The Unwanted Browser Toolbar is a potentially unwanted software that could bring various problems to your computer. Once installed, it alters your internet browser’s settings, making your startpage, new tab and search engine by default to become its own web-site. You may have certain problems like being redirected to undesired web-sites, receiving tons of unwanted popup advertisements, and user data being gathered without any knowledge, while this browser toolbar is installed on your computer.
Table of contents
- What is Unwanted Browser Toolbar
- How to remove Unwanted Browser Toolbar from computer
- Manual Unwanted browser toolbar removal
- Unwanted Browser Toolbar removal tools
- Method of Unwanted browser toolbar intrusion into your computer
- To sum up
In order to force you to use an unwanted search engine as often as possible this web browser toolbar can alter your internet browsers’ search provider settings. You may even find that your system’s browser shortcuts and Windows HOSTS file are hijacked without your knowledge and conscious permission. The creators of this internet browser toolbar do so in order to make revenue via Google AdSence or another third-party ad network.
Often, the machine which has been infected with Unwanted browser toolbar, will be also infected with ‘ad-supported’ software (also known as adware) that shows a lot of various advertisements. It can be pop-ups, text links in the sites, banners where they never had. What is more, the adware can replace the legitimate ads with malicious ads that will offer to download and install malware and other unwanted applications or visit the various dangerous and misleading sites.
The internet browser toolbar such often change all browser shortcuts that located on your Desktop to force you visit certain ad web-pages and display unwanted popup advertisements. As a result, your internet browser can still redirect you to an intrusive page despite your web browser is actually clean of web browser toolbar.
It’s important, do not use Unwanted browser toolbar and don’t click on links placed on it, as they can lead you to a more harmful or misleading web sites. The best option is to use the steps posted below to get rid of unwanted browser toolbar, and thereby restore your favorite start page and search provider.
How to remove Unwanted Browser Toolbar from computer
As with deleting adware, malware or PUPs, there are few steps you may do. We suggest trying them all. If you do only one part of the instructions, then it should be use browser toolbar removal tool, because it should remove unwanted toolbar and block any further infection. But to completely remove an Unwanted browser toolbar you will have to at least reset your web browser settings such as home page, newtab and default search engine to default state, uninstall all unwanted and suspicious applications, and remove unwanted browser toolbar with malicious software removal tools. Read this manual carefully, bookmark or print it, because you may need to exit your web browser or restart your PC system.
Manual Unwanted browser toolbar removal
Most common web browser toolbars may be deleted without any antivirus programs. The manual toolbar removal is easy steps that will teach you how to uninstall any Unwanted browser toolbar.
Uninstall potentially unwanted programs through the Windows Control Panel
The process of browser toolbar removal is generally the same across all versions of Windows OS from 10 to XP. To start with, it’s necessary to check the list of installed applications on your PC system and uninstall all unused, unknown and suspicious applications.
Windows 8, 8.1, 10
Windows XP, Vista, 7
Next, click “Uninstall a program”
It will display a list of all applications installed on your computer. Scroll through the all list, and remove any suspicious and unknown applications. To quickly find the latest installed software, we recommend sort software by date in the Control panel.
Delete Unwanted browser toolbar from Firefox
If the Firefox browser program is hijacked, then resetting its settings can help. The Reset feature is available on all modern version of Firefox. A reset can fix many issues by restoring Mozilla Firefox settings such as new tab, home page and search provider by default to its default state. It will save your personal information such as saved passwords, bookmarks, and open tabs.
Start the Mozilla Firefox and press the menu button (it looks like three stacked lines) at the top right of the internet browser screen. Next, press the question-mark icon at the bottom of the drop-down menu. It will display the slide-out menu.
Select the “Troubleshooting information”. If you’re unable to access the Help menu, then type “about:support” in your address bar and press Enter. It bring up the “Troubleshooting Information” page as shown on the screen below.
Click the “Refresh Firefox” button at the top right of the Troubleshooting Information page. Select “Refresh Firefox” in the confirmation prompt. The FF will start a procedure to fix your problems that caused by the Unwanted browser toolbar. When, it is finished, press the “Finish” button.
Get rid of browser toolbar from Internet Explorer
In order to remove browser toolbar and recover all internet browser startpage, new tab and search engine by default you need to reset the IE to the state, which was when the Windows was installed on your machine.
First, launch the Internet Explorer. Next, click the button in the form of gear (). It will display the Tools drop-down menu, press the “Internet Options” as shown in the figure below.
In the “Internet Options” window click on the Advanced tab, then click the Reset button. The Internet Explorer will open the “Reset Internet Explorer settings” window as shown on the image below. Select the “Delete personal settings” check box, then press “Reset” button.
You will now need to restart your PC for the changes to take effect.
Remove Unwanted browser toolbar from Google Chrome
Reset Chrome settings is a simple way to delete an browser toolbar, harmful and adware extensions, as well as to recover the internet browser’s start page, new tab page and search provider by default that have been changed by toolbar.
- First run the Chrome and click Menu button (small button in the form of three horizontal stripes).
- It will open the Chrome main menu. Select “Settings” option.
- You will see the Chrome’s settings page. Scroll down and press “Show advanced settings” link.
- Scroll down again and click the “Reset settings” button.
- The Chrome will show the reset profile settings page as shown on the image above.
- Next press the “Reset” button.
- Once this task is complete, your browser’s newtab, startpage and search provider by default will be restored to their original defaults.
- To learn more, read the article How to reset Google Chrome settings to default.
Unwanted Browser Toolbar removal tools
After completing the manual removal guidance above all unwanted browser toolbars and web browser’s extensions should be deleted. If the problem with an Unwanted browser toolbar is still remained, then we recommend to scan your PC for any remaining malicious components. Run recommended free internet browser toolbar removal applications below.
Use Zemana Anti-malware to remove Unwanted browser toolbar
We suggest you to use the Zemana Anti-malware that are completely clean your personal computer. Moreover, the utility will help you to delete potentially unwanted software, malware, browser toolbars and adware that your computer can be infected too.
- Download Zemana anti malware (ZAM) by clicking on the link below.
Author: Zemana Ltd
Category: Security tools
Update: March 3, 2018
- After the download is done, close all programs and windows on your computer. Open a folder in which you saved it. Double-click on the icon that’s named Zemana.AntiMalware.Setup.
- Further, press Next button and follow the prompts.
- Once installation is finished, click the “Scan” button to perform a system scan for the browser toolbar and browser’s malicious addons. This process can take some time, so please be patient.
- When it has finished scanning your system, a list of all threats detected is produced. Make sure all entries have ‘checkmark’ and click “Next”. Once disinfection is done, you can be prompted to reboot your system.
Use Malwarebytes to remove browser toolbar
Get rid of Unwanted web-browser toolbar manually is difficult and often the internet browser toolbar is not completely removed. Therefore, we recommend you to use the Malwarebytes Free which are completely clean your PC system. Moreover, the free program will help you to delete malicious software, potentially unwanted applications, browser toolbars and ad supported software that your computer may be infected too.
- Download Malwarebytes (MBAM) by clicking on the link below.
Category: Security tools
Update: March 20, 2018
- After the download is finished, close all software and windows on your machine. Open a file location. Double-click on the icon that’s named mb3-setup.
- Further, press Next button and follow the prompts.
- Once installation is finished, click the “Scan Now” button to begin checking your machine for an unwanted browser toolbar and other malicious software. A system scan can take anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes, depending on your system. While the program is checking, you can see how many objects it has identified as threat.
- When it has finished scanning your personal computer, a list of all items detected is produced. In order to get rid of all threats, simply click “Quarantine Selected”. Once disinfection is finished, you can be prompted to restart your machine.
The following video offers a guidance on how to remove browser hijacker with Malwarebytes.
If the problem with Unwanted browser toolbar is still remained
The AdwCleaner tool is free and easy to use. It may scan and delete unwanted browser toolbars, malware, PUPs and adware in Google Chrome, Microsoft Internet Explorer, FF and Edge browsers and thereby return their default settings (homepage, new tab page and search provider by default). AdwCleaner is powerful enough to find and get rid of malicious registry entries and files that are hidden on the computer.
Download AdwCleaner from the link below.
Author: Xplode, MalwareBytes
Category: Security tools
Update: September 24, 2018
When downloading is done, open the file location. You will see an icon like below.
Double click the AdwCleaner desktop icon. When the utility is started, you will see a screen as shown on the screen below.
Further, click “Scan” button to perform a system scan with this utility for an Unwanted browser toolbar and other malicious software. This task may take some time, so please be patient. When it has finished scanning, a list of all items found is produced as shown on the screen below.
When you are ready, click “Clean” button. It will display a dialog box as shown on the screen below.
You need to press “OK”. Once the cleaning procedure is complete, the AdwCleaner may ask you to reboot your PC. When your personal computer is started, you will see an AdwCleaner log.
These steps are shown in detail in the following video guide.
Method of Unwanted browser toolbar intrusion into your computer
To sum up
Now your system should be clean of an Unwanted web browser toolbar. Uninstall AdwCleaner. We suggest that you keep AdGuard (to help you block unwanted pop-ups and annoying malicious web sites) and Malwarebytes (to periodically scan your PC for new browser hijackers, malware and adware). Probably you are running an older version of Java or Adobe Flash Player. This can be a security risk, so download and install the latest version right now.
If you are still having problems while trying to remove Unwanted browser toolbar from the Google Chrome, Microsoft Internet Explorer, FF and Microsoft Edge, then ask for help in our Spyware/Malware removal forum.