The appearance of Play Free Music as your startpage often means your PC has been infected with the undesired software from the browser hijacker category and your internet browser’s settings like the search engine, newtab page and startpage should have been modified by it without your knowledge. In this way, makers of the Play Free Music hijacker force you to use their web-page, and thereby boost traffic of the web-site to generate revenue.
Except that the Play Free Music can make changes to internet browser’s homepage and newtab, it also modifies your search engine, which leads to the fact that use of the internet browser’s search becomes uncomfortable. The reason for this is that the search results will consist of a large amount of ads, links to unwanted and ad web sites and only the remaining part is search results for your query from well-known search engines such as Google or Bing.
It is not a good idea to have an unwanted program like Play Free Music browser hijacker infection on your system. The reason for this is simple, it doing things you don’t know about. The browser hijacker infection can be used to collect your user info which can be later transferred third party companies. You don’t know if your home address, account names and passwords are safe. And of course you completely do not know what will happen when you click on any ads on the Play Free Music web-page.
Thus, it is clear that the presence of browser hijacker infection on your system is not desirable, and you need to clean up your PC system ASAP. Follow the few simple steps below in order to get rid of Play Free Music from Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and MS Edge.
Remove Play Free Music from Windows 10 (8, 7, XP)
In the guide below we will have a look at the browser hijacker and how to get rid of Play Free Music from Google Chrome, FF, MS Edge and IE internet browsers for Microsoft Windows OS, natively or by using a few free removal utilities. Read this manual carefully, bookmark or print it, because you may need to exit your browser or reboot your PC.
To remove Play Free Music, perform the following steps:
- Manual Play Free Music search removal
- Play Free Music search automatic removal
- Block Play Free Music and other undesired sites
- Method of Play Free Music hijacker intrusion into your machine
- To sum up
Manual Play Free Music search removal
Steps to get rid of Play Free Music browser hijacker infection without any apps are presented below. Be sure to carry out the step-by-step steps completely to fully delete this annoying Play Free Music redirect.
Uninstall PUPs through the Windows Control Panel
First of all, check the list of installed apps on your PC system and uninstall all unknown and recently installed apps. If you see an unknown program with incorrect spelling or varying capital letters, it have most likely been installed by malicious software and you should clean it off first with malicious software removal tool like Zemana Anti-malware.
- If you are using Windows 8, 8.1 or 10 then click Windows button, next press Search. Type “Control panel”and press Enter.
- If you are using Windows XP, Vista, 7, then click “Start” button and click “Control Panel”.
- It will show the Windows Control Panel.
- Further, click “Uninstall a program” under Programs category.
- It will show a list of all applications installed on the computer.
- Scroll through the all list, and uninstall suspicious and unknown apps. To quickly find the latest installed applications, we recommend sort software by date.
See more details in the video guidance below.
Get rid of Play Free Music startpage from Internet Explorer
If you find that IE web browser settings such as new tab, search engine by default and homepage having been hijacked, then you may revert back your settings, via the reset browser process.
First, run the IE, click ) button. Next, press “Internet Options” like below.
In the “Internet Options” screen select the Advanced tab. Next, press Reset button. The IE will show the Reset Internet Explorer settings dialog box. Select the “Delete personal settings” check box and press Reset button.
You will now need to reboot your PC for the changes to take effect. It will delete Play Free Music browser hijacker and other web-browser’s harmful extensions, disable malicious and ad-supported web-browser’s extensions and restore the IE’s settings like start page, search engine and new tab page to default state.
Delete Play Free Music start page from Mozilla Firefox
If your Firefox internet browser homepage has changed to Play Free Music without your permission or an unknown search engine displays results for your search, then it may be time to perform the web-browser reset.
First, open the Firefox. Next, click the button in the form of three horizontal stripes (). It will display the drop-down menu. Next, click the Help button ().
In the Help menu press the “Troubleshooting Information”. In the upper-right corner of the “Troubleshooting Information” page click on “Refresh Firefox” button as displayed in the figure below.
Confirm your action, click the “Refresh Firefox”.
Get rid of Play Free Music redirect from Chrome
Reset Chrome settings is a simple way to get rid of the hijacker, malicious and ‘ad-supported’ extensions, as well as to recover the web browser’s default search engine, new tab and home page that have been replaced by Play Free Music browser hijacker.
- First, start the Google Chrome and press the Menu icon (icon in the form of three dots).
- It will display the Chrome main menu. Select More Tools, then press Extensions.
- You’ll see the list of installed plugins. If the list has the extension labeled with “Installed by enterprise policy” or “Installed by your administrator”, then complete the following instructions: Remove Chrome extensions installed by enterprise policy.
- Now open the Google Chrome menu once again, press the “Settings” menu.
- Next, click “Advanced” link, that located at the bottom of the Settings page.
- On the bottom of the “Advanced settings” page, press the “Reset settings to their original defaults” button.
- The Google Chrome will open the reset settings prompt as shown on the screen above.
- Confirm the web browser’s reset by clicking on the “Reset” button.
- To learn more, read the blog post How to reset Google Chrome settings to default.
Play Free Music search automatic removal
If your computer is still infected with the Play Free Music browser hijacker, then the best way of detection and removal is to use an anti-malware scan on the PC. Download free malware removal tools below and launch a full system scan. It will allow you get rid of all components of the hijacker from hardisk and Windows registry.
Use Zemana Anti Malware (ZAM) to remove Play Free Music
Zemana Anti-Malware highly recommended, because it can detect security threats such ‘ad supported’ software and hijacker infections which most ‘classic’ antivirus applications fail to pick up on. Moreover, if you have any Play Free Music hijacker removal problems which cannot be fixed by this utility automatically, then Zemana Anti Malware provides 24X7 online assistance from the highly experienced support staff.
Visit the following page to download the latest version of Zemana for Microsoft Windows. Save it to your Desktop.
Author: Zemana Ltd
Category: Security tools
Update: March 3, 2018
When the downloading process is finished, run it and follow the prompts. Once installed, the Zemana Free will try to update itself and when this process is done, click the “Scan” button to scan for hijacker that redirects your internet browser to intrusive Play Free Music web page.
This process can take quite a while, so please be patient. While the tool is checking, you can see count of objects and files has already scanned. All found threats will be marked. You can remove them all by simply press “Next” button.
The Zemana will get rid of hijacker infection which changes web browser settings to replace your start page, search engine by default and new tab with Play Free Music web page.
Delete Play Free Music with Malwarebytes
You can remove Play Free Music home page automatically with a help of Malwarebytes Free. We advise this free malicious software removal utility because it can easily remove hijacker infections, ad-supported software, PUPs and toolbars with all their components such as files, folders and registry entries.
Please go to the following link to download MalwareBytes Anti-Malware. Save it on your Microsoft Windows desktop.
Category: Security tools
Update: March 20, 2018
Once the download is complete, run it and follow the prompts. Once installed, the MalwareBytes AntiMalware will try to update itself and when this task is finished, click the “Scan Now” button to perform a system scan with this utility for the browser hijacker that causes web browsers to display annoying Play Free Music web-site. Depending on your machine, the scan can take anywhere from a few minutes to close to an hour. During the scan MalwareBytes Anti-Malware will find out threats exist on your computer. You may move items to Quarantine (all selected by default) by simply click “Quarantine Selected” button.
The MalwareBytes Anti Malware is a free application that you can use to delete all detected folders, files, services, registry entries and so on. To learn more about this malware removal utility, we recommend you to read and follow the step by step guidance or the video guide below.
Double-check for potentially unwanted programs with AdwCleaner
AdwCleaner is a free tool which can identify browser hijacker that responsible for browser reroute to the undesired Play Free Music web-page. It’s not always easy to locate all the undesired apps that your PC might have picked up on the Internet. AdwCleaner will find the ad supported software, hijacker infections and other malicious software you need to uninstall.
- Installing the AdwCleaner is simple. First you will need to download AdwCleaner from the link below.
Author: Xplode, MalwareBytes
Category: Security tools
Update: January 8, 2019
- Select the folder in which you saved it as Desktop, and then press Save.
- After the download is done, start the AdwCleaner, double-click the adwcleaner_xxx.exe file.
- If the “User Account Control” prompts, press Yes to continue.
- In the AdwCleaner window, click the “Scan” . AdwCleaner program will scan through the whole PC system for the browser hijacker infection that made to redirect your web-browser to the Play Free Music site. This process can take quite a while, so please be patient. While the AdwCleaner tool is checking, you may see number of objects it has identified as being affected by malware.
- Once the scan is done, AdwCleaner will show a screen that contains a list of malicious software that has been detected. All found items will be marked. You can get rid of them all by simply click “Clean”. If the AdwCleaner will ask you to restart your PC system, click “OK”.
The steps shown in detail in the following video.
Block Play Free Music and other undesired sites
Use an ad blocking tool like AdGuard will protect you from malicious ads and content. Moreover, you can find that the AdGuard have an option to protect your privacy and stop phishing and spam web-sites. Additionally, adblocker applications will help you to avoid intrusive pop ups and unverified links that also a good way to stay safe online.
Click the following link to download AdGuard. Save it directly to your Windows Desktop.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: July 17, 2017
After downloading is done, start the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” screen as displayed in the following example.
Follow the prompts. After the install is finished, you will see a window as shown on the image below.
You can click “Skip” to close the installation application and use the default settings, or click “Get Started” button to see an quick tutorial which will help you get to know AdGuard better.
In most cases, the default settings are enough and you don’t need to change anything. Each time, when you launch your system, AdGuard will run automatically and block pop ups, Play Free Music redirect, as well as other malicious or misleading web-pages. For an overview of all the features of the program, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the AdGuard icon, that may be found on your desktop.
Method of Play Free Music hijacker intrusion into your machine
To sum up
Now your personal computer should be free of the browser hijacker infection responsible for changing your web-browser settings to Play Free Music. Uninstall AdwCleaner. We suggest that you keep Zemana Free (to periodically scan your computer for new browser hijackers and other malware) and AdGuard (to help you block unwanted pop-ups and harmful web pages). Moreover, to prevent browser hijackers, please stay clear of unknown and third party apps, make sure that your antivirus application, turn on the option to find PUPs.
If you need more help with Play Free Music related issues, go to our Spyware/Malware removal forum.