The CompariShop is a PUP (potentially unwanted program) from the ‘ad-supported’ software (also known as adware) category. Once started, it may generate a large amount of popup ads or change the internet browser’s settings to show ads on all web-sites that you are opening in the web browser, even on those pages where before you did not see any advertisements. We recommend you to clean you computer from adware and thereby get rid of CompariShop ads. You need to perform the steps below as soon as possible. It will remove CompariShop adware and protect your MAC OS from more harmful software and trojans.
It is probably that you might be bothered with the CompariShop ad-supported software that causes undesired advertisements. You should not disregard this undesired software. The ‘ad supported’ software might not only open undesired advertisements, but reroute your web-browser to malicious web-sites. What is more, the ‘ad supported’ software can analyze your surfing, and gain access to your privacy info and, afterwards, can transfer it third party companies. Thus, there are more than enough reasons to remove CompariShop adware from your MAC system.
We strongly suggest that you perform the guidance below which will help you to get rid of CompariShop ad-supported software using the standard features of Apple Mac and some proven free software.
Remove CompariShop adware (removal tutorial)
When the ad-supported software gets installed on your MAC without your knowledge, it’s not easy to remove. Most often, there is no Uninstall application which simply uninstall the CompariShop ‘ad supported’ software that redirects your internet browser to undesired ad web-pages from your Apple Mac. So, we recommend using well-proven free specialized tool like MalwareBytes Anti Malware (MBAM). But the best way to remove CompariShop adware will be to perform several manual steps, after that additionally run antimalware tools.
To remove CompariShop, perform the following steps:
- Manual CompariShop ad supported software removal
- CompariShop automatic removal
- Stop unwanted ads and other annoying web-sites
- How did you get infected with CompariShop ‘ad supported’ software
- Finish words
Manual CompariShop ad supported software removal
These steps to remove CompariShop adware without any software are presented below. Be sure to carry out the step-by-step tutorial completely to fully remove this CompariShop that causes web-browsers to show intrusive popup advertisements.
Removing the CompariShop, check the list of installed applications first
First, you should try to identify and remove the program that causes the appearance of intrusive ads or web-browser redirect, using the ‘Applications’ list that located in the Finder.
Make sure you have closed all web browsers and other applications. Next, delete any unknown and suspicious software from machine using the Finder.
Open Finder and click “Applications”.
Look around the entire list of software installed on your MAC OS. Most likely, one of them is the CompariShop adware that causes multiple intrusive advertisements and pop-ups. Select the dubious application or the program that name is not familiar to you and delete it.
Drag the suspicious program from the Applications folder to the Trash.
Most important, don’t forget, select Finder -> Empty Trash.
Delete CompariShop from Mozilla Firefox by resetting web-browser settings
Resetting your FF is first troubleshooting step for any issues with your web browser program, including the redirect to CompariShop ads.
First, open the Firefox and click button. It will open the drop-down menu on the right-part of the internet browser. Further, click the Help button () as shown in the following example.
In the Help menu, select the “Troubleshooting Information” option. Another way to open the “Troubleshooting Information” screen – type “about:support” in the browser adress bar and press Enter. It will display the “Troubleshooting Information” page as on the image below. In the upper-right corner of this screen, press the “Refresh Firefox” button.
It will display the confirmation dialog box. Further, press the “Refresh Firefox” button. The FF will start a procedure to fix your problems that caused by the CompariShop ad supported software that causes lots of unwanted pop-up advertisements. Once, it’s finished, press the “Finish” button.
Get rid of CompariShop ad supported software from Safari
If you find that Safari browser settings such as startpage, new tab and default search engine having been changed by CompariShop that designed to redirect your internet browser to various ad web pages, then you may return your settings, via the reset internet browser procedure.
Click Safari menu and select “Preferences”.
It will open the Safari Preferences window. Next, click the “Extensions” tab. Look for unknown and suspicious extensions on left panel, select it, then click the “Uninstall” button. Most important to get rid of all unknown plugins from Safari.
Once complete, click “General” tab. Change the “Default Search Engine” to Google.
Find the “Homepage” and type into textfield “https://www.google.com”.
Remove CompariShop adware from Google Chrome
Like other modern browsers, the Google Chrome has the ability to reset the settings to their default values and thereby restore the web browser’s settings like newtab, start page and default search provider that have been modified by the CompariShop that causes annoying popup ads.
- First start the Chrome and click Menu button (small button in the form of three dots).
- It will open the Google Chrome main menu. Choose More Tools, then click Extensions.
- You will see the list of installed extensions. If the list has the addon labeled with “Installed by enterprise policy” or “Installed by your administrator”, then complete the following steps: Remove Chrome extensions installed by enterprise policy.
- Now open the Chrome menu once again, press the “Settings” menu.
- You will see the Google Chrome’s settings page. Scroll down and press “Advanced” link.
- Scroll down again and click the “Reset” button.
- The Chrome will open the reset profile settings page as on the image above.
- Next press the “Reset” button.
- Once this process is finished, your web browser’s start page, new tab page and default search engine will be restored to their original defaults.
- To learn more, read the blog post How to reset Chrome settings to default.
CompariShop automatic removal
Manual removal steps does not always help to completely get rid of the ‘ad supported’ software, as it’s not easy to identify and remove components of adware and all malicious files from hard disk. Therefore, it is recommended that you run malware removal utility to completely delete CompariShop off your browser. Several free malware removal tools are currently available that can be used against the adware. The optimum way would be to use MalwareBytes Free.
Use MalwareBytes AntiMalware (MBAM) to remove CompariShop
We suggest using the MalwareBytes Anti Malware (MBAM) which are completely clean your Apple Mac of the adware. The free utility is an advanced malware removal program created by (c) Malwarebytes lab. This program uses the world’s most popular anti malware technology. It’s able to help you remove undesired CompariShop adware from your web browsers, PUPs, malicious software, browser hijackers, toolbars, ransomware and other security threats from your machine for free.
- Installing the MalwareBytes Anti Malware is simple. First you’ll need to download MalwareBytes on your MS Windows Desktop by clicking on the link below.
Malwarebytes Anti-malware (Mac)
Category: Security tools
Update: May 10, 2017
- When downloading is finished, close all programs and windows on your machine. Open a file location. Run the downloaded file and follow the prompts.
- Click the “Scan” button . MalwareBytes Anti Malware program will scan through the whole Apple Mac for the CompariShop that causes multiple unwanted advertisements and popups. Depending on your MAC OS, the scan can take anywhere from a few minutes to close to an hour.
- When the scan is finished, MalwareBytes Free will open a screen that contains a list of malware that has been detected. Review the results once the utility has finished the system scan. If you think an entry should not be quarantined, then uncheck it. Otherwise, simply click “Remove Selected Items”.
Stop unwanted ads and other annoying web-sites
Use an ad-blocking tool such as AdGuard will protect you from harmful ads and content. Moreover, you may find that the AdGuard have an option to protect your privacy and stop phishing and spam sites. Additionally, ad-blocker programs will help you to avoid annoying pop-up advertisements and unverified links that also a good way to stay safe online.
Please go to the link below to download the latest version of AdGuard for Apple Mac.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: January 17, 2018
When the downloading process is finished, run the downloaded file. The “Setup Wizard” window will show up on the computer screen.
Follow the prompts. AdGuard will then be installed. A window will show up asking you to confirm that you want to see a quick instructions. Click “Skip” button to close the window and use the default settings, or click “Get Started” to see an quick tutorial which will assist you get to know AdGuard better.
Each time, when you start your machine, AdGuard will start automatically and stop pop-up ads, as well as other harmful or misleading web sites.
How did you get infected with CompariShop ‘ad supported’ software
Once you’ve done the guide shown above, your MAC system should be clean from CompariShop adware which reroutes your web-browser to undesired ad web-pages and other malicious software. The Mozilla Firefox, Safari and Chrome will no longer redirect you to CompariShop ads. Unfortunately, if the few simple steps does not help you, then you have caught a new ‘ad supported’ software, and then the best way – ask for help in our Spyware/Malware removal forum.