The Chrome-updates.win instead of your start page is a sign of appearance of unwanted software from the browser hijacker family on your computer. It can bring a security risk to your personal computer. So, don’t ignore it! Of course, the Chrome-updates.win is just a web-page, but the hijacker virus uses it to change your startpage, newtab page and default search provider, without your permission and desire to see it. The Chrome-updates.win as your homepage may be just the beginning, because your system is infected by malware, that in the future may increase the amount of problems with the Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge. Its appearance will prevent you normally browse the Net, and more, may lead to crash the web browser.
When you’re performing searches using the browser that has been affected with Chrome-updates.win, the search results will be returned from Bing, Yahoo or Google Custom Search. The makers of Chrome-updates.win browser hijacker virus are most probably doing this to make advertisement revenue from the ads displayed in the search results.
Often, the machine which has been infected by Chrome-updates.win browser hijacker virus, will be also infected with adware (sometimes named ‘ad-supported’ software) which displays lots of various ads. It may be pop-ups, text links in the web sites, banners where they never had. What is more, the adware can replace the legitimate ads with malicious advertisements that will offer to download and install malicious software and unwanted software or visit the various dangerous and misleading sites.
The Chrome-updates.win virus mostly affects only the Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox and Edge. However, possible situations, when any other internet browsers will be affected too. The hijacker virus will perform a scan of the personal computer for web browser shortcuts and modify them without your permission. When it infects the internet browser shortcuts, it will add the argument like ‘http://site.address’ into Target property. So, each time you start the web browser, you will see the Chrome-updates.win unwanted web-site.
Table of contents
- What is Chrome-updates.win
- Remove Chrome-updates.win virus
- Delete Chrome-updates.win redirect virus without any tools
- Uninstall Chrome-updates.win related applications through the Control Panel of your personal computer
- Fix infected web browsers shortcuts to remove Chrome-updates.win virus
- Get rid of Chrome-updates.win redirect virus from Internet Explorer
- Remove Chrome-updates.win redirect virus from Chrome
- Remove Chrome-updates.win from FF by resetting internet browser settings
- Use free malware removal tools to completely delete Chrome-updates.win virus
- Delete Chrome-updates.win redirect virus without any tools
- How to stop Chrome-updates.win redirect virus
- Where the Chrome-updates.win virus comes from
- Finish words
It’s important, don’t use Chrome-updates.win web site and don’t click on advertisements placed on it, as they can lead you to a more malicious or misleading web-pages. The best option is to use the few simple steps posted below to free your PC of hijacker virus, remove the Chrome-updates.win redirect virus, and thereby revert back your previous homepage and search engine.
Remove Chrome-updates.win virus
Even if you have the up-to-date classic antivirus installed, and you have checked your personal computer for malware and removed anything found, you need to do the tutorial below. The Chrome-updates.win browser virus removal is not simple as installing another antivirus. Classic antivirus software are not designed to run together and will conflict with each other, or possibly crash Microsoft Windows. Instead we recommend complete the manual steps below after that use Zemana Anti-malware, Malwarebytes or AdwCleaner, which are free applications dedicated to scan for and remove malware such as Chrome-updates.win browser hijacker virus. Run these utilities to ensure the hijacker virus is removed.
Delete Chrome-updates.win redirect virus without any tools
The few simple steps will help you delete Chrome-updates.win virus. These Chrome-updates.win removal steps work for the Chrome, Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox and Microsoft Edge, as well as every version of Windows operating system.
It is of primary importance to first identify and delete all PUPs, adware programs and browser hijacker infections through ‘Add/Remove Programs’ (Windows XP) or ‘Uninstall a program’ (Windows 10, 8, 7) section of your Microsoft Windows Control Panel.
Windows 8, 8.1, 10
Windows XP, Vista, 7
Next, press “Uninstall a program”
It will open a list of all programs installed on your PC system. Scroll through the all list, and remove any suspicious and unknown applications. To quickly find the latest installed programs, we recommend sort applications by date in the Control panel.
Fix infected web browsers shortcuts to remove Chrome-updates.win virus
Now you need to clean up the browser shortcuts. Check that the shortcut referring to the right exe-file of the browser, and not on any unknown file.
Open the properties of the web browser shortcut. Right click on the shortcut of infected web-browser and select the “Properties” option and it’ll display the properties of the shortcut. Next, select the “Shortcut” tab and have a look at the Target field like below.
Normally, if the last word in the Target field is chrome.exe, iexplore.exe, firefox.exe. Be sure to pay attention to the extension, should be “exe”! All shortcuts that have been altered by hijacker virus such as Chrome-updates.win usually point to .bat, .cmd or .url files instead of .exe as on the image below
Another variant, an address has been added at the end of the line. In this case the Target field looks like …Application\chrome.exe” http://site.address as shown on the image below.
In order to fix a shortcut, you need to insert right path to the Target field or remove an address (if it has been added at the end). You can use the following information to fix your shortcuts which have been changed by virus.
|Chrome||C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe|
|Firefox||C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe|
|Microsoft Internet Explorer||C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe|
|C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe|
|Opera||C:\Program Files (x86)\Opera\launcher.exe|
Once is complete, click OK to save changes. Repeat the step for all web-browsers that are rerouted to the Chrome-updates.win intrusive web-page.
Get rid of Chrome-updates.win redirect virus from Internet Explorer
If you find that Internet Explorer browser settings such as homepage, new tab page and default search engine having been hijacked, then you may return your settings, via the reset web-browser process.
First, launch the Internet Explorer, then press ‘gear’ icon . It will show the Tools drop-down menu on the right part of the browser, then press the “Internet Options” as shown on the screen below.
In the “Internet Options” screen, select the “Advanced” tab, then click the “Reset” button. The IE will open the “Reset Internet Explorer settings” dialog box. Further, press the “Delete personal settings” check box to select it. Next, press the “Reset” button as shown below.
Once the procedure is finished, click “Close” button. Close the Internet Explorer and reboot your computer for the changes to take effect. This step will help you to restore your web browser’s home page, newtab page and search engine by default to default state.
Remove Chrome-updates.win redirect virus from Chrome
Like other modern browsers, the Chrome has the ability to reset the settings to their default values and thereby recover the browser newtab, startpage and search engine by default that have been modified by the Chrome-updates.win virus.
First run the Google Chrome. Next, click the button in the form of three horizontal stripes (). It will open the main menu. Further, click the option named “Settings”. Another way to open the Chrome’s settings – type chrome://settings in the internet browser adress bar and press Enter.
The web-browser will show the settings screen. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click the “Show advanced settings” link. Now scroll down until the “Reset settings” section is visible, as shown in the figure below and press the “Reset settings” button.
The Chrome will show the confirmation prompt. You need to confirm your action, click the “Reset” button. The browser will launch the task of cleaning. Once it’s finished, the internet browser’s settings including startpage, newtab page and default search engine back to the values that have been when the Chrome was first installed on your PC.
Remove Chrome-updates.win from FF by resetting internet browser settings
If the Mozilla Firefox browser program is hijacked, then resetting its settings can help. The Reset feature is available on all modern version of Mozilla Firefox. A reset can fix many issues by restoring Firefox settings such as startpage, newtab and search provider by default to its default state. It will save your personal information like saved passwords, bookmarks, and open tabs.
First, start the Firefox and click button. It will show the drop-down menu on the right-part of the browser. Further, click the Help button () as on the image below
In the Help menu, select the “Troubleshooting Information” option. Another way to open the “Troubleshooting Information” screen – type “about:support” in the web browser adress bar and press Enter. It will display the “Troubleshooting Information” page as on the image below. In the upper-right corner of this screen, press the “Refresh Firefox” button.
It will open the confirmation prompt. Further, click the “Refresh Firefox” button. The Firefox will begin a task to fix your problems that caused by the Chrome-updates.win browser hijacker virus. After, it is finished, click the “Finish” button.
Use free malware removal tools to completely delete Chrome-updates.win virus
The virus may hide its components which are difficult for you to find out and delete completely. This may lead to the fact that after some time, the hijacker virus again infect your computer and modify current settings of all your typical web-browsers to Chrome-updates.win. Moreover, I want to note that it is not always safe to delete virus manually, if you don’t have much experience in setting up and configuring the Microsoft Windows operating system. The best way to detect and get rid of browser hijacker viruss is to run free malware removal applications.
Remove Chrome-updates.win redirect virus with Zemana Anti-malware
Zemana Anti-malware is a utility that can remove ad-supported software, PUPs, browser hijacker infections and other malware from your system easily and for free. Zemana Anti-malware is compatible with most antivirus software. It works under Windows (10 – XP, 32 and 64 bit) and uses minimum of PC resources.
- Please download Zemana Anti Malware to your desktop by clicking on the following link.
Author: Zemana Ltd
Category: Security tools
Update: April 20, 2017
- At the download page, click on the Download button. Your browser will open the “Save as” dialog box. Please save it onto your Windows desktop.
- After the downloading process is done, please close all programs and open windows on your computer. Next, start a file named Zemana.AntiMalware.Setup.
- This will start the “Setup wizard” of Zemana Anti-Malware onto your system. Follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
- When the Setup wizard has finished installing, the Anti-Malware will start and open the main window.
- Further, press the “Scan” button . This will start scanning the whole personal computer to find out browser hijacker infection that causes web browsers to open unwanted Chrome-updates.win site.
- After the scan is complete, it’ll display you the results.
- When you are ready, click the “Next” button. The utility will start to get rid of browser hijacker infection which developed to redirect your browser to the Chrome-updates.win web site. After that process is finished, you may be prompted to reboot the computer.
- Close the Zemana Anti-Malware and continue with the next step.
Use Malwarebytes to delete browser virus
Remove Chrome-updates.win virus manually is difficult and often the virus is not completely removed. Therefore, we suggest you to use the Malwarebytes Free that are completely clean your machine. Moreover, the free program will allow you to get rid of malware, potentially unwanted applications, toolbars and ad-supported software that your machine can be infected too.
- Download Malwarebytes (MBAM) by clicking on the link below.
Category: Security tools
Update: November 9, 2017
- Once the downloading process is complete, close all programs and windows on your personal computer. Open a directory in which you saved it. Double-click on the icon that’s named mb3-setup.
- Further, click Next button and follow the prompts.
- Once install is finished, click the “Scan Now” button It will scan through the whole PC for the hijacker that cause Chrome-updates.win web-site to appear. A system scan may take anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes, depending on your computer. When a malicious software, ad supported software or PUPs are detected, the number of the security threats will change accordingly.
- Once the scanning is done, it will open you the results. Next, you need to press “Quarantine Selected”. Once that process is done, you can be prompted to restart your personal computer.
The following video offers a step-by-step guide on how to get rid of hijackers, ‘ad supported’ software and other malicious software with Malwarebytes.
Scan and clean your computer of browser virus with AdwCleaner
AdwCleaner is a free portable program that scans your system for adware, PUPs and browser hijacker viruss like Chrome-updates.win and allows get rid of them easily. Moreover, it’ll also allow you remove any harmful browser extensions and add-ons.
- Download AdwCleaner by clicking on the link below.
Category: Security tools
Update: October 27, 2017
- When the downloading process is finished, double click the AdwCleaner icon. Once this utility is launched, click “Scan” button . This will begin scanning the whole computer to find out Chrome-updates.win hijacker and other web-browser’s harmful extensions. A scan can take anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes, depending on the number of files on your machine and the speed of your machine. While the utility is checking, you may see how many objects it has identified either as being malware.
- After it has completed scanning your personal computer, you’ll be shown the list of all detected items on your personal computer. All detected items will be marked. You can remove them all by simply press “Clean” button. It will open a prompt, click “OK”.
These few simple steps are shown in detail in the following video guide.
How to stop Chrome-updates.win redirect virus
It’s important to use adblocker programs such as AdGuard to protect your computer from malicious web-pages. Most security experts says that it’s okay to block ads. You should do so just to stay safe! And, of course, the AdGuard may to stop Chrome-updates.win and other annoying sites.
Download AdGuard program by clicking on the following link.
Author: © Adguard
Category: Security tools
Update: May 10, 2017
After downloading is finished, launch the downloaded file. You will see the “Setup Wizard” screen as shown below.
Follow the prompts. After the installation is finished, you will see a window as shown below.
You can click “Skip” to close the installation program and use the default settings, or press “Get Started” button to see an quick tutorial which will assist you get to know AdGuard better.
In most cases, the default settings are enough and you do not need to change anything. Each time, when you launch your computer, AdGuard will start automatically and block pop up ads, web pages such Chrome-updates.win, as well as other malicious or misleading web-pages. For an overview of all the features of the program, or to change its settings you can simply double-click on the AdGuard icon, that can be found on your desktop.
Where the Chrome-updates.win virus comes from
These days some free applications creators bundle additional software which could be potentially unwanted applications like the Chrome-updates.win browser hijacker virus, with a view to making some money. These are not freeware as install an unwanted software on to your Windows computer. So whenever you install a new free application that downloaded from the World Wide Web, be very careful during installation. Carefully read the EULA (a text with I ACCEPT/I DECLINE button), choose custom or manual setup mode, uncheck all third-party programs.
Now your personal computer should be free of the Chrome-updates.win virus. Uninstall AdwCleaner. We suggest that you keep Malwarebytes (to periodically scan your computer for new malware, browser hijacker viruss and ‘ad supported’ software) and AdGuard (to help you stop intrusive popup ads and harmful web sites). Moreover, to prevent browser viruss, please stay clear of unknown and third party software, make sure that your antivirus program, turn on the option to scan for PUPs (potentially unwanted programs).
If you need more help with Chrome-updates.win virus related issues, go to our Spyware/Malware removal forum.