zemana Anti-malware that are completely clean your system of the adware. The utility is an advanced malicious software removal application created by (c) Zemana lab. It is able to help you remove PUPs, browser hijackers, malicious software, toolbars, ransomware and MoneyBot adware which cause undesired pop-up advertisements to appear.
- Please go to the following link to download Zemana Anti-Malware. Save it on your Windows desktop or in any other place.
Author: Zemana Ltd
Category: Security tools
Update: February 14, 2019
- At the download page, click on the Download button. Your browser will display the “Save as” prompt. Please save it onto your Windows desktop.
- When the downloading process is complete, please close all software and open windows on your PC. Next, launch a file named Zemana.AntiMalware.Setup.
- This will launch the “Setup wizard” of Zemana AntiMalware onto your computer. Follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
- When the Setup wizard has finished installing, the Zemana will run and show the main window.
- Further, press the “Scan” button to perform a system scan with this tool for the MoneyBot which developed to redirect your web-browser to various ad web pages. Depending on your personal computer, the scan may take anywhere from a few minutes to close to an hour. While the Zemana AntiMalware program is scanning, you can see number of objects it has identified as threat.
- After the scan is done, Zemana will show a screen that contains a list of malware that has been detected.
- In order to remove all threats, simply press the “Next” button. The utility will remove MoneyBot ad-supported software and add items to the Quarantine. When finished, you may be prompted to restart the machine.
- Close the Zemana AntiMalware and continue with the next step.
Scan and clean your computer of ad-supported software with HitmanPro
If Zemana Anti-Malware (ZAM) cannot remove this adware, then we suggests to use the HitmanPro. Hitman Pro is a free removal utility for browser hijacker infections, potentially unwanted software, toolbars and MoneyBot adware. It is specially developed to work as a second scanner for your PC system.
- Download HitmanPro on your machine by clicking on the following link.
Category: Security tools
Update: June 28, 2018
- After downloading is finished, launch the HitmanPro, double-click the HitmanPro.exe file.
- If the “User Account Control” prompts, click Yes to continue.
- In the HitmanPro window, click the “Next” . HitmanPro utility will begin scanning the whole computer to find out MoneyBot adware that cause undesired pop up advertisements to appear. This task may take some time, so please be patient. During the scan Hitman Pro will scan for threats present on your computer.
- After the scan get finished, a list of all items found is prepared. Once you have selected what you want to remove from your PC click “Next”. Now, click the “Activate free license” button to begin the free 30 days trial to remove all malicious software found.
Run Malwarebytes to remove MoneyBot
We recommend using the Malwarebytes Free. You can download and install Malwarebytes to detect ad supported software and thereby remove MoneyBot adware from your internet browsers. When installed and updated, the free malware remover will automatically scan and detect all threats exist on the PC system.
Visit the page linked below to download MalwareBytes. Save it to your Desktop so that you can access the file easily.
Category: Security tools
Update: February 5, 2019
After downloading is done, close all programs and windows on your computer. Open a directory in which you saved it. Double-click on the icon that’s named mb3-setup as displayed on the image below.
When the setup begins, you’ll see the “Setup wizard” that will help you setup Malwarebytes on your personal computer.
Once setup is finished, you will see window as displayed below.
Now click the “Scan Now” button to start checking your personal computer for the MoneyBot which redirects your internet browser to intrusive ad web sites. This procedure can take quite a while, so please be patient. While the MalwareBytes Anti-Malware is checking, you may see how many objects it has identified either as being malicious software.
Once the scan is finished, MalwareBytes Free will show a list of all items found by the scan. You may delete items (move to Quarantine) by simply press “Quarantine Selected” button.
The Malwarebytes will now remove MoneyBot adware that causes multiple undesired ads and pop-ups. Once that process is done, you may be prompted to restart your computer.
The following video explains step-by-step guide on how to remove browser hijacker, adware and other malware with MalwareBytes AntiMalware.
Block annoying web sites
It is also critical to protect your internet browsers from malicious sites and advertisements by using an adblocker program such as AdGuard. Security experts says that it will greatly reduce the risk of malicious software, and potentially save lots of money. Additionally, the AdGuard can also protect your privacy by blocking almost all trackers.
- Installing the AdGuard is simple. First you will need to download AdGuard on your computer by clicking on the link below.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: November 15, 2018
- When the downloading process is done, launch the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” program window. Follow the prompts.
- Once the setup is finished, click “Skip” to close the installation program and use the default settings, or click “Get Started” to see an quick tutorial which will help you get to know AdGuard better.
- In most cases, the default settings are enough and you don’t need to change anything. Each time, when you launch your PC system, AdGuard will launch automatically and stop pop-ups, as well as other malicious or misleading web sites. For an overview of all the features of the application, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the icon named AdGuard, which is located on your desktop.
How to MoneyBot get installed onto PC
The ad supported software is bundled within many freeware and commercial apps. This PUP can be installed in background without user consent, but usually it is introduced to a user when a downloaded program are installed. So, read term of use and user agreement very carefully before installing any software or otherwise you can end up with another ‘ad supported’ software on your PC system, such as this MoneyBot adware that causes lots of annoying popups.
Now your computer should be clean of the MoneyBot ‘ad supported’ software that developed to reroute your internet browser to various ad web-sites. We suggest that you keep Zemana AntiMalware (to periodically scan your computer for new adwares and other malicious software) and AdGuard (to help you block intrusive advertisements and harmful web-pages). Moreover, to prevent any adware, please stay clear of unknown and third party programs, make sure that your antivirus program, turn on the option to detect potentially unwanted applications.
If you need more help with MoneyBot ad-supported software related issues, go to our Spyware/Malware removal forum.